IGNORED

Mr Johnson

Wilksi

Who else saw what happened yesterday????

I was disgusted and appalled at MR Johnsons behaviour yesterday.

Its all well and good people saying he had a right to do so if we were slating his son etc etc.. WE WERENT.

I was sat right at the front right next to the dug out yesterday, at half time someone from higher up in the stand shouted out to get Williams off and Brown on. He turned round and said don't worry about them get on and support the ones that are out there.

So we did. gave more support and encourgament than Johnson did. And when Scott Brown came on we clapped and gave encourgemnet as per MR JOHNSON had asked.

Then when David Noble was coming on we did the same thing. "Come on Noble you can do it, head up mate show them what you can do".

At this point MR Johnson turned around and shook his head at us and tried to stare me out. He turned back round shook his head another 5 times and decided to stare at Mrs Wilksi instead. As Little Lee came off he pointed towards the fans shrugged his shoulds and shook his head again.

Now I'm not saying this is what he said but from the impression it was something along the lines of "sorry son, them up there have called for you to come off so i have had to, not my decision it's thiers".

from his body language this was the way it appeared.

Now if we had given Mr Johnson or Little Lee ANY stick during the game I could understand it and even he could be slightly justified. BUT we hadnt, we had given MR Johnsons team NOTHING but support for 90 mins and this is the way he treats the Fans, who will be here a hell of a lot longer than MR Johnson will ever be.

Iam dis heartened and discusted by the actions of this man.....

Just goes to show some of the stories are true......

Mr Johnson comes across as posion...

Still if he gets us promoted no one will care, thats the sad thing.

Agreed it was a very strange thing to do its not like were booing every time he gets the ball

I don't notice the same reaction when its Williams coming off or Carey

Lee Johnson made a difference yesterday credit to him but Johnson Snr don't take it so personally I just hate seeing our midfield ran straight through time after time.

Millen conducted himself very professionally encouraging players when going on or coming off

Who else saw what happened yesterday????

I was disgusted and appalled at MR Johnsons behaviour yesterday.

Its all well and good people saying he had a right to do so if we were slating his son etc etc.. WE WERENT.

I was sat right at the front right next to the dug out yesterday, at half time someone from higher up in the stand shouted out to get Williams off and Brown on. He turned round and said don't worry about them get on and support the ones that are out there.

So we did. gave more support and encourgament than Johnson did. And when Scott Brown came on we clapped and gave encourgemnet as per MR JOHNSON had asked.

Then when David Noble was coming on we did the same thing. "Come on Noble you can do it, head up mate show them what you can do".

At this point MR Johnson turned around and shook his head at us and tried to stare me out. He turned back round shook his head another 5 times and decided to stare at Mrs Wilksi instead. As Little Lee came off he pointed towards the fans shrugged his shoulds and shook his head again.

Now I'm not saying this is what he said but from the impression it was something along the lines of "sorry son, them up there have called for you to come off so i have had to, not my decision it's thiers".

from his body language this was the way it appeared.

Now if we had given Mr Johnson or Little Lee ANY stick during the game I could understand it and even he could be slightly justified. BUT we hadnt, we had given MR Johnsons team NOTHING but support for 90 mins and this is the way he treats the Fans, who will be here a hell of a lot longer than MR Johnson will ever be.

Iam dis heartened and discusted by the actions of this man.....

Just goes to show some of the stories are true......

Mr Johnson comes across as posion...

Dear oh dear.....Aren't you being just a little over sensative? At least Johnsons response shows that he's passionate about things.If that had been Wilson you would have got no reaction at all and you'd now be moaning about that..

Give the guy a break - can you imagine what it must be like having to listen to your own fans 'adivsing' you on something they know very little about? It would certainly p1ss me off.

Johnson is also a great believer in the fans getting behind the team and doesn't take well to negative or critical remarks from the crowd who he feels should be supporting the team.A little naive maybe but but a reasonable sentiment nonetheless.

An interesting post, due to the fact that I sit in the Williams and see GJ's responses week in week out and that is very much his style.

When there are people giving the team / players a roasting (of which I do not, because I save that for the pub after) GJ quite frequently turns around and gives the fans a stare / shrug/ abuse. I get the feeling I would do the same when I was proved right....

Personally I have no problem with it, as thats the kind of bloke he is. A hard nosed hot head, not afraid to dish back what he / the team have been given.

I am not sure I would spend time with him as a mate, but I am also not bothered with whether he likes any of us either. I was amused to note yesterday that Fergie was obviously doing the same at the Man U - newcastle Game yesterday.

Still, if he does get us promoted, I for one as you say definately won't care!....But I won't send him a congratulations card

:englandsmile4wf:

Damn right I would'nt care!! So he had a little bust up but with the fans-big deal,don't get me wrong it isnt professional from GJ and he shouldnt of done it, but he did- just leave it now.

Can't really see an anti-Johnson thread being of any benifit, afterall this is the same man trying to get our club promoted.

there are many times in football when this happens, one that springs to mind was end of last season when drogba had been getting stick off a fan because he hadn't scored for a while. When he scored he confronted the fan as if to say "have you got anything to say now"

i don't think this type of "confrontation" between fans and player/manager is unhealthy and heh look how drogba has been since

Dear oh dear.....Aren't you being just a little over sensative? At least Johnsons response shows that he's passionate about things.If that had been Wilson you would have got no reaction at all and you'd now be moaning about that..

Give the guy a break - can you imagine what it must be like having to listen to your own fans 'adivsing' you on something they know very little about? It would certainly p1ss me off.

Johnson is also a great believer in the fans getting behind the team and doesn't take well to negative or critical remarks from the crowd who he feels should be supporting the team.A little naive maybe but but a reasonable sentiment nonetheless.

Were you there and did you see it happen?

I wasnt advising him on anything. Never ONCE said anything to him, or shouted one negative comment about the team/players. I supported them for 90 mins and offered.

I offered support to Noble, which he had asked for and he turned round and shook his head. This was before the substuttion had been made and before the board went up so I had no idea who was coming off, the second MR Johnson did this I knew it was his son coming off.

Sorry but I was not critical of the team/players at any point but yet Mr Johnson still wanted to have a go because his son was coming off..

Damn right I would'nt care!! So he had a little bust up but with the fans-big deal,don't get me wrong it isnt professional from GJ and he shouldnt of done it, but he did- just leave it now.

Can't really see an anti-Johnson thread being of any benifit, afterall this is the same man trying to get our club promoted.

I agree, I don't quite understand what Wilksi's post is designed to achieve?

I wasn't there yesterday but I think there is a good chance that this is all a misunderstanding. It is very easy within a group of people to only pick out certain comments or misunderstand where those comments are focused, e.g. it is sometimes difficult to work out whether booing at a substitution is directed at the player or the subbing of him. It also easy to think that a player or someone on the bench is looking directly at you, I have celebrated a goal personally with a player many times in my minds eye! :blush:

If GJ heard booing he may have felt it was being directed in the wrong direction, considering that Lee J has been getting abuse from a section of supporters, he may have thought he was getting it again and considering he had just scored he would have been upset.

Welcome to the problem with some of our fans. Instead of lettying it lie at the game which is all about passion. People have to bring it onto this forum so that others can have a moan and groan. Get off GJ back as far as most of us are concerned to sit 3 off the top at this time of the year is pretty damn good considering where we were last year.

Well done GJ and keep up the good work.

I agree, I don't quite understand what Wilksi's post is designed to achieve?

I wasn't there yesterday but I think there is a good chance that this is all a misunderstanding. It is very easy within a group of people to only pick out certain comments or misunderstand where those comments are focused, e.g. it is sometimes difficult to work out whether booing at a substitution is directed at the player or the subbing of him. It also easy to think that a player or someone on the bench is looking directly at you, I have celebrated a goal personally with a player many times in my minds eye! :blush:

If GJ heard booing he may have felt it was being directed in the wrong direction, considering that Lee J has been getting abuse from a section of supporters, he may have thought he was getting it again and considering he had just scored he would have been upset.

Not trying to achivce anything.

This is an open internet forum and I am making my own comment and giving my opinion of something that I saw yesterday and I was not very happy with. That is all.

I was all of 6 foot away from Mr Johnson, I would normaly agree with you but at that close of a distance you know when someone is looking at you.

And if you read the post, no one around us was booing the substution as the board hadnt gone up and no one knew who was coming off.

All we did was do as MR johnson had asked and supported the players out there, there were NO BOOS at that time because we didnt know who was going off.

He knew, and blamed us for something that never happend he nevr heard, my point being this is very very very unprofessional and it was as if it was our fault that Lee was substuited. If you were down the front you would of seen it.

Welcome to the problem with some of our fans. Instead of lettying it lie at the game which is all about passion. People have to bring it onto this forum so that others can have a moan and groan. Get off GJ back as far as most of us are concerned to sit 3 off the top at this time of the year is pretty damn good considering where we were last year.

I havent been critical about where we are in the league OR his team selection OR the teams performance OR anything like that, but yet you seem to think I have?

I'm not on his back and that is somewhere I wouldnt like to be.

Did you read my full post or did you just decide to get on my back?

Guest ashtonyate

Also get of his son's back I like Johnson junior he is still settling in but because he's the bosses son he get all the stick give him a fair crack of the whip.

The Lee Johnson reaction happened when some fans cheered as he was substituted and, judging by the kids reaction, he definetly heard it.Whilst I'm not GJ's best mate by a long chalk, I didn't think that was on and said so in the Match Review.

I was close to the back of the dug out, and I spoke to AND applauded Lee who I thought did one excellent thing (the goal) and made some decent runs past the ball, which is rare for City central midfield players.I've touched on his overall performance in the Match Review.

I didn't see GJ do anything but shake his head at those fans that made the ironic cheers and I made the point that if they're going to give anyone stick,(not that I'm suggesting it) they should give it to his old man because he's the bloke who selects Lee Johnson and the other 15 players on show. If he stared at you and your missus then that's out of order-I can only think that he may have thought you said something you didn't :dunno:

GJ was something of a cult figure at Yeovil and for many there, could do no wrong which is understandable given his record with them (which is why he's here) and I think he struggles badly when he isn't looked up to in the same way.Bristol City Fans won't do that until he gets us promoted and moreover keeps us in The Championship-at least because the expectation level is far higher.You can argue all day about the expectation level and whether it should be as high, but that fact that it is in many quarters is imutable.

The fans support was excellent overall, not a fantastic amount of singing, but there were more there than I'd have thought, once again, given another forgettable away performance coupled with a disappointing draw at another club threatened with relegation, who weren't, let's face it, a great team :(

It's clear to me.....and has been for a while, that we need to play some exciting, quality football to really get the fans going, similar to that we played under GJ at the back end of last season.That doesn't mean that we'll play cosmic football week in, week out because nobody does.Neither should we have to "grind out" results for months on end, match after match either.Until that happens, Gary, you will have critics, like it or not, sulk or not and you never know, even the fawning in house media & EP may ask the odd difficult question....we can all hope!

Overall, compared to far more succesful managers like Benitez & Ferguson, who get far more criticism in their local press, you get a relatively easy ride.

Also get of his son's back I like Johnson junior he is still settling in but because he's the bosses son he get all the stick give him a fair crack of the whip.

well done very clever.. arent you good... where did i ever get on his sons back?

Come back when you read things properly.

The Forum is about comment and long may it continue.

Because it's open we can't control the comment and opinion (obviously the MODS will take out anything totally out of order ITO and that's the same with all Internet Forums) and it is a rare picture of honestly held opinion in this over sanitised, media friendly, PC World and that's not to say it's right......It's opinion, good & bad, clever & daft and no matter how much some at AG, and GJ's one of them, want to be able to control it-turning the fans on and off when it suits, that won't happen.Thank God for that.

• Admin
He knew, and blamed us for something that never happend he nevr heard, my point being this is very very very unprofessional and it was as if it was our fault that Lee was substuited. If you were down the front you would of seen it.

I was sat in the section behind the dug out yesterday and was also surprised to see the way GJ turned to the fans, reading through the posts above it is obviously not the first time this has happened. But as I sit in the Atyeo at homes games the sitting by the dugout experience was new to me yesterday, so just assumed that this sort of thing happens all the time.

Only thing I would say if GJ wants to react to criticism from supporters around him, I wish he would interact with the fans when something good happens IE when we score. Lets see him running down the touchline and sliding on his knees infront of our fans (that was a joke - but you get the point)

Maybe he was wrong but I also saw him staring up into the far corner of the stand aswell, that IN MY OPINION is where the booing / cheering of the Lee Johnson substitutuon was coming from, so I guess it felt "personal" but was probably more general. Quite possibly he may have heard you being vocally supportive and just "assumed" (wrongly) that it was the same voice this time. . . . .

The Lee Johnson reaction happened when some fans cheered as he was substituted and, judging by the kids reaction, he definetly heard it.Whilst I'm not GJ's best mate by a long chalk, I didn't think that was on and said so in the Match Review.

I was close to the back of the dug out, and I spoke to AND applauded Lee who I thought did one excellent thing (the goal) and made some decent runs past the ball, which is rare for City central midfield players.I've touched on his overall performance in the Match Review.

I didn't see GJ do anything but shake his head at those fans that made the ironic cheers and I made the point that if they're going to give anyone stick,(not that I'm suggesting it) they should give it to his old man because he's the bloke who selects Lee Johnson and the other 15 players on show. If he stared at you and your missus then that's out of order-I can only think that he may have thought you said something you didn't :dunno:

GJ was something of a cult figure at Yeovil and for many there, could do no wrong which is understandable given his record with them (which is why he's here) and I think he struggles badly when he isn't looked up to in the same way.Bristol City Fans won't do that until he gets us promoted and moreover keeps us in The Championship-at least because the expectation level is far higher.You can argue all day about the expectation level and whether it should be as high, but that fact that it is in many quarters is imutable.

The fans support was excellent overall, not a fantastic amount of singing, but there were more there than I'd have thought, once again, given another forgettable away performance coupled with a disappointing draw at another club threatened with relegation, who weren't, let's face it, a great team :(

It's clear to me.....and has been for a while, that we need to play some exciting, quality football to really get the fans going, similar to that we played under GJ at the back end of last season.That doesn't mean that we'll play cosmic football week in, week out because nobody does.Neither should we have to "grind out" results for months on end, match after match either.Until that happens, Gary, you will have critics, like it or not, sulk or not and you never know, even the fawning in house media & EP may ask the odd difficult question....we can all hope!

Overall, compared to far more succesful managers like Benitez & Ferguson, who get far more criticism in their local press, you get a relatively easy ride.

I agree with everything you say BB

One point though and i know somone else can confirm this, the first stare and shake of the head came when I stood up when noble first getting ready to come on and I said "go on noble show them what you can do, nothing else was said/shouted and GJ turned straight around shook his head and stared. I didnt know who was coming off and offered no abuse.

When LJ sat in the dug out litteraly a foot away we said to him that he had had a good game scored a good goal and gave him a clap. And I'm not his biggest fan.

I was sat in the section behind the dug out yesterday and was also surprised to see the way GJ turned to the fans, reading through the posts above it is obviously not the first time this has happened. But as I sit in the Atyeo at homes games the sitting by the dugout experience was new to me yesterday

Sitting in the Dullmoan the dugout experince was new to me as well, i chose to sit so close to try and get a better understanding of what KM and Mr Johnson do/say during a game. I was just very very disapointed.

Some of you people are forgetting one thing. Johnson is a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL MANAGER. As such, he really should not get involved in public "stare outs" or "slanging matches" with supporters. It is childish, unprofessional, does him no favours and worst of all it does not matter how right he is in any individual incident he simply CANNOT win. It does not matter about provocation, what you would do or what I would do in the same circumstances. You and I are not picking up 5 large or similar every week to do a professional job and carry the necessary responsibilities that go with it.

In my opinion the support was generally positive yesterday with a few people shouting criticisms at various individuals and a few cheering when Nr 33 went up on the board. To exhibit body language to the player substituted intimating that it was really the fans who got him subbed is and then staring out supporters who do not appear to have shouted the obscenities he heard is showing a massive lack of professionalism and Gary Johnson needs to cut this out. What message does that send to the other players? Is Gary Johnson in charge or is it the fans calling the shots? If I was Steve Lansdown I would call him into my office and tell him to manage the team and forget about supporters criticisms in no uncertain terms.

Why shouldn't Wilksi be upset? The guy and his missus have spent considerable time and money following their lifelong football team 150 miles away from home and his "reward" for that support is a childish "stare out" from a manager who has obviously identified them incorrectly and really shouldn't be getting involved in the first place. THIS IS THE VERY REASON HE SHOULD NOT GET HIMSELF INVOLVED.

Yes, we have loud mouth moaners and so do 91 other professional clubs in this country. Managers have to learn to live with it or find a different profession to take up.

Some of you people are forgetting one thing. Johnson is a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL MANAGER. As such, he really should not get involved in public "stare outs" or "slanging matches" with supporters. It is childish, unprofessional, does him no favours and worst of all it does not matter how right he is in any individual incident he simply CANNOT win. It does not matter about provocation, what you would do or what I would do in the same circumstances. You and I are not picking up 5 large or similar every week to do a professional job and carry the necessary responsibilities that go with it.

In my opinion the support was generally positive yesterday with a few people shouting criticisms at various individuals and a few cheering when Nr 33 went up on the board. To exhibit body language to the player substituted intimating that it was really the fans who got him subbed is and then staring out supporters who do not appear to have shouted the obscenities he heard is showing a massive lack of professionalism and Gary Johnson needs to cut this out. What message does that send to the other players? Is Gary Johnson in charge or is it the fans calling the shots? If I was Steve Lansdown I would call him into my office and tell him to manage the team and forget about supporters criticisms in no uncertain terms.

Why shouldn't Wilksi be upset? The guy and his missus have spent considerable time and money following their lifelong football team 150 miles away from home and his "reward" for that support is a childish "stare out" from a manager who has obviously identified them incorrectly and really shouldn't be getting involved in the first place. THIS IS THE VERY REASON HE SHOULD NOT GET HIMSELF INVOLVED.

Yes, we have loud mouth moaners and so do 91 other professional clubs in this country. Managers have to learn to live with it or find a different profession to take up.

The Managers and Players who "get themselves involved" are the ones that make the game interesting. Managers like Warnock, Allen etc who react with emotion at least encourage to have an opinion on them one way or another (I love to hate Warnock and Allen btw). Just because they react to the crowd and show emotion doesn't mean they can't live with it, it just means they show their feelings in a different way.

As someone else said on this thread DW used to get stick for not showing any emotion, people used to assume that meant he didn't care, which I am sure was not the case.

What a boring game it would be if every Manager/coach/player was the same. "Vive la difference" as they say.

May as well stick my Bradley in...

Like, Wilksi's well within his rights imo. He has more emotional capital invested in BCFC than GJ ever will, thats to say the Club is far more inherent in his identity than what it is in Gary Johnson's.

So over-sensitivety.....? whatever...

As for nepotism (wrd?)....you look after your own isn't it? The concept of professionalism is undermined in that respect..

As for my personal opinions of GJ?......who cares? If he gets the job done he gets the job done....that's business...it probably is over sensitivety to allow that to blinker you...something that seems too apparent in the comment of some of the contributers to this forum....

The Managers and Players who "get themselves involved" are the ones that make the game interesting. Managers like Warnock, Allen etc who react with emotion at least encourage to have an opinion on them one way or another (I love to hate Warnock and Allen btw). Just because they react to the crowd and show emotion doesn't mean they can't live with it, it just means they show their feelings in a different way.

As someone else said on this thread DW used to get stick for not showing any emotion, people used to assume that meant he didn't care, which I am sure was not the case.

What a boring game it would be if every Manager/coach/player was the same. "Vive la difference" as they say.

Agree to a point but when that "character" involves shaking your head at and staring out supporters who you have incorrectly identified then the mark has been well and truly overstepped. Allen is more of a wind up merchant than anything else and brings a bit of fun into proceedings and Warnock is more passionate and gets involved in the odd flare up. But what I saw and the accounts I have read about Johnson yesterday are slightly more concerning than that and I think he needs to be very wary of fighting our supporters - there is no mileage in it at all, however right he may feel he is (and actually be).

Would you have said the same thing if Johnson had heard you call him a "Conference Manager" and gave you a bit then because I imagine that would have p1$$ed him off big time? Using your own logic, do you accept that your remarks were therefore those of someone who knew very little at the time?

I was at the game yesterday sat a few rows up from the dugout and I was surprised that Gary Johnson reacted in such a manner. But frankly I think the City fans should cut him some slack. We are 3 points off the top of the league and in the best position heading into the business end of the season that we have been for a long time. With a couple of astute signings automatic promotion is a real possibility. We should be celebrating that fact and getting behind the team unequivocally. Our support could make a real difference come May. Personally I don't think Lee Johnson played well yesterday (although there were some moments of quality), and the match was of poor quality. But the guy just scored the equaliser for us in a good move. I imagine Gary Johnson's reaction was symptomatic of his general frustration regarding the hard-to-please City fans.

Agree to a point but when that "character" involves shaking your head at and staring out supporters who you have incorrectly identified then the mark has been well and truly overstepped. Allen is more of a wind up merchant than anything else and brings a bit of fun into proceedings and Warnock is more passionate and gets involved in the odd flare up. But what I saw and the accounts I have read about Johnson yesterday are slightly more concerning than that and I think he needs to be very wary of fighting our supporters - there is no mileage in it at all, however right he may feel he is (and actually be).

The guy shook his head and glared at some people! It's not a big deal. It's football and things happen in the heat of the moment,In my opinion some are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Gary is doing a good job with us only being three points of the top -threads like this don't help.

I was sat in the row behind Wilksi yesterday and was not happy to be given a DEATH STARE by GJ for NO reason at all.

NOT ONCE did anyone within the group that got the stare of death give LJ a hard time or infact a bad word. The only time LJ was mentioned was after he came off and a couple of lads shouted over to him ' well done you had a good game today.

The point that has angered me is Johnson is the manager - the boss.

If he thought LJ was playing well enough to keep playing then why Sub him???

as LJ was coming off GJ shook his head and held his hands up to Lee as if to say sorry son it was out of my hands.

Gary - you are the Boss - its your decision, not the fans, nobody else's but yours!!!!!! you think he is playing well then you carry on playing him and don't sub him, then shake your head and in the words of Vicky Pollard 'don't give me evils all game'.

Show some professionalism and don't get involved in banter with fans - its your job to take it on the chin. City fans have been supporting the club alot longer than you being there and will still be around a long time after you - You are never going to win ALL fans round but it is your job to remain professional.

I have certainly seen GJ in a different light - and not one I particulary like.

The guy shook his head and glared at some people! It's not a big deal. It's football and things happen in the heat of the moment,In my opinion some are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Gary is doing a good job with us only being three points of the top -threads like this don't help.

Wrong. It is a big deal because he stared at the WRONG person and his missus. People I know would have gone to the touchline had he been staring at their missus and asked him what the **** he was doing and furthermore, if he fancied doing something else about it outside. That is why the issue is serious and has nothing to do with league position and how well he is managing the footballing side.

Archived