IGNORED

The Supporters Club

BB.

Nicely put TC.

Wonder why the club didnt think of putting a skittle alley, darts board, cribbage tables, perhaps a poker night or two, to utalise the place a bit more?

Staffing, or just couldnt be assed?

I wondered about that too Arn......

I used to play Skittles there up until the change and always used to look forward to it....as well as having a natter with Bob about football or Speedway etc.

If I remember rightly.....it was only Bob on duty as regards to staff. Only when we had Skittles meetings were extra bar staff brought in.

Nicely put TC.

Wonder why the club didnt think of putting a skittle alley, darts board, cribbage tables, perhaps a poker night or two, to utalise the place a bit more?

Staffing, or just couldnt be assed?

Tried to get a skittle alley installed but it wasn't cost effective.The FC wanted the SC to fund its installation and that was prohibative.Particulary as all the bar profts go to Lindleys.

With regard to darts boards and cribbage tables.You wouldn't beleive how difficult is was to simply get memorabelia on the walls.One of the clubs senior executives - and before anyone points the finger at Colin Sexstone,it wasn't him - was very resistive to much going on the walls on the grounds that he didn't want the clubroom to look 'too much like a football club'.It was pointed out that the clubroom and DEH are used for other events on non matchdays and having a place looking 'too footballly' might deter potetial custom.Don't ask me to explain......... :dunno:

So you see Arny many of the things you suggest had been considered but for one reason or another were not possible.Its not a question of us not being 'assed'

A poker night is on the agenda for next season as is a really tough sports quiz night - not for the fainthearted - but like the POY awards everything depends on the support of the fans.

Sorry but i cant believe some of the things being said about the supporters club whether its a drinking club,strip club,stand on your hands and fart club let the people who drink in there and do there various raffles etc etc and meet friends or do what ever they want to do let them bloody do it,BB, if its not for you go and do your own thing,perhaps your thing is awaiting away fans on ashton road and having a dig at them or having a burger at kfc thats up to you we all do different things so let people get on and have there own pre match ritual,also the people hammering chairman must admit hes not my cup of tea but i respect any one who gives up his time to help/hinder or whatever on a saturday ive done that sort of thing before and i tell you its damn hard work, ( must admit though mr chairman watching the sags was a big mistake) Also on another point to who ever mentioned it me and my supporters club collegues are certainly no prawn sandwich brigade i can assure you of that my friend feel free to come and see us you may well be suprised pal

Theres nothing 'cagey' about the SC remit.Its always been the same over 60 odd years.Namely to raise funds for the FC and to provide a clubroom where like minded supporters could enjoy a pint or two.In some ways the SC is a drinking but thats what the vast majority of the 4000 members want - somewhere within AG where they can meet up with mates on a matchday for a drink.

If you look at the history of the SC you see that it was responible for raising money for the Williams Stand,starting the club shop and the away travel.The later two (when they proved to be lucretive) were taken over by the FC.The SC also had its own bar untill 11 years ago when Davidson took away the profits as part of the Lindley's franchise.The SC bar at the time was far and away the most profitable within AG and therefore greatly coveted.Since then the SC capacity to donate funds to the FC has been greatly diminished.That changed of course with expansion enabled by the club allowing the SC to access the DEH on matchdays.Our membership increased 10 fold over the summer months.Its not easy to adapt to having such a huge increase.We will be better next season having had a years expereince.

Of the £20k in income.£3000 immediately went to the Football in the Community.August last year if I remember correctly.

We also employ a secretary 12 hours a week and therefore her salary has to be covered.The SC also has a 'float' on which it relies should there be any unexpected expendeture.We also make a contribution to the doorstaff on matchdays.We have also paid for our own security screen within our office which cost almost a grand.We have spent money on memorabelia.The pictures of Scot Murray and John Atyeo were especially produced and totaled approx £500 for the two.The SC sponsors three City shirts at £1200 per annum.£5000 was donated to the FC at the POY awards.It would have been a greater sum if that event had been better supported by the fans - as it was the SC lost money on the event.We also have our accounts privately audited every year which obviously costs as well.

So you can see that £20000 doesn't go that far.

BTW - all of the officiers and committee members are totally unpaid and give their time freely.

This explains a lot of things RR. I had no idea that I was in the SC until it was mentioned on here about Bronze cards.

I think you have done a good job in the DEH with all the pictures etc..., and I thought all that was down to the club.

It would be easier if you could somehow promote/explain these things publicly, would save a lot of confusion and ambiguity.

On another issue, who was eligible to vote in the Player of year awards?

• Admin
Theres nothing 'cagey' about the SC remit.Its always been the same over 60 odd years.Namely to raise funds for the FC and to provide a clubroom where like minded supporters could enjoy a pint or two.In some ways the SC is a drinking but thats what the vast majority of the 4000 members want - somewhere within AG where they can meet up with mates on a matchday for a drink.

If you look at the history of the SC you see that it was responible for raising money for the Williams Stand,starting the club shop and the away travel.The later two (when they proved to be lucretive) were taken over by the FC.The SC also had its own bar untill 11 years ago when Davidson took away the profits as part of the Lindley's franchise.The SC bar at the time was far and away the most profitable within AG and therefore greatly coveted.Since then the SC capacity to donate funds to the FC has been greatly diminished.That changed of course with expansion enabled by the club allowing the SC to access the DEH on matchdays.Our membership increased 10 fold over the summer months.Its not easy to adapt to having such a huge increase.We will be better next season having had a years expereince.

Of the £20k in income.£3000 immediately went to the Football in the Community.August last year if I remember correctly.

We also employ a secretary 12 hours a week and therefore her salary has to be covered.The SC also has a 'float' on which it relies should there be any unexpected expendeture.We also make a contribution to the doorstaff on matchdays.We have also paid for our own security screen within our office which cost almost a grand.We have spent money on memorabelia.The pictures of Scot Murray and John Atyeo were especially produced and totaled approx £500 for the two.The SC sponsors three City shirts at £1200 per annum.£5000 was donated to the FC at the POY awards.It would have been a greater sum if that event had been better supported by the fans - as it was the SC lost money on the event.We also have our accounts privately audited every year which obviously costs as well.

BTW - all of the officiers and committee members are totally unpaid and give their time freely.

The other thing is I'm still waiting for Robins to answer what 'technically means in this context -'Well technically they did jointly host the players awards this year.'

There appears to be a lot of "one-off" expenditures in amongst that lot so I'm guessing I would be correct to assume that with the same level of membership this year your donation to BCFC would be larger regardless of any further activities being laid on?

Also I would imagine the shirt sponsorship scheme has little running costs for the club so that really should be included in the "donations" column. The £3000 to the Community department should be knocked off the income section too.

The transition from being an organisation with 200/300 members to c.4000 members is sure to be a difficult one (even the trust now is having difficulties with processing their new members now their membership is growing if the number of posts on here regarding that subject is to be believed).

I trust that with a year's experience under their belt of running an organisation with that number of members the SC committee will be better placed to fund raise in the forthcoming season whether that be in extra-curricular events or taking advantage of the attendance of their members on matchdays to raise money through extra raffles & competitions etc

One such way to take advantage could be to source some kind of coin bins by the DEH bar or exits so that supporters could dump their "shrapnel" in knowing it was going to go to a BCFC fund raising pot. I, for one, hate having loads of small coins on me & I imagine Bristol City to be an issue close to the hearts of many attendees of the DEH on matchdays.

• Admin
Tried to get a skittle alley installed but it wasn't cost effective.The FC wanted the SC to fund its installation and that was prohibative.Particulary as all the bar profts go to Lindleys.

With regard to darts boards and cribbage tables.You wouldn't beleive how difficult is was to simply get memorabelia on the walls.One of the clubs senior executives - and before anyone points the finger at Colin Sexstone,it wasn't him - was very resistive to much going on the walls on the grounds that he didn't want the clubroom to look 'too much like a football club'.It was pointed out that the clubroom and DEH are used for other events on non matchdays and having a place looking 'too footballly' might deter potetial custom.Don't ask me to explain......... :dunno:

So you see Arny many of the things you suggest had been considered but for one reason or another were not possible.Its not a question of us not being 'assed'

A poker night is on the agenda for next season as is a really tough sports quiz night - not for the fainthearted - but like the POY awards everything depends on the support of the fans.

I still think your best way of raising money from City fans is when your target audience is already on your doorstep.

City fans are typically lethargic and don't like coming to Ashton Gate if there isn't a match on.

To this end you will be best served thinking of ways to involve those Bronze members in the DEH before a match starts.

That said, the FC still hasn't quite grasped this concept considering how often the Club Shop would be closed after a match when 12k of their customer base were on their doorstep last season.

Having been to a function there, a few City related pictures would considerably help matters.

It is ok as a function room, but nothing special at all.

The other thing is I'm still waiting for Robins to answer what 'technically means in this context -'Well technically they did jointly host the players awards this year.'

Robbored, as no-one has answered my question about the SC I'll ask it again.

Those people who paid up to become Bronze members, are THEY members of the SC?

Didn't the club already have a skittle alley?

:city: the skittle alley was in the old supporters club in the williams stand which has now been turned in to hospitality.all bronze card holders are members of the supporters club :city:

Cheers mate.

I had a feeling it was a different place being mentioned so that's why I asked.

I wondered about that too Arn......

I used to play Skittles there up until the change and always used to look forward to it....as well as having a natter with Bob about football or Speedway etc.

If I remember rightly.....it was only Bob on duty as regards to staff. Only when we had Skittles meetings were extra bar staff brought in.

So RLL does that mean Bob only works on match days?

If so he got a "proper" summer holiday.......bet he,d rather be busy though?

To be honest Alan, i can imagine how difficult it is for you and the board to try and sort ANYTHING.

I didnt mean to be rude with the word "assed", it was pointed at the football club itself, rather than the supporters club.

We suggested loads when we had a bit of input into the old boot room, and always got knocked back.

I wish you well!.Arn

So RLL does that mean Bob only works on match days?

If so he got a "proper" summer holiday.......bet he,d rather be busy though?

No - Bob is employed now by Lindelys and runs various bars around AG.He can usually be found in the DEH.He's the bar manager for whenever there is an event on anywhere in the stadium.

Thank you for your in depth reply Robbored.

Theres nothing 'cagey' about the SC remit.Its always been the same over 60 odd years.Namely to raise funds for the FC and to provide a clubroom where like minded supporters could enjoy a pint or two.

Perhaps if you could state this on the website - at the moment it is claiming that the Supporters Club put events on. What do you mean by 'like minded supporters'? Do members need to be 'like minded'? Also, didn't the Football Club provide the Clubroom?

In some ways the SC is a drinking but thats what the vast majority of the 4000 members want - somewhere within AG where they can meet up with mates on a matchday for a drink.

You very nearly said it then Robbored.

Its not easy to adapt to having such a huge increase.We will be better next season having had a years expereince.

I appreciate your honesty.

Of the £20k in income.£3000 immediately went to the Football in the Community.August last year if I remember correctly.We also employ a secretary 12 hours a week and therefore her salary has to be covered.The SC also has a 'float' on which it relies should there be any unexpected expendeture.We also make a contribution to the doorstaff on matchdays.We have also paid for our own security screen within our office which cost almost a grand.We have spent money on memorabelia.The pictures of Scot Murray and John Atyeo were especially produced and totaled approx £500 for the two.The SC sponsors three City shirts at £1200 per annum.£5000 was donated to the FC at the POY awards.It would have been a greater sum if that event had been better supported by the fans - as it was the SC lost money on the event.We also have our accounts privately audited every year which obviously costs as well.

I can see how that could add up to £20,000. Respect for the Football in the Community donation by the way. I make it about £9-£10,000 in total for donations/sponsorships to different organisations as far as I know now.

An outsider could argue that a fund raising organisation should raise that figure and so it would go further. Also, I'd hazard a guess that the Supporters Club has had more than £20,000 income throughout the year?

When the FC decided to convert the Atyeo Suite into the Premier Lounge,the SC was offered use of the DEH & the lounge.It is now available to ALL supporters,not just season ticket holders.

The £5 membership fee was set by the FC,not the SC.

Strictly speaking only Supporters Club members have access, which is only about 1/3 of the average gate last season.

No - Bob is employed now by Lindelys and runs various bars around AG.He can usually be found in the DEH.He's the bar manager for whenever there is an event on anywhere in the stadium.

Thanks for that, as he is a very very likable fellow, always polite and always says hello.

I'm pleased he,s employed properly.

Thank you for your in depth reply Robbored.

Perhaps if you could state this on the website - at the moment it is claiming that the Supporters Club put events on. What do you mean by 'like minded supporters'? Do members need to be 'like minded'? Also, didn't the Football Club provide the Clubroom?

'Likeminded supporters' - those City fans who wish have somewhere within a AG where they can meet on a matchday.Yes, the club did and the SC paid them a peppercorn rent

You very nearly said it then Robbored.

I don't see whats wrong with having a place where supporters can go on a matchday and have a pint or two with their mates,Obviuosly its what the fans want - as 4000 fans indicate.

I appreciate your honesty.

Thankyou

I can see how that could add up to £20,000. Respect for the Football in the Community donation by the way. I make it about £9-£10,000 in total for donations/sponsorships to different organisations as far as I know now.

An outsider could argue that a fund raising organisation should raise that figure and so it would go further. Also, I'd hazard a guess that the Supporters Club has had more than £20,000 income throughout the year?

Not much more.Virtually all of our income comes from fees

Strictly speaking only Supporters Club members have access, which is only about 1/3 of the average gate last season.

It was previously only eclusive to ST holders - now any fan can join even if they only attend a few games a season.I think around a third of the average gate is pretty good.The other two thirds could if they chose to join as well.

Theres nothing 'cagey' about the SC remit.

We also employ a secretary 12 hours a week and therefore her salary has to be covered.

Three things. How can you justify 12 hours per week as a paid employee? From the information you have given, there is one invoice to be paid on a fortnightly basis (security). You have no contact with your membership and all the bronze cards were sent by the club. Please expand.

The second is information. Robins72 is a wind up merchant who doesn't deserve a reply. At the Supporters Trust AGM, she asked if WE could ensure membership packs reached new members in a more timely manner. ASk her to help and WE becomes YOU. This was asked after the membership secretary had resigned from the Society Board, due to lack of time.

Just goes to show where she's coming from.

Finally, in the interests of unity and bringing together two groups with common goals, most of the Supporters Trust Society Board joined the Supporters Club (albeit at bronze level) yet to my knowledge you are the only member of the SC committe to join the Trust, Robbored. Is it not prudent for both groups to inter-promote for mutual benefit and benefit of their respective memberships?

These points are not intended to be any form of attack on the SC, but should allow you the opportunity to enhance the image of the SC.

T

Finally, in the interests of unity and bringing together two groups with common goals, most of the Supporters Trust Society Board joined the Supporters Club (albeit at bronze level) yet to my knowledge you are the only member of the SC committe to join the Trust, Robbored. Is it not prudent for both groups to inter-promote for mutual benefit and benefit of their respective memberships?

Why didn't the ST members join the SC and achieve its aims through that?

Archived