IGNORED

Is He Too Young?

Matty H

Hi all.

My eldest son (who will be 5 in June) has been badgering me for months now to take him to "one of daddies football games"

Ive always said to him, so far, that he will get bored there (certain amount of truth in that on past seasons) :P

However, he loves playing football and sometimes sits with me and watches it on the TV and it's great that he wants to go and watch the mighty reds so i'm toying with the idea of taking him Friday, but is he too young?

I went to my first game when i was 7, as I said, he's nearly 5. What do you think? Karen (Wife) thinks he'll enjoy it but she doesnt know what its like having only been once with me several years ago

Well, the first City match I went to was when I was about 6 or 7. My brother was ill, so my gramp and mum took me instead. (Needless to say I asked the completely innocent question "where are the adverts?" at half-time, refering to the TV coverage :clap: )

Anyway, back to your son.... I don't think 5 is too young, especially with football being much more of a family game. If he's enthusiastic, then that's great, and it's probably the best time to take him (rather then dragging your child to a game and trying to convince him or her that they'll enjoy it)

Personally, I'd try to make a day of it. Get a seat where you know he won't hear too much language (e.g. the Family Enclosure, though I've heard some choice words coming from there in my time), take him round the club shop and get some merchandise to remember the day with, and tell him stories of "when you were a lad and went to your first game" :clap:

You could always try not telling him, and letting him find out as a surprise on the day.... I'm just trying to find ways of hiring and retaining an extra fan to the cause :P

Take him, he`ll love it.
You make a good argument :clap:

Thanks guys. If i'm honest with myself I think I will take him. He wants to go and I want him to experience what it's like when we score a goal...

I'll leave that last sentence open :clap:

I want him to experience what it's like when we score a goal...

Lets hope he has many such experiences, on Friday night and over the years. You obviously want to take him, so I think you should.

Welcome back to the forum!

Lets hope he has many such experiences, on Friday night and over the years. You obviously want to take him, so I think you should.

Welcome back to the forum!

Hi Dave.

Nothing would please me more than for both of them (I have a younger son whos nearly 3) to join me every Saturday :clap:

Hi all.

My eldest son (who will be 5 in June) has been badgering me for months now to take him to "one of daddies football games"

Ive always said to him, so far, that he will get bored there (certain amount of truth in that on past seasons) :P

However, he loves playing football and sometimes sits with me and watches it on the TV and it's great that he wants to go and watch the mighty reds so i'm toying with the idea of taking him Friday, but is he too young?

I went to my first game when i was 7, as I said, he's nearly 5. What do you think? Karen (Wife) thinks he'll enjoy it but she doesnt know what its like having only been once with me several years ago

Definately take him. I take my 5-year old son and he loves it. At that age, they dont take any notice of the swearing. If he gets restless have a bar of chocolate handy as a bribe for a half time treat if he is good in the first half. I used to need this but my son now gets through the 1st half with no bribes!

Good luck :clap::clap:

Definately take him.  I take my 5-year old son and he loves it.  At that age, they dont take any notice of the swearing.  If he gets restless have a bar of chocolate handy as a bribe for a half time treat if he is good in the first half.  I used to need this but my son now gets through the 1st half with no bribes!

Good luck  :clap:  :clap:

Thanks. That's the clincher then. His first game is Friday :clap:

Hi all.

I went to my first game aged 5 and absolutely loved it.

To be fair, we did beat Blackburn 4-2, but I don't really remember that much about the game. Bugger all actually!

It's all about the atmosphere and the other fans. Like that bit in Fever Pitch when Hornby sees the Green Grass of Highbury for the first time.

Magic.

Hi all.

I took my lad when he was a similar age (nearly 5).

Similarly, he had been badgering me to go for a while so, eventually, I gave in and took him, though I did take my other half too, just as a bit of support.

He was enthralled at first and took a fair bit of interest in the game for twenty minutes or so. After that, we kept him going with a supply of snacks and juice, which did the trick.

The main difference was, I took him when the weather was warmer than it is now (Hartlepool at home, was the game), which was an advantage, as he didn't get cold and miserable. We also sat in the Williams, so he didn't have the sun in his eyes, so as to cut off another avenue of potential complaint!

He made it through the ninety minutes and I think he was glad to have his curiosity satisfied as to what it meant when Daddy said he was off to watch football. He hasn't asked to go again yet, so I haven't taken him, but I hope to at the start of next season when, hopefully, the weather will again be warm.

Took my 4 year old nephew (who lives in London) to his first football match earlier this season (City v Grimsby).

He was really into it in the first half and because he's 4 took a real interest in our No.4 - kept chanting every time Tommy got the ball.

Second half he fell asleep on my lap and missed the goal (Roberts last minute) and meant I couldn't leap up and cheer.

He did enjoy it and asks everytime he comes to visit if he can go again.

I take both of mine, 3 and 5 years old, I have to admit I was uneasy at first , thinking what if etc. and having to walk out 15 mins into the game. However, much to my surprise they lovedit, (3 year old cost a fortune in coke, fruit pastilles etc.)

It was Bl00dy cold the first couple of times we all descended as a family, but I think the idea of dressing up like a snowman and looking the part with a scarf all helped add to the excitement.

Take him !!

Williams stand if you don't want to freeze your nuts off.

We took our kid to Ashton Gate when he was about five!

City v Middlesborough in the old first Division! Ole Joe

Royle got four on his debut!  :)

Our kid as grown up now, an he is a right city nut,

Just like we be! UP THE CITY!  :)

IMAG0022.JPG

The mind is made up and he's coming with me Friday. :D

Would the child abuse agencies have a case against me though for setting him up for a lifetime of frustration? :D

just make sure you are sat near the exit so that you can easily get to the toilet,because believe me thats where I spent most of the time when I started taking my two to football!!
Just make sure you take him for a wee just before kick off and again at half time and give minimal drinks first half!!

He'll either love it or hate it.

I know a City fan who couldn't wait to take his son down the Gate, he was only a toddler. When City scored he was so shocked at the eruption of noise he burst into tears and started screaming. That was in the 4th division, he's 20 now and has never been since.

My own son was the opposite, went down at 5-ish and loved it from the word go. The only problem now is that 7 years later the "happy little soul" who smiled his way through matches has now become a fanatic for whom a City victory is everything and a disappointment the cause of frustration and misery.

Then its back home to stare at the league table on Teletext and write out all the div. 2 fixtures for the next few weeks to put on the fridge.

Suddenly the "little'un" is a dyed in the wool, frothing at the mouth City fanatic who would go down whether i went or not, and whose reaction when City have a penalty turned down is not something you would put up with at home. But when we score, is he ever happier?

Wouldn't change it , it was always my intention to "make" him a City supporter. Think of it this way, IF he likes it, you'll have a shared interest with your son for life and never be stuck for conversation, and not all parents can say that. :)

He'll either love it or hate it.

I know a City fan who couldn't wait to take his son down the Gate, he was only a toddler. When City scored he was so shocked at the eruption of noise he burst into tears and started screaming. That was in the 4th division, he's 20 now and has never been since.

My own son was the opposite, went down at 5-ish and loved it from the word go. The only problem now is that 7 years later the "happy little soul" who smiled his way through matches has now become a fanatic for whom a City victory is everything and a disappointment the cause of frustration and misery.

Then its back home to stare at the league table on Teletext and write out all the div. 2 fixtures for the next few weeks to put on the fridge.

Suddenly the "little'un" is a dyed in the wool, frothing at the mouth City fanatic who would go down whether i went or not, and whose reaction when City have a penalty turned down is not something you would put up with at home. But when we score, is he ever happier?

Wouldn't change it , it was always my intention to "make" him a City supporter. Think of it this way, IF he likes it, you'll have a shared interest with your son for life and never be stuck for conversation, and not all parents can say that. :)

Absolute quality Nogbad :)

Guest east_dundry_red

Our kid as grown up now, an he is a right city nut,

Just like we be! UP THE CITY!  :)

Let me correct that............

It should read " He's a right NUTTER!"

Hi Matty, glad to see you are bringing your children up the right way!

I agree with all the above regarding toilet, drinks, wrapping up warm etc. The other thing to consider that night matches finish late, especially the Wycombe one ! So you might have a tired grumpy child on the way home! If he has been to school all day it is a long day. Being Friday night though he won't have to get up to school the next day. My daughter , who at 8 is a bit older than your son, didn't get to bed until 10.45 on Wycombe tuesday, child cruelty or what!

Just another thing, my children don't like to watch footie on TV much now they have been to 'real' games. They appreciate that there is so much more gained watching Bristol City 'live' than Man U on Sky!

Thanks guys. If i'm honest with myself I think I will take him. He wants to go and I want him to experience what it's like when we score a goal...

That reminds me of a mate of mine, who's a gashead. He was faced with the same predicament as you and reasoned "I want him to experience what it's like when we get a corner".

The only concern should be which part of the ground you're in. As it's an evening game, no need to worry about sun in the eyes. I took my elder daughter when she was just starting school to watch City v Brighton. We stood in the East End and there was a good atmosphere; City had been playing well, Brighton had gone 17 games unbeaten but City were 3-0 up at half time. That was the problem. Loud noises scared her and a large crowd cheering loudly in the reverberating East End started her crying. Luckily, Brighton scored twice in the second half, but then Joe Jordan came on as sub, scored one and set up another to set off more cheering from us City fans and tears of fright from my daughter. She did get bored towards the end, but played by swinging on the crush barriers.

If you intend taking a child, do it now and not when we are in the Prem (2006/07?) as Prem grounds don't tend to have half price admission for children. 1998 it cost £30 to get my 10 year old son into Highbury. Afterwards he complained that he had been going to Highbury for two years and had yet to see Arsenal win there. I thought back to August 76 and said "I've been going to Highbury for 22 years and not seen Arsenal win there". :P

Archived