IGNORED

Johnson going?

icamanicity

Tom F your readin this any news????

I haven't heard anything, I don't know why you'd think I would know anything anyway!!

I could ask Mr D, but I don't think he'll know anything either :dunno:

I read the following in the Evening Post:-

Sky Blues MAY go for City manager to replace Adams - speculation

Coventry chairman is UNDERSTOOD to be keen to speak to Johnson - hardly definite fact

Johnson is THOUGHT to be in the Coventry boards discussions - not fact then

Johnson will have been impressed by the state of the art facilities at the Ricoh - probably, yes

Now for some facts:-

Coventry are £20 million in debt, close to administration and lease the Ricoh

Coventry's chairman stated yesterday that they want to get to the Premiership in three years

Coventry's current team are light years away from being good enough to win the Championship

Coventry sold their best player to a team who are going to the Premiership a few months ago to ease debt

If you were the Coventry Chairman looking for Premiership football in three years, who would you go for:-

Ian Dowie - proven track record of getting Palace into the Premiership on limited resources

Gary McCallister - ex-international who has played under good manager's, will have good contacts and has a link with the club

Eric Black - did a decent job at Coventry before and popular with the fans

Gary Johnson - respected within the game as a good manager but has not managed above third division level and who'se track record of promoting teams is limited to the Conference and the Fourth divison (so far)

If you actually read the story it is just a local journalist putting two and two together based on something that happened a couple of years ago coupled with events of a couple of days ago. He could, of course, be correct and the answer is four but I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money on it. And of course we now have the posters with impeccable "sources" coming on and saying moves are afoot. For crying out loud, Coventry are drawing up a short list, have not asked Bristol City if they can even approach Johnson yet and have not started interviewing. The whole thing is just speculation at the moment.

Good to hear someone finally talking sense greebo. The other issue of course is that Coventry would have to pay rather a lot of compensation to release Johnson from his contract here (which they might not be able to afford) and other options like Dowie are free agents at the moment.

I read the following in the Evening Post:-

Sky Blues MAY go for City manager to replace Adams - speculation

Coventry chairman is UNDERSTOOD to be keen to speak to Johnson - hardly definite fact

Johnson is THOUGHT to be in the Coventry boards discussions - not fact then

Johnson will have been impressed by the state of the art facilities at the Ricoh - probably, yes

Now for some facts:-

Coventry are £20 million in debt, close to administration and lease the Ricoh

Coventry's chairman stated yesterday that they want to get to the Premiership in three years

Coventry's current team are light years away from being good enough to win the Championship

Coventry sold their best player to a team who are going to the Premiership a few months ago to ease debt

If you were the Coventry Chairman looking for Premiership football in three years, who would you go for:-

Ian Dowie - proven track record of getting Palace into the Premiership on limited resources

Gary McCallister - ex-international who has played under good manager's, will have good contacts and has a link with the club

Eric Black - did a decent job at Coventry before and popular with the fans

Gary Johnson - respected within the game as a good manager but has not managed above third division level and who'se track record of promoting teams is limited to the Conference and the Fourth divison (so far)

If you actually read the story it is just a local journalist putting two and two together based on something that happened a couple of years ago coupled with events of a couple of days ago. He could, of course, be correct and the answer is four but I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money on it. And of course we now have the posters with impeccable "sources" coming on and saying moves are afoot. For crying out loud, Coventry are drawing up a short list, have not asked Bristol City if they can even approach Johnson yet and have not started interviewing. The whole thing is just speculation at the moment.

Good post Greebo - makes a lot of sense !

Dowie should be going to Leicester as soon as the takeover goes through...

Quote Colis

He's lying!

Norwich didn't want him.

Yes, they did (or at least wanted to talk to him)

Norwich didn't approach City.

Yes they did

Norwich never offered anything to be "declined" There was never, ever, any connection or approach.

Yes, there was Quote

I really think you need to substantiate that, especially the part about GJ lying

My thoughts from GJ's perspective regarless of media rumour and any actual Coventry interest:

I think he won't want to leave this job half done, promotion this season is highly attainable and will be an impressive addage for the CV.

Also, Coventry?? I'd bide my time if I were him, if all were to go to plan here he'd be in a position to walk into a far more appealing job as early as this time next year.

Just not the right move at the right time if you ask me.

Great post Greebo.

Of course, as a professional football manager, it never does any harm to be linked with jobs because it gets you noticed at a national level.

There are two ways of looking at it:

As a Pro, you stay and get the job done.

As a Pro, you go for the main chance on the basis that it might not come along again always providing that the contract and the money's right.Also, knowing that you wouldn't be the first City manager to be fired after failing to win promotion or gaining promotion and struggling a bit!!

Several well known managers have secured themselves financially for life by getting sacked for being "useless" in their clubs eyes-Dowie & Les Read this season alone.Even the great (and I don't use that word as lightly as some) Brian Clough, got fired in about 48 days at Leeds and admitted that set him up for life.So, if the contracts right, even on the basis of short term failure, it can be well worth it, in financial terms if GJ, say doubled his salary and got a three year contract.

As I said before, sure as eggs are eggs, GJ will leave here in two ways-Fail then sacked-Great Success-then poached and there comes a time when you really do get an offer that you can't refuse.

Could this be a very clever ploy by Latham and the Evile Post to finally get the fans fully behind Mr Johnson??...........Cant remember us ever chanting "Gary Johnsons red and white army" before....But i'm sure as sure that it will be sung on the 27th!!

Over to you......

:ph34r:

last home game

also see.......http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72914

I guess it makes sense that Coventry would come in for him again. Before they appointed Mickey Adams, when GJ was at Yeovil, he was top of their wish list to be their manager. They approached GJ and he turned them down flat. I can't see how anything that has happened since would have changed his outlook on it. I reckon we're safe.

I guess it makes sense that Coventry would come in for him again. Before they appointed Mickey Adams, when GJ was at Yeovil, he was top of their wish list to be their manager. They approached GJ and he turned them down flat. I can't see how anything that has happened since would have changed his outlook on it. I reckon we're safe.

One things changed. City fans don't worship him like we did. Not a criticism but he's more likely to get annoyed at the "support" from you than ever he did at Huish Park.

Archived