IGNORED

Gj On Radio Bristol

KnowleUtd City

Home games for me are Wimbledon - Ashton Gate and back.

Sometimes I'll drive to my parents place in Downend if we're staying down for the weekend so for me the home games can be a bit of a trek.

I don't leave before the end, I don't feel the 5 mins makes all that much difference to be honest.

BUT it's a personal choice, I pay the same amount of money as the bloke who leaves on 80 or 85 mins, he is perfectly entitled to leave when he wants.

As I said before, I personally don't do it and won't do it but I'm not going to sit here and tell someone what they should do.

By the way, I had a chat to my old man about it and he said people left the stands 10 mins before the end of games when he was going to the ground as a teenager. He is now 65.

Point there is that its always happened, always will happen. It happens all over the country, I've read threads about this on messageboard of tens of clubs in our league.

It ain't going to change and we should concentrate on getting more people down to the ground and getting behind the team.

Complaining about this issue is a lot of hot air really.

The early leavers were no different today than any other day and it's down to the design (or lack thereof) of the Dolman stand. Most people that leave their seats early don't actually leave the ground early anyway they just block everyone else's view which is a different issue.

Exactly, the majority of fans that do leave their seat, watch the end of the game at the bottom of the dolman.

Their choice.........period.

Not alot that can be done about that...

Actually I'd be interested to know where alot of fans come from to watch home games.

It wouldn't suprise me if alot of the people leaving came from surrounding counties and arent in fact Bristolian football fans.

Just a thought.

:sleeping:

Well, wherever they come from they won't have to bother coming at all when the TRUE fans get what they really want, classy, action packed bottom of League 2 football with glamour ties against Dagenham, Barnet Rochdale et al, in front of 4000 desperately loyal fans who never leave before the final whistle...ever. It was so good last time around in Division 4, so much better then when we were in the old First division, bring back the glory days of '82 I say, when TRUE City fans held sway and only had to compete with tumbleweed blowing around the terraces...mind you, the damned tumbleweed didn't know the names of all the players in the squad so was worthy of a good kicking more often than not. Fancy not knowing what number Steve Neville was wearing...ungrateful useless tumbleweed... I showed that tumbleweed a thing or too with my Doc Martens I can tell you - and when it blew out of the ground 5 minutes early I chased it into Ashton Park and gave it a good kicking.

I don't have a problem with people leaving early its their choice, I don't understand it but its up to them. I have a problem with those that go to leave and then block the view of those who arent leaving early.

Exactly Dolls, its the people who hang around that are the problem not the ones that actually leave.

Its absolutely ###### disgusting that people leave early. Ok people do have reasons sometimes, other commitments but I'm affraid if what you are doing is affecting the mentality of the manager and the team then you are a disgrace.

You are selfish people who just want to get out earlier. And why?

I leave when the whistle goes, and i am still on the m32 within 10/15 minutes.

Then on your way out you stand and watch, **** off if you wanna go early don't get in other peoples way.

Thats the point.

If we are down 3-0 like we were at WBA then the most demoralising thing for the players to see is the fans clearing off 20 minutes before the end of the match. It has a negative effect on the crowd and players also it makes us look bad that some people clear off when things go bad and don't stay till the end and clap the players off.

Also i was dissapointed at that match because when mcindoe was subbed only around 20 people stood and clapped and around 34-40 clapped sat down. This makes the player feel bad and looks like we arent interested. I know that we were 3 goals down and when we got a goal back people were singing but that made me feel sorry for the player involved.

I love how people get so wound up when others don't conform to their way of thinking. I can understand people being annoyed if their view is being blocked though.

I love how people, who spend so much time on here expressing their undying love and support for all things Bristol City, get so wound up when the manager expresses his disappointment that so many of them see fit to leave early rather than support their team to the final whistle.

Yesterday was spoiled for me by a man who had come along to his first game of the season with his old man who is a regular.

To be fair some of what he was going on about - Wilson cutting in etc I kinda of agreed with but he went on about it ALL game it was so annoying just having someone go on in your ear.

"Why is he playing 4-5-1?"

We have been playing it on off for a year and its 4-4-1-1 !

"Why is Byfield up on his own he shouldnt be playing he is not a lone man."

True he was being bullied by the back two but he is there because he deserves it has score goals.

Amongst others and he went on and on about it just spoiled the afternoon for me really made me feel nervous. I was glad as most of the moaners seemed to have left our area.

I think G J is out of order critisising our fans,i didnt see a 1/4 of our fans leaving before the end of the game on sat, a lot of fans leave their seats in the Dolman and stand down at the front,you will always get some fans leave early no matter what the score is.

Remember Hollowhead started moaning about the Plymouth fans just before he left.

I think G J is out of order critisising our fans,i didnt see a 1/4 of our fans leaving before the end of the game on sat, a lot of fans leave their seats in the Dolman and stand down at the front,you will always get some fans leave early no matter what the score is.

Remember Hollowhead started moaning about the Plymouth fans just before he left.

Have you also noticed he always does it after we lose, the last time he had a dig was after the 0-2 defeat to Leicester.

85 mins gone 2-1 down against prem opp. in the greatest cup comp in the world and we should be staying trying to get behind out team. I couldnt believe the amount of people leaving and it must be de morilising (!) for the team. My mate is a Middlesboro fan who was there and he said that the middlesboro fans were laughing at the fact that the city fans had "given up hope" and were rushing home to do the milking ( his words ).

Some people have to get out early for trains and buses etc but surely not as many as the amount of early leavers onSat. The stewards need to clear the isles at teh bottom of tjhe dolman to stop fans coming down and standing in front of others. GJ has every right to have a moan about it.

Have you also noticed he always does it after we lose, the last time he had a dig was after the 0-2 defeat to Leicester.

he was absolutely right to do it on both occasions.

the crowd was pathetic on saturday, and the thousands giving up and and leaving the Dolman were an absolute ****ing disgrace. I don't accept any of the excuses - the team were only one down against a far superior side, and everyone needed to be as positive and as loud as me, frankly.

Fast beginning to believe that Bristol and a significant percentage of Ashton Gate just doesnt deserve premiership football. It was understandable to be negative and quiet when we were shite, but the club look to have finally turned that around... shame that Bristol and a lot of the fans are still stuck in the past.

He's absolutely spot on...this has been happening since I can remember and it's a disgrace.

I've always felt that apart from maybe 10,000 or so die hards, BCFC are a lot of people's second team behind Man u, Liverpool etc. This was summed up with the recent thread asking who people's '2nd' teams were! On our forum as well!!

This problem is going to is going to look a lot worse if we get a new, bigger stadium and / or ever get to the prem.

I'm impressed that somebody finally has the minerals to say something. Good on you GJ!! Who knows, this might be what spurs him on to eventually leave??

I would be keen to know what community initiatives are underway to bring in fans of the future

I agree with GJ. A match against premiership opposition, with the club doing exceptionally well in the league - we should sell out quite easily.

With it only taking a second to score a goal, I find it crazy to leave early with 1 goal in it. Not to mention its probabaly very demoralising for the players to see all those people leaving. Its like they havent got faith in them scoring a equaliser!!

I agree with GJ. A match against premiership opposition, with the club doing exceptionally well in the league - we should sell out quite easily.

With it only taking a second to score a goal, I find it crazy to leave early with 1 goal in it. Not to mention its probabaly very demoralising for the players to see all those people leaving. Its like they havent got faith in them scoring a equaliser!!

It's always happened!

My old man talks about it being the case 40 years ago, it ain't going to change now.

You can't make people stay in the ground.

It just looks a lot worse in the Dolman than say the Williams or Atyeo because the way the stand is structured you have to pour down the steps and head to the far left or far right.

Such is life and we shouldn't get so worked up about it.

any other team than Boro and it would have probably sold out.

i bet not many of those other attendances dropped by 50% in the last 10 mins because team had the audacity to be one goal down on a prem side.

Ours didn't even drop by 5%.

It's only been said about a dozen times but most of these imaginary "early leavers" from the Dolman just go down to pitch side and watch the remaining few minutes. They have done so for decades.

It's got nothing to do with being 2-1 down to a Prem side, it's got to do with the Dolman stand taking 15 minutes to get out of after the final whistle.

It's pretty obvious that this isn't going to change whilst the stand has only two exits so the incessant hand wringing and superfan posturing is absolutely pointless.

When we get a new stadium no doubt the issue will evaporate overnight - exactly the same number of people will still leave early but you won't get a big congregation at the front of the stand because access will be properly designed.

I can understand GJ's reaction but perhaps next game he should poke his head out the tunnel 10 minutes after he's headed down there and note the people still queueing to get out - then he'll realise it's got nothing to do with faith in the team.

Ours didn't even drop by 5%.

It's only been said about a dozen times but most of these imaginary "early leavers" from the Dolman just go down to pitch side and watch the remaining few minutes. They have done so for decades.

It's got nothing to do with being 2-1 down to a Prem side, it's got to do with the Dolman stand taking 15 minutes to get out of after the final whistle.

It's pretty obvious that this isn't going to change whilst the stand has only two exits so the incessant hand wringing and superfan posturing is absolutely pointless.

When we get a new stadium no doubt the issue will evaporate overnight - exactly the same number of people will still leave early but you won't get a big congregation at the front of the stand because access will be properly designed.

I can understand GJ's reaction but perhaps next game he should poke his head out the tunnel 10 minutes after he's headed down there and note the people still queueing to get out - then he'll realise it's got nothing to do with faith in the team.

don't agree. I saw hundreds - maybe thousands - of people leave the Dolman by the side exits with 10 mins to go, and i havent seen similar numbers when City are winning or playing well.

don't agree. I saw hundreds - maybe thousands - of people leave the Dolman by the side exits with 10 mins to go, and i havent seen similar numbers when City are winning or playing well.

If you think people left the Dolman because we were losing, why did noone leave the other three stands then?

The vast majority of people who left their seats did not leave the ground before the final whistle and this happens EVERY game.

Archived