IGNORED

Steve Brooker?

Dan Of The Dolman

Oh yeah, a player with zero championship experience,

Like Noble had until a couple of weeks back? I guess you'd have said Fontaine, McCombe, Basso, Orr, Johnson, Sproule, Wilson, McAllister, Vasko and Skuse all couldn't cut it at the start of the season too?

who has lost a season, and a bit, due to injury, and his little spell in chokey is really going to make a difference.

I guess I imagined the nearly 30 games he played in last season.

Lee Trundle has not made a huge impact in this league yet, despite being fitter to start the season, and scoring more goals than Brooker over the last couple of seasons, seasons in which Brooker has not played a full season due to the knee injury. who is to say he will not break down with the same injury?

Qualified medical staff?

Trundle wasn't a better player than Brooker in league one, what on earth makes you think he is at this level?

Oh by the way Noble is a better player than Brooker anyway.

Brooker was our best player for two seasons. Noble is a great footballer but he's not exactly Mr fit and available either. Calling him a better player than Brooker is tenuous at best.

I think you forget exactly how much better our team has always performed with Brooker in it.

Steve will be back. Judging by the way our forward line performed today the sooner the better. He has worked extremely hard to get back to fitness and i for one can't wait to see him back doing what he does best.

Steve will be back. Judging by the way our forward line performed today the sooner the better.

sorry? how many games has he played at this level? ZERO

i for one can't wait to see him back doing what he does best.

chatting up nurses in the BRI?

Steve is a better player than Trundle and Byfield put together. Can either of them hold up the ball like Steve does? NO!!!

Yes, Trundle can hold it up and better!

BOTH Trundle and Byfield also have better goal scorer records than Brooker and fitness records and also better looking girlfriends

The Brooker of 2005/6 would work wonders in this divsion. His positional play was superb, balls into feet weren't a problem, a working man's Peter Crouch. The sooner we get him back, the better.

The latest press stuff (from the club) seem to suggest he's surprisingly close to a comeback.

I'm one of those that feel he's up there with Trundle in terms of ability. Definitely less touch, but tougher and a real handful for defenders. Less ability to hold it up, but more ability to brush past them and create chance for himself. I think he'd be fine in the Championship if fit, and it may happen after all ...

Trundle wasn't a better player than Brooker in league one, what on earth makes you think he is at this level?

Was too. Scored much more goals at a better ratio and made more too. I expect nothing of Brooker in terms of coming back, and i expect nothing of him in terms of on the pitch.

He's too small, not strong enough, not quick enough, not fit enough and doesn't have the technical ability to survive in this league and under GJ. He's a poor mans Steve Howard who'll struggle to stay in this league.

He's a player to get us up, and a player to throw in to keep us up, he's not a player to progress the club.

Was too. Scored much more goals at a better ratio and made more too. I expect nothing of Brooker in terms of coming back, and i expect nothing of him in terms of on the pitch.

He's too small, not strong enough, not quick enough, not fit enough and doesn't have the technical ability to survive in this league and under GJ. He's a poor mans Steve Howard who'll struggle to stay in this league.

He's a player to get us up, and a player to throw in to keep us up, he's not a player to progress the club.

I get the impression you're deliberately talking out of your arse just to get a rise today.

Brooker was a far better player than Trundle at the last level, the City fan that would have swapped him for Trundle would have been one in a hundred.

If he gets fit he will definitely succeed at this level, no doubt about it.

I get the impression you're deliberately talking out of your arse just to get a rise today.

Brooker was a far better player than Trundle at the last level, the City fan that would have swapped him for Trundle would have been one in a hundred.

Hope yer right Nibor.

Brookers quality was to bully defenders.

He was strong as a ox when 100% fit, and lets ALL hope he gets back to that level.

I just feel that, if he takes another knock on that dodgey leg/knee, he really might have to call it a day.

Hopefully, the lad proves me wrong mate.

I don't get this situation with Brooker..In my opinion ever since the 'inncident' with Brown and Orr he has not been the same, yes unlucky alot with bad injuries however he should have been sold, he wont have a chance of making out first team again this season if Trundle/Byfield and Noble have anything to do with it..for the wages we have paying Brooker now for almost 8 months whilst he has played no games we could used on paying the wages for a new defender or midfielder.

Hope yer right Nibor.

Brookers quality was to bully defenders.

He was strong as a ox when 100% fit, and lets ALL hope he gets back to that level.

I just feel that, if he takes another knock on that dodgey leg/knee, he really might have to call it a day.

Hopefully, the lad proves me wrong mate.

Arn the good thing is that Brooker's injury isn't one that weakens the joint or reoccurs once it's successfully healed. It's just a bugger to get healed and we rushed him back too early too often. The last op was just to tidy up scar tissue that was restricting movement.

I agree he is a very strong player with a great workrate. He's also the only player we've got who can play with his back to the goal and make the direct ball stick, and he's extremely good when he turns and shoots too.

I think some people have very short memories - that or they're just on the wind up.

I don't get this situation with Brooker..In my opinion ever since the 'inncident' with Brown and Orr he has not been the same, yes unlucky alot with bad injuries however he should have been sold, he wont have a chance of making out first team again this season if Trundle/Byfield and Noble have anything to do with it..for the wages we have paying Brooker now for almost 8 months whilst he has played no games we could used on paying the wages for a new defender or midfielder.

You can't sell an injured player nor can you stop paying one so what exactly are you suggesting the club should have done differently?

Arn the good thing is that Brooker's injury isn't one that weakens the joint or reoccurs once it's successfully healed. It's just a bugger to get healed and we rushed him back too early too often. The last op was just to tidy up scar tissue that was restricting movement.

I agree he is a very strong player with a great workrate. He's also the only player we've got who can play with his back to the goal and make the direct ball stick, and he's extremely good when he turns and shoots too.

I think some people have very short memories - that or they're just on the wind up.

You can't sell an injured player nor can you stop paying one so what exactly are you suggesting the club should have done differently?

Cant agree more Nibor.

Just imagine a 100% fit Stevie Brooker in Jan, leading the line at 26 years of age, and scoring goals for fun in the championship!!!!!

No need for Mr J to enter the transfer market for a loan striker, the lad could end up being the answer!!!

I am very suprised that at the end of last season GJ didnt sit SB down and say the following..

Steve, I'm trying to take this club forward as you know, i am bringing in players next season who are fit, strong and will be able to confidently compete nxt season with the big teams in the championship, sadly the new team I'm trying to build and setup I'm trying to create does not involve you anymore so I'm going to be placing you on the transfer list...Yuo have been a great servant to the club but I have no plans for you here...

I am very suprised that at the end of last season GJ didnt sit SB down and say the following..

Steve, I'm trying to take this club forward as you know, i am bringing in players next season who are fit, strong and will be able to confidently compete nxt season with the big teams in the championship, sadly the new team I'm trying to build and setup I'm trying to create does not involve you anymore so I'm going to be placing you on the transfer list...Yuo have been a great servant to the club but I have no plans for you here...

The reason GJ didn't do that is because it would have been an utterly stupid thing to do.

Noone would have signed him.

It would have just disrupted the whole club and pissed off the fans.

It would have demotivated the player further.

It would have saved us no money whatsoever.

You're making absolutely no sense at all.

U serious?

GJ knows how good SB (could) be, and at 26, the clubs striker for years to come!

With all due respect to LT and DB, mid 30,s players might struggle at Championship level with seasons to come

I've consistently (not rated isn't the right phrase) not liked Brooker as much as the others on this forum since he came. In his first season i wasn't able to get to that many home games but i went to loads away. He went missing, got bullied, was dispassionate and left a bad impression on me. So much so that when a season ticket friend of mine came up to his first away game he remarked "the away Brooker is a different player, no wonder you don't rate him."

Ask how many Swansea fans would've swapped Brooker for Trundle and you'd get 0 in a hundred. We're always loyal to our own players.

Trundle created and scored more goals than Brooker did. Sorry, simply cold, un biased hard facts support my view not yours.

0.3 Goals a game for Brooker in League one vs 0.54 goals per game for Trundle league one appearances only. Work that out, over a season it means Brooker would score 14, and Trundle 24, that's 10 more goals a season for Trundle.

They're different types of players too. Wipe the slate clean and ask a fan to build a strike force to get you out of league one. Brooker wouldn't get a mention in the top 10 i'm sure.

That's an incredible statement to make. Huge amounts of league one strikers don't cut it in the championship. Even ones with great records. Brooker doesn't even have that. He doesn't have the physical or technical attributes in him to match this level. It's not arse talking but my observations backed by reason.

"Target men" need to be huge monsters in this league. A Horsfield, a Hartson, a Howard. Brooker's weak and small by comparison. Is he technically great? Not in my opinion. Does he score enough goals? Factually no. His best performances have come when he's next to a target man too what does that say about him?

So IMO he's not good enough to either hold the ball up or score the goals. We've enough height and physicality in the team already.

Why do you think he will succeed? What have you seen to mark him out as a championship player? Don't just say i'm wrong, say why you think i'm wrong.

Would would Brooker bring to the team we don't already have?

I am sorry but this is just my opinion and i understand why people are slating me for not making any sense here however here are the questions...

What did Brooker do for us last season? Not much really, looked slow and unfit, weighed with a few goals but that was about it.

Is Brookers injury going to be a problem for him again in the near future? Sorry guys but I have to answer yes for this one. He has recived top class treatmen and is working hard to come back but when a player has a bad injuty like Brookers its going to cause problems again for him and us. Say for example he comes straight back into the frame and gets another bad injury and doesnt play again this season..

Are there strikers we should now be looking to sign that will perform in the very top flight, because thats where were heading at the moment. In my opinion Brooker against premierhip teams..Cant see it myself, he will be so far off the pace..And I know you can say the same about Trundle but then he has got a million pound price tag on him..

YES Brooker has been good for us in the past but I'm sorry I'm being realistic for his future at AG even though GJ has paraised him alot saying he will make a good comeback..He's slow, injury prone, not consistant enough for geting goals at our level now.

Answer.. Keep him in light training and reserves till xmas, ship him out on loan in Jan so he can get match fit then bring him back and then maybee give him another chance.

Swansea (h) last season.
I wish I could have that long off of work with pay.

Brooks is a good player and I look forward to seeing him in a City shirt again soon.

That's an incredible statement to make. Huge amounts of league one strikers don't cut it in the championship. Even ones with great records. Brooker doesn't even have that. He doesn't have the physical or technical attributes in him to match this level. It's not arse talking but my observations backed by reason.

Would would Brooker bring to the team we don't already have?

My observations are quite simple. Brooker works harder than any striker we have currently, wins more in the air, holds off challenges better, takes more shots he works for himself around the edge of the box, and keeps possession better. The one fault I'd say I've noticed in his game is a lack of vision occasionally.

Right now we have Byfield poaching well, and Trundle doing lots of stuff he's not suited to. Brooker could play up front next to either of them and they'd both be better players for it. How many did the strikers Trundle played alongside at Swansea score?

What I've seen of Brooker over three seasons, and what I've seen of other similar players who've made it at this level tells me he's good enough. Poor man's Steve Howard? I always considered him to be a better player personally - especially given the 5 year age difference.

I am sorry but this is just my opinion and i understand why people are slating me for not making any sense here however here are the questions...

You're missing the point. Whether or not you think he can get fit or stay fit are irrelevant to saying we should have sold him or told him he wasn't needed because there was simply no benefit to be had in doing that.

My observations are quite simple. Brooker works harder than any striker we have currently, wins more in the air, holds off challenges better, takes more shots he works for himself around the edge of the box, and keeps possession better. The one fault I'd say I've noticed in his game is a lack of vision occasionally.

You can't work hard when you're not fit enough to do it. Byfield works just as hard and Trundle is starting to (judgeing on what i saw yesterday) with much more ability than Brooker. I don't remember Brooker winning that many headers.

Right now we have Byfield poaching well, and Trundle doing lots of stuff he's not suited to. Brooker could play up front next to either of them and they'd both be better players for it. How many did the strikers Trundle played alongside at Swansea score?

26 last season, 25 the year before and 24 the year before that.

Brooker's partners scored 12 the last season he was fit, 30 the year before. 35 the year before that.

(Those are just adding up how many goals the other strikers scored in the league that season so doesn't reflect the strikers injuries/subs etc)

So over three years (I've even left out last year to help Brooker's cause) the partners go just in Brooker's favour. Add in the individual goals and Trundle comes out way on top. I know you want to believe that our player was better and we weren't missing out, but we really were.

The other factor was that both Lita an McPhee went up the leagues, where none of Trundle's partners have except Fallon, who's crap.

What I've seen of Brooker over three seasons, and what I've seen of other similar players who've made it at this level tells me he's good enough. Poor man's Steve Howard? I always considered him to be a better player personally - especially given the 5 year age difference.

Fair enough, but i've always thought Brooker isn't physical or nasty enough to really be a target man and that he doesn't dominate anyone in the same way Howard has.

Fair enough, but i've always thought Brooker isn't physical or nasty enough to really be a target man and that he doesn't dominate anyone in the same way Howard has.

Trundle played with Morrell at Wrexham who after playing with Trundle moved onto Coventry

and in fairness although McPhee has moved up a league to Hull, done nothing either similar to Fallon

Redhyde.

Not a dig, but who really gives a F@@K

2nd in the championship after 13 games, lost 1

Lost 1!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooker/Trundle/Byfield/Enoch/Williams.......Lost 1, Lost 1, Lost 1!!!!!!!!!

What did Brooker do for us last season? Not much really, looked slow and unfit, weighed with a few goals but that was about it.

Those few goals got us promoted.

Try and deny that, please.

Redhyde.

Not a dig, but who really gives a F@@K

2nd in the championship after 13 games, lost 1

Lost 1!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooker/Trundle/Byfield/Enoch/Williams.......Lost 1, Lost 1, Lost 1!!!!!!!!!

Erm, strange comment from a guy who's posted 6 times on this thread? You clearly give a...

Start a thread saying how great it is we're second and only lost one in the league and how amazingly well we're doing and I'll whole heartedly agree and state how happy i am with the club at the moment. I am, I'm loving it.

This however, is a debate and discussion about Steve Brooker.

I'm interested in why people think Brooker would help and/or make a positive contribution to the team based on his previous appearances which is why i'm posting and adding my views to it.

Because everyone's bored with success already, and we're only here for an argument and to prove we're right really, we're arguing about and discussing hypothetical events in order to get a reference so we can laugh at people who disagreed and bring it up to annoy people when our views turn out to be correct.

You're one of these wonderful people (who i aspire to be) who are genuinely happy with doing well and don't see past that. My nature makes me question things, look for improvements and constantly doubt.

I love being second, if we were 18th I'd still love it at that would still exceed my expectation of this year. But i always have to look at things and strive for more. Be content with your own happiness but for you it's pointless to question the questions of people who look at a glass half empty and who can't be content themselves.

I'm interested in why people think Brooker would help and/or make a positive contribution to the team based on his previous appearances

Previous appearances...

Um...he's been our best striker for the 3 seasons before this...

Being injured doesnt make him worse than Enoch/Jevo in terms of ability.

Previous appearances...

Um...he's been our best striker for the 3 seasons before this...

Being injured doesnt make him worse than Enoch/Jevo in terms of ability.

Better than Lita?

And it doesn't make him better! Those two got us up over the full course of a season, something Brooker never did.

Both Enoch and Jevo have been cast aside pretty much as soon as we hit the championship. Enoch blew his chance and Jevo hasn't got one. Why wouldn't Brooker fall into that category?

Better than Lita?

And it doesn't make him better! Those two got us up over the full course of a season, something Brooker never did.

Both Enoch and Jevo have been cast aside pretty much as soon as we hit the championship. Enoch blew his chance and Jevo hasn't got one. Why wouldn't Brooker fall into that category?

Because he's a far better player than either of them and GJ seems to agree as shown by his giving him a long contract.

Erm, strange comment from a guy who's posted 6 times on this thread? You clearly give a...

Start a thread saying how great it is we're second and only lost one in the league and how amazingly well we're doing and I'll whole heartedly agree and state how happy i am with the club at the moment. I am, I'm loving it.

I'm interested in why people think Brooker would help and/or make a positive contribution to the team based on his previous appearances which is why i'm posting and adding my views to it.

Because everyone's bored with success already, and we're only here for an argument and to prove we're right really, we're arguing about and discussing hypothetical events in order to get a reference so we can laugh at people who disagreed and bring it up to annoy people when our views turn out to be correct.

You're one of these wonderful people (who i aspire to be) who are genuinely happy with doing well and don't see past that. My nature makes me question things, look for improvements and constantly doubt.

I love being second, if we were 18th I'd still love it at that would still exceed my expectation of this year. But i always have to look at things and strive for more. Be content with your own happiness but for you it's pointless to question the questions of people who look at a glass half empty and who can't be content themselves.

Like i said Redhyde...not a dig.

I struggle to deny how any of us cant be content with how things are going.

You have always made positive and good posts, and your opinion is your opinion.

As for i have not seen the past?

I promise you i have........... :innocent06:

Because he's a far better player than either of them and GJ seems to agree as shown by his giving him a long contract.

I know, and it pains me to say that on this occasion i think GJ's wrong :o

A 3 year deal does indicate he wanted Brooker to progress the club into the championship. But if we finish top ten, then i don't think Brooker would progress us to the next level in the way Elliot, Sproule, McIndoe can.

Like Noble had until a couple of weeks back? I guess you'd have said Fontaine, McCombe, Basso, Orr, Johnson, Sproule, Wilson, McAllister, Vasko and Skuse all couldn't cut it at the start of the season too?

Remove Mcallister, Sproule, & Vasko from that list. Mac n Sproule have played in the Scottish Prem for decent teams up there, (bout the level of the championship), and Vasko and Sproule are internationals. then your comments are accurate. If you read my posts over the last few months, I have said all the players you mention could cut it in the Championship bar Wilson, and Johnson minor (whom I have seen justify his position on a number of occasions, and done little on others) . However the team has gelled from the start, with the new bods. Will Brooker make a difference?

Brooker has to get the match fitness real quickly. And I have yet to be convinced Brooker can either-maybe he will, and I'll be very pleased, maybe he wont, and I'll not be happy as I want our team to succeed- end of. no sentimentality. no axe to grind.nothing else. Christ I was one of the few defending him when Stewart n Bridges were coming in

I guess I imagined the nearly 30 games he played in last season.

Fair shout, the season before. Last season? Naaah, don't think so.The team were just as good without him during the run in how many goals did he get? He is a striker, I'm led to beleive. They are there to score. If they don't, they aint performing, simple. If the rest of our team who are chipping goals in left right and centre, suddenly dry up, where do the goals come from?

Qualified medical staff?

Have been known to make mistakes, a bit of a human fault really. No one is infallible.

you what? strikers score goals, thats why they are there and Trundle did, last season, and probably the season before too.

Brooker was our best player for two seasons. Noble is a great footballer but he's not exactly Mr fit and available either. Calling him a better player than Brooker is tenuous at best.

Brooker our best player? we'd have to disagree on last season at least. Personally I thought Carey, McCombe, McAllister, Noble, and Bradders had a better last season than Brooker

I think you forget exactly how much better our team has always performed with Brooker in it.

On occasion he has, on many others he has not. Again, we agree to disagree

Players take longer to come back as they get older, and this problem of Brookers is hardly a new one. I have nothing against the bloke, but I have serious doubts if he can ever acheive a significant impact in the Championship, particularly the longer the season goes on before he arrives back in. And I seem to remember you defended another player who failed to have an impact either. Sometimes it don't work out, sometimes it does. cold light of day, BCFC may not be able to risk keeping him on, which is the point of it all

Archived