IGNORED

Might Be Rubbish...possible Takeover

ciderup

CZECHS & THE CITY

EXCLUSIVE: £40m BID FOR ROBINS Robins could strike it rich with oil barons

By Alistair Grant 01/07/2007

More Football

Have your say: Football forum

BRISTOL CITY have been targeted by Czech and Serbian oil tycoons in a £40m takeover designed to take them to the Premiership.

The trio of oil barons have been preparing the approach since February and are to meet chairman Steve Lansdown for talks over buying a majority shareholding.

The Robins are the latest in a string of English clubs eyed by foreign billionaires.

The moguls believe City's fanbase, catchment area and ownership of Ashton Gate offer enormous growth potential.

Gary Johnson's side have just been promoted from League One to the Championship but the oil men want to plough in millions and take the club into the top flight in three years.

The bid hinges on the response of club chairman and financial services millionaire Lansdown.

The three mystery investors are partners in an oil company and made fortunes in oil refining. They are described as "big players" in their industry. Two of the investors are Czech and one is a Serb.

One of the Czechs is a Fulham season-ticket holder and lives in London with his family, while the Serb has a Chelsea season ticket.

They are all in their late 40s or early 50s.

The Bristol City deal is being pieced together by Monaco-based agent and former oil trader and broker Craig Hutchinson, 51.

Hutchinson said: "I can't name the investors yet but we would like to have an informal chat with the Bristol City chairman to find out if he's interested in attracting a shareholding from outside.

"My colleagues have £30m to £40m to invest as a controlling interest and have asked me to find a club and do the legwork and due diligence. They would not want a minority shareholding.

"We need to sit down with a business plan and know if Bristol City wants £20m or £50m for a controlling interest. We wouldn't get round to talking turkey until the season starts. The club's got so much potential. City have a big stadium which they fill and they do not lease Ashton Gate from the council or anyone else - they own it completely, and that's attractive from the start.

"Bristol has a big catchment area and City are the principal club. It's a good-sized club and should offer value for money. Now we need to see figures."

Hutchinson, a close friend of one of the moguls for 30 years, vowed the investors had done their homework and planned to take City into the elite.

"They are very ambitious. These guys want to get into the Premiership. If they did invest in Bristol, they would start in the Championship with realistically a three to five-year investment for the Premiership," he added.

"We were trying to get involved before they went up, as now they're in the Championship they'll be more expensive.

"We started looking at them in February and also looked at Southampton, but that area is saturated and there's not much growth potential."

Hutchinson urged Lansdown to allow the new investors to help the club rather than fight them off.

I can't imagine SL would want to give up his controlling shareholding in the club. It would be good if the trio of oil barrons would like to come on board as investors, but I would not like to see them take over with total control, IMO that is when the heart and soul is torn from a club.

If they did take us over, I could imagine a Chelski situation, where we are named in the media as, Bristoil city!

CZECHS & THE CITY

If it's ture it could be a good thing for the city, just look at chelski and pompy. but i think landsdown could do the same.

but iam not sure it's a good ideal in practice.

@@@k it lets sell to them if it means prem footy at the gate

CZECHS & THE CITY

More Football

Have your say: Football forum

BRISTOL CITY have been targeted by Czech and Serbian oil tycoons in a £40m takeover designed to take them to the Premiership.

there's not much growth potential."

Hutchinson urged Lansdown to allow the new investors to help the club rather than fight them off.

HI, do you have a link for this please?

Also in the News of the World.

I like how people are dismissing it already; like you have a say in it.

Might be the sort of investment we have been looking for.

the biggest problem i have is talk of a 3 year plan to get into the prem, theyll say 5 years for european football next. now where have i heared that before?

Think it may be a good thing the investment in the club. A three year target may mean one year consolidation, then plough more money in when we survive the first season, have a strong squad and then try to move on up with more investment. Maybe thsy do not want to spend 40 mllion and go straight down.

don't think its that unbelievable. everyone knows what a club we could be with the right backing.

as much as a good job SL has done, if there are people out there willing to put big money in the club to get us in the premiership i would bite their hands off.

city are in the sort of position where portsmouth were a few ago when manderich(sp?) took them over. already have a decent set up but just need that little extra. now look at portsmouth, pushing for european places in the prem. no reason why we couldnt be the same.

i can see it now, a new 50,000 state of the art stadium and champions league football to match!!!

Also been thinking maybe reason we are not splashing out on big fees is because this story is true. Why spend your own money on players when in say a months time someone else could be doing it instead.

That would not make a blind bit of difference, the negotiations would be based on the squad & overheads at the time of the deal being struck. Unless this deal is almost done there is no way it could be concluded by the transfer window closing.

Scared and confused.....

For once WTFiGO I completely agree with you.

I would hate to see the club taken over by foreign investors who have no passion or affiliation to Bristol City FC.They would only be interested in the kudos associated with being the Premiership.They are no doubt looking at other clubs as well.They are looking for a vehicle to drive them to the promised land.

Steve Lansdown is a Bristolian who is passionate about our club and has been loyal to our football club for years now.If anyone deserves the kudos of being a Premiership Chairman its him.

• SC&T Board Members

Well, of course he would ... no deal, no commission!

No idea whether this story has any substance ... it seems to be based totally on comments from a football agent, who (as a quick Google search shows) appears to like the sound of his own voice.

If there is some substance to it, however, it could lead (a) to a sale or (b) to encouraging SL to invest more (if it is known that he has turned away creditable big-money investors, he would clearly get a lot of stick if he didn't invest substantially himself) ... but they may well not be creditable.

Scared and confused.....

I would hate to see the club taken over by foreign investors who have no passion or affiliation to Bristol City FC.They would only be interested in the kudos associated with being the Premiership.They are no doubt looking at other clubs as well.They are looking for a vehicle to drive them to the promised land.

Steve Lansdown is a Bristolian who is passionate about our club and has been loyal to our football club for years now.If anyone deserves the kudos of being a Premiership Chairman its him.

Holy crap, I agree with the pair of you! :shocking:

Well, I've broken my usual summer absence from the forum to comment on this...

Firstly, until there is more evidence that this is actually true and not just speculation to fill sunday newspaper space, it should be treated with suspicion.

However, if it does turn out to be true, I don't think it should be dismissed as some responders have already done on this thread.

We've all said in the past what a catch for some wealthy investor this club could be, and dreamt about having a 'sugar daddy' to get us back to the top flight. So we all want it, and is it so terrible that it'll be foreign money? Look at the clubs already owned by foreign investment - they not doing so bad, are they?

I think Lansdown would be receptive to a large offer of investment and also believe he would be happy to hand over a controlling interest - to the right people.

While I believe Lansdown has probably taken the club about as far as he can, I don't think he would hand over control of the club to a dodgy deal, so maybe we should rely on his integrity and business acumen to decide whether any possible takeover would benefit the club in the long run.

As a past critic of Lansdown, I would nevertheless be happy to rely on his judgement on whether to do a deal. After all, it's not as though he needs the money, is it? So any deal he does decide to do would be for the benefit of the club.

Now, I'm going back to my summer break... :cool2::rain::sun:

Or perhaps you are worried they will see what a waste of space it is by having a drinking club for a few "shit smells better than yours" individuals and quickly do away with it?

How i'd welcome that :winner_third_h4h: Get them in!

Well I'm fairly certain its been discussed on here already, but this talk in the papers this morning about a £40m take over, what do we think? good or bad thing?

Plus side is look at what investment has done for teams like Wigan, Fulham, Reading etc. It could be the investment this club, and this City needs to get a team in the Premiership.

Downsides are, look at teams like Leeds, Bradford etc. Team that have been there, invested and then bombed out......two clubs which are, lets be fair, in ruins at the bit

I'm happy with the way our club is progressing, how its being run. For the first time in a few years we have a real sense of stability around the club, and not sure if I would want this take over just yet, as could unsettle a lot of people, whether it be players or management

What do we all think?

Well, I've broken my usual summer absence from the forum to comment on this...

Firstly, until there is more evidence that this is actually true and not just speculation to fill sunday newspaper space, it should be treated with suspicion.

However, if it does turn out to be true, I don't think it should be dismissed as some responders have already done on this thread.

We've all said in the past what a catch for some wealthy investor this club could be, and dreamt about having a 'sugar daddy' to get us back to the top flight. So we all want it, and is it so terrible that it'll be foreign money? Look at the clubs already owned by foreign investment - they not doing so bad, are they?

I think Lansdown would be receptive to a large offer of investment and also believe he would be happy to hand over a controlling interest - to the right people.

While I believe Lansdown has probably taken the club about as far as he can, I don't think he would hand over control of the club to a dodgy deal, so maybe we should rely on his integrity and business acumen to decide whether any possible takeover would benefit the club in the long run.

As a past critic of Lansdown, I would nevertheless be happy to rely on his judgement on whether to do a deal. After all, it's not as though he needs the money, is it? So any deal he does decide to do would be for the benefit of the club.

Now, I'm going back to my summer break... :cool2::rain::sun:

The point is, he hasn't taken it as far as he can. Following the HL flotation, he has the choice to move up to another level of investment, should he so wish.

Most of us would probably prefer that to a jump into the unknown with Eastern European oil tycoons. Do we really want an Abramovich (maybe) or a Romanov (no) .... and we wouldn't know which we were getting.

There are some tools on here.

£30-£40M investment to get us into the Premiership. Can't be dismissed out of hand surely? :noexpression:

Some people on here remind me of that Wigan fan on Sky Sports News who moaned about them getting into the Prem and how he preferred it when they were in the lower leagues :10_1_108:

Archived