IGNORED

Proudest Moment Supporting City

TinnionForEngland

My proudest moment supporting City would have to have come against Sheffield Wednesday just over a week or so ago.

The now well heard of track "Hi Ho silver lining" came on, and after i had tears flooding from my eyes, i fought them big with a big chorus of "Hi ho bristol city, everywhere we go we're winning"

I was so emotional but so proud of the boys and i will be heartbroken if we dont get promotion this time round as i also found myself crying when we lost out to Cardiff in the play off's, devastated, and crying at half time because i knew we were not going to do it!

LDV FINAL captivated everything that is BRISTOL CITY FC for me and the number of fans we took was unbelievable, part timers or not.

COME ON CITY!

I was so emotional but so proud of the boys and i will be heartbroken if we dont get promotion this time round as i also found myself crying when we lost out to Cardiff in the play off's, devastated, and crying at half time because i knew we were not going to do it!

LDV FINAL captivated everything that is BRISTOL CITY FC for me and the number of fans we took was unbelievable, part timers or not.

Tommy Doherty lifting that trophy at the Millenium Stadium infront of 40,000 Bristol folk tops it all, a moment i shall never forget. The tears were really flooding then :)

Difficult question, but I'd probably say the night we went Top of the League, at Grimsby a few weeks a go is a good shout.

It was a fantastic way to win and to send us top, and I was proud of every single one of those fans who were there that night. They did the club proud.

Difficult question, but I'd probably say the night we went Top of the League, at Grimsby a few weeks a go is a good shout.

It was a fantastic way to win and to send us top, and I was proud of every single one of those fans who were there that night. They did the club proud.

Jeeeez, how could i forget. I think thats probably the proudest moment this season and as Godzilla said, every single fan that was there that night did our club proud.

Guest comeonyoureds

for me the amount of city fans at the millenium stadium was something very special! but i also agree with going top at grimsby on that tuesday nite 3 weeks ago, was quality to be there! hope its not the last time this season we go top though!

also the 11 match unbeaten run was of course something to be proud of!

Completely outplaying Arsenal at Highbury in our first game in the top flight

As Robbored states Big Cheese's header thumping into the net.

Our entire team then cost about a third of Supermac alone.

Then managing to escape Arsenal's "Clock End Crew" as I bumped into them on the way out.!!

Definately promotion to the old First Division! Nothing has come close since - apart from Cheesely's winning goal at Arsenal..
I still get tearful thinking about it, Whitehead's early goal and the reaction at the end. I was with my dad and oldest brother and when they saw me crying they thought I had been hit in the fans rush to get on the pitch, until they saw the smile on my face.

:):)

Loads of proud moments.

Grimsby Town away this season was amazing, well worth booking a day off work for, fans were good, players were world class and didn't stop running all game and fully deserved the win, Plymouth losing just made the icing on the cake, top of the league!

When Tommy lifted the LDV Van's Trophy at Cardiff last season to the tannoy man going "And the winners of the LDV Van's, Bristol City!" it was just amazing, and they say it's only a mickey mouse cup!

and they say it's only a mickey mouse cup!
It is, and always will be a Mickey Mouse cup..........ask any fan from the Prem or 1st Divison and most fans from the other divisions and they couldn't tell you who won last year or who is in the final this season.

I have just had a long think and so many moments spring to mind. Mine though has to be Getting promotion out of the old division three back in 1990. We had been stuck in the lower leagues for years and that day will be with me forever. Given that just eight years earlier we nearly went out of buisness, it just made it all worth while. Thousands of fans running on the pitch several times, the celebration at the end. Even the gas winning the title that day does'nt spoil it for me.

Close second would have to be the night we beat the gas for the first time in years. Donawa scoring right at the death. Awsome night.

It is, and always will be a Mickey Mouse cup..........ask any fan from the Prem or 1st Divison and most fans from the other divisions and they couldn't tell you who won last year or who is in the final this season.
Yeah, but have you ever noticed that most of those who say it's a mickey mouse cup haven't won it recently :P

And all I can say to Premiership or First Division fans: it's a cup for the lower leagues that those who are successful in it enjoy. We can't all challenge for the FA Cup :)

I was at the three games mentioned by Godzilla, Glosboy and Robbored and all made me very happy. Perversely what made me proudest of City was two games during our dark period.

1982 when City slumped into the 4th div, I actually enjoyed looking people in the eye and stating "I am a Bristol City fan and we are still here". Two years later, "City are back" was my motto.

Guest bemmyred

Watching a virtual team of youngsters beat Wimbledon, who were then top of the table, 4-2 at Ashton Gate in the old 4th division which I think took us off the bottom of the table.

To see the players reaction at the end you'd have thought they'd just been promoted & won the cup all in one.

Mine was Ninnian Park, Dec 28 2001 (i think). Getting absolutely battered at half time, losing 1-0 and 2,500 City fans getting pelted with coins and bottled (I tried to say a naughty word). Then we come out second half and score 3 goals in 6 minutes through Murray and Matthews (2). Absolutely awesome, was so proud to come back in that style against the Scum

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass

That was Class!! (cardiff), we're there 2,500 of us there? But i remember being hit with coins and dogging bottles full of (I tried to say a naughty word)! The faces of the Cardiff fans was magical

Guest WillsbridgeRed

My top 3.

3. The 3-0 win against Rovers in the LDV. Ok it was LDV but the mighty Ellington in Danny Coles pocket, we destroyed them that night - Took liberties all over the pitch against the scum, perfect!

2. Watford 1 - Bristol City 1 1997/98 When Goater turned on the half way line, the packed away end - Oh what a day

And the winner is...

1. Reading 1 - Bristol City 3

Lee Matthews debut - Coming back from 1-0 down and taking up a full allocation on a friday night. It was great. That day I felt City were only club I could ever want.

Other memorable mentions:

LDV finals

Exeter away in LDV (Talk about taking over a ground)

Liverpool in the cup

2-0 over Rovers to go top in 97

WBA away 98

All great days which made me proud of the club, fans and players

Guest pentlandsl

For me it was the relegation season from Div 1 at Crewe. A HUGE City following despite the knowledge we were being relegated who sang their hearts out the whole match. At the end the Crewe supporters went on the pitch to applaud us - fantastic!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"So, what changed?"

St Marys.

Before that I always belived City were a bigger club, would play at a higher level in the near future and be the true red and white giants of the south (Outside London). I never gave my hometown much thought.

It just shows what a new stadium can do for support.

Watching a virtual team of youngsters beat Wimbledon, who were then top of the table, 4-2 at Ashton Gate in the old 4th division which I think took us off the bottom of the table.

To see the players reaction at the end you'd have thought they'd just been promoted & won the cup all in one.

not quite bottom of the table at the time they beat wimbledon 4-2 , i was in the old enclosure for that game.

but beating hereford away 1-3 when we were bottom made me proud to see the reaction of the players,management and supporters

and to think only a few seasons earlier we were playing the likes of liverpool,arsenal and man utd!

For me it was the relegation season from Div 1 at Crewe.  A HUGE City following despite the knowledge we were being relegated who sang their hearts out the whole match.  At the end the Crewe supporters went on the pitch to applaud us - fantastic!

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to mention this one.

This was not a night for the glory seekers. We had to win in order to have any chance of staying up. The support was tremendous. Fans had come in big numbers - not to see their team win (we already knew the game was up), but simply to support the boys. Show them that we were there - for them - no matter what.

Even good ole Scott Davidson bought the beers in the pub beforehand - nice touch that, instead of lording it in the directors bar.

Also, I enjoyed Stockport away in 94. It was the next round of the cup (after Liverpool). The most tactically aware performance I have seen City give. We played Leroy Rosenior at centre back - purely because of his heading ability - to mark 8' 10" Kevin Francis out of the game. We won 4-0

1.DONNIE GILLIES SCORING THE WINNER AT LEEDS & IN THE PROCESS SAW THE BREAKUP OF ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS EVER IN THE 1st DIV

2.WHO CAN EVER FORGET THE MANSFIELD COMEBACK

3.PUTTING ARSENAL & SUPERMAC[NOT SO SUPER MAC]IN THEIR PLACE :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: :Party27:

I have just had a long think and so many moments spring to mind. Mine though has to be Getting promotion out of the old division three back in 1990. We had been stuck in the lower leagues for years and that day will be with me forever. Given that just eight years earlier we nearly went out of buisness, it just made it all worth while. Thousands of fans running on the pitch several times, the celebration at the end. Even the gas winning the title that day does'nt spoil it for me.

Close second would have to be the night we beat the gas for the first time in years. Donawa scoring right at the death. Awsome night.

Just weird.....when I started reading this thread, these are the two incidents I thought of...in reverse order though....!

Donowa getting that goal 2 mins from time was so overwhelming given our recent history against them at the time.

The Walsall game I think had about 3 pitch invasions before the final whistle....two because news (or false rumours as it turned out) had spread round the Gate that the Gas had lost at Blackpool, and then another when we thoguht the free-kick the ref was blowing for was the final whistle!!! Magical days.

Another was the last game of the season a few years back against Champions Preston at home. Final whistle blew and the usual pitch invasion started. Then hundreds of City fans piled towards the away end and applauded the Preston fans for ages. With all the bad press City fans get, it was emotional to be a part of that.

Oh, and BucksRed.....really anal nitpick here, but we didn't stop any Prem fans taking the p***when we beat Chelsea 3-1....that was about four or five years before the Prem came into being! :P sorry......he he!

The first time I saw City play at Wembley was special v Bolton in the Freight Rover (?) Winning the match helped as well as a great atmosphere between City and Bolton fans. At the time I thought it could be the only chance I'd get to see my team at Wembley.

Archived