IGNORED

Dinner Last Night

barry_manc

Is that not Chicken LASTnight? Or is your statement a clever paradoxial quote designed to be thought provoking...? :ph34r:

Good question! If I had Chicken Tonight last night, does that make it Chicken Last Night or does it keep its name but remain on the wrong day? I'm not entirely sure.. maybe philosophical debate time? :blink:

Good question! If I had Chicken Tonight last night, does that make it Chicken Last Night or does it keep its name but remain on the wrong day? I'm not entirely sure.. maybe philosophical debate time? :blink:

Well....If I said that I fancy Chicken Tonight tomorrow night, then I'd be fancying Chicken tomorrow night. Therefore, Chicken Tonight is false advertising as I'd argue that you should use it on the day you by it. Having said that, it's made in a factory weeks/months before it hits the shelves so should it not be used on the day of production. Maybe it should be named 'Chicken One Night This Week'? It would mean a little change to the awful theme tune they use but it would satisfy my issues with the product. However, what if you don;t use it one night in the week? What if you have it at lunch time? Maybe it should just be called Sauce for Chicken. Plain & simple!

Eh?

Well....If I said that I fancy Chicken Tonight tomorrow night, then I'd be fancying Chicken tomorrow night. Therefore, Chicken Tonight is false advertising as I'd argue that you should use it on the day you by it. Having said that, it's made in a factory weeks/months before it hits the shelves so should it not be used on the day of production. Maybe it should be named 'Chicken One Night This Week'? It would mean a little change to the awful theme tune they use but it would satisfy my issues with the product. However, what if you don;t use it one night in the week? What if you have it at lunch time? Maybe it should just be called Sauce for Chicken. Plain & simple!

Eh?

Still, it doesn't beat Smoked Salmon - I can feel those vital nutrients running through me.

Aah, but salmon doesn't provoke philosophical debates quite like Chicken Tonight does.. you can't sit there and think 'salmon.. what's it all about?'

...can you?

Sounds excellent to me. Chicken Sauce would remove the slightly intrusive 'for', but would then suggest to the consumer that the sauce was made out of chicken and not for the explicit and specific purpose of being served with chicken. Hmmm.

Eh?

Eh?

You okay there? :blink:

Aah, but salmon doesn't provoke philosophical debates quite like Chicken Tonight does.. you can't sit there and think 'salmon.. what's it all about?'

...can you?

Sounds excellent to me. Chicken Sauce would remove the slightly intrusive 'for', but would then suggest to the consumer that the sauce was made out of chicken and not for the explicit and specific purpose of being served with chicken. Hmmm.

You okay there? :blink:

Yeah, just all this chicken philosophy is way over my head Sophs.

Fair point. Therefore, I propose that it is renamed as 'Sauce to use with your chicken'. However, I can still see two problems with this.

Problem 1) What if you use the sauce with another meat? Turkey for example. Solution: Just call it 'Sauce'

Problem 2) Some people keep chickens and may not which to use the sauce with a live chicken (for whatever purpose). Solution: Call it 'Sauce to use when cooking food'. Simplicity is the key here!

Fair point. Therefore, I propose that it is renamed as 'Sauce to use with your chicken'. However, I can still see two problems with this.

Problem 1) What if you use the sauce with another meat? Turkey for example. Solution: Just call it 'Sauce'

Problem 2) Some people keep chickens and may not which to use the sauce with a live chicken (for whatever purpose). Solution: Call it 'Sauce to use when cooking food'. Simplicity is the key here!

Simplicity indeed. I had a cheese sandwich

Simplicity indeed. I had a cheese sandwich

Good points there Jay. The only slight problem I can see is that Chicken Tonight is made to be served with chicken, so the flavours are made to go with chicken etc. If you start eating it with other food, ie the Rev's cheese sandwich, it wouldn't go as well. (although I think this theory should be tested.. could someone check if they actually do go? Rev?)

Your second point is also very worthy and valid. But then, 'Sauce to use when cooking food' doesn't quite trip off the tongue as easily as it could. We need something snappy and catchy, for use in tv commercials and the like. Chicken Tonight certainly has its merits (ie forces people to believe that they will be having chicken that night, and therefore buy it) but for the aforesaid reasons it makes no sense.

Agh, I'm confusing myself now! :blink:

You raise a good point there Sophs. Perhaps I could invite you over to share cheese sandwich a l'orange sometime, accompanied by a cheeky dandelion and burdock?

Absolutely. Cheese sandwich a l'orange, eh? Sounds, er, interesting!

Good points there Jay. The only slight problem I can see is that Chicken Tonight is made to be served with chicken, so the flavours are made to go with chicken etc. If you start eating it with other food, ie the Rev's cheese sandwich, it wouldn't go as well. (although I think this theory should be tested.. could someone check if they actually do go? Rev?)

Personally, I'm not too familiar with the goop in a jar that is currently called 'Chicken Tonight' as i'm competent enough to make my own sauces. However, if for example, there is a wine & mushroom sauce, this could be used with other meats &/or veg. Maybe the answer is to have one utilitarian sauce for all food types?! By the way, did you know that Communism started with just four people in a room?! :whistle:

Your second point is also very worthy and valid. But then, 'Sauce to use when cooking food' doesn't quite trip off the tongue as easily as it could. We need something snappy and catchy, for use in tv commercials and the like. Chicken Tonight certainly has its merits (ie forces people to believe that they will be having chicken that night, and therefore buy it) but for the aforesaid reasons it makes no sense.

Agh, I'm confusing myself now! :blink:

How about 'Food Sauce for Food'? Simple & memorable!

Personally, I'm not too familiar with the goop in a jar that is currently called 'Chicken Tonight' as i'm competent enough to make my own sauces. However, if for example, there is a wine & mushroom sauce, this could be used with other meats &/or veg. Maybe the answer is to have one utilitarian sauce for all food types?! By the way, did you know that Communism started with just four people in a room?! :whistle:

How about 'Food Sauce for Food'? Simple & memorable!

Ah, but is the Food Sauce for Food made out of food, to be used on food, or out of miscellaneous products, to be used on food, or is it an entirely different entity altogether? The repetition of 'food' gives it a certain pizazz, I'll give you that.

Ah, but is the Food Sauce for Food made out of food, to be used on food, or out of miscellaneous products, to be used on food, or is it an entirely different entity altogether? The repetition of 'food' gives it a certain pizazz, I'll give you that.

So, can we agree on 'Food Sauce for Food made from Food'?

I think so. It's stylish.

"I feel like Food Sauce for Food made from Food tonight, like Food Sauce for Food made from Food tonight!"

It's got 'Hit' written all over it! What a great marketing team we make!

It's got 'Hit' written all over it! What a great marketing team we make!

I was just thinking the same myself.

Our next step, presumably, would be to contact the manufacturers of Chicken Tonight and inform them of our decision. I'm sure they'll be delighted with the change.

Archived