IGNORED

Does Gary Johnson like us?

mossey

I reckon Johnson sometimes can't understand why the faithfull are so critical of all things City including him.I remember him expressing huge suprise on Twentyman last season when some fan said he'd bet money on City being relegated.Johnson asked him how he could bet on such a thing when he supposedly supported City.I thought at the time that Johnson was just a little naive in his response.He didn't understand just how fed up and negative many City fans had become after so many miserable seasons and false dawns.

There is still a great deal of negatism even though City are handily placed going into the new year and Johnson just can't get his head around it.He hasn't been at the club long enough to understand the fans mind set.

His image also doesn't come across as 'fan friendly' unlike John Ward or Tinnion who were both very amiable and approachable.That said, whenever I've met him he always been very accomodating.

At Yeovil he almost became a deity and was revered wherever he went.No so at City.Maybe thats a part of the issue as well.

Has he made a public attack on fans? I've heard him ask for more noise, and saw him shaking his head at Leyton O, but surely that's understandable?

No he hasn't made a public attack. The original poster feared he might do in the near future. I am just saying that he would be better for him to not make such an attack if it is going through his mind to do so.

I reckon Johnson sometimes can't understand why the faithfull are so critical of all things City including him.I remember him expressing huge suprise on Twentyman last season when some fan said he'd bet money on City being relegated.Johnson asked him how he could bet on such a thing when he supposedly supported City.I thought at the time that Johnson was just a little naive in his response.He didn't understand just how fed up and negative many City fans had become after so many miserable seasons and false dawns.

There is still a great deal of negatism even though City are handily placed going into the new year and Johnson just can't get his head around it.He hasn't been at the club long enough to understand the fans mind set.

His image also doesn't come across as 'fan friendly' unlike John Ward or Tinnion who were both very amiable and approachable.That said, whenever I've met him he always been very accomodating.

At Yeovil he almost became a deity and was revered wherever he went.No so at City.Maybe thats a part of the issue as well.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

• Admin

"Personally" could not give a monkies whether he likes the fans or not.

All I want is him to deliver some kind of success to Bristol City - end of !

Thing is (health condering) I will be at this club a long time after him, as I have been at this club along time before him - he could be the nastiest bloke or the the nicest but does not change the results on the pitch

Can I just say that this whole thread is like a breath of fresh air. Not because of what is being said but the way in which the debate is being conducted. Pretty much all the posts are thoughtout and reasoned points of view and arguments are made with the post rather than the poster. Plus there is none of the single line text speak/ messenger rubbish. Yeah OK, I showed my age there.

I am a regular reader of the forum but not exactly a prolific poster. Bit like Russell really, I go to all the games but don't do much when I get there.

Anyway the quality of the thread has spurred the keyboard in to action.

You can say all you like about "i don't care about performances, i just want us to go up", but I'm afraid you need both if you want a vibrant, full Ashton Gate.

Results will bring in the loyal 13k-15k, but you need excitement to get the extra 5k-7k in.

Agreed with virtually everything in the original post except the above. If we were top now and winning every game till the end of the season by a scrappy 1-0 believe me we would be getting the 15K crowds. There would certainly be a whole lot more at AG than if we were 7th or 8th and losing at home to 4-3 thrillers. This doesn't mean I particularly like our current method of defending a one goal lead, especially against Championship opposition

I think the underlying problem (and this is also the root cause for many other issues at the gate i.e crowds) is that City fans in general have ran out of patience. Not with the Johnson in particular, but with being stuck in this poor excuse of a league for so long.

I've said this before, but it has come to a point where promotion is not something to be celebrated in the eyes of many City fans, but merely something of a formality. I'm not saying that City fans have a right to expect promotion (we all know it's something to be earned) but we've come so close on a few occasions, spent quite a bit of money (for this level) and have always been a big club (for this level) that when/if promotion finally comes i don't see people dancing in th street saying "I can't believe it, we've done it" i merely see them sighing with relief and saying "finally, now lets get stuck into the championship">

The expectation level is now at such a point that anything less than promotion is failure. I don't think Johnson fully gauged this (and the general level of apathy) before he took the job on. Few City fans (even now) are excited by the team or the football and yes we can all say well done after earning 3 points but we've had to sit through some rubbish to get there.

You can say all you like about "i don't care about performances, i just want us to go up", but I'm afraid you need both if you want a vibrant, full Ashton Gate.

Results will bring in the loyal 13k-15k, but you need excitement to get the extra 5k-7k in.

spot on it will be a case of ''merely see them sighing with relief and saying "finally, now lets get stuck into the championship''

I firmly believe that Gary Johnson is the person who will get us promoted, unlike many other City fans i'm prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip (the same sort of time as Wilson, who I liked by the way!) and although I would be hacked off if we miss out again this season i'm quite happy to give him more time as I believe eventually he will bring some good times back to this club.

Why - on what logic do you justify that post ?

How many City fans would have choose G Johnson as their 1st choice for manager?

Fans are fickle, certainly those from Bristol City.

As soon as the club were touting for a new manger, there was some fairly high profile names flying about.

When it came down to the final 3, all were not in that catergory.

Hence fans will have a pop at the guy in charge, plus the people that put him there.

Thats the way it is.......simple as

perhaps because since he has become manager of this club, alot of things off the field have been sorted that had problems for years, but mainly because of the progress that has been made since he has been at the club, so far so good.

his progress and his success failure can't be fully judged until he has had a full season, but at the current moment in time, judging him on what we can so far, many feel he is doing a good job

personally speaking alot of managers names where banded around when Tinnion went, of those their was the main 3, Johnson, Ward & Martin Allen, of those from their previousl experence Johnson had the most success as a manager,

personally I was regardless of any other people involved, John Robertson was my first choice, with Gary Johnson a close 2nd (mainly because I thought there was no way we could get him) boy was I wrong and Steve Lansdown I feel made the best decision I feel considering the people available.

Nothing so far has swayed me from my decision that right now Johnson is the right man for the job

perhaps because since he has become manager of this club, alot of things off the field have been sorted that had problems for years, but mainly because of the progress that has been made since he has been at the club, so far so good.

his progress and his success failure can't be fully judged until he has had a full season, but at the current moment in time, judging him on what we can so far, many feel he is doing a good job

personally speaking alot of managers names where banded around when Tinnion went, of those their was the main 3, Johnson, Ward & Martin Allen, of those from their previousl experence Johnson had the most success as a manager,

personally I was regardless of any other people involved, John Robertson was my first choice, with Gary Johnson a close 2nd (mainly because I thought there was no way we could get him) boy was I wrong and Steve Lansdown I feel made the best decision I feel considering the people available.

Nothing so far has swayed me from my decision that right now Johnson is the right man for the job

OK - fair comment - no problem with that - not convinced myself but time will tell I guess !

totally agree with most pretty much all of that, looking back at the time to when the appointment was made, personally I was surprised that Lansdown pulled out all stops to get him to the club, (plus GJ didn't come cheaply!) he met him and knew right away that he was the best man for the job, personally the only other person that was around at the time that might have interested me would have been Robertson or Paul Sturrock, but neither were really available at the time I think,

Been impressed with the way he has dealt with alot of things that needed to happen and he seems to have a single narrow mindedness of trying make this club successful and quite honestly he doesn't care if he ruffles a few feathers along the way, he's upset a couple of players which he felt needed to be dealt with (rightly or wrongly) but you can be sure the players remaining at the club wouldn't dare cross him, something that can't be said about various previous managers, they know they place and what is expected of them and seem to be behaving accordingly. (AT LAST!)

Think GJ's biggest problem has been 2 things, the "MS" situation, something he just felt needed to be done and his other problem has been signing his son, there is no doubt that Lee is a good player and on a Free Transfer very good value, but some people are now paying more attention to Johnson Jnr's performances and if he has a poor game, is used against Gary. Unfair, but something no doubt both know about from their time at Yeovil, let's be honest though, if Tinnion/Wilson had signed Lee Johnson I doubt there would be too many complaints,

alot of the other stick Gary gets is exactly the same as previous managers, Team Selection & Subs, Wilson used to get the same stick all the time, as did Ward, so that is nothing new.

There is no doubt we could still do with a key signing in a position or two and a couple of players haven't produced the form (yet?) that was expected of them and this season we have suffered a few injuries and losses to key players, but overall feel the club (as a whole) seems to be moving in the right direction again (well hopefully!)

City fans have long had a love / hate relationship (mostly hate) with the clubs managers for a long time now.

Only popular managers I can remember in recent times were Jordan 1st time round, Ward and Wilson (sometimes) otherwise we've had a whole load of muppets and incompetent faliures at the helm. Heres my top 5 hall of shame:

1- Tony Pulis.. Who else ? The undisputed most unpopular manager we've ever had !

2- Russell Osman ... Who can forget that time when he got the winning goal and was booed by half the City fans in the ground. Clown.

3- Benny Hill... Totally useless as manager but far too comical a figure to be hated like Pullis.

4- Brian Tinnion... Out of his depth. Had the sympathy of the fans ( but not for long though! )

5- Terry Cooper.... At regular intervals a mob the likes of which has not been seen since would gather outside the directors window and demand Coopers sacking. Happy days !!

So bearing all this in mind I reckon Johnsons not doing too badly at the mo. Probably used to being worshiped at Yeovil !! Gotta earn it here !! Lets hope he does.

who's old enough to remember chanting "Dicks out" ? :chant6ez:

Cant argue with our league position, and the fact he cleared out the booze culture, gave the Whorefield three another chance, or saved our ass, last season, but the way we only play well for fifteen -twenty minutes in most games doesnt inspire me (Or 3 points out of nine from three of the bottom five clubs). I also don't buy his scouting (?) system. Baz??? Do me an fn favour. and I aint any too convinced of some of his decisions: Easter in particular for an example, funny how WBA among others are sniffin' round a player GJ don't rate?

I also think he has the Wonderson disease of playing his favorites, even when they clearly aint in form. Also think he handled the Stewart issue poorly, very poorly (and just to RESTATE the point I didn't rate Stewart, as Arny, Nibor, and several others will attest, but I reckon a second chance could & SHOULD have been given).

The team, in my opinion is not as good as Wilson's teams, and he doesn't inspire any feelings of yeah!! we're going places!!!, at all, not like big Joe, in his first spell did, or Wardy in the promotion season, or Wilson's first full season in charge.

Maybe its all the other stuff going on around the club, I dunno, cos I cant see a great side here at all. maybe its because Ive seen it so many times, but sorry jury is still out for me personally. call it a gut feeling. I had this about Wardy AFTER we did go up..and thats the way I feel about him.

Besides I never ever trust cockernee geezas, lived round here far too long to...too many are talk talk talk.

Sorry, but thats my feelings on GJ.

Previous posts alluding to the fans running out of patience at the length of time the club have spent in this league are spot on. Season after season we are promised much by the club (when it's season ticket selling time) only to be let down time after time after time. Personally the shambolic whimpout against Brighton was a killer blow for me. I've never felt so low and let down after watching City and it took me months and months to get over it. Maybe I still haven't. Consequently, I don't care how we do it, what the football is like, what the manager is like, or what the players are like, I just want us to get out of this damn league. The likes of Cardiff, Stoke, Plymouth, Hull, Colchester, Luton, Reading, Wigan (ok the last two have had money) have passed us by and its galling that where they succeeded we failed again and again. Yes, I do feel (perhaps wrongly) that we have a right to expect to be in the Championship but maybe thats due to being brought up on the old Div 2 side (Galley, Garland etc) evolving into a side that reached the top league of English football. Maybe I've turned into a miserable old git but it's just the way I feel!

that's the thing, for each person (and their friends) who are not fans of Johnson there is equal measure of people who are fans for Johnson, just speaking to people on a weekly basis that I do, more people than not think Johnson is doing a pretty good job,

as some say though, if the season finished today, we are not promoted, however they overlook the fact that we would have a play off place, for me for a first full season (taking into consideration un-avoidable off field events) that is a good start, whether we won them or not is a lottery, got it is very good progress and I've always been of the feeling that if we are making decent progress each season under a manager, he gets my backing, the last 2 that have done that were Wilson and Ward, I do feel that it won't be long until GJ is respected in the same manner!

Your comment "speaking to people on a weekly basis"..... Are they actual live viewing fans or of the watching from afar majority.My point is that for those that follow from afar ,hearing the news ,looking at the league table it would suggest all things are looking good.Those that attend and look for all the intracasies of our club are more able to grasp the real situation and if honest with themselves grasp both the strengths and weaknesses of the current regime

Your comment "speaking to people on a weekly basis"..... Are they actual live viewing fans or of the watching from afar majority.My point is that for those that follow from afar ,hearing the news ,looking at the league table it would suggest all things are looking good.Those that attend and look for all the intracasies of our club are more able to grasp the real situation and if honest with themselves grasp both the strengths and weaknesses of the current regime

think we have 2 in work (season ticket holders), one who watches from a far, plus another group of 8 of us who are season ticket holders and sit together/meet in pub each game without fail! (4 of which I know of are regulars on here)

just to clairify

Old man Terry pretty much answered for me Rod, I remember the utter shambles this club was in not so long ago and the despair and wailing on this forum with some suggesting we were certs for relegation, the club is in turmoil, players don't care etc, etc.

Now we are in a good position, undoubtedly we haven't played the best football we have seen at AG but in the past but we are in our current position because we deserve to be. When we were at the bottom of this division and relegation was a possibility many said we weren't to good to go down and we deserved to be where we were as results over a sustained period don't lie, the same is true now (but swap relegation for promotion!!!).

You have a total dislike for Gary Johnson, thats your opinion and your right, however, as we are currently in 4th position in January and still in two cups, the players are behaving and playing with commitment and heart (whilst maybe not producing the best football we have seen) so lets turn your question around to you, given the facts above and the undoubted upturn in league position and player attitude, on what logic do you justify your stance?

Cant argue with our league position, and the fact he cleared out the booze culture, gave the Whorefield three another chance, or saved our ass, last season, but the way we only play well for fifteen -twenty minutes in most games doesnt inspire me (Or 3 points out of nine from three of the bottom five clubs). I also don't buy his scouting (?) system. Baz??? Do me an fn favour. and I aint any too convinced of some of his decisions: Easter in particular for an example, funny how WBA among others are sniffin' round a player GJ don't rate?

I also think he has the Wonderson disease of playing his favorites, even when they clearly aint in form. Also think he handled the Stewart issue poorly, very poorly (and just to RESTATE the point I didn't rate Stewart, as Arny, Nibor, and several others will attest, but I reckon a second chance could & SHOULD have been given).

The team, in my opinion is not as good as Wilson's teams, and he doesn't inspire any feelings of yeah!! we're going places!!!, at all, not like big Joe, in his first spell did, or Wardy in the promotion season, or Wilson's first full season in charge.

Maybe its all the other stuff going on around the club, I dunno, cos I cant see a great side here at all. maybe its because Ive seen it so many times, but sorry jury is still out for me personally. call it a gut feeling. I had this about Wardy AFTER we did go up..and thats the way I feel about him.

Besides I never ever trust cockernee geezas, lived round here far too long to...too many are talk talk talk.

Sorry, but thats my feelings on GJ.

Thing is Bucks if I remember rightly Johnson told Easter to do one because he had a crap attitude, far as i'm concerned thats spot on. How many players disrupt team morale due to a shite attitude dispite being goalscorers?(Leon Knight being a good example) I would agree that there doesn't seem to be a general feeling of yeah!! we're going places! But I think that has more to do with the mixed feelings on this board, most people I talk to at matches who don't use this board feel the club (at least the playing side) is in safe hands and that Johnson will bring promotion (not necessarily this season!!)

Ahh come on Hornbeamred, bloke has,nt had a metion since he flew off to the green fields of Yeovil, not by me anyway.

Little tad unfair mate.

I don't know what it is about Johnson.

I cant really get my head around it, as i said we cant knock our league position.

All my mates want us up, ofcourse they do, and if its with Johnson at the helm, we,ll all be happy chappys.

But like i said, 36 years don't the gate, has only yielded a small percentage of sucsess, and not convinced its on its way this season!!!!!!

Yeah I know Arny, sorry mate couldn't resist.

I don't know whether he likes us and if I was putting together a list of Managerial attributes it would be fairly low down. I am not that sure that I would want him as a friend either and have said this in the past but again I think there is a little bit in that saying "nice guys finish last".

Ah yes, everyone's either a Stewart loving Johnson hater or a Johnson loving Stewart hater. Must be a pretty drab world you live in what with it being in black and white. It's perfectly possible to believe that GJ screwed up or at least could have done better in that situation but still support him as a manager and believe that he's done many other things well. At least it is for me.

I think GJ's problem with the fans is that he underestimated the levels of expectation here and overestimated the patience we have. I imagine he looked at the four or five years Wilson got to clean up the Pulis mess and figured he was good for a couple of seasons of rebuilding before being under massive pressure and perhaps he's now surprised that most City fans regard being fourth as barely acceptable. I don't think he's wrong to feel that way either, but the thing is we've been stuck in this shithole for 7 and a half seasons now irrespective of who's manager. The dissatisfaction slowly increases every season and I don't think the fans are wrong to feel like that either.

As with anything in football the bottom line is the result - not the result of one match or a nice little set of games that you can call a good run - the result of a league campaign after the end of the season.

That is a pathetic response mate, and is just not true, can you just accept that it might not have anything to do with "other players" and that some people are just not happy with Gary Johnson as our manager as they have been with other previous managers?

You guys both having a bad day at work yesterday? It was hardly worth that response was it? Arny and I have had are back and forths over the MS affair and neither of us have felt the need to be quite so nasty to eachother in our replies.

Yeah I know Arny, sorry mate couldn't resist.

I don't know whether he likes us and if I was putting together a list of Managerial attributes it would be fairly low down. I am not that sure that I would want him as a friend either and have said this in the past but again I think there is a little bit in that saying "nice guys finish last".

You guys both having a bad day at work yesterday? It was hardly worth that response was it? Arny and I have had are back and forths over the MS affair and neither of us have felt the need to be quite so nasty to eachother in our replies.

Funny HB, but was thinking the same myself.

You certainly would,nt want a night out with Johnson.. :sleeping: , yet seems to control his team well enough.

For me, thats good enough!!!

Great point that "nice guys finish last", to.

The bloke just don't seem to come across that well, and def has a chip on his shoulder.

But leave it there.

We could be joint top sat so for me..... :shutup:

Funny HB, but was thinking the same myself.

You certainly would,nt want a night out with Johnson.. :sleeping: , yet seems to control his team well enough.

For me, thats good enough!!!

Great point that "nice guys finish last", to.

The bloke just don't seem to come across that well, and def has a chip on his shoulder.

But leave it there.

We could be joint top sat so for me..... :shutup:

chip on his shoulder, blimey just look at the other managers with chips on their shoulders, Big Sam, Jose M, Fergie, Wenger, Iain Dowie, Mark Hughes, Neil Warnock, it's not uncommon and not that bad a thing really.

I can't see any nastiness in either reply, I think you're being a little oversensitive.

I wouldn't have bothered normally but this polarisation that some posters force on the forum is my pet hate on here. You can't just put people in a pro or anti, it's lazy and most things are more complicated than that.

I can't see any nastiness in either reply, I think you're being a little oversensitive.

I wouldn't have bothered normally but this polarisation that some posters force on the forum is my pet hate on here. You can't just put people in a pro or anti, it's lazy and most things are more complicated than that.

And as our "2006" undoubted, king of the forum, you say your bit "Lord Nibor".

Like a judge having the last say............. :sun:

Apart from being called "pathetic" and being told I live in a drab Black and White world you mean.

The point is moot anyway as Arny and I have swapped PM's on the subject and dealt with it ourselves. Thanks anyway Judge. :rolleyes:

Apart from being called "pathetic" and being told I live in a drab Black and White world you mean.

You weren't called pathetic, your post was - and deservedly so. You can complain all you like about this fictitious nastiness, you know it's not there you're just using it as an excuse not to answer the point about how you like to pigeon hole posters into pro or anti Johnson.

As for the Judge comment - thanks but no thanks. I'd have our prisons overflowing even faster than they are already.

chip on his shoulder, blimey just look at the other managers with chips on their shoulders, Big Sam, Jose M, Fergie, Wenger, Iain Dowie, Mark Hughes, Neil Warnock, it's not uncommon and not that bad a thing really.

Difference between those names and the cockernee dwarf: They have won cups, or been promoted at a higher lever, and they don't have problems with players who don't tow the party line, and stand up for emselves. He errrrrrr aint. and it may well be yet to come but it aint yet.

I don't know if Gary Johnson likes the fans or not and he would probably say himself...The fans pay his wages and so have a right to be heard...

However as a group of supporters City fans are well known as being among the most negative, thus when they moan and bitch about being 4th in the table being in the hat for the 4th round of the FA Cup and having another outstanding chance of getting in the final of the LDV (or what ever trophy) its little wonder the bloke might think privately....What a bunch of ######s!....

I too do not like the idea of some of his substitutions at times but the upside is there is often a coherent thought process that has gone it to it...Unlike BT and one or two other managers I could name....

As I see it....the manager has been told by the board get us up at all costs...Bugger the stylem, entertainment value and feelings of the players and supporters....And if I was bank rolling the club that is what I would say....So next time somebody attacks Gary Johnson for his decision making they might want to think a little more about the brief he's got from the Chairman....

We are in there with a very decent shout this season we are hard to beat and never give up...Lets just see if we can do enough in front of goal to get us where we all want to be next season!

Archived