IGNORED

Pathetic Attendance

swampy

Exactly Dorset, why don't they make it around £15 a game starting from next season, the business men can pay what the hell they like I don't care, If they want to have a meal and a talk work on their day off then so be it.

£15 is not too much money for most adults, Students and OAPS £10 and whatever they wish to charge kids. One set price whether you pay 2 weeks before or turn up 5 minutes late, if they are serious about keeping Bristol City alive they need to stop messing about with the traditional fanbase that have been around for decades.

I'd point out that if you get a season ticket it is about £15 a game.

The club can't bring matchday prices down to similar levels because they have to keep a significant cost benefit to people who part with their cash up front in the summer. If they dropped matchday prices then they'd have to drop season ticket prices to lower ones or face massive unpredictable income variations depending on league position because many people won't part with the cash up front if they know they can decide on the day for about the same amount.

What I'd like to see is some better concessions and sort of lower ticket price scheme for people on benefit. More quid a kid, and more of the 6 game tickets and the like. Some decent compromise.

I'd just like to add that as an 'exile' i'd kill to be able to get to more city home games but just can't.

the way life has worked out i have to survive on BCworld and any away games that i can get to, plus the odd home game when visting the family.

i do also buy a shirt more or less every season, although i've not got to any home games to pick one up yet this term.

i don't think its simply home match attendance that makes you 'full' or 'part' time. unless it is totally unavoidable i'm in front of a computer every game, feeling just as much joy and pain as any other supporter. i'm sure its the case for a lot of people who use this board, and i am grateful to have a place to talk with other fans of the club i love.

basically, this is a plea to not write off those who can't turn up each week as part-time, cause a lot of them would love to be down the gate but simply can't.

Too many partime 'fans' - and thats the bottom line.

Its always been the same.

So me being away at uni makes me part-time? Despite having very little money and being hours away even on the train you still class me as part-time. What about the people who have to work Saturday's to support their families. Would you rather they went to football instead and as such couldn't afford to fed their children? And what about the fans who live even further away, such as America etc, does that make them part-time because they don't come back to England for every City game?

Ticket prices seem to have hit a ceiling across the board.

Ironically money actually may bring the collapse of the moneymen and their teams, in the shape of Chelsea FC.

I believe football clubs at all levels should offer discounted tickets to the jobless, local community groups and youth groups.

Football lost its sense of community in the 90's and if it is to survive it needs to become involved in it again.

If you reduced your prices would you not get more casual fans and also boost your existing fan base?

I think you would, but you also have to be mindful of the 7000 or so season ticket holders who have shelled out money in advance. You cannot drop prices for Pay on the Day to a level where it works out cheaper than buying a season ticket. That to me would be counter productive.

If ticket prices are to be lowered to attract more fans this can only be done at the beginning of a new season where all prices can be reviewed.

I agree more bums on seats will increase revenue in other areas such as catering, however, we all know that AG is sadly lacking in this area. Also toilet facilities are somewhat "primitive" and need upgrading.

IMO the club needs to sit down, look at the situation and put together a strategy that will work and is fair to all.

All I'm asking for is prices to be realistic, at the moment they are in my mind, totally unrealistic and therefore the club are losing my money and people like me. Pay on the day pricing is a disgrace.

i am sorry.

people spend more money on beer and fags in one night.

it is still cheaper to watch city than spend it all on the above.

you also pay more for other things.

I think presumptions about so called 'class' loyalties are wide of the mark.

We don't have anywhere near the same social structure as we did say even 50 years ago, we still have rich and poor, but we have less of a tangible 'class' divide.

The notion that football plays the same role as it did in the 50's and 60's in a social sense is wrong.In the same way that the church has fallen from grace in terms of it's standing and worth within society, Football no longer represents the working class because what was 'the working class' no longer exists/or wants to be seen as working class.

God bless Maggie Thatcher for declaring that society was dead, because England took a horrid right turn and we've never recovered. (note to self - despite hating Tony Blair, NEVER FORGET what the tories did to Britain)

We're left with a nation of transient workers, all tied up in service companies, with no real worth, no real value. all scrabbling to get our next dishwasher and extra loft bedroom or holiday in tenerife and no one gives a ###### about anyone else.

Football isn't turning it's back on a traditional fanbase - there just isn't one left. What football is doing is handing over control to financial types and speculators who view the whole exercise as a profit making scheme. They in turn are slowly squeezing the pips out before moving on.

I wasn't indenting to start a sociological debate BUT

"We don't have anywhere near the same social structure as we did say even 50 years ago, we still have rich and poor, but we have less of a tangible 'class' divide".

Disagree - the class divide is as strong as ever - contrast the scene in "MaccyDs" at ASDA with the scene at the tobacco factory to see it ! Some studies even suggest it is getting wider. Agree the structure may be different (fewer manual jobs, more service jobs etc) but there are still certain markers of class they are just a little more subtle than they used to be, they are now based around lifestyle and asset ownership rather than clothes, accent or birth

"The notion that football plays the same role as it did in the 50's and 60's in a social sense is wrong.Football no longer represents the working class because what was 'the working class' no longer exists/or wants to be seen as working class".

As someone who has been going to the Gate since the 70s I disagree. You still hear the same accents and see the same sort of people (primarily male, primarily under 50, primarily in manual occupations) yes they may dress better and have more disposable income but they represent the same demographic, and going to footy is still primarily an exercise in male bonding - how else could you get away from the misses every other saturday ??

Something like 45% of the population still describe themselves as working class, so perhaps "middle class" was the wrong phrase, what I meant was transient fans, people who go to football because it is fashionable, not because they love the game or the team. People to whom sitting in a confortable seat and being able to get a prawn baguette and a bottle of evian is more important than if we win or lose. People who have other "priorities" which get in the way of regular attendance, people who want smoking banned in football grounds because it upsets their delicate sensibilities on the rare occasions they turn up, people who think "atmosphere" is a Tracy Emin work, people who think we should all sit quietly and politely applaud when we score. Get my drift ?

Compare this to what I call traditional supporters (who I accept may or may not be as affluent as transient fans) they are people who have only ever supported City, and will only ever support City. People whose first experience of football was being taken to a game by their dad or older brother, people who will turn up to see the ninth game of a 9 run losing strreak and still sing their hearts out, people who will stand (or sit nowadays) in the rain on a freezing tuesday night in February to watch a goaless draw with s****horpe. These are what I call traditional supporters, and they are being squeezed, on one side by the rise of political correctness (No standing, no swearing, no singing, no smoking) and corporate greed - high ticket prices and pandering to the sort of mutual corporate jerk off epitomised by our premier seating

As someone who keeps his coal in the bidet I am very definately working class BTW !

11000 or so ... less than Scun*orpe. Given 8500 sth and close on 1000 Oldham fans ... under 2000 pay on the day. I would suggest this is indicative of how the high cost of walk-in tickets dissuades the casual support. Maybe a walk-in ticket of a tenner paid on the turnstile into the east end (shock horror) might push the gate towards that much anticipated 15k. I did attend today for the first time in a while - but could not persuade a couple of even more casual ex-fans to attend due to the outrageous expense of a walk-in ticket. In the meantime, their £4 pay on the gate at Slimbridge represented excellent value for one of the first major Cup upsets of the season!!

Seems every and any attendance sweetener is being tried except the one that WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE open the god damn E.E and it is guaranteed :grr::grr::grr:

30 + years of having a season ticket and my friend over 20 years the same - no longer bothering to go.

Simply can't afford it, meanwhile SL sits on his multi millions. On balance, I have given much more to City while the overpaid spoilt brats leave AG each week with pockets bulging with our cash - at least they appear to have started earning some of it though 3rd division wages shouldn't be over £500 a week.

i am sorry.

people spend more money on beer and fags in one night.

it is still cheaper to watch city than spend it all on the above.

you also pay more for other things.

Keep paying it then, the club enjoy fans like you who will take whatever is thrown your way, try £25 a match then £30, how high can you go?

Good luck to you if you can and will pay the prices, I could but wont out of principle, and to Nibor; I cannot commit to every home game because of personal circumstances, so the £15 a match by buying a season ticket does not apply to me.

Currently I am paying £21 a month to Sky for the complete package, thats fantastic value for all the football and movies I can watch in a month, plus my £30 annual fee to BCFC world, I can listen to all the games and watch the goals later. Now that is value in my eyes

Paying £21-£24 on the day to get into Ashton gate, will and does put people off going, on top of that add my fuel cost and fare for the Severn bridge crossing and I am looking at over £35 for the day, and their can be at least two of those a month. That definately is not worth it, and that is why the club have priced me out and many more like me.

I've put into the club for many years (violins please) and enough is enough for me.

EDIT....Forgot to say I don't drink or smoke either.

Keep paying it then, the club enjoy fans like you who will take whatever is thrown your way, try £25 a match then £30, how high can you go?

Good luck to you if you can and will pay the prices, I could but wont out of principle, and to Nibor; I cannot commit to every home game because of personal circumstances, so the £15 a match by buying a season ticket does not apply to me.

Currently I am paying £21 a month to Sky for the complete package, thats fantastic value for all the football and movies I can watch in a month, plus my £30 annual fee to BCFC world, I can listen to all the games and watch the goals later. Now that is value in my eyes

Paying £21-£24 on the day to get into Ashton gate, will and does put people off going, on top of that add my fuel cost and fare for the Severn bridge crossing and I am looking at over £35 for the day, and their can be at least two of those a month. That definately is not worth it, and that is why the club have priced me out and many more like me.

I've put into the club for many years (violins please) and enough is enough for me.

EDIT....Forgot to say I don't drink or smoke either.

I sympathise with your point of view but for me going down to AG on a matchday is about more than just the football.For years and years it was about meeting up with mates,having a few pints and a laugh,going along to the match and cheering the boys on.

Upto a point its still the same but as Chairman of the Supporters Club my matchdays are not so much about boozing and having a laugh but more about being there for members and dealing with enquiries and so on.Don't get me wrong I enjoy it just as much as I ever did and I can't ever imagine not going to AG to watch City.Its something I've done for years and will continue to do.

For me its been a part of my life for so long that I don't want to change it - regardless of how things are going on the pitch I will always be there.I know many are not like me but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.Bristol City is a part of my my life and I will never abandon them.

I totally agree on most of you complaining about ticket prices it costs me around £30 every home game and that can be tough if there in 2 home games in 1 week.

but we will have to get used to it next season when we play in the championship next season, yes might be worth it then because we will play bigger teams and soforth.

but if u are a true sh*t head buy a season ticket at the end of this season then there will be no complaints on ticket prices.

as on food and drink a couple of quid for a soggy burger and a cuppa tea that tastes like piss is a discrace, and as on the toilets well whats the point having nice toilets as all us men piss alover the floor any way. :rain:

Guest jackhammered

I sympathise with your point of view but for me going down to AG on a matchday is about more than just the football.For years and years it was about meeting up with mates,having a few pints and a laugh,going along to the match and cheering the boys on.

Upto a point its still the same but as Chairman of the Supporters Club my matchdays are not so much about boozing and having a laugh but more about being there for members and dealing with enquiries and so on.Don't get me wrong I enjoy it just as much as I ever did and I can't ever imagine not going to AG to watch City.Its something I've done for years and will continue to do.

For me its been a part of my life for so long that I don't want to change it - regardless of how things are going on the pitch I will always be there.I know many are not like me but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.Bristol City is a part of my my life and I will never abandon them.

I would have thought that as Chairman of the Supporters Club you would be a lot more responsible in your posts on this website.

This last week you have chosen to criticise one of our players,criticised your fellow fans[baiting them in the process] and generally been anything but responsible.

These arn't isolated incidents though are they?I see that you criticised our manager not so long ago...calling him a "conference manager" in the process and then excruciatingly trying to distance yourself by praising him at every opportunity.No doubt there are countless other infantile postings.

I would hazard a guess that you are an elected Chairman.I would also guess that quite a few of those who voted you in are now somewhat embarassed by your immature behaviour.I know I would be had I voted.

I would suggest that if you wish to regain any credibility in your remaining time as Chairman that you simply learn to grow up.Think before you post.Better still.Don't post at all.

Chairman of Bristol City FC Supporters Club?

Yer havin a laugh!

Not bothered at all of how things are going on the pitch and yeah it is about a laugh and a joke a drink and a smoke until you get into the ground.

I miss the heartbeat of the East End so much I have not attended once this season yet.

Until the like it or lump it attitude of the board changes I wont be back either :o:(:(:(

I would have thought that as Chairman of the Supporters Club you would be a lot more responsible in your posts on this website.

This last week you have chosen to criticise one of our players,criticised your fellow fans[baiting them in the process] and generally been anything but responsible.

These arn't isolated incidents though are they?I see that you criticised our manager not so long ago...calling him a "conference manager" in the process and then excruciatingly trying to distance yourself by praising him at every opportunity.No doubt there are countless other infantile postings.

I would hazard a guess that you are an elected Chairman.I would also guess that quite a few of those who voted you in are now somewhat embarassed by your immature behaviour.I know I would be had I voted.

I would suggest that if you wish to regain any credibility in your remaining time as Chairman that you simply learn to grow up.Think before you post.Better still.Don't post at all.

Chairman of Bristol City FC Supporters Club?

Yer havin a laugh!

Chairman or not, I'm still a fan at heart and therefore entitled to an opinion which I freely express.If I don't rate a player very highly or a manager for that mater then I'll say so.With regard to the "Conferance Manager" post of almost a year ago I would now say that I think Johnson has since done a good job and I'm very much behind the manager.He started this season with a clean slate as far I was concerned and has done well as the league position shows.Long may it continue.

My personal views are not necessarily the views of the Supporters Club which is a point I've made many times before.

The attendace is down 5.9% on last season, doesn't sound a lot but that is 687 per match. Withan estimate of £14 per ticket (taking into account kids) this equates to £9,618 per match - £57,708 to date and £221,214 over 23 league games!

Only 6 clubs in League 1 have increased attendances this term and 3 of those were promoted! Of the 3 other 1 has gone up by 0.4% the second by 9.3% and the third by a massive 21.3%.

Gas are down 17.5% or 1,048

We have fallen less than the division average (6.3%). Yeovil have fallen 14% despite having their best ever season. One thing to bear in mind is that we haven't had any of our big 4 home games yet (Forest, Swansea, Yeovil, Cheltenham). We should get good Xmas crowds for Bmouth and Vale and will also get good gates for the last 3-4 matches if we're still in the mix then. Edit - looking at the fixture list Forest, Swansea and Yeovil are all in the last 4 home games - not sure if the fixture computer has done us any favours there.

Someone mentioned a general football fatigue and I can't help wondering if this is due to a hangover from England's dreadul world cup perfromances. Also the fact there hasn't been such a long summer break means less time for excitement to build

Archived