IGNORED

How Fickle This Forum Is.

Robbored

Just three or four games ago I replied to a post by saying that I was concerened about City's strength in depth and what would happen if both Elliot and Carey were out at the same time. On another post I asked questions about our million pound player and whether he was up to it.

On both occaissions I got slated and accussed of being 'negative' and 'always trying to put City down'.Some numpty even sent me an abusive pm.Some one else said 'get on yer bike'

But..... take a look now at the threads over this last week or so.

Serious questions that I hinted at back a while are now being asked.Threads like 'how are we fourth?' and comments like 'we only have four good players'.

How quickly people get sucked in by the league position - its as if thats the only thing that the team should be judged on.When City were grinding out results how many fans looked at how those results were being achieved? Not many is the answer.

Cheese posted a thread recently comparing City this a season to Luton last season.He took some fearfull stick but I actually though that is was a perfectly appropriate comparison and a well thought out post.Those with rose tinted spectacles didn't agree.

Truth is that City have played well in the odd match but haven't managed to perform consistantly well for a sequence of games.Good results were achieved at Coventry and against Sheffield United but apart from those two games City have spent lots of time defending for dear life.How City hung on against Southampton for 45 mins was nothing much short of a miracle.The City net has had a charmed life in lots of games.Unfortunately those charms went awol at Ipswich.

My point is that fans should try to keep a balanced view and look beyond the results.

I think the majority of city fans are realistic in that they know we wont get automatic promotion this season and are thankful that we have got so many points on the board. Were going to have games where we are well and truely beaten but have to dust ourselves down, and get on with it.

totally agree, too many people believe there own hype on here,

we are NOT a top championship team, we have started like a race horse, but we will suffer defeats in this league against the like of Ipswich and Charlton

4th now, but will still be happy just to be in this league next season,

remember a years back Millwall were top at Xmas, but relegated by May

I think the majority of city fans are realistic in that they know we wont get automatic promotion this season and are thankful that we have got so many points on the board. Were going to have games where we are well and truely beaten but have to dust ourselves down, and get on with it.

Amen to that. I find myself not really knowing what to say when people her in London ask if our position is a fluke. On the one hand I agree with Robbo that at times our goal has lived a charmed life and it could easily have been different. But then again I really don't think we've played above ourselves, we can do better and then who knows. With the exception of West Brom, Ipswich and 20 mins of Wolves I've not been very impressed with the quality we've played - but hey maybe thats us. All in all I'm delighted with what we've got and I'm much more confident about the season than i was at the start - and not just because of the points we've already got.

I agree with you to be honest. I said I was completely unsure of the Trundle move before it even happened and still think the same. Definately agree about if Elliott was out but Carey? I think we got that one covered with McCombe and Vasko about.

If you are not judged on results and if you are not judged on league position, I struggle to see how else you can judge a football team? But I do understand your point. Frankly though I don't care how it is achieved if we get to the promised land. City achieved promotion last season without playing the prettiest football, in fact at times we were down right lucky. We still went up because results and league position do mean everything.

Apart from when he thought Gary Johnson was no better than a Conference manager, you mean?

Here we go again. At the time that was Robs opinion!!!! Yes funny that this ''forum'' has them...... Everyone on here has an opinion about something, and I;m sure everyone has been wrong.

Its plain to see that Rob is a true Bristol City fan and its getting boring hearing everyone slate him.

Here we go again. At the time that was Robs opinion!!!! Yes funny that this ''forum'' has them...... Everyone on here has an opinion about something, and I;m sure everyone has been wrong.

Its plain to see that Rob is a true Bristol City fan and its getting boring hearing everyone slate him.

Defender of the wronged strikes again :superman:

Seems I've rattled your cage darling....

Not at all,I've just noticed in your previous few posts you've jumped to the defense of two individuals who in all honesty in my opinion are perfectly fit to speak for themselfs. You've obviously taken it upon yourself to police the forum. Well done you :laugh:

That make's me smile....Darling :death:

Not at all,I've just noticed in your previous few posts you've jumped to the defense of two individuals who in all honesty in my opinion are perfectly fit to speak for themselfs. You've obviously taken it upon yourself to police the forum. Well done you :laugh:

That make's me smile....Darling :death:

I'm glad I make you smile love.

an 'I was wrong' admission would help

Why would he have to admit he was wrong? If everyone said sorry for being wrong the place would be full of ''SORRY'' threads.

Because it was a stupid thing to say, it was bitterness over the fact his mate got the bullet and as ever he seeks to put the boot into GJ at every opportunity in the vain hope he may be proved correct.

Because it was a stupid thing to say, it was bitterness over the fact his mate got the bullet and as ever he seeks to put the boot into GJ at every opportunity in the vain hope he may be proved correct.

I think we both know thats never going to happen. GJ is probably the best thing thats ever happen to this club in recent history.

Just three or four games ago I replied to a post by saying that I was concerened about City's strength in depth and what would happen if both Elliot and Carey were out at the same time. On another post I asked questions about our million pound player and whether he was up to it.

On both occaissions I got slated and accussed of being 'negative' and 'always trying to put City down'.Some numpty even sent me an abusive pm.Some one else said 'get on yer bike'

Serious questions that I hinted at back a while are now being asked.Threads like 'how are we fourth?' and comments like 'we only have four good players'.

How quickly people get sucked in by the league position - its as if thats the only thing that the team should be judged on.When City were grinding out results how many fans looked at how those results were being achieved? Not many is the answer.

Cheese posted a thread recently comparing City this a season to Luton last season.He took some fearfull stick but I actually though that is was a perfectly appropriate comparison and a well thought out post.Those with rose tinted spectacles didn't agree.

Truth is that City have played well in the odd match but haven't managed to perform consistantly well for a sequence of games.Good results were achieved at Coventry and against Sheffield United but apart from those two games City have spent lots of time defending for dear life.How City hung on against Southampton for 45 mins was nothing much short of a miracle.The City net has had a charmed life in lots of games.Unfortunately those charms went awol at Ipswich.

My point is that fans should try to keep a balanced view and look beyond the results.

if u want to moan and not get slated go and support the team the other side of the river, then you'll have something to moan about :innocent06:

So true.

Norwich away is a perfect example, for the first 20 minutes we got hammered and really should of been 3 down by half time, the luck was with us that day and because we won 1-3 many just assume all is well.

I was in a pub in town when a member of my family called to tell me the result at Ipswich, to be honest I wasn't overly surprised, it had been coming for a while .

:fish: My thoughts are that fans should type their own thoughts and not be guided by others, :surrender: (however important they are).

Great post Robbored, I have been on the recieving end of some slatings on here, but mainly of my geographical location rather than my opinins. :innocent06:

So true.

Norwich away is a perfect example, for the first 20 minutes we got hammered and really should of been 3 down by half time, the luck was with us that day and because we won 1-3 many just assume all is well.

I was in a pub in town when a member of my family called to tell me the result at Ipswich, to be honest I wasn't overly surprised, it had been coming for a while .

I reacted the exact same way :innocent06:

Great post Robbored, I have been on the recieving end of some slatings on here, but mainly of my geographical location rather than my opinins. :innocent06:

Think thats a tad OTT Belfastcityfan.

I think yer a bloody good poster, a fan who gets to as many games a season that the back pocket can afford.

But sometimes you :mf_sleep: in to a hole.

Its a forum cocker, Robbered gets sum serious s h i t e on here at times, deserved or not, the fellow is big enough to take it, and so should our Irish mate from across the sea!!!!!

They're my comments but if you read the entire thread you'd see why they were made. It's actually a pretty similar point to this about reactionary behaviour.

Cheese posted a thread recently comparing City this a season to Luton last season.He took some fearfull stick but I actually though that is was a perfectlyappropriate comparison and a well thought out post. Those with rose tinted spectacles didn't agree.

I thought it was an appalling post based on spurious unfounded half comparisons but each entitled to their own.

But it's hard for you to make that comment after the memorable GJ conference manager quote where you did the opposite. Like Pete Doherty warning us about not taking drugs it doesn't seem right and people will always bring it back to that.

I think everyone can see and knows that we've been "lucky" in a couple of games if not more. But i don't know that if other teams miss chances if that constitutes us playing badly but also the other teams playing badly. Our general play has been poor but the other teams finishing has been worse, so whoever scores the most goals IMO deserves to win. Therefore we deserve to be in 4th position. The situation can be looked at in many ways. It could be said that we're getting results when not playing well which is the sign of champions or that we're lucky and poor.

People praising Elliot and slating Trundle/Johnson is the same thing and i personally won't go over the top with unqualified praise or criticism, but then in football you have to judge on form to decide who's in the team and decide your current analysis of the state of play. Football is about reactions, and the forum is a great way of putting them across.

And the reactions are a snapshot, so of course they seem fickle. How do you feel about the club now? would produce immensely different responses depending on the last result while How do you feel about the club generally? would probably be mainly positive I hope.

And the reactions are a snapshot, so of course they seem fickle. How do you feel about the club now? would produce immensely different responses depending on the last result while How do you feel about the club generally? would probably be mainly positive I hope.

Thats my point exactly.Lots of fans simply don't think any further than the last result.Now thats either stupid or fickle or maybe both but when the more balanced posters point out anything thats not upbeat or positive they get slated.

Generally most of us would say that we are very happy with the FC overall. Things are pretty good all round.We are playing in the CCC and watching good football almost every week.The club is in good hands with Lansdown/Dawe as majority share holders. Plans are afoot to either expand AG or build a new staduim and our media profile has increased.We have a decent and some would say media friendly manager who has taken the team into fourth place.

GJ is a manager who builds a team where every player works his hardest for the team. This season we will come up against quite a few team who are man-for-man better than us ( Charlton, WBA, Watford and more). What we lack in quality and ability we have to compensate for in terms of work rate, attitude and team spirit but this has it's limitations, as we graphicaly saw at Portman Road. If a quality team hits it's stride from the start then we will struggle( and have done) to get a foothold in the game and rely on our defence to hold out until we can work our way in.

If this league was about quality players then Sheff Utd would in the top 4, not us. The fact that they aren't is because Robson struggles to get the best out of his players. GJ on the other hand gets more out of our players than he has a right to. I suspect we will finish somewhere in mid table because we will lose players like Elliott to injury/suspension and will struggle to replace them and the strengthy in depth that bigger clubs have will tel as the season unfolds. Also, as we saw at Ipswich, if too many players underperform at the same time we will get punished more often when up against the better teams at this level.

The start we've had to this season has suceeded everyones expectations. However, apart from the lads who play football management games on playstation, I think most fans would be more than pleasantly surprised to see us in our current position come Easter but realistically expect us to be a bit lower down the table than that.

Archived