IGNORED

"all I Need Is To Know Is I Have A Chance"

mozo

I agree, this makes no sence from a footballing perspective.

What would be the point paying a player just becuase he's loyal? He needs to have more than loyality to warrent a place at the Club, I however think SP offers much more than this anyways, and he's unlucky Basso has fitted in so well, but SP would not begrudge him this, Basso is a good guy and SP understands he has to fight for his place.

We need two keepers for next season, Basso & Phillips are probably among the best keepers in this league and we cant afford to lose either.

I already replied in the post above your one, CiderHider.

By the way, you've got a key to pick!! :sport19:

The Phillips v Basso debate is a very old one but I don't recall whether the point about influence off the pitch has ever been made.

Its a well known fact that Phillips is a moaner and a whinger.He proved that with his 'toys out of the pram' reaction to being dropped.Basso on the other hand is a far more positive guy and only last week Orr (maybe Skuse,I don't remember) was saying what a great motivator Basso is around the dressing room.

If Johnson knows what he's doing he'll appreciate that a positive attitude amongst the players is crucial and thats a factor he has to consider when picking his stopper.

The Phillips v Basso debate is a very old one but I don't recall whether the point about influence off the pitch has ever been made.

Its a well known fact that Phillips is a moaner and a whinger.He proved that with his 'toys out of the pram' reaction to being dropped.Basso on the other hand is a far more positive guy and only last week Orr (maybe Skuse,I don't remember) was saying what a great motivator Basso is around the dressing room.

If Johnson knows what he's doing he'll appreciate that a positive attitude amongst the players is crucial and thats a factor he has to consider when picking his stopper.

I personally think that Johnson has made a positive attitude within the squad one of his priorities.

The first thing he did when he got here was make the team have a huddle on the pitch at Brentford.

I'd say a positive attitude amongst the fans is also important Robbored. ;)

Guest DrFaustus

Speaking to a close mate of his, he has hd enough and needs first team football so could be going North as his wife is from leeds!

Can he try North Bristol please? He'd waltz into our team.

.He proved that with his 'toys out of the pram' reaction to being dropped.

Marcus stewart and his toys out the pram reaction to a rollicking?

They've both paid the price for their performance/insolence but I would say that they are both better players than those who replaced them.

I accept GJ's decisions on both though.

They've both paid the price for their performance/insolence but I would say that they are both better players than those who replaced them.

I accept GJ's decisions on both though.

The difference is that Phillips has been here his whole career, so theres bound to be some upset sooner or later, whereas Stewart had been here 5 minutes.

Stewart has not commented publically on his rift with Johnson.He's too professional.

He and Phillips may well be victims of the Johnson 'hand-grenade',but I'm sure its just co-incidence that neither have featured much since it went off..... :whistle:

That said, it could be argued that Phillips has been dropped for footballing reason.Unfortunately that same can't be said for Stewart.

Stewart has not commented publically on his rift with Johnson.He's too professional.

He and Phillips may well be victims of the Johnson 'hand-grenade',but I'm sure its just co-incidence that neither have featured much since it went off..... :whistle:

That said, it could be argued that Phillips has been dropped for footballing reason.Unfortunately that same can't be said for Stewart.

I agree with you about Phillips, Basso should only be dropped when he deserves to be dropped, which isn't so,as his form (and luck) has kept a few clean sheets and has looked far more solid in goal. I am taking nothing away from phillips ability, he is a great keeper, but his position has been secure for at least 3 years now. Richard Wright is a great keeper, played every game at ipswich, but because they have two good keepers with Martyn as well he plays on the odd chance. I think its a case of phillips not being used to decent competition.

As for Stewart, i still struggle to see your arguement in regards to him. I agree, skill wise he is the best foward at the club, but u cannot deny when he has played he has been poor. I'm sorry,he has had maybe 7 or 8 good games, but when he does play he spends far too much time in midfield and has not looked fit. I can see Johnsons arguement in keeping Bas playing if we are winning, why change a winning formula? He played the first 5 games under johnson, then was misfiring so dropped, makes sense to me. Recently i agree with you, he should have played instead of Savage, but to be honest i prefer McCammon up front to the both of them.

I agree with you about Phillips, Basso should only be dropped when he deserves to be dropped, which isn't so,as his form (and luck) has kept a few clean sheets and has looked far more solid in goal. I am taking nothing away from phillips ability, he is a great keeper, but his position has been secure for at least 3 years now. Richard Wright is a great keeper, played every game at ipswich, but because they have two good keepers with Martyn as well he plays on the odd chance. I think its a case of phillips not being used to decent competition.

As for Stewart, i still struggle to see your arguement in regards to him. I agree, skill wise he is the best foward at the club, but u cannot deny when he has played he has been poor. I'm sorry,he has had maybe 7 or 8 good games, but when he does play he spends far too much time in midfield and has not looked fit. I can see Johnsons arguement in keeping Bas playing if we are winning, why change a winning formula? He played the first 5 games under johnson, then was misfiring so dropped, makes sense to me. Recently i agree with you, he should have played instead of Savage, but to be honest i prefer McCammon up front to the both of them.

One problem with the Stewart debate is that some fans believe that he has missed chances, whilst others believe that he hasn't had any. It's a difficult one to settle without going through videos of all the games. It makes a difference to the debate though, because the 'lack of service' argument hinges on it.

As for Phillips, we all know he made mistakes in the first 2/3 months of the season. So did Carey, Woodman and Skuse. All of those three have had a chance to prove their worth since, whereas Phillips hasn't had that chance. Just as Stewart has proven himself at the highest domestic level, Phillips has proven himself at this level by winning promotion, LDV, and various awards.

I'd play them both tomorrow, which is impossible. I'm not in any way angered by their exclusion though.

As for Phillips, we all know he made mistakes in the first 2/3 months of the season. So did Carey, Woodman and Skuse. All of those three have had a chance to prove their worth since, whereas Phillips hasn't had that chance. Just as Stewart has proven himself at the highest domestic level, Phillips has proven himself at this level by winning promotion, LDV, and various awards.

I don't think you can drop Basso on the basis of giving Steve Phillips a another chance. You could use the same argument to say that Abbey should play tomorrow too. As far I'm concerend it has to be best man for the job and on this season's evidence Basso has shown the better form.

Carey, Woodman and Skuse are more fortunate in that they are outfield players. It's quite natural that their chances will come faster. Unfortunately, goalkeepers just have to wait around longer. And with all due respect to Steve Phillips, better goalkeepers than him have had to play the waiting game for longer at other clubs.

he cost us 19 points in Wilsons last season

How exactly has that been calculated? Have I got this right, he gets no credit for any outstanding work, but gets a negative for any alleged 'error'. I would suggest that you try watching Nationwide Highlights and see if you can find any keeper at our level who is perfect. Or does this scientific method of calculating stats only apply to Phillips? Come on tell me, what has Basso cost us this season?

Going back to the original point, Basso has improved, but I think Phillips is the steadier, safer Keeper and should be No 1. But it is a very close call.

One problem with the Stewart debate is that some fans believe that he has missed chances, whilst others believe that he hasn't had any. It's a difficult one to settle without going through videos of all the games. It makes a difference to the debate though, because the 'lack of service' argument hinges on it.

One thing you can do here is compare the shots on goal before and after the Bradford game, the stats are on city world.

I'd play them both tomorrow, which is impossible. I'm not in any way angered by their exclusion though.

Honestly, I think Basso has made more howlers than Phillips did. He's been a bit lucky not to concede with some of his Grobelaar antics. I think he's in the team on attitude rather than performance, although in fairness I have no idea how well Phillips is training.

I don't think you can drop Basso on the basis of giving Steve Phillips a another chance. You could use the same argument to say that Abbey should play tomorrow too. As far I'm concerend it has to be best man for the job and on this season's evidence Basso has shown the better form.

Carey, Woodman and Skuse are more fortunate in that they are outfield players. It's quite natural that their chances will come faster. Unfortunately, goalkeepers just have to wait around longer. And with all due respect to Steve Phillips, better goalkeepers than him have had to play the waiting game for longer at other clubs.

I disagree Dags. I think that Basso has a great attitude, but I don't think much of his calibre. He's made a few great saves, but then Phillips was doing that every game during our bad run of form. I think Phillips has had the kick up the batty that he needed and should now take his rightful place (rightful in that our team would improve - albeit slightly - with his inclusion).

I can fully understand why we fans are torn on the issue, but this is how I see things. I agree with Nibor's second point in this respect.

I'd say a positive attitude amongst the fans is also important Robbored. ;)

I agree and I'm as positive as the next fan when I'm watching City.The problem is that those of us that have been watching City for decades have had so many disapointments over the years that we have become harded to them.Thats why some 'experienced' fans try to install a sense of balance and reason on the forum.

A run of good results doesn't mean promotion any more than a run of poor ones means relegation.One or two good games from a particular player doesn't mean he's worth a million anymore than a dip in form means that he's out of his league.

Its about balance.

I disagree Dags. I think that Basso has a great attitude, but I don't think much of his calibre. He's made a few great saves, but then Phillips was doing that every game during our bad run of form. I think Phillips has had the kick up the batty that he needed and should now take his rightful place (rightful in that our team would improve - albeit slightly - with his inclusion).

I can fully understand why we fans are torn on the issue, but this is how I see things. I agree with Nibor's second point in this respect.

I know where you and Nibor are coming from and it's possible that Basso has made as many mistakes or even more. But I think it's fair to say that Phillip's mistakes have been costlier or have at least had the appearance of being so.

Also I can happily admit that Basso has played behind a much better defence than Phillips had to, but there again it's possible Basso is part of the reason the defence is playing better.

Anyway, I feel uncomfortable at the lack of insults in this thread, so to get the ball rolling, I just want you to know Mozo ,that you are a charlie cream-slice. And you Nibor are a crackpot critic.

Nil. That"s his job, I"ve had him sussed for years he cost us 19 points in Wilsons last season.

This is the biggest load of Bo**cks I think I have seen posted.

Wilsons last season was 03/04. In that season City picked up 82 points from a maximum 138. You claim that Phillips cost us 19 points that season. Which would mean that City would have finished with 101 points.

It also means that Phillips was personally responsible for 34% of all the points dropped that season. (We drew 11 matches and lost 10).

Now put on top of this the fact that Phillips was named as the best goalkeeper in the league by his fellow professionals (you can't have a higher accolade than that) ie he was the goal keeper in the Division 2 PFA team of the season for 03/04.

Therefore do you really think that if he was responsible for costing us 19 points he would have even kept his place in the team let alone be voted the best goalkeeper in the division.

19 points my a**se

I'd do a much better job at being insulted if I knew what a crackpot critic was when it's at home :)

crackpot: adj. Foolish; harebrained: a crackpot notion.

critic: noun. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.

No offence intended of course.

Dagest's gettin eggy

Want a fight about it?

I'd do a much better job at being insulted if I knew what a crackpot critic was when it's at home :)

I think that's a reference to your substance abuse? :whistle:

Either that or he was just joking Nibor.

But then Dagest does have issues with his big-nose. :w00t:

I think that's a reference to your substance abuse? :whistle:

Either that or he was just joking Nibor.

But then Dagest does have issues with his big-nose. :w00t:

Right, I'll see you down the Gate. Don't think hiding in the women's toilets will save you this time you poltroon.

:fencing:

Right, I'll see you down the Gate. Don't think hiding in the women's toilets will save you this time you poltroon.

:fencing:

Oh I forgot, it's a sunny day so Dagest might grace the Gate with his presence for once!

Better a poltroon than a buffoon, dear boy.

Basso was poor again today and has to be blamed for the goal. I truly wish he'd do well, but I'd rather see Phillips between the sticks.

No way, he may have made a slight error on the initial shot, but it appeared to skid up off the turf. The resulting shot came too long after to squarely blame Basso.

I don't see what else he did wrong and his kicking was much better than the Yeovil keeper's.

Oh I forgot, it's a sunny day so Dagest might grace the Gate with his presence for once!

Better a poltroon than a buffoon, dear boy.

Yes, but no one warned me about the showers.

No way, he may have made a slight error on the initial shot, but it appeared to skid up off the turf. The resulting shot came too long after to squarely blame Basso.

A slight error?!? He failed to collect the ball it bounced off him back into play the ball wasn't cleared and Yeovil scored. If he had gathered the ball in the first place it would have been kicked up field and the pressure would have gone. In fumbling the ball he failed he allowed Yeovil to keep the pressure on

A slight error?!? He failed to collect the ball it bounced off him back into play the ball wasn't cleared and Yeovil scored.

As you say the ball went back into play and wasn't cleared, which suggests responsibility doesn't entirely lie with Basso.

However, I can admit he played his part in conceding the goal. I just felt he was a touch unfortunate at the way it skidded up at him off the wet pitch.

Archived