IGNORED

Might Be Rubbish...possible Takeover

ciderup

This is maybe an appropriate time for many of us to stop and think why we support City.

There are some who think that the potential investment and getting to the promised land is all that matters. I am not of that opinion and here's why.

I love the fact that I park at the same place every other Saturday and walk to Ashton Gate.

I love the walk past the Coopers and Rising Sun.

I love Ashton Gate and think it is simply wonderful in the middle of a proper residential area.

As a City fan I know disappointment like an umbrella in April. But I also know the very occasional victory or success, not least the recent promotion. And how wonderful and very much appreciated are those successes.

I like Steve Lansdown and think he is a bloke who I could share a pint with and discuss our problems on the left wing.

I love it that Steve screams with delight after we score when he is co-commentating on Radio Bristol.

I love the West Country burr of the "Drink up ze Cider" songs on the London underground.

I love it that I see the same people at the home and away games.

And how would this change if we took the Czech pieces of silver?

I suspect they would like to move us from Ashton Gate. If we have success it will be because we've purchased it. The City community will become infested with part-time glory seeking fans. I already know that I don't like a Czech oil baron who has a Chelsea Season Ticket.

I want success like us all. And if we get another promotion through hard work, dedication and team spirit I will weekly go round Steve Lansdown's house and clean the underside of his car with my own toothbrush.

If we sell out to these Czechs I will rescind my (first ever) Season Ticket and cease to support McCider City or Bristol Barracudas or whatever branding they decide to give us.

So you don't ever want us to progress? You will get all of the above even if we gain it through hard work ie glory supporters etc.. you will find that this season......

I want the club to progress, but to remain stable in doing so. If there are investors out there who can match Lansdowne pound for pound with "real" money (not loans) then bring it on.

If they are just looking at generating money by using there links to Eastern European banks and using anything Bristol City as collateral then no thank you. That way is paved with the dregs of Leeds etc.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, the fact that the ground is owned by a separate Company would deter some investors anyway, that will be a big clue as to their intentions. If they are more interested in purchasing the Holdings company than the football club, we will know where they are coming from.

BB you seem to give the impression that Lansdown could do a Madjeski if he just "pumped in" the money. That's far from the case.

Madjeski's investment was in the stadium so that Reading's income increased and their growth was sustainable. He hasn't underwritten massive wage or transfer spending, far from it. They wouldn't fold without him either, because they've spent money sensibly the Premiership income is more than enough to sustain them.

We don't have that option. We can't build a spanking new stadium because the council are shit. We can't wholesale redevelop the one we have because of fundamental problems with the site. We have a plan to rebuild it piece by piece to about 29k capacity with better non matchday revenue and corporate facilities. How could we do better?

That last time I read anything about Bolton, the only debt they had was the debt related to developing their stadium and they were ahead of schedule for repaying it because of the improvement in their finances resulting from builing it..

Mandaric was a reasonably sound investor like Madjeski. However Portsmouth have big problems. Their future rests largely on them getting planning permission for the stadium they have proposed and without it they will find it extremely hard to carry on at that level.

Al Fayed is just running up debt at Fulham and the moment he thinks he's had enough of it they will plummet back to the fourth division if they're lucky enough to survive. I doubt any Fulham fans will think 10 years of mid table mediocrity in the Prem was worth it if their club goes bust.

If there was an investor waiting in the wings who was prepared to invest properly I'd be happy and I daresay SteveL would be too. I doubt somehow that the first SteveL would hear of it would be a monaco based agent sounding off in a tabloid, and that's the basis I'm being dismissive of it on.

Afternoon Sh'eads,

Call me a Macabre Sag Bastard but I personally wouldn't like to see an 'oil magnate' pump money into Rovers. I enjoy the lower leagues, it's real football. There's nothing better than seeing one of your heroes pushing a trolley round a supermarket. The Premiership is over rated, ask Wigan supporters and when I say Wigan supporters I mean the 3,000 that would turn up every week at Springfield Park.

Keep Football Real.

Afternoon Sag, why would any person with decent money in their bank a/c want to to put a £1 into the Rovers?

Unless ofcourse those lush pasties of yours were "half price"..

Good that he has cleared it up as soon as possible.

These things have a habbit of over-shadowing goings on, on the field and at the club.

Excellent that he's come out so quickly, and basically said.......who are you? what you talking about? and how about actually giving me a call if you are interested in buying the club?

BB you seem to give the impression that Lansdown could do a Madjeski if he just "pumped in" the money. That's far from the case.

Madjeski's investment was in the stadium so that Reading's income increased and their growth was sustainable. He hasn't underwritten massive wage or transfer spending, far from it. They wouldn't fold without him either, because they've spent money sensibly the Premiership income is more than enough to sustain them.

We don't have that option. We can't build a spanking new stadium because the council are shit. We can't wholesale redevelop the one we have because of fundamental problems with the site. We have a plan to rebuild it piece by piece to about 29k capacity with better non matchday revenue and corporate facilities. How could we do better?

That last time I read anything about Bolton, the only debt they had was the debt related to developing their stadium and they were ahead of schedule for repaying it because of the improvement in their finances resulting from builing it..

Mandaric was a reasonably sound investor like Madjeski. However Portsmouth have big problems. Their future rests largely on them getting planning permission for the stadium they have proposed and without it they will find it extremely hard to carry on at that level.

Al Fayed is just running up debt at Fulham and the moment he thinks he's had enough of it they will plummet back to the fourth division if they're lucky enough to survive. I doubt any Fulham fans will think 10 years of mid table mediocrity in the Prem was worth it if their club goes bust.

If there was an investor waiting in the wings who was prepared to invest properly I'd be happy and I daresay SteveL would be too. I doubt somehow that the first SteveL would hear of it would be a monaco based agent sounding off in a tabloid, and that's the basis I'm being dismissive of it on.

Some good points and I'm sure many Pompey fans would have said the same about Mandaric before he turned up.Without doubt there are ups and down for Football Clubs irrespective of the nationality of their ownership and all I'm really saying is "Let's See"

I agree that the Broker shouldn't have spoken to the press in advance of a conversation with SL.That is, frankly, unprofessional in the extreme.One thing that did surprise me was a comment along the lines of "The Price has gone up since Feb!"........what price when SL hasn't spoken to them??

If I had to bet one way it would be that this Peters out, at least until we're in The Prem but you never know and Wolves takeover is a prime example of how things can move on....albeit by a lifelong fan.............of Liverpool!!

Pointless starting another thread.

There was plenty of smoke and mirrors but no fire the last time we had some takeover headlines.

I can't understand how anyone can read a tabloid article and conclude that unnamed mystery investors would be a good thing particularly when that usually means they just run up massive debts and **** off.

Pointless starting another thread.

There was plenty of smoke and mirrors but no fire the last time we had some takeover headlines.

I can't understand how anyone can read a tabloid article and conclude that unnamed mystery investors would be a good thing particularly when that usually means they just run up massive debts and **** off.

LOOK at most clubs that have been taken over,the majority have gone onwards and upwards.

If the potential to take city on again, it SHOULD AND MUST be looked at, all for change if it benifits this football club,just shows entering the championship opens up new avenues over the third divsion we came from.

Personally, I'd be vary wary of east europeans with more money than sense!

On the basis that you don't know who they are, how do you know that?

Personally, if Abramovich gets fe up with Chelsea I think he'd be sensible enogh to join us.

I want the club to progress, but to remain stable in doing so. If there are investors out there who can match Lansdowne pound for pound with "real" money (not loans) then bring it on.

On the basis of the article it'll be more like £10 to £1

If they are just looking at generating money by using there links to Eastern European banks and using anything Bristol City as collateral then no thank you. That way is paved with the dregs of Leeds etc.

In fairness Leeds was totally British

As someone else mentioned on this thread, the fact that the ground is owned by a separate Company would deter some investors anyway, that will be a big clue as to their intentions. If they are more interested in purchasing the Holdings company than the football club, we will know where they are coming from.

Any sensible buyer would want both

Personally Id sooner have a Brit owning the club.Its beginning to irk me nowadays how british clubs are selling out to blokes who are from foreign shores.

Don't read the Sun or The Mail by any chance :whistle2:

first it was our Cars,then our foodstuffs and now our football clubs.

Be our women and the building industry next-AND I bet these guys are illegal immigrants AND the money is coming from state benefits ALL £40m of it-Spongers and criminals the lot of them :preacher:

In fairness Leeds was totally British

Yes, and all that proves is that any idiot can raise money on future potential or collateral and then do a runner when the sky falls in. My point remains that the money has to be their money, invested, not raised on the club or loaned, for it to be lower risk to our long term future.

On that basis I would welcome further investment, but then I wouldn't think there are that many of those guys out there.

For once WTFiGO I completely agree with you.

I would hate to see the club taken over by foreign investors who have no passion or affiliation to Bristol City FC.They would only be interested in the kudos associated with being the Premiership.They are no doubt looking at other clubs as well.They are looking for a vehicle to drive them to the promised land.

Steve Lansdown is a Bristolian who is passionate about our club and has been loyal to our football club for years now.If anyone deserves the kudos of being a Premiership Chairman its him.

I don't think he has been at all. Just protecting his investment, like any good businessman. He may well get his investment back by selling out. Robbored, do you fear change in everything? and do you beleive SL ALL the time? about everything?

First, if you wan't to take over a club you don't go the press. Why full control? You have to qualify. Bristol City FC is a big part of our lives and not a toy for foreign investors. Good men and women are humble persons who can only be judged after several years. Your wallet meens nothing. Making a fortune in eastern Europe suggest you have been eating instead of having been eaten. 10 % each at the most and cash on table. Besides, you don't make money in football. How many Premier League teams are actually making a profit?

Right on both points the BCFC Sweden. however our whole league structure is full of takeovers right now. City offers a "RELATIVELY" cheap option of buying into the dream. I wouldnt rubbish the plan or the way its being done. this club is very well run by lower league club standards, and COULD be a extremely good and shrewd investment. Note could be, it may go all pete tong.

don't be Tim.

I reckon its the way forward.

Look at all the other clubs its happened to, all doing well.

Go for it i say........

Arny, as usual, sense talked by yer good self.

who would you prefer to have in charge of the club? A foreign businessman or a life long fan?

Who ever does the most to get my club successful.

first and foremost the club will be worth as much as someone is willing to pay, a figure can be set by the available accounts but if the right people feel that BCFC is a viable concern and the club can be moved forward very quickly then the price will be set accordingly.

as far as lansdowne is concerned money may not be the driver in his decision, he may feel that he has taken the club as far as he can and it is time to pass it on to somebone with have greater ambitions.

I have said for a long time that if this part of the country had a team in the premiership the possibilities could be massive in terms of support and revenue.

yours midland red.

another voice of sanity.

This is not automatically a bad thing. The geezer at Pompei, and sonofabitch aint done badly. The Glazers seem to be backing Manure, and the Yanks the Scousers, & Villa too. Only the Arse are having cold feet, and Henry going is the the first signs of what will happen to them, with the lack of ambition. What do we want here soaring with eagles or playing turkies??

Villa or Vale, Liverpool or Tranmere, The Arse or Orient, the Monkey Hangers, or Newcastle, the Gas or Real Madrid?? champions league or Mickey Mouse Cup?

and I say this as someone who would most likely never ever see City, if we got into the Prem. Priced out by all the prawns who come in with success! C'mon people where is our ambition?

If the deal is good, then lets go for it. If its NOT, walk away.

I don't think he has been at all. Just protecting his investment, like any good businessman. He may well get his investment back by selling out. Robbored, do you fear change in everything? and do you beleive SL ALL the time? about everything?

Right on both points the BCFC Sweden. however our whole league structure is full of takeovers right now. City offers a "RELATIVELY" cheap option of buying into the dream. I wouldnt rubbish the plan or the way its being done. this club is very well run by lower league club standards, and COULD be a extremely good and shrewd investment. Note could be, it may go all pete tong.

Arny, as usual, sense talked by yer good self.

Who ever does the most to get my club successful.

another voice of sanity.

This is not automatically a bad thing. The geezer at Pompei, and sonofabitch aint done badly. The Glazers seem to be backing Manure, and the Yanks the Scousers, & Villa too. Only the Arse are having cold feet, and Henry going is the the first signs of what will happen to them, with the lack of ambition. What do we want here soaring with eagles or playing turkies??

Villa or Vale, Liverpool or Tranmere, The Arse or Orient, the Monkey Hangers, or Newcastle, the Gas or Real Madrid?? champions league or Mickey Mouse Cup?

and I say this as someone who would most likely never ever see City, if we got into the Prem. Priced out by all the prawns who come in with success! C'mon people where is our ambition?

If the deal is good, then lets go for it. If its NOT, walk away.

Thanks Buck,s but after nearly 40 years of following the boys, i honestly belive WE OUGHT TO GIVE IT A CHANCE!

Nothing to lose. Fail? so be it , but as much as i admire SL doing a goodish job, he aint going to chuck 50 mill at the club!

Its the unknown, me, you, all of us, so come on, go for it!

The thought of competing with the best, gives me a @ard on!

You old romantic you.

Oooh, ta thanks. And does it get me anywhere? Does it buggery.

FWIW, I think this story is complete and utter b*ll*cks. I won't be surprised if Mr Hutchinson is a saghead. There's a very strange smell around this.

Sorry, but this story just fills me with dread. 'Premiership football within 3 years' sounds awfully familiar and as has been said if they think the daily mirror is the place to do business then i don't want them anywhere near the club. What price GJ being fired and replaced with some random serb, ala hearts?

either way, you can be sure that tomorrow's evening post will be featuring a front page WORLD EXCLUSIVE - City in Takeover Bid........some how turn it into a 4 page story and then claim they are the first to report it.

Guest DanC
either way, you can be sure that tomorrow's evening post will be featuring a front page WORLD EXCLUSIVE - City in Takeover Bid........some how turn it into a 4 page story and then claim they are the first to report it.
And then they will have 8 pages asking why Rovers haven't had any interest in a takeover.

Sorry, but this story just fills me with dread. 'Premiership football within 3 years' sounds awfully familiar and as has been said if they think the daily mirror is the place to do business then i don't want them anywhere near the club. What price GJ being fired and replaced with some random serb, ala hearts?

HAHA, you cant just make things up.......

City in the prem :P would love that! Playing against the likes of Man U and Liverpool every week would be amazing!

I would personally back them its a risk but would be great to city city playing against the big boys and ashton gate packed everyweek.

City in the prem :P would love that! Playing against the likes of Man U and Liverpool every week would be amazing!

I would personally back them its a risk but would be great to city city playing against the big boys and ashton gate packed everyweek.

Sorry but this sounds just like the take over by that ex Bros band member (Davidson??? I think) and his incredibly dull cronies about 10 years ago, with talk of a 5 year plan and all that baloney.

I think Lansdown's response on the main site says it all about the credibility of this story. He has always said he would step aside if someone with the dosh (with proof before negotiations start) and drive to succeed came forward.

I am a betting man and would back Lansdown in a wager to be the chairman with the club in its current guise this time next year.

:disapointed2se: Even if the investors ever appear 30/40 million hardly buys a player or 2 for those teams and don't forget our 20,000 max cap ground; oh and tickets they will be £40 plus a game,season tickets..... take out a mortgage.

A certain prem player today has turned down £120,000 a week for christs sake, he aint even that good i.m.h.o.

don't set your sights to high yet mate, survival in our new league will do me.

After following City for over 30 years, through thin and thin :D , I am looking at two options and weighing them up.

1. The investors are what they say they are, and we attain Premiership status in 3 - 5 years, and I return to the days in the 70's when we played top teams

2. They aren't what they say, and we end up with a Hearts, Wrexham, Leeds etc scenario, no longer owning Ashton Gate and in debt, freefalling.

And I come to the conclusion that I want City to stay as they are, and rejoice in moments like the recent promotion that mean all the more as they were earned by a bunch of honest players, not mercenaries. I also do not want to take the chance that scenarion 2 above happens.

After following City for over 30 years, through thin and thin :D , I am looking at two options and weighing them up.

1. The investors are what they say they are, and we attain Premiership status in 3 - 5 years, and I return to the days in the 70's when we played top teams

2. They aren't what they say, and we end up with a Hearts, Wrexham, Leeds etc scenario, no longer owning Ashton Gate and in debt, freefalling.

And I come to the conclusion that I want City to stay as they are, and rejoice in moments like the recent promotion that mean all the more as they were earned by a bunch of honest players, not mercenaries. I also do not want to take the chance that scenarion 2 above happens.

:clap: Dickie Rooks geez memories there matey :yes:

i see it all this way :

1) investment in the club cant be a bad thing AS LONG as the "investors" are not there just to make a quick buck and then dissapear leaving the club with massive wage bills, debts and nowhere to go but down

2) SL has done a good job IMHO and i would like to see him keep the club steady like he has been doing for a long time

3) these "investors" obviously don't support city (it reported that 2 of them have ST`s for chelski / fulham so are quite obviously only in it for the money return...

any investment should be looked at but cautiously

i say wait till any concrete story comes out

:devil::devil::devil:

• Admin
Sorry but this sounds just like the take over by that ex Bros band member (Davidson??? I think) and his incredibly dull cronies about 10 years ago, with talk of a 5 year plan and all that baloney.

I think Lansdown's response on the main site says it all about the credibility of this story. He has always said he would step aside if someone with the dosh (with proof before negotiations start) and drive to succeed came forward.

I am a betting man and would back Lansdown in a wager to be the chairman with the club in its current guise this time next year.

I think you're mixing up your takeovers.....

Scott Davidson was a member of the group that took control with Lansdown(*) still here.

I think it was Russe with the 5 year plan etc.

(*) It was actually a little more complicated than that but he was part of the same board as SL

Archived