IGNORED

Milo

Gerry Gows' Tash

i want to see our past players honored like atyeo (in statue form)

I think the idea of a statue to arguably our greatest ever player is an excellent idea, but I don't agree that it's down to the Supporter's Trust to fund it. However I'm sure there are lots of City fans who would be all too happy to put their hands in their pockets, and I am sure the Club would be more than happy to find a site for it.

So here's a challenge for you. Find a sculptor who would be prepared to do the statue, and get an idea of how much it might cost. Us this forum as a starting point. I bet there's people on here who know someone etc etc. I would be more than happy to make a donation to any fund that was set up specifically for this purpose, and would be quite happy to help raise money to meet the costs.

My experience with the Tinnion night I organised a few years back is that if one person is prepared to put themselves out, then there are thousands of City fans out there who are prepared to join in. They were happy to do their bit for a man who was the epitome of service and loyalty as a player (we'll draw a veil over what happened next) and I'm sure they would be willing to do the same for John Atyeo, a man who represents all that is best about the history of Bristol City.

I'm sure the Club, and the ST and the Supporter's Club would help out too. It just needs someone with a bit of vision and passion to get the ball rolling. I think you might be that man. I've never met you but its clear that you are a massive City fan who understands the importance of history, tradition and community where football is concerned. You could make this statue a reality.

Wos reckon?

I think the idea of a statue to arguably our greatest ever player is an excellent idea, but I don't agree that it's down to the Supporter's Trust to fund it. However I'm sure there are lots of City fans who would be all too happy to put their hands in their pockets, and I am sure the Club would be more than happy to find a site for it.

So here's a challenge for you. Find a sculptor who would be prepared to do the statue, and get an idea of how much it might cost. Us this forum as a starting point. I bet there's people on here who know someone etc etc. I would be more than happy to make a donation to any fund that was set up specifically for this purpose, and would be quite happy to help raise money to meet the costs.

My experience with the Tinnion night I organised a few years back is that if one person is prepared to put themselves out, then there are thousands of City fans out there who are prepared to join in. They were happy to do their bit for a man who was the epitome of service and loyalty as a player (we'll draw a veil over what happened next) and I'm sure they would be willing to do the same for John Atyeo, a man who represents all that is best about the history of Bristol City.

I'm sure the Club, and the ST and the Supporter's Club would help out too. It just needs someone with a bit of vision and passion to get the ball rolling. I think you might be that man. I've never met you but its clear that you are a massive City fan who understands the importance of history, tradition and community where football is concerned. You could make this statue a reality.

Wos reckon?

thanks, good points, and it's worth looking in to

i was just in hope that a supporters trust might represent

leading the project by the fans for the fans, or even the club might do it

nudge, nuge, wink, wink if lansdown is reading.

but yeah i'll look in to it, but should we have to?.

but yeah i'll look in to it, but should we have to?.

In my experience, those who sit and wait for 'someone' or 'them' to do something on their behalf are often disappointed. Those who get off their bums and do it for themselves often get what they want. Did you ever see 'Field of Dreams'? If you build it, they will come. :D

In my experience, those who sit and wait for 'someone' or 'them' to do something on their behalf are often disappointed. Those who get off their bums and do it for themselves often get what they want. Did you ever see 'Field of Dreams'? If you build it, they will come. :D

yeah on a hollywood budget of 10 million to act in the film

yep they will come alright :devil:

mabe it's like waiting for our team to get back in the top flight, yep i'm used to being disappointed :(

Dave L, the last supporter that got off his backside to make things happen at this club was Scott Davidson. There's no new Scott Davidson type entrepreneur on the horizon as far as I'm aware. So what are we supposed to do to oust Steve Lansdown? With Lansdown out we could get the East End back and the decent atmosphere would return at Ashton Gate. Any ideas on a club takeover to make things happen?

Dave L, the last supporter that got off his backside to make things happen at this club was Scott Davidson. There's no new Scott Davidson type entrepreneur on the horizon as far as I'm aware. So what are we supposed to do to oust Steve Lansdown? With Lansdown out we could get the East End back and the decent atmosphere would return at Ashton Gate. Any ideas on a club takeover to make things happen?

Much as I respect your views RG this is not the thread to be complaining about the East End.There are two threads currently running about that very subject.Try one of those.

Not just me that thinks it then :farmer:

Nope, another one here.

I do agree to a certain degree, reps of the ST should not be speaking as representatives of the fans as a whole.

I am not sure how the comments were dressed up but as long as they are the views of the Supporters Trust members and not of Bristol City fans as a whole there should not be a problem.

Nope, another one here.

I do agree to a certain degree, reps of the ST should not be speaking as representatives of the fans as a whole.

I am not sure how the comments were dressed up but as long as they are the views of the Supporters Trust members and not of Bristol City fans as a whole there should not be a problem.

Its very difficult to give comments and views and to guard against how they are attributed. You are totally reliant on the Journalist.

If the report simply says Miles Hendry says xyz about abc - that is fine it's his statement about the matter.

However, as soon as they say ' 'Miles Hendry Chair of Bristol City Supporters Trust' it implies that he is talking on behalf of the Trust. Of course he may not be and the Journalist has added the Supporters Trust bit to give his report a bit more gravity.

If you're phoned by a journalist to give your views on something what do you do? If you ask the journalist to make the point that they are your views and not the views of the organisation you happen to be involved with they may well mention that. What then happens when the sub-editor is short on space and cuts out that statement - after all he didn't do the interview and won't really care.

This is why you really need to be sympathetic to the situation. What do the ST do when contacted by a journalist - Say nothing? Its one solution but doesn't help promote the name of the Trust.

I just think that you have to accept that when members of the ST are giving their opinion on a subject, it is their opinion despite how it is presented by the media.

Wos reckon?

A couple of years ago I looked at this as a possible option for The Incider to work towards. The price for a lifesize statue - and it was a conservative one, which took into account using a local sculptor from the university or something - was £50k. I spoke to people at other clubs about the cost of theirs, and to companies that help produce this sort of thing. To give you an idea, the Stoke statue to Matthews cost £150k. It is a possibility, and I've talked about it for quite a long time now, but frankly there is so much negativity among fans that I really wondered if enough people would be willing to work towards it and dig into their pockers. If so, then I'd happily get involved.

A couple of years ago I looked at this as a possible option for The Incider to work towards. The price for a lifesize statue - and it was a conservative one, which took into account using a local sculptor from the university or something - was £50k. I spoke to people at other clubs about the cost of theirs, and to companies that help produce this sort of thing. To give you an idea, the Stoke statue to Matthews cost £150k. It is a possibility, and I've talked about it for quite a long time now, but frankly there is so much negativity among fans that I really wondered if enough people would be willing to work towards it and dig into their pockers. If so, then I'd happily get involved.

that's big bucks :blink:

might take a year or so but it could be raised i'm sure if enough people knew about it

they would donate some money.

£150k and to think we bought steve jones for around that price, he was a life like statue.

that's big bucks :blink:

might take a year or so but it could be raised i'm sure if enough people knew about it

they would donate some money.

£150k and to think we bought steve jones for around that price, he was a life like statue.

We paid £500k for Steve Jones.

And he was like a statue, big dead weight.

*Til his comeback and diet of course.

I made enquiries to a Stoke nutter tonight and he thought (though couldn't remember exactly) thatit was £100k. It was a few years ago, it was unveiled before a City game at the Brittannia, I'm sure it was the one where Scott got a perfect red for his highboard dive?

Yes I was there was 2000/01 season the one they got promoted I think! We lost 1 nil cant remember who scored for them but Scott got a double yellow one for a tackle and one for a dive! Mad that was cos he tried arguing with the ref to say he didnt expect a penalty! Another strange thing about that game was we forgot our away shirts and the linesman must have constantly waved his flag during the first half. I remember we changed to our green strip second half with different squad numbers on the back thus confusing the officials even more :D

I made enquiries to a Stoke nutter tonight and he thought (though couldn't remember exactly) thatit was £100k. It was a few years ago, it was unveiled before a City game at the Brittannia, I'm sure it was the one where Scott got a perfect red for his highboard dive?

no wonder it's 100k + it's ruddy massive, i was thinking of just one.

IPB Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/sport/stokecity...kecity_21.shtml

I know it's more hypathetical idealism but if (say) 7 thousand S/T holders chipped in a tenner each, I know there's kids and that as well but some folk I'm sure would be able and willing to contribute more then it's surely not too unfeasable. Hopefully get a lower quote - no tack though :nono: , (there may even be a sculpture City fan out there :dunno:,) just, as always, it needs someone to get the show on the road.

C.H. - I nominate.......YOU! :D

PS/Can we have it of him pulling a mooner. please? :pray:

Without going in to details of membership at the different levels, how much income per annum is that?

£9,000 ish?

As a ball park figure, that's about right. Membership levels are growing steadily and there are other activities that add to the turnover.

The model that we have adopted is the same as the majority of Supporters Trusts where membership fees are set at a level where everyone can afford to be a member. Some of the Share Schemes that have generated higher amounts, such as the Rovers Share Scheme, have a minimum membership fee at £11 a month (£2.50 a week) compared to our minimum of £1 a month. Our model needs large numbers of fans to back it and alot of time before it can become a significant shareholder. Meantime we can still have a collective voice, do things to improve how it feels to support the Club and put money in the Club's coffers.

Archived