IGNORED

Might Be Rubbish...possible Takeover

ciderup

With the level of investment in the team that Lansdown provides I think you are in dream land if you think we will be capable of staying in Championship for years.So to dismiss potential investors oput of hand I think is totally wrong.Without ambition we will go backwards not even stand still.

It is well known that if GJ wants a player, SL will fund it within reason. I don't know how much we payed for Sproule but I'm guessing he wasn't cheap. And although SL couldn't improve the club and its facilities on the scale of a big investor, he has committed to improve infrastructure at the Gate as it is being improved all the time.

As far as signings go, I honestly don't think we would miss out on much without the investors because of Steve's sentiments. Also, it is clear that GJ doesn't want to sign big players with big wages so the manager and these investors would almost definitely disagree from the off!

GJ, players, chairman, fans have great ambition already so how can you say we are without it?

Disagree. City need big money to succeed IMO. People would be blind to see that money (especially in this division) will give you a great deal of a chance for promotion on the short term, but I guess this can depend on the supporters general demand. In the Prem, we would most definately require big money to survive and do well.

If people want Premiership football, then this is the easy way. Myself, I don't mind too much if we stick about in the Championship for a good few years, far better than L1 and less risky than the Prem. Unless these people actually invest!

It will be very pricey if we reached the Prem too!!

What do you mean? Your post is very vague, you say City need big money to succeed? Succeed at what, winning the Champions league or getting to the Premiership through the play offs or alike?

Of course if we want to compete with Man Utd and Chelsea, of course we need a considerable amount of money. But to go up to the Premiership via the play offs or even automatically, I firmly believe that with this current set up it is possible.

I don't want anyone who thinks it's acceptable to conduct their business through the Sunday Mirror anywhere near running our club.

I don't want owners throwing money at the club such that it cannot cover it's own bills. Has noone paid attention to the shit that Leeds and Cardiff are in after doing that?

excellent point, investment without a return becomes dead money or worse a debt that needs to be cleared.

if this is true

the £30 million is not a freebie.

I'd much prefer sustainable growth.

GJ, players, chairman, fans have great ambition already so how can you say we are without it?

What do you mean? Your post is very vague, you say City need big money to succeed? Succeed at what, winning the Champions league or getting to the Premiership through the play offs or alike?

Of course if we want to compete with Man Utd and Chelsea, of course we need a considerable amount of money. But to go up to the Premiership via the play offs or even automatically, I firmly believe that with this current set up it is possible.

Dave, I mean succeed as in reach promotion, then from there on it would seem we are financially healthy to survive the Premiership.

I don't think our squad (on paper) is able to match the likes of West Brom and Charlton quite yet. Our squad still requires at least 2 or 3 more quality players to even look at getting anything more than a mid-table finish IMO!

excellent point, investment without a return becomes dead money or worse a debt that needs to be cleared.

if this is true

the £30 million is not a freebie.

I'd much prefer sustainable growth.

Ditto. I'll stick with Steve. He's cleared the debt and doesn't take any money out of the club for himself.

All the people who moaned about the season ticket price increases this year will get a very nasty shock if these foreign investors take the reins.

Edit - I've doen a quick poll on this (in the polls section!)

So how do you think the conversation went?

Hutchy: Hey you guys how do you like the thrill of English footy

Serbs: Good

Hutchy: I know it's good but what you think of owning a footy club yourselves

Serbs : Good

Hutchy: Want me to look for a club for ya?

Serbs: Sure

Hutchy goes off and (didnt he do this with us a few years ago - come to SL qwith a big plan but no money?) low and behold finds City.

So he goes to press with the bleeding obvious :

City are a championship club,

Serbs want a controlling interest,

(knowing SL has said minimum £30m), They have £30 - £40m to invest,

the club owns their own ground (if it goes tits up you can always sell it later), 3-5 year plan to get into premiership

Before you start saying it's the best thing for City:

1. Ask yourself this - would you want SL to retain ownership of AG - I would

2. Will the Serbs buy "just" the controlling interest in the football i.e. no ground for a figure of £30m - hell it still makes business sense to do this if you're aiming to get established in the premiership (£45m tv revenue alone) - I doubt it.

Sorry but this could be a no no before it even starts:

SL says you can buy City but not AG - still want to go ahead?

Oh you do well how about a clause stating I can buy back the controlling interest at a fixed fee if the club gets relegated to Div 1?

Those two first to issues would need to be confirmed before any talks take place and if they fail then Mr Hutcy can go earn himself his commission by finding a club who doesnt want those conditions slapped on them.

This is a real WTF moment for me, i like the idea of money for players and investment in the club, but NOT at the loss of SL, no way jose! :disapointed2se:

Guess we best see what this deal is before we jump to any wrong conclusions, but i will need a lot convincing. meeeh, like i have a say!

ROFLMFAO!!!! :rofl2br:

Seriously though, I don't like the idea of our club being used as a toy, it means too much to too many people and we can include SL in that too.

I don't want anyone who thinks it's acceptable to conduct their business through the Sunday Mirror anywhere near running our club.

I don't want owners throwing money at the club such that it cannot cover it's own bills. Has noone paid attention to the shit that Leeds and Cardiff are in after doing that?

I suspect nothing will come of this anyway because I think SL will be of the same mind and if this joker was serious he wouldn't be going about business the same way as that lackwit Jon Maguire did.

Lets' be honest the country has been run through the media the past ten years, as Gordon Brown confirmed when he said that all future annoncements would revert to the House of Commons rather than being spun to the media first.

With regard to football, most high level business is conducted through the papers, I agree with you it is not right but it is the way of the footballing world at the top level these days. Manderic's take over of Leciester was in the public domain long before he signed on the dotted line.

I fully understand where the caution and sceptisim is coming from, at the end of it all we want the best for our football club that many have supported all their lives. For the record I believe Steve Landsdown and Co. in main have done a remarkable job in revitalisig the club and I am happy for them to continue. But if this does materilises and it must have some substance then we as fans would be foolish to dismiss it out of hand with out understanding more.

The reality of the situation is that is the current shareholders believe it to be in the their and the clubs best interest then it will happen, as for all their good work I don't think the ST has the capital to compete and offer a counter proposal. I'm sure that the majority of City fans would like to compete in the top flight. I have vague memories as a 5,6 & 7 year old of going to the gate for top flight football and like the big games of today you cannot beat the atmosphere of a packed Ashton Gate and surely any chance that that could happen again must be taken very seriously.

• Admin
"My colleagues have £30m to £40m to invest as a controlling interest and have asked me to find a club and do the legwork and due diligence. They would not want a minority shareholding.

"We need to sit down with a business plan and know if Bristol City wants £20m or £50m for a controlling interest. We wouldn't get round to talking turkey until the season starts. The club's got so much potential. City have a big stadium which they fill and they do not lease Ashton Gate from the council or anyone else - they own it completely, and that's attractive from the start.

"Bristol has a big catchment area and City are the principal club. It's a good-sized club and should offer value for money. Now we need to see figures."

If the offer and reasons for it are genuine, it obviously needs careful consideration, I'm just a bit puzzled as why owning our own ground is so attractive, if we had a long lease on a council owned ground, that would make an investment safe.

My concern is that they see the ground as a safety net, if it all goes pear shaped, then I guess that Ashton Gate would be premium land for a developer. I wouldn't fancy being dumped by some speculators after a few years, who have sold the ground and see us going cap in hand to another club for a groundshare.

i love this viewpoint that lansdown is a life long fan. He likes horses more than football.

Not sure about the Horses, I know his business partner Peter Hargreaves owns race horses.

And no Steve Landsdown isn't a life long fan, by his own admission, but in fairness both Landsdown and Dawe have taken City through the "Wilderness Years" very well and at considerable perosnal expense.

I don't think this should desend to a put up or shut up attack on the present board but more an open discusion about what is in the best interest of the club and which is more likely to take the club a far forward as possiable.

My concern is that they see the ground as a safety net, if it all goes pear shaped, then I guess that Ashton Gate would be premium land for a developer. I wouldn't fancy being dumped by some speculators after a few yearts, who have sold the ground and see us going cap in hand to another club for a groundshare.

I never thought of this what if this was to happen we may have to go share with sags in there new dump hole

first and foremost the club will be worth as much as someone is willing to pay, a figure can be set by the available accounts but if the right people feel that BCFC is a viable concern and the club can be moved forward very quickly then the price will be set accordingly.

as far as lansdowne is concerned money may not be the driver in his decision, he may feel that he has taken the club as far as he can and it is time to pass it on to somebone with have greater ambitions.

I have said for a long time that if this part of the country had a team in the premiership the possibilities could be massive in terms of support and revenue.

yours midland red.

I look at a pound for what it is, a pound and how can I best use it. Where It comes from is not my concern. It is a global economy, and there a growing number of forum users making a living overseas, myself included.

Any profit though comes home to my Barclays account in the Isle Of Man.......thats a tax free haven. Merely good business.

Lets now look at SL and consider his most recent BCFC interview. He may have given us a hint when he said City needs to stand on its own two feet financially, and the last year should show a good return financially. We sold Cotterill for 2 million, spent little, and had some great crowds towards the end of the year.

SL then mentioned he may get out of his tenure in a year or five years, hard to tell.

So he has some aces to sell. A promoted club in the Championship, a club which could be close to breaking even last season, plus the large catchment area.

Oil investers are another breed, their idea of owning a football club would be like the average fan getting a new car for bragging rights in the street. The car depreciates and loses money, a football club can give you bragging rights and lose money. Small thinkers will never get this, because they never have millions or billions they can never spend in a life time. The oil keeps pumping, and they try and spend what they can. A private yacht, jet, cars, mansions, then what ? Still the money keeps rolling in, so lets buy a football club, a nice hobby, an interest, bragging rights amongst the other oil magnates

I have no problem with a take over, proper management and a sensible 5 year plan. Do we want a growth pattern, as we have been very stagnent in recent years, going nowhere and getting further into debt . This opportunity with us finally obtaining Championship status, may well be our chance at bringing top class football to the west country.

Quick edit as SL denies any contact, so it appears its over to Mr Hutchinson.

There is no smoke without fire,for the big boys to have put this in there sunday papers there is something going on.

The brilliant thing about the exposure is BRISTOL CITY FC will be highlighted to many many potential investors who will want to look or become interested in this sleeping giant YES sleeping giant in the west country the potential is MASSIVE.

IF SL does not want to take us forward 1 signing since promotion and a strikeforce that is as potent as the local sunday teams not anywhere near good enough for the championship then the thought of a takeover by someone or some people has to be great news.

Of course we would all love the present chairman to take our club onwards and upwards,however if he feels he does not want to invest some of his huge weatlh then if there are real possibilites else where then it must be explored for the benifit of BRISTOL CITY FC.

The thing you have to bear in mind is that these "investors" rarely actually invest.

What they in fact do, is use their personal status to facilitate massive borrowing by the club that gets pissed away on transfer fees and exhorbitant wages sending it far, far into the red. That's all very well if it pays off, but if it doesn't and the "investor" wants to walk away the club is saddled with huge debt and huge running costs with a piddly income that doesn't match. It's the road to ruin.

What we need is sensible investment, that means investment that allows us to increase our revenue. Investment in the stadium and infrastructure so that the club generates enough money to sustain a bigger wage bill and transfer spending ON IT'S OWN - not on an overdraft. It's called sustainable growth. With the East End redevelopment and subsequent plans for the Williams I believe that is what SL is trying to do.

An investor with some brains, like Madjeski, can be great for a club. Reading haven't spent huge on wages or transfer fees, they've done it sensibly and spent on the stadium so that the bigger wage bills were sustainable. They've been run very astutely both commercially and on the football front. If we had a proposed investor like that, someone who actually cares about the club rather than wants a toy to play with, I'd be very, very happy. In fact I think that is what SteveL is doing in a much smaller fashion with bigger obstacles (like out useless council) less success and less risk.

Eastern european oil tycoons who work through agents based in Monaco and the Daily Mirror really do not sound like the sort of investors I would trust. They sound more like the crazy mentallists currently destroying Hearts. No thanks.

Pointless starting another thread.

There was plenty of smoke and mirrors but no fire the last time we had some takeover headlines.

I can't understand how anyone can read a tabloid article and conclude that unnamed mystery investors would be a good thing particularly when that usually means they just run up massive debts and **** off.

who would you prefer to have in charge of the club? A foreign businessman or a life long fan?

That's a very broad question and, frankly, meaningless.A dislike of foreigners simply on the basis that they are foreigners, worries me.I've written a piece for the ST so I won't go into more detail here.

Ask the Leeds fans if they'd like Superfan Risdale back!

Ask Chelsea if they'd swap Ken Bates for Anbramovich.

It's also fair to say that SL isn't a lifelong City fan and has never claimed to be so.

The inherent thing that a Chairman/Owner brings is investment and business acumen.As Headhunter says, very few clubs stand on their own two feet and the level of investment has seen new grounds and progress at Reading & Bolton while we've been in the backwaters.

Wouldn't it be great if SL said, we don't need them because that isn't enough money or as much as we're going to invest in any event-That would put a stop to any rumour.

Although, on the basis that they haven't even spoken yet, this story is still in its infancy.

There is no smoke without fire,for the big boys to have put this in there sunday papers there is something going on.

The brilliant thing about the exposure is BRISTOL CITY FC will be highlighted to many many potential investors who will want to look or become interested in this sleeping giant YES sleeping giant in the west country the potential is MASSIVE.

IF SL does not want to take us forward 1 signing since promotion and a strikeforce that is as potent as the local sunday teams not anywhere near good enough for the championship then the thought of a takeover by someone or some people has to be great news.

Of course we would all love the present chairman to take our club onwards and upwards,however if he feels he does not want to invest some of his huge weatlh then if there are real possibilites else where then it must be explored for the benifit of BRISTOL CITY FC.

Sounds like there is a lot of smoke going by the official site, Lansdown hasnt met or spoke to this guy and has never heard of him, hardly a great start to opening a business venture by going to the papers first is it.

The dream ticket for me would be to see the potential investors come onto the board but not take total control IMO. Whilst SL has his faults, maily for being over cautious, at least we know the club is in safe hands with him. If he could secure some extra investment whilst keeping the stability at the club then that would be great.

Official site seems to have poured scorn over the rumours for now though...

The inherent thing that a Chairman/Owner brings is investment and business acumen.

No, that's what they need to bring. Not what they do bring. Some work out, some don't. Would you say Hearts' owner has sound business acument and has brought investment rather than massive debt?

As Headhunter says, very few clubs stand on their own two feet and the level of investment has seen new grounds and progress at Reading & Bolton while we've been in the backwaters.

Two clubs that DO stand on their own two feet due to investing sensibly in new grounds. I'm sure SteveL would love to do that but unfortunately we are blessed with a local goverment that are less useful than an inflatable darts board.

Wouldn't it be great if SL said, we don't need them because that isn't enough money or as much as we're going to invest in any event-That would put a stop to any rumour.

Although, on the basis that they haven't even spoken yet, this story is still in its infancy.

I think what he's said on the matter is eminently sensible and probably the only thing he can reasonably say.

This is maybe an appropriate time for many of us to stop and think why we support City.

There are some who think that the potential investment and getting to the promised land is all that matters. I am not of that opinion and here's why.

I love the fact that I park at the same place every other Saturday and walk to Ashton Gate.

I love the walk past the Coopers and Rising Sun.

I love Ashton Gate and think it is simply wonderful in the middle of a proper residential area.

As a City fan I know disappointment like an umbrella in April. But I also know the very occasional victory or success, not least the recent promotion. And how wonderful and very much appreciated are those successes.

I like Steve Lansdown and think he is a bloke who I could share a pint with and discuss our problems on the left wing.

I love it that Steve screams with delight after we score when he is co-commentating on Radio Bristol.

I love the West Country burr of the "Drink up ze Cider" songs on the London underground.

I love it that I see the same people at the home and away games.

And how would this change if we took the Czech pieces of silver?

I suspect they would like to move us from Ashton Gate. If we have success it will be because we've purchased it. The City community will become infested with part-time glory seeking fans. I already know that I don't like a Czech oil baron who has a Chelsea Season Ticket.

I want success like us all. And if we get another promotion through hard work, dedication and team spirit I will weekly go round Steve Lansdown's house and clean the underside of his car with my own toothbrush.

If we sell out to these Czechs I will rescind my (first ever) Season Ticket and cease to support McCider City or Bristol Barracudas or whatever branding they decide to give us.

This is maybe an appropriate time for many of us to stop and think why we support City.

There are some who think that the potential investment and getting to the promised land is all that matters. I am not of that opinion and here's why.

I love the fact that I park at the same place every other Saturday and walk to Ashton Gate.

I love the walk past the Coopers and Rising Sun.

I love Ashton Gate and think it is simply wonderful in the middle of a proper residential area.

As a City fan I know disappointment like an umbrella in April. But I also know the very occasional victory or success, not least the recent promotion. And how wonderful and very much appreciated are those successes.

I like Steve Lansdown and think he is a bloke who I could share a pint with and discuss our problems on the left wing.

I love it that Steve screams with delight after we score when he is co-commentating on Radio Bristol.

I love the West Country burr of the "Drink up ze Cider" songs on the London underground.

I love it that I see the same people at the home and away games.

And how would this change if we took the Czech pieces of silver?

I suspect they would like to move us from Ashton Gate. If we have success it will be because we've purchased it. The City community will become infested with part-time glory seeking fans. I already know that I don't like a Czech oil baron who has a Chelsea Season Ticket.

I want success like us all. And if we get another promotion through hard work, dedication and team spirit I will weekly go round Steve Lansdown's house and clean the underside of his car with my own toothbrush.

If we sell out to these Czechs I will rescind my (first ever) Season Ticket and cease to support McCider City or Bristol Barracudas or whatever branding they decide to give us.

You old romantic you.

The only reason for going to the press is that they wan't us to back them in forcing Steve Lansdown to the negotiation table. That will never happen. They made an approach in February and was obviously turned down. Now they try this. Thank god for Steve Lansdown!

I would have thought as a Foreigner you wouldn't be as zealous about rejecting an offer from afar?

first and foremost the club will be worth as much as someone is willing to pay, a figure can be set by the available accounts but if the right people feel that BCFC is a viable concern and the club can be moved forward very quickly then the price will be set accordingly.

True in one way except that SL doesn't need to sell at all so the decision on price will be made by him.It's his view of what he wants and what his shareholding and that of Dawe that will decide the price.Neither man needs to sell.

as far as lansdowne is concerned money may not be the driver in his decision, he may feel that he has taken the club as far as he can and it is time to pass it on to somebone with have greater ambitions.

I think that would have been the case had we not been promoted.

I have said for a long time that if this part of the country had a team in the premiership the possibilities could be massive in terms of support and revenue.

We did before and you're right about the "could be."

The thing you have to bear in mind is that these "investors" rarely actually invest.

Mandaric, El Fayed, Gaedamov-It can't just be dismissed

What they in fact do, is use their personal status to facilitate massive borrowing by the club that gets pissed away on transfer fees and exhorbitant wages sending it far, far into the red.

That same financial borrowing applies to Man Utd & Liverpool and Liverpool have to borrow another £300m to fund a new stadium.It also applies to the Brits at Leeds with offshore Trusts.

That's all very well if it pays off, but if it doesn't and the "investor" wants to walk away the club is saddled with huge debt and huge running costs with a piddly income that doesn't match. It's the road to ruin.

What we need is sensible investment, that means investment that allows us to increase our revenue. Investment in the stadium and infrastructure so that the club generates enough money to sustain a bigger wage bill and transfer spending ON IT'S OWN - not on an overdraft. It's called sustainable growth. With the East End redevelopment and subsequent plans for the Williams I believe that is what SL is trying to do.

And we don't know that new owners won't do it even quicker, do we?

An investor with some brains, like Madjeski, can be great for a club. Reading haven't spent huge on wages or transfer fees, they've done it sensibly and spent on the stadium so that the bigger wage bills were sustainable. They've been run very astutely both commercially and on the football front. If we had a proposed investor like that, someone who actually cares about the club rather than wants a toy to play with, I'd be very, very happy. In fact I think that is what SteveL is doing in a much smaller fashion with bigger obstacles (like out useless council) less success and less risk.

The main obstacle is that SL has't pumped in what Madjeski did and these days the cost has gone up.

Eastern european oil tycoons who work through agents based in Monaco and the Daily Mirror really do not sound like the sort of investors I would trust. They sound more like the crazy mentallists currently destroying Hearts. No thanks.

I don't think we should damn them until we know who they are and what they propose in detail.That's all about two things:

1.Do the existing owners wish to sell? If they don't then the price someone's willing to pay isn't relevant.

2.If SL, having carried out due diligence, feels that the offer is right & proper, then we can move forward.

Romanov is an interesting character to say the least however, and I'm no fan, one has to be mindful of the fact that Hearts, with their Scottish Board of Lifelong Fans, we're on the brink of financial ruin when he arrived and bailed them out.He also offered to sell the club to any bidder who can settle their debt and repay his loans-No takers, as of yet!

No, that's what they need to bring. Not what they do bring. Some work out, some don't. Would you say Hearts' owner has sound business acument and has brought investment rather than massive debt?

Hearts were going along very nicely before he decided he wanted to pick the team and sacked George Burley.I'm no fan however, as far as I'm aware, his personal money rescued Hearts.He must have some business accumen to have been able to takeover in the first place.Romanov is the guy that people against foreign owners always point out and I've cited him myself as a bad example or what a Chairman shouldn't be.One can'y say the same thing about Mandaric & El Fayed.

Two clubs that DO stand on their own two feet due to investing sensibly in new grounds. I'm sure SteveL would love to do that but unfortunately we are blessed with a local goverment that are less useful than an inflatable darts board.

Take away Majdeski & the £10m subsidy that Bolton get from their main shaeholder, an Isle of Man based Multi-Millioaire who's name escapes me (Davies??) and they'd both fold.Bolton, when last I viewed some financial information were massively in debt yet with a plan to escape from it over a number of years.

I think what he's said on the matter is eminently sensible and probably the only thing he can reasonably say.

On the basis that he hasn't been contacted by "the other side" then that is all he can say, at present.

Archived