IGNORED

A windfall for Steve? (merged threads)

zippycar

Good luck to him,

30+ years to build a company from scratch, hard work, putting the right people in place and giving the right incentives to his staff.

If he is allowed to continue to build this club with the same `ethic` we will be watching a higher quality of football for many years to come.

The foundations are in place and this proves that we have the right chairman at the right time and the long term future of our club is in the best possible hands.

Good luck to him,

30+ years to build a company from scratch, hard work, putting the right people in place and giving the right incentives to his staff.

If he is allowed to continue to build this club with the same `ethic` we will be watching a higher quality of football for many years to come.

The foundations are in place and this proves that we have the right chairman at the right time and the long term future of our club is in the best possible hands.

Well said.

Exactly.

We have a financially prudent chairman in charge, who probably regrets the 'cheaper option' of Tinman, and is now prepared to back a sound manager (GJ) to get out of this division without bankrupting the club.

Have you seen how much Championship players go for? £750k for Panic-biyi? There is a huge gap between League 1 and the Championship. If we go up, hopefully we can cherry-pick the best players from League 1 for sensible transfer fees.

Getting £2m for Cotterill and spending £100k on Wilson is incredible business and shows the club has a solid foundation in place and a good chance of staying in the Championship should we get there.

Good luck to him,

Good post Sir. I've often had my doubts about Steve Lansdown as Chairman of BCFC especially after he kept Danny Wilson as manager for probably two seasons too many. However, if he can run this club like he's run his own business we'll see top flight football back at Ashton Gate sooner rather than later. :clapping:

Up the City

I don't doubt that Lansdown is the right man for chairman at the moment. He has already lent the club significant sums of cash to keep it going.

I believe that promotion to the championship will see the release of more funds but only if we the fans do our bit - ie Buy season tickets and sale out the gate more weeks then we don't.

That way the board will see financial commitment from us so they can reciprocate. Lets see an end to the petty words over the premier seating etc - as shown by the draw of Middlesboorugh and the rugby fixture at Xmas - if the quality of the spectacle on offer is good enough the fans will pay. I believe the cheapest ticket to watch the rugby at Xmas was £30?

OH.MY.GOD.

How many sensible post in one thread? :shocking:

A new record for OTIB?

There is a predicted shortfall in the worlds supply of tinned sweetcorn.

Steve should take all of his money and put it into sweetcorn.

We could do our bit and fill our shelves with copious amounts of the stuff.

We then `donate` our empty tins to be melted down and used for a new stand thus building the entire new stand for about 72k which is how much the 3x2 would cost.

The executive boxes would be called the Sweetcorn Suites.

Under this plan we would be in the premiership in 2 years and in Europe within 4.

This is the way forward and if he dosn`t do this he is a ####### and i will take back all the nice things i said about him.

Better?

There is a predicted shortfall in the worlds supply of tinned sweetcorn.

Steve should take all of his money and put it into sweetcorn.

We could do our bit and fill our shelves with copious amounts of the stuff.

We then `donate` our empty tins to be melted down and used for a new stand thus building the entire new stand for about 72k which is how much the 3x2 would cost.

The executive boxes would be called the Sweetcorn Suites.

Under this plan we would be in the premiership in 2 years and in Europe within 4.

This is the way forward and if he dosn`t do this he is a ####### and i will take back all the nice things i said about him.

Better?

I believe that promotion to the championship will see the release of more funds but only if we the fans do our bit - ie Buy season tickets and sale out the gate more weeks then we don't.

that wont be a problem. if we make the championship there will be at least 10,000 season ticket holders if not more. and with the likes of west brom, wolves, leicester, leeds, west ham?, sheff weds, sunderland, etc, etc the gate will be full or at least very nearly full for most home games i would imagine.

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves

Interesting to see how this develops.

If the deal does go through & Lansdown does increase his personal wealth, it will be then we see whether he has the b@lls to invest like the Madejski's of this world.

Or will it be left to Sexstone to come up with more money making schemes to fund stadium development etc. (Premier seating)

Interesting to read how Dunceford wants to leave a legacy with the new stadium in place.

What will Lansdown want to be remembered for? Surely he won't want to be 2nd best to the Milkman?

What about the Lansdown Hargreaves Gate. The best stadium in the South West. Sounds grand.

Interesting to see how this develops.

If the deal does go through & Lansdown does increase his personal wealth, it will be then we see whether he has the b@lls to invest like the Madejski's of this world.

Or will it be left to Sexstone to come up with more money making schemes to fund stadium development etc. (Premier seating)

Interesting to read how Dunceford wants to leave a legacy with the new stadium in place.

What will Lansdown want to be remembered for? Surely he won't want to be 2nd best to the Milkman?

What about the Lansdown Hargreaves Gate. The best stadium in the South West. Sounds grand.

I would prefer Steve to continue building the club not to throw money at it and us be even more dependent on him that we are now. We threw money at it the last time we got promoted and it has taken us 10 years to sort it out and we still aren't straight. The club needs to support itself.

You talk about legacy, Steve is a part of the same board who launched the Acadamy and continued to back it. I personally believe this to be a massive legacy.

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves
I would prefer Steve to continue building the club not to throw money at it and us be even more dependent on him that we are now. We threw money at it the last time we got promoted and it has taken us 10 years to sort it out and we still aren't straight. The club needs to support itself.

You talk about legacy, Steve is a part of the same board who launched the Acadamy and continued to back it. I personally believe this to be a massive legacy.

I certainly wasn't saying that Lansdown should throw money at the club.

I used the Madejeski example, as from the Elm Park days through to the new stadium, he wisely invested & moved Reading forward.

I see Lansdown doing it this way. And how proud we would be.

I think Lansdown has learn't a lot from the recent years. From the mistake of appointing Tinnion through to the concerns over ticketing issues.

The parting of the ways with Laycock proved to many that Lansdown won't go the cheap route.

Tinnion was Laycocks choice. And the legacy of the Academy also rests with Laycock.

I think Lansdown is very much a supporter of the Academy & long may it continue. But it's not something that we as a club most wholely rely on to bring us success.

Which was the Laycock/Tinnion/Fawthorp vision.

• Admin

I remember SL saying on The Championship a few weeks ago that he would release the purse strings in the Summer if we find ourselves in the Championship. Obviously at the time he said this he would have known that his own personal wealth would have considerably grown by then. We might even see unprecedented spending (for BCFC at least) this Summer!

Good post Sir. I've often had my doubts about Steve Lansdown as Chairman of BCFC especially after he kept Danny Wilson as manager for probably two seasons too many. However, if he can run this club like he's run his own business we'll see top flight football back at Ashton Gate sooner rather than later. :clapping:

Up the City

Blimey Gobbers, sounds like you are chumming up to a filthy capitalist running dog!

Oh, yeah, and a Royalist toff/snob.

May I be the first to say that Steve is a wonderful fella with business acument and beautiful hands.

I like his dress sense and his sense of humour. A better chap we could not hope to have as chairman.

And I'm not at all suggesting he share his new found wealth with fellow City supporters.

Nor should he "donate" a spare ticket for 'boro for those of us, like me, who don't have one.

Great bloke. :superman:

Up until now, Steve has pumped money into the club from his personal fortune... and then pumped it out again the other end via dodgy manager contracts (especially DW) who in turn mismanaged funds in the transfer market. This has left us in a very sorry financial state and exactly where we started league-wise (despite all the talk of "moving forward").

My concern now is that if Steve has even more money to lend BCFC, he will really go to town and we will end up going bust.

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves
I remember SL saying on The Championship a few weeks ago that he would release the purse strings in the Summer if we find ourselves in the Championship. Obviously at the time he said this he would have known that his own personal wealth would have considerably grown by then. We might even see unprecedented spending (for BCFC at least) this Summer!

Roll on promotion.

Roll on the floatation of Lansdown Hargreaves.

:chant6ez:

Well done Mr L, a fantastic company and a credit to Bristol. I hope fans do not expect him to waste 30 years of hard work on the football club, he can do what he likes with it. If he did go mad, I hope he does it to leave a legacy. Players come and go, but a 30 thousand all seater ground will be a lasting and visible contribution to the history of bcfc and to the city of Bristol. Again though, full respect to the chairman for his business success, hard earned and well deserved.

Yes, any windfall should be earmarked for a new stadium - the "Lansdome"? - and the academy, of course, thereby underpinning a viable long-term future on two fronts; only then should anything left in the kitty go on first team players.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this on here or not but Lansdown could be in for a huge cash windfall. Apparently him and his partner may float thier buisness on the Stock Exchange. Earlier reports are that if they do they will both pocket £240 million. Hopefully he will have a few spare pounds to invest more into the team and it would make him something like 740th richest person in Britiain.

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this on here or not but Lansdown could be in for a huge cash windfall. Apparently him and his partner may float thier buisness on the Stock Exchange. Earlier reports are that if they do they will both pocket £240 million. Hopefully he will have a few spare pounds to invest more into the team and it would make him something like 740th richest person in Britiain.

Maybe an idea to draft a letter, send it to the other 739 people & copy Messr's Sexstone & Lansdown.

:clapping:

It would appear that Hargreaves and Lansdown are to float on the AIM and have put a min price of £600m on Hargreaves Lansdown.

This would value Lasdown's shares at £240m although both Hargreaves and Lansdown would likt to keep a controling stake, can we expect to see a investment made into City and should GJ start his shopping list!

Archived