IGNORED

Pathetic Attendance

swampy

11000 or so ... less than Scun*orpe. Given 8500 sth and close on 1000 Oldham fans ... under 2000 pay on the day. I would suggest this is indicative of how the high cost of walk-in tickets dissuades the casual support. Maybe a walk-in ticket of a tenner paid on the turnstile into the east end (shock horror) might push the gate towards that much anticipated 15k. I did attend today for the first time in a while - but could not persuade a couple of even more casual ex-fans to attend due to the outrageous expense of a walk-in ticket. In the meantime, their £4 pay on the gate at Slimbridge represented excellent value for one of the first major Cup upsets of the season!!

You wont get through to them I'm afraid, they are incredibly thicked skinned.

I wish their was an answer to why paying on the day is such an inconvenience in the clubs eyes, I've been once this season and that was a freebie. I wont pay that kind of money and it looks like I'm not alone.

I watched Bolton vs Liverpool on the box then listened to City world and it was still cheaper than a day out for me at Ashton gate would be. Sad times really, I miss watching them but not at that price.

You wont get through to them I'm afraid, they are incredibly thicked skinned.

I wish their was an answer to why paying on the day is such an inconvenience in the clubs eyes, I've been once this season and that was a freebie. I wont pay that kind of money and it looks like I'm not alone.

I watched Bolton vs Liverpool on the box then listened to City world and it was still cheaper than a day out for me at Ashton gate would be. Sad times really, I miss watching them but not at that price.

Time you gave Sky the boot screech, it seems to have made you into an entrenched armchair Premiership fan. This is the West Country, who cares about Bolton and Liverpool. :dunno:

How can you moan about the cost of live football and spend hundreds of pounds a year watching teams you don't really care about stocked with players being paid tens of thousands week?

You're financially supporting them instead of BCFC. If other City fans do the same as you then you'll be able to save the £30 City World fee too - Bristol City Football Club will cease to exist.

The main site says 340 oldham fans,which surprised me as i thought it was only a couple of hundred!!

I used to be a season ticket holder but now i'm buying tickets (for me and 2 kids) it does bring it home just how expensive it is to watch third division football!! I also don't live in BRISTOL so buying in advance is a pain, and also adds to the expense with postage and the charge on credit cards (although i used a card to buy the boy a shirt today in the shop and wasn't charged for that)!!

What with paying for a coach fare for forest and £24.00 for a ticket for that it's been an expensive day, so i won't bother with bentford or yeovil and with the way the atmosphere is going at the GATE nowadays i'll miss a few more there to help fund a couple of away days. I've allready missed more home games this season than in the previous 10 and if it wasn't for the laugh i have with mates in the pub i wouldn't bother at all, and i don't even drink alcohol!!!

to be fair alot of club are suffering from low attendances not just us, seems at the moment that crowds seem to be going down accross the board in Football apart from the top4 in England and other teams with smaller ground that basically can't cope with capacity,

it's not just city that is too much money, it's football in general, clubs have gotten away with charging what they like for too long, people are finally voting with their feet

to be fair alot of club are suffering from low attendances not just us, seems at the moment that crowds seem to be going down accross the board in Football apart from the top4 in England and other teams with smaller ground that basically can't cope with capacity,

it's not just city that is too much money, it's football in general, clubs have gotten away with charging what they like for too long, people are finally voting with their feet

I am of exactly the same opinion. I am now a student and so don't have a season ticket and was considering going to matches when I come home at X-Mas etc, and may even had made a special journey for big games, but at the cost of tickets at the moment it is really not worth it-the price is equal to about ten pints in union bar, and so I bet there aren't many students who have just moved to Bristol when the cost is taken into account.

As a few others have stated above the only reason i don't go games at AG is purely the price, it really is ridculous money to watch that level of football. Standard aside though, it is still just too much. I used to watch City week in week out and went to a few away games each season regardless of quality of football or league position, but now having been a student for 3 years i have to keep my wallet a little tighter, and paying for a train ticket from cheltenham to Bristol and then the steep entrance fee just can,t be justified at the moment.

I really feel if city took 4 or 5 pound of the tickets on the day, they would get a fair few more in through the turnstiles, making the same income in the process and upping the atmosphere and support.

I think price is one of the reasons but I also think out attendances have taken a dive since the smoking ban. A mate of mine who has supported us since we were in the 4th division was already fed up of being told to sit down and shut up, now that he can't have a fag while watching the footy he has basically given up going. Judging by the number of empty seats he isn't the only one.

The wider problem is that outside the prem football has at last gone out of fashion with "middle class" supporters. They have stopped coming, but clubs attempts to woo them (banning smoking, singing and other scary "anti-social" behaviour) have alienated more traditional supporters, they have now stopped coming too. The losss of both these fans groups is leaving a big hole in attendance figures, one which just isn't going to be filled by the prawn sandwich brigade at this level.

I saw this coming a couple of years ago, IMHO football has turned its back on the traditional fan base and is losing out because of it.

11000 or so ... less than Scun*orpe. Given 8500 sth and close on 1000 Oldham fans ... under 2000 pay on the day. I would suggest this is indicative of how the high cost of walk-in tickets dissuades the casual support. Maybe a walk-in ticket of a tenner paid on the turnstile into the east end (shock horror) might push the gate towards that much anticipated 15k. I did attend today for the first time in a while - but could not persuade a couple of even more casual ex-fans to attend due to the outrageous expense of a walk-in ticket. In the meantime, their £4 pay on the gate at Slimbridge represented excellent value for one of the first major Cup upsets of the season!!

I can see where you are coming from but a tenner a game is cheaper than a season ticket so what incentive would I have to renew my season ticket every year? :dunno:

Time you gave Sky the boot screech, it seems to have made you into an entrenched armchair Premiership fan. This is the West Country, who cares about Bolton and Liverpool. :dunno:

How can you moan about the cost of live football and spend hundreds of pounds a year watching teams you don't really care about stocked with players being paid tens of thousands week?

You're financially supporting them instead of BCFC. If other City fans do the same as you then you'll be able to save the £30 City World fee too - Bristol City Football Club will cease to exist.

Actually you will find that lots of people play football on saturdays nothing to do with bolton v Liverpool on sky

Count me in ....... er no I mean count me out........

Don't any of you know that the average wage earned by supporters of Division 2 and 3 clubs is £36,000

or there abouts according to the research............. So we can all afford to pay as much as it costs to run a stadium/team etc.

What the research seemed to miss out on was many of us don't........ even have a combined income of £25,000. and while the 'Average Supporter' may indeed have the kind of disposable income which allows them to pay through the nose and not worry about it. the rest of us don't.

If the end result of the 'Rest Of Us' trying to cut back and save...... so we can just pay the day to day bills is that the football clubs at whatever level are struggling.......... then I have passed the point of giving a damn.

Football, like so many things in this country, is so over priced....... what is the point in having empty seats because of high prices (my opinion) .

You have running costs and they may be high...... but you have to either fill a stadium or charge even more for having it half full.......... whichever it still costs the same to open it?

I used to take my nipper and regularly attended home games....... my nippers younger brother was due to start coming to games too but until I either win the lottery, have a massive increase in disposable income or prices drop considerably..I just can't afford it any more...... and I'm not alone?

1000 Oldham !! what were you drinking last night !!

Attendance was about what I expected, we have been in this division so long now people won't just come back after a few good wins. Personally bar Christmas I don't think we'll see a significant rise in crowds until well into the New Year.

Your point about the walk in payment is valid but the club have to strike the right balance between this and Season Tickets holders who have already pledged their support, though personally as a ST holder I welcome any iniative that boosts the gate.

Exactly Dorset, why don't they make it around £15 a game starting from next season, the business men can pay what the hell they like I don't care, If they want to have a meal and a talk work on their day off then so be it.

£15 is not too much money for most adults, Students and OAPS £10 and whatever they wish to charge kids. One set price whether you pay 2 weeks before or turn up 5 minutes late, if they are serious about keeping Bristol City alive they need to stop messing about with the traditional fanbase that have been around for decades.

excellent post could,nt have put it better :juggle:

Exactly Dorset, why don't they make it around £15 a game starting from next season, the business men can pay what the hell they like I don't care, If they want to have a meal and a talk work on their day off then so be it.

£15 is not too much money for most adults, Students and OAPS £10 and whatever they wish to charge kids. One set price whether you pay 2 weeks before or turn up 5 minutes late, if they are serious about keeping Bristol City alive they need to stop messing about with the traditional fanbase that have been around for decades.

i have have aseason ticket as have my two friends i go with each week from wellington we also have casual support who come with us .i agree prices need looking into to get the right balance but fans only come when team doing well and get on the bandwagon :D the loyal fans always come were the fair weather fans make excuses about not coming apart from big games [ldv final 40000 fans playoff final 40000 and very expensive ] :ranting::ranting:

I think price is one of the reasons but I also think out attendances have taken a dive since the smoking ban. A mate of mine who has supported us since we were in the 4th division was already fed up of being told to sit down and shut up, now that he can't have a fag while watching the footy he has basically given up going. Judging by the number of empty seats he isn't the only one.

The wider problem is that outside the prem football has at last gone out of fashion with "middle class" supporters. They have stopped coming, but clubs attempts to woo them (banning smoking, singing and other scary "anti-social" behaviour) have alienated more traditional supporters, they have now stopped coming too. The losss of both these fans groups is leaving a big hole in attendance figures, one which just isn't going to be filled by the prawn sandwich brigade at this level.

I saw this coming a couple of years ago, IMHO football has turned its back on the traditional fan base and is losing out because of it.

I think presumptions about so called 'class' loyalties are wide of the mark.

We don't have anywhere near the same social structure as we did say even 50 years ago, we still have rich and poor, but we have less of a tangible 'class' divide.

The notion that football plays the same role as it did in the 50's and 60's in a social sense is wrong.In the same way that the church has fallen from grace in terms of it's standing and worth within society, Football no longer represents the working class because what was 'the working class' no longer exists/or wants to be seen as working class.

God bless Maggie Thatcher for declaring that society was dead, because England took a horrid right turn and we've never recovered. (note to self - despite hating Tony Blair, NEVER FORGET what the tories did to Britain)

We're left with a nation of transient workers, all tied up in service companies, with no real worth, no real value. all scrabbling to get our next dishwasher and extra loft bedroom or holiday in tenerife and no one gives a ###### about anyone else.

Football isn't turning it's back on a traditional fanbase - there just isn't one left. What football is doing is handing over control to financial types and speculators who view the whole exercise as a profit making scheme. They in turn are slowly squeezing the pips out before moving on.

The main site says 340 oldham fans,which surprised me as i thought it was only a couple of hundred!!

I used to be a season ticket holder but now i'm buying tickets (for me and 2 kids) it does bring it home just how expensive it is to watch third division football!! I also don't live in BRISTOL so buying in advance is a pain, and also adds to the expense with postage and the charge on credit cards (although i used a card to buy the boy a shirt today in the shop and wasn't charged for that)!!

What with paying for a coach fare for forest and £24.00 for a ticket for that it's been an expensive day, so i won't bother with bentford or yeovil and with the way the atmosphere is going at the GATE nowadays i'll miss a few more there to help fund a couple of away days. I've allready missed more home games this season than in the previous 10 and if it wasn't for the laugh i have with mates in the pub i wouldn't bother at all, and i don't even drink alcohol!!!

Agreed there. I've never been an ST holder, work commitments and distance put paid to that, but I've dropped from half the home games, and as many of the close (to me) away games a season. virtually no local away games to me these days, and close on £100, per home game, fer me n the trouble n strife. And until recently the football aint too brilliant lately either.

good football, realistic prices, being treated as a fan, not as another resource to milk, THEY would help increase gates.

and not p1ssing off the hard core fans, would help.

The attendace is down 5.9% on last season, doesn't sound a lot but that is 687 per match. Withan estimate of £14 per ticket (taking into account kids) this equates to £9,618 per match - £57,708 to date and £221,214 over 23 league games!

Only 6 clubs in League 1 have increased attendances this term and 3 of those were promoted! Of the 3 other 1 has gone up by 0.4% the second by 9.3% and the third by a massive 21.3%.

Gas are down 17.5% or 1,048

i have have aseason ticket as have my two friends i go with each week from wellington we also have casual support who come with us .i agree prices need looking into to get the right balance but fans only come when team doing well and get on the bandwagon :D the loyal fans always come were the fair weather fans make excuses about not coming apart from big games [ldv final 40000 fans playoff final 40000 and very expensive ] :ranting::ranting:

Well sorry but I do think you are wrong about jumping on bandwagons.... I and many others were paying out money when Bristol City FC were playing for their life in the fourth division...... but I also enjoyed the 'Glory Days' in the first division.......... I also understand economics..... but now my economics and perhaps many other peoples economics do not match the prices being charged.... to be fair I also put other 'Family Day's Out To Other Attractions' in the same bracket............. the end result is that me and my family can not afford either so we just don't do them....... yeh get meh?

I'm not having a go by the way....... it's just a fact of life as to what you start making a priority in life..... we all have to cut our cloth so to speak?

Keeping it real.... Football clubs are their own worse enemy?

Well sorry but I do think you are wrong about jumping on bandwagons.... I and many others were paying out money when Bristol City FC were playing for their life in the fourth division...... but I also enjoyed the 'Glory Days' in the first division.......... I also understand economics..... but now my economics and perhaps many other peoples economics do not match the prices being charged.... to be fair I also put other 'Family Day's Out To Other Attractions' in the same bracket............. the end result is that me and my family can not afford either so we just don't do them....... yeh get meh?

I'm not having a go by the way....... it's just a fact of life as to what you satrt making a priority in life..... we all have to cut our cloth so to speak?

Keeping it real.... Football clubs are their own worse enemy?

Too true Dorset. Id love to go to all the away games as well as the home but simply cant afford it. Now if my boss could give me a huge pay rise I could be tempted next season :dance:

Thats if we make promotion :D

Too true Dorset. Id love to go to all the away games as well as the home but simply cant afford it. Now if my boss could give me a huge pay rise I could be tempted next season :dance:

Thats if we make promotion :D

And like you Robins72 ........... I'm not moaning............ it's just a fact of life for many of us now.... for instance I have to spend out approx £800 this month on day to day stuff..... not luxuries..... but as I say day to day stuff............. So if your serious about getting the next generation and keeping the customers you already have in the bag do you proceed to keep it a luxury...........

If you gave under tens free entry would you be cutting your nose off...... or securing more mini fans?

If you reduced your prices would you not get more casual fans and also boost your existing fan base?

If you put more bums on seats would you lose more money or would a percentage of those people spend money at games on other things.... food etc?

If you did all of this and still had an empty stadium and no extra bums on seats would it say more about the standard of product you had or that you just had not tried to do something about getting bums on seats?

Well, it would be interesting to try?

Most of us would like to go more and bring more people to games, be they mini ciders, or friends............ but if you do nothing then yes we are doomed because it's not the fans that are not necessarily facing up to the cold realities and financial pinch?

Oh for the day when I earn the average £36,000 of the survey...... no doubt you too ?

By which point the entry price to games will be in the region of £50?

agreed - it's pricey, and a big chunk out of any disposable income. However, it's not all down to price is it? There always seem to be a couple of teams with better average attendance than us each year. Even Huddersfield and Swansea - although I don't know what their pay on the day ticket prices are. Forest seem to cope. so did qpr and wednesday. bigger clubs, maybe, but surely division '3' attendances that we could be capable of ?

I don't believe it's about price exactly, just value! If the team had success and played entertaining football, people would consider it money well spent, whether it was £18 or £28.

Too many partime 'fans' - and thats the bottom line.

Its always been the same.

I'd love to know what part-time means to you.

I started supporting City as a 5 year old in 1986. My Dad took me to pretty much every single home game until I was 14. He then lost interest and I started going with my mates. Again, virtually every home game (and about 5 away games a season) until I was about 23. The prices for the games in these periods worked out cheap, especially compared to todays prices.

I remember when it was a quid a kid and then I had a student season ticket. All of this was very affordable. I then had an adult season ticket for one season. I then decided to get on the property ladder and scrimp and save for that. This means that every luxury has gone out of the window and only the very essentials are allowed (apart from a £14 a month internet bill). Pretty much every pound is precious but I am on this forum all the time looking at the latest goings on, I'm on the website as well and I still love this club.

I basically now only go if I borrow a mates season ticket as I simply cannot afford £22 a game or whatever it is. I'll probably be able to afford to go to 6 maybe 7 home games this season with Xmas/birthday money I am given.

Do you class me as part-time then?

Archived