IGNORED

...I'll see you in my dreams!

Redbarn

Over the last few days I have been wondering just why the sags love to sing...ugh...sticks in my throat, "Goodnight Irene"...cos it has ######k all to do with football, or did I really miss something here!

Still not really sure, but I think the theme of the song revolves around DREAMS, well thats all them sags will ever have, is'nt it? Hearing it so often of late, it has become utterly sickening to me and I expect ALL other City supporters will be feeling likewise.

I doubt if there are many sags out there who would know the true words or even why this is their "signature" chant, not to mention a history of the song and the original artists who performed it.

But then I think their dreams turned into Nightmares years & years ago, don't you?

Especially so when we enter The Championship next season!!!

I enclose a link for those who of us who may be curios.. :source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight,_Irene

Guest mesa boogie

It was made famous by Huddie 'Leadbelly' Leadbetter though has been around for donkeys as a folk song. We started singing it in the 50's while playing Plymuff. Plymuff were winning at half time and their supporters starting singing 'Goodnight Rovers' we ended up beating them and replied with Irene.

I am awfully sorry you lot don't have an anthem but hey.

Over the last few days I have been wondering just why the sags love to sing...ugh...sticks in my throat, "Goodnight Irene"...cos it has ######k all to do with football, or did I really miss something here!

Still not really sure, but I think the theme of the song revolves around DREAMS, well thats all them sags will ever have, is'nt it? Hearing it so often of late, it has become utterly sickening to me and I expect ALL other City supporters will be feeling likewise.

I doubt if there are many sags out there who would know the true words or even why this is their "signature" chant, not to mention a history of the song and the original artists who performed it.

But then I think their dreams turned into Nightmares years & years ago, don't you?

Especially so when we enter The Championship next season!!!

I enclose a link for those who of us who may be curios.. :source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight,_Irene

Really irritated me on Tuesday night before the match when all they could play on the tannoy was bloody Irene, each one followed by another version by a different "artist".

Was really starting to do my head in!!!

Guest mesa boogie
I knew this post would create a lot of interest? :city:

Haha, the fact is we sing it and I personally think it's great. It's certainly better than singing dozens of songs ripped off of other clubs.

Guest mesa boogie
Atleast when we sing it's about our team, theme songs that mean nothing are embarrasing, the only one i'll allow for is "You'll Never Walk Alone" a true classic.

What like Oh Basso? That sound like it's being sung by someone having a stroke.

Guest mesa boogie
But it's about one of our player's on the pitch.....not some old tart from the 1950's.

Hang on, you sing 'Drink Up Ye Cider'. Nothing to do with football really, you're not even allowed cider in the ground.

Poor arguement.

It was made famous by Huddie 'Leadbelly' Leadbetter though has been around for donkeys as a folk song. We started singing it in the 50's while playing Plymuff. Plymuff were winning at half time and their supporters starting singing 'Goodnight Rovers' we ended up beating them and replied with Irene.

But MB, you comment as if yer proud of the song........its a load of old rollocks mate, as many say, sweet fa to do with footy

'Anthem'??? don't make me laugh. It's a depressing sounding dirge.

Hang on, you sing 'Drink Up Ye Cider'. Nothing to do with football really, you're not even allowed cider in the ground.

Poor arguement.

Why? Because you have no answer?

"Goodnignt Irene" has as much in common with League football today as "Bristol Rovers".

Poor arguement.

'Drink up thee cider' reflects the Somerset base of a lot of City's support and also links to The Wurzels who are City fans. Also the song contains a line about us giving Rovers a pasting. It's similar in a way to 'Keep the red flag flying high' ("cider heads until we die"). Blackthorn are one of our sponsors.

Drink Up Thee Cider is based on something generic, first sung by "Eastenders" in the early 70's. Adge Cutler was of "local" descent, the song truly is a CELEBRATION based on this part of the World and it's inhabitants, it's FUN singing it, rather than the DIRGE sags sing!

So you see it has more to do with local history than some old tart called Irene. :farmer:

'Good night Irene' is no anthem. 'Blowing Bubbles' and 'Walk Alone' most definitely are, and sound brilliant when sung.

There is also great sentiment behind those two songs, the words actually mean something - 'fortune's always hiding, I've been looking everywhere' 'walk on, with hope, in your heart'.

Don't really care about the songs, mind.

All that matters is, who's the biggest and best club in Bristol?

All together now...

BCFC

Is this a 'Football Anthem'?

Irene goodnight, Irene goodnight

Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene

I'll see you in my dreams

Last saturday night I got married

Me and my love settled down

Now me and my love are parted

I'm going to take another stroll downtown

Sometimes I live in the country

Sometimes I live in the town

Sometimes I have a great notion

To jump In the river and drown

Irene goodnight, Irene good night

Good night Irene, good night Irene

Ramblin' stop your gamblin'

Stop stayin' out late at night

Go home to your wife and your family

Sit down by the fireside bright

You decide.

Mesa Boogie will be back later to explain everything to those of you still scratching your head. :)

Is this a 'Football Anthem'?

Last saturday night I got married

Me and my love settled down

Now me and my love are parted

I'm going to take another stroll downtown

Sometimes I live in the country

Sometimes I live in the town

Sometimes I have a great notion

To jump In the river and drown

Ramblin' stop your gamblin'

Stop stayin' out late at night

Go home to your wife and your family

Sit down by the fireside bright

You decide.

Absolute dross, i would be embarrased to sing that garbage, Rovers fan or not.

Haha, the fact is we sing it and I personally think it's great. It's certainly better than singing dozens of songs ripped off of other clubs.

I would say that 'One for the Bristol City' is unique to BC - by my reckoning that is a football related song and hardly something we've ripped off from another club.

At the end of the day you won't hear a single song chanted by City fans that has originated from a lovesick person, which to be quite frank I would be embarrased to be associated - even if I was raised by a bunch of inbred north Bristol gypsies.

Archived