IGNORED

...I'll see you in my dreams!

Redbarn

As opposed to 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' and 'You'll never walk alone'?

Sung by 2 PREMIERSHIP teams (which you lot will NEVER EVER SEE) At least we have been THERE -DONE IT-AND GOT THE TEE SHIRT.

A one off game against us and thats all you have to celebrate! So Sad. Now I know why we call you Sagheads your chin has been hanging down on your chest for 5 whole years . Ha Ha

There is only one team in Bristol who will bring this City success and it certainly is not YOUR LOT.

The story of how they got to sing it is -

sometime in the 50's they were playing Plymouth who were leading 2-1 & sung it to the sags, the sags came back winning the game 3-2 & hence sung it at Plymouth - they've used it ever since - so they basically copied it!

Guest mesa boogie
Mesa Boogie will be back to defend this 'Great Football Anthem'........I can sense him surfing the net for a response as we type.

Oh sweety aren't you cute. First you blamed the pitch, Phillips, Johnson, Johnson Jnr, Brooker, Not being in the East End, Monkey Murray's injury, a couple of gimps running on the pitch and now what we sing.

You lost.

As opposed to 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' and 'You'll never walk alone'?

Hardly in the same stratosphere is it?

"You'll never walk alone" - sung at Anfield by 50'000 Scowsers, scarves aloft, tears rolling down their cheeks.

"I'm Forever singing bubbles" - again, sung with passion at Upton Park by 35'000 Cockneys, tanked up on jellied eels.

"Goodnight Irene" - sung by some fat bloke on his sofa, listening to the match on Radio Bristol, lifts his arse to f@rt and then switches the radio off.

I rest. Cr@p fans, Cr@p song.

Guest mesa boogie
Hardly in the same stratosphere is it?

"You'll never walk alone" - sung at Anfield by 50'000 Scowsers, scarves aloft, tears rolling down their cheeks.

"I'm Forever singing bubbles" - again, sung with passion at Upton Park by 35'000 Cockneys, tanked up on jellied eels.

"Goodnight Irene" - sung by some fat bloke on his sofa, listening to the match on Radio Bristol, lifts his arse to f@rt and then switches the radio off.

I rest. Cr@p fans, Cr@p song.

Whats how many people sing it got to do about it?

Best supporters in the football league; Rochadale.

Absolute dross, i would be embarrased to sing that garbage, Rovers fan or not.

surley we can all see why this is the Rovers anthem. Last 2 line of the second verse.

SOMETIMES I HAVE A NOTION

TO JUMP IN THE RIVER AND DROWN.

As a Rovers supporter would feel with the superb lack of success by there Club.

surley we can all see why this is the Rovers anthem. Last 2 line of the second verse.

SOMETIMES I HAVE A NOTION

TO JUMP IN THE RIVER AND DROWN.

As a Rovers supporter would feel with the superb lack of success by there Club.

hi lads..first of all we never sing all those words,weve changed the words accordingly......WERE ROVERS SUPPORTERS...WERE FAITHFUL AND TRUE,WE ALLWAYS FOLLOW THE BOYS IN BLUE.....(and white) WE ALL MADE A PROMISE THAT, WE,LL NEVER PART SO GOODNIGHT IRENE I,LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS,IRENE GOODNIGHT IRENE IRENE GOODNIGHT GOODNIGHT IRENE GOODNIGHT IREN I,LL SEE IN IN MY DREAMS.........That is what we sing not all of the song ...weve turned it into our own anthem,and if you look at the words now they have become something to do with football !!! well in our eyes not yours..thanks lads

Oh sweety aren't you cute. First you blamed the pitch, Phillips, Johnson, Johnson Jnr, Brooker, Not being in the East End, Monkey Murray's injury, a couple of gimps running on the pitch and now what we sing.

You lost.

Excuse me gashead - since when has Scott Murray been known as "Monkey Murray"? I am hoping this isn't a racial slur. Please explain.....

hi lads..first of all we never sing all those words,weve changed the words accordingly......WERE ROVERS SUPPORTERS...WERE FAITHFUL AND TRUE,WE ALLWAYS FOLLOW THE BOYS IN BLUE.....(and white) WE ALL MADE A PROMISE THAT, WE,LL NEVER PART SO GOODNIGHT IRENE I,LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS,IRENE GOODNIGHT IRENE IRENE GOODNIGHT GOODNIGHT IRENE GOODNIGHT IREN I,LL SEE IN IN MY DREAMS.........That is what we sing not all of the song ...weve turned it into our own anthem,and if you look at the words now they have become something to do with football !!! well in our eyes not yours..thanks lads

You should still sing the original:

"Sometimes I have a great notion

To jump In the river and drown"

It's far more appropriate for you lot!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hang on, you sing 'Drink Up Ye Cider'. Nothing to do with football really, you're not even allowed cider in the ground.

Poor arguement.

I'm very unsure here but I seem to recall One For The Bristol City having something to do with football. Try listening to it.

You lost.

And your lot will now probably start a fanzine called the 27th Feb, Come Saturday we will have moved on, you will be celebrating for years to come and the only 2 things you can dream about is this win and some silly old tart.

I would like to say until next time, but the Gulf between us is getting bigger........... :whistle2:

And your lot will now probably start a fanzine called the 27th Feb, Come Saturday we will have moved on, you will be celebrating for years to come and the only 2 things you can dream about is this win and some silly old tart.

I would like to say until next time, but the Gulf between us is getting bigger........... :whistle2:

Nice one MattyAli.

You lost.

Remind me not to bend over if ever we meet :shocking:

If you're not a 'shirt-lifter', your boyfriend must be :disapointed2se:

The singing of 'Irene' is brilliant because it is unique to our club now and has been for 50 years.

It is part of our tradition spanning that period of time.

The Red Red Robin was good for you too, but you seemed to have had some identity crisis a few years back when you got rid of the Robin on the shirts and the song seemed to disappear at the same time. Since then you have played around with a few songs like 'Drink up thee Zider' which is not bad and 'One for the BC', but neither have seemed to have stuck strongly enough. Coventry's 'Skye Boat Song' is another song which has a strong identity with the club.

I think Scott Davidsons idea of giving your club a 'Bristol' identity failed miserably and has removed the uniqueness that you once had.

The singing of 'Irene' is brilliant because it is unique to our club now and has been for 50 years.

It is part of our tradition spanning that period of time.

The Red Red Robin was good for you too, but you seemed to have had some identity crisis a few years back when you got rid of the Robin on the shirts and the song seemed to disappear at the same time. Since then you have played around with a few songs like 'Drink up thee Zider' which is not bad and 'One for the BC', but neither have seemed to have stuck strongly enough. Coventry's 'Skye Boat Song' is another song which has a strong identity with the club.

I think Scott Davidsons idea of giving your club a 'Bristol' identity failed miserably and has removed the uniqueness that you once had.

Don't patronise us Al. We've got The Wurzels and you haven't. That's good enough for me.

Over the last few days I have been wondering just why the sags love to sing...ugh...sticks in my throat, "Goodnight Irene"...cos it has ######k all to do with football, or did I really miss something here!

Still not really sure, but I think the theme of the song revolves around DREAMS, well thats all them sags will ever have, is'nt it? Hearing it so often of late, it has become utterly sickening to me and I expect ALL other City supporters will be feeling likewise.

I doubt if there are many sags out there who would know the true words or even why this is their "signature" chant, not to mention a history of the song and the original artists who performed it.

But then I think their dreams turned into Nightmares years & years ago, don't you?

Especially so when we enter The Championship next season!!!

I enclose a link for those who of us who may be curios.. :source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight,_Irene

At least they have a song where everyone sings ..all we have is cmon you reds???our passion is gone and silence apears.

Guest mesa boogie
not a racist comment but be honest he does ?

No, I was wrong. A well know racist slur of Scots is to call them a monkey.

:doh:

Archived