IGNORED

"all I Need Is To Know Is I Have A Chance"

mozo

I want him back in the side after watching some of his highlights on Soccer Night (and seeing basso's kicking every week).

He wants to know that the chance of a recall is there or he's off was basically his statement.

I hope he stays.

Hope he plays?

I want him back in the side after watching some of his highlights on Soccer Night (and seeing basso's kicking every week).

He wants to know that the chance of a recall is there or he's off was basically his statement.

I hope he stays.

Hope he plays?

Cheers for reminding me it was on, I always forget! (can't find a smilie that coveys sarcasm)

I like Phillips, he's been a long serving keeper for this club and deserves some loyalty in return.

I like Basso too, but if he does slip up enough to give Phillips a go, then it's only fair that phillips does get a re-call.

Can Phillips 'Do The Basso' though???? :dance:

I hope he stays.

Hope he plays?

Highlight are called highlights for a reason.

I am fairly unopinionated on the Steve/Basso dillema, (notice none of Steve's kicking featured on Soccer Night tonight) am still to busy reminicing from that night at The Rugby Pitch to really care at the moment though.

PHILLIPS SENT THE GAS DOWN!!!

Cheers for reminding me it was on, I always forget! (can't find a smilie that coveys sarcasm)

I like Phillips, he's been a long serving keeper for this club and deserves some loyalty in return.

I like Basso too, but if he does slip up enough to give Phillips a go, then it's only fair that phillips does get a re-call.

Can Phillips 'Do The Basso' though???? :dance:

I can barely bring myself to watch it, but the show wasn't too bad tonight. The Phillips bit was good. seeing his penalty save with a one handed follow up save against Everton in the cup sent was nice.

Loyalty is important, and Phillips is a good goalkeeper.

A lot of people say that Marcus Stewart was only below par when he was a regular because City were going through a messy patch. I presume they'd say the same about Phillips?

Highlight are called highlights for a reason.

Why are they so-called WTF? :dunno:

You have to be high when you watch them or because they shed light on a subject? I'm confused?

Why are they so-called WTF? :dunno:

You have to be high when you watch them or because they shed light on a subject? I'm confused?

I dunno mate, that's why I asked, just forgot to whack the question mark in at the end of the question. :doh:

My belief was always that it had something to do with the highlight's in girls hair, could never work out what it was though. :dunno:

I can't remember covering the issue of highlights on here before so while we're at it, you'd think that floodlight's would infact be called highlight's as they do shead light and they are high. (although only reletavely speaking I s'pose) They're not as high as say a helicopter flying over Ashton Gate are they? But anyway, you don't see any flood's involved with them do you?

:blink: hm, mad world innit?

I hope he stays.

Hope he plays?

Until crosses are banned he stays out! Have any other clubs come in for him? Is Leeds far enough away?

"I like Phillips, he's been a long serving keeper for this club and deserves some loyalty in return".

Nonsense! just because a player stays at a club for ages doesn't mean he deserves to be playing in the first team.There is no sentiment in football.

"I like Phillips, he's been a long serving keeper for this club and deserves some loyalty in return".

Nonsense! just because a player stays at a club for ages doesn't mean he deserves to be playing in the first team.There is no sentiment in football.

Maybe no sentiment, But I think Loyalty may play a slight part! Why not, surly it shows dedication?

Although if the rumours of Steves "Strops" are true, i don't think its dedication. More like Frustration. Either way, i would like to see him back. xxx

A lot of people say that Marcus Stewart was only below par when he was a regular because City were going through a messy patch. I presume they'd say the same about Phillips?

I wouldn't - Phillips has always been a good shot stopper but consistantly weak in every other area of goalkeeping.I would guesstimate that he cost City at least 10 points last season with his errors and failure to be decisive with crosses.His uncertaincy in the box often caused confusion and panic in the City defence which led to conceding goals.

Stewart was below par because the whole team was struggling.His past career show that he has class which is perminent.Its form thats temporary.

Maybe no sentiment, But I think Loyalty may play a slight part! Why not, surly it shows dedication?

Although if the rumours of Steves "Strops" are true, i don't think its dedication. More like Frustration. Either way, i would like to see him back. xxx

Players have to be selected on form and ability - not sentiment!

I wouldn't - Phillips has always been a good shot stopper but consistantly weak in every other area of goalkeeping.I would guesstimate that he cost City at least 10 points last season with his errors and failure to be decisive with crosses.His uncertaincy in the box often caused confusion and panic in the City defence which led to conceding goals.

True, I didnt disagree with that, But surly Bassos Kicking then comes into play? With the choice of two, they should be raising their games? xx

Every goal keeper in this league, and even those above, have their faults or they wouldn't be playing at this cr@p level. Be it kicking, catching or dominating the box.Week in week out we see keepers making errors and costing teams points so 10 points a season for a keeper isn't to bad , is it ?

We have 2 keepers fighting for 1 place, which is good, so when 1 makes a mistake or 2 then the other MUST think he has a chance to stake his claim for a call-up, if not then what's the point of competing for the place?

Both keepers are good enough at this level and both have their own strengths and weaknesses. However, Basso only deserves to be dropped when he makes the sort of calamitous errors Phillips did before he was dropped.

I agree Basso's kicking needs to improve, but I recall Phillips used to kick very poorly for a long time without it receiving too much attention.

How many point's would you guesstimate he saved us?.

Your're missing the point.Goalkeepers make saves all the time.Thats thier job.Phillips makes better saves than most 'keepers at this level but also makes more mistakes than most.

If he was more reliable and had better judgement he'd be playing at a far higher level.

Your're missing the point.Goalkeepers make saves all the time.Thats thier job.Phillips makes better saves than most 'keepers at this level but also makes more mistakes than most.

If he was more reliable and had better judgement he'd be playing at a far higher level.

For the first time in a long time, I completely agree with you Robbored.

Although it has to be said, Basso has been far from flawless recently, just the lesser of two evils.

Stewart was below par because the whole team was struggling.His past career show that he has class which is perminent.Its form thats temporary.

ABILITY......being the key word, which is the pure reason Tinnion had to leave as manager! Sentiment counts for nothing in football!

ABILITY......being the key word, which is the pure reason Tinnion had to leave as manager! Sentiment counts for nothing in football!

I'm glad someone else said that, and not me!

I agree with Robbored's sentiments on entirely on Phillips, and hopefully he realises he wont be guaranteed first team football anywhere.

basso is our keeper now, phillips got dropped for a reason, until basso gets dropped its reserve team football for phillips, as for stewart, and bridges for that matter, they play well in a winning team, but cant be bothered to fight and scrap for a struggling team

Phillips got dropped for making some mistakes, but also has Basso not made a couple of blunders aswell, so why hasnt he been dropped? i just don't get it, people say you cant lose quality overnight for stewart and that surely applys to Phillips aswell? what about that quality double save against everton?. Fair enough he does make some mistakes but so does Basso and so do most keepers.

Phillips got dropped for making some mistakes, but also has Basso not made a couple of blunders aswell, so why hasnt he been dropped? i just don't get it, people say you cant lose quality overnight for stewart and that surely applys to Phillips aswell? what about that quality double save against everton?. Fair enough he does make some mistakes but so does Basso and so do most keepers.

Basso has not made errors of the same magnitude as Phillips. I challenge you to find an instance where Basso has been beaten by a comfortable shot and then blamed the ball. Phillips also gave the ball away to Eastwood. And was beaten by long 30 yard shot that should have been saved. Anyway, I'm not anti-Phillips, but I think you have to try and take the unattached view.

I'm my opinion Basso has made one bad mistake and that was when he gave the ball to Keogh. If he makes a couple more bad errors in a short time, then yes, bring Phillips back for a fresh run.

Basso has not made errors of the same magnitude as Phillips. I challenge you to find an instance where Basso has been beaten by a comfortable shot and then blamed the ball. Phillips also gave the ball away to Eastwood. And was beaten by long 30 yard shot that should have been saved. Anyway, I'm not anti-Phillips, but I think you have to try and take the unattached view.

I'm my opinion Basso has made one bad mistake and that was when he gave the ball to Keogh. If he makes a couple more bad errors in a short time, then yes, bring Phillips back for a fresh run.

Ok maybe not made as much errors as Phillips this season, but i don't get how he goes from being in league 11 for 2 years running then goes and gets his place taken off him by a goalkeeper who came from conference? And i think he should now be given a chance to once again prove how good he can be.

And correct me if I'm wrong but didnt someone else complain about the ball aswell as Phillips?

Basso has not made errors of the same magnitude as Phillips ... I'm my opinion Basso has made one bad mistake and that was when he gave the ball to Keogh. If he makes a couple more bad errors in a short time, then yes, bring Phillips back for a fresh run.

Basso has made several errors with kicks, flapped a cross to a forward, and screwed up passes all of which have put us in danger of conceding. These errors were every bit as bad and in fact worse than any Phillips made. He is extremely lucky that most of them have gone unpunished.

Basso is as good a shot stopper as Phillips, better in the air, and a worse kicker. Overall they're not that different ability wise. I think Basso has made enough mistakes for Phillips to be given a go to be honest.

Personally, I don't like the erratic nature of Basso's displays in a keeper. Sure, Phillips is poor at coming out for crosses but at least it's consistent and the defence know what to expect. With Basso he's pulling off a blinding save one minute and then screwing a kick or palming a cross down to a forward who's 6 yards out the next.

Nibor

Every goal keeper in this league, and even those above, have their faults or they wouldn't be playing at this cr@p level.

I think the same applies to all players not just goalkeepers.

Usually when a goal is conceeded it is either the keepers fault or it is not. When it is not and there is no glaring error from an outfield player then the chances are that somebody somewhere has not done their job propaly whether it be not closing down quickly enough or whatever. Likewise when someone up the other end fails to convert a chance it is a mistake. G/K's are under more scrutiny because their blunders can directly lead to a team's loss where as everybody elses only indirectly lead to a team's loss.

Only very occasionally are goals scored through sheer brilliance from the opposition.

Going by the principle that mistake's should result in being dropped then we'd need to field a different 11 each week.

Basso has not made errors of the same magnitude as Phillips.

I'll go along with that.

but i don't get how he goes from being in league 11 for 2 years running then goes and gets his place taken off him by a goalkeeper who came from conference?

No, I agree, but if the oportunity arises where Basso is playing poorly, Phillips does deserve the oportunity to play for us again and not just be ignored no matter what happens, thats the least he deserves after all these years of service.

They're both good keepers in my opinion.

I agree, this makes no sence from a footballing perspective.

What would be the point paying a player just becuase he's loyal? He needs to have more than loyality to warrent a place at the Club, I however think SP offers much more than this anyways, and he's unlucky Basso has fitted in so well, but SP would not begrudge him this, Basso is a good guy and SP understands he has to fight for his place.

We need two keepers for next season, Basso & Phillips are probably among the best keepers in this league and we cant afford to lose either.

Archived