IGNORED

Ivan Sproule

leepeacock's50phead

Am still not that convinced with Ivan, of course he scored a good goal on Sat but the boy simply refuses to make runs without the ball.

Maybe I've been spoilt by watching Scotty Murray for too long but why does Ivan refuse to make a run down the wing without the ball at his feet? He has pace to die for but he rarely looks for balls to run on to.

I also noticed he went in hard with feet up on the half way line against Colchester, he got up and apologised by there have been red cards for that sort of thing in the prem recently and he might have been a tad lucky.

As for a team of Ivan Sproules, I shudder whenever I hear the song!

He's a different player to SM, that is where the problem lies. He prefers the ball to feet rather than infront of him.

I thought he had one of his best games for us on Saturday personally. Very effective on the LW, scored one and should have won a pen.

I think there have been times when he hasn`t looked for the balls to run to. And times he has genuinely made those runs for the ball. For me i`m convinced he`s be a big asset for us already. He`s already established himself as 1st choice on the right-midfield and his pace alone causes panic. His crossing and positional sense could improve alot. But he`s young and can definatly make that improvement to his game.

He's a different player to SM, that is where the problem lies. He prefers the ball to feet rather than infront of him.

I thought he had one of his best games for us on Saturday personally. Very effective on the LW, scored one and should have won a pen.

I understand what you are saying but they are still both wingers with pace, how different can they be?

I think there have been times when he hasn`t looked for the balls to run to. And times he has genuinely made those runs for the ball. For me i`m convinced he`s be a big asset for us already. He`s already established himself as 1st choice on the right-midfield and his pace alone causes panic. His crossing and positional sense could improve alot. But he`s young and can definatly make that improvement to his game.

I quite agree, although Ivan is a little rough around the edges he is a very useful asset for us. Ok, he hasn't set

the world alight but to have a natural winger on each side is worth it's weight in gold. We have looked a lot more

balanced with McIndoe and Sproule,both natural wingers, this season even though neither have been spectacular.

Sometimes he can look a bit lazy but every player wants to knock it through for him to run on to and if you're

doing that all game you're going to get knackered out no matter how fit you are.

I understand what you are saying but they are still both wingers with pace, how different can they be?

Ive said before that we have not seen the best of Sproule yet. His pace is his most dangerous weapon...but at the minute, he doesnt quite know how to use it to full effect. He is learning all the time, I think you will find he has only been a professional for a few years...so he will need time to adapt to life at this level, and he is getting better all the time.

I personally thought Saturday, him and McIndoe were excellent, one of Sproules best performances yet. When they switched sides, they were cutting inside all the time and causing Colchester all sorts of problems.

He is getting better and better all the time, and don't forget.....it took Murray a good few seasons before he hit the kind of standard that has made him a fans favorite here. He joined us in 1997 and didnt make a massive impact until about 3/4 years later

For what it's worth I think Sproule, and McIndoe, are, in some senses, the main reason for our good form, and league position this year. I'm not saying they've been our best players, I'd toss up between Elliot and Fontaine for that, but they've provided what is so necessary in this league and was so absent from the team last year ... pace. Even when not at their best their very presence causes teams to defend against us differently ... I'm interested that whenever national, unbiased pundits are asked t opick out key figures in out success, Sproules name is never far from the top. Wouldn't be city though if, wotever impact they made, some people wern't saying, at best, that 'they weren't convinced' Personally I'm not convinced bout that Ronaldo chappie, I'm sure I saw him misplace a cross once.

Think Sproule has done quite well for us so far and had one of his best games to date on Saturday. He has the pace to trouble defenders and when on the ball is very dangerous and can certainly cause alot of problems. He could do with making use of his pace better off the ball with some more runs but overall I have been quite impressed.

One of the reasons Sproule had such a good game on saturday was down him getting far more ball.That was facilitated upto a point by he and McIndoe swopping wings at times.Sproule was on the left wing when he cut inside to score.

Theres no doubt that when he's quiet its alot to do with how often he gets the ball.Being a winger he's not the sort of player who goes looking for it.No point being a winger if your in midfield looking for the ball.

I agree-The first half he was very good and tied Phil Ilfil in knots, he scored a good individual effort and was foul by Ifil only for the ref to bottle making the right decision, 2nd half he faded like he seems to in most games but overall I thought he did well.

How people can keep harping on about Murray is beyond me. Yes hes done well for us in past seasons and is a wonderful patron for club but he along with others simply arent good enough at this level to command a starting line up. Sproule has geniune lightning pace that Murray could only dream of in his hayday playing in a lower division where the standard, play and certainly defenders skill is lower (Just ask a certain striker who is struggling against superior defences....)

Some have to face up to the fact that although Murray is a good squad player, he is not a starter for the team and Sproule (although he is very frustrating at times) is by far the better option in the long term....

Quite simple really. Murray's one of these players that likes running in behind and onto through balls, probably from his days as a striker in his youth. Sproule's much more of an 'old school' winger who likes hugging the touchline and looking to beat the full back. That's why he prefers the play into his feet so he can skin a man as opposed to running in behind. Two toally different players IMHO.

How people can keep harping on about Murray is beyond me. Yes hes done well for us in past seasons and is a wonderful patron for club but he along with others simply arent good enough at this level to command a starting line up. Sproule has geniune lightning pace that Murray could only dream of in his hayday playing in a lower division where the standard, play and certainly defenders skill is lower (Just ask a certain striker who is struggling against superior defences....)

Some have to face up to the fact that although Murray is a good squad player, he is not a starter for the team and Sproule (although he is very frustrating at times) is by far the better option in the long term....

Agree Sproule is the long term option but at the moment he isnt half the player Murray was in his heyday. Definitely over rated by some on here & to say Murray isnt up to this level I would disagree. He hasnt had nowhere near the amount of appearances as Sproule but still bagged 2 quality goals which is all Sproule has got so far!

Judge him at the end of the season.

Ivan can be a frustrating player at times but he has a knack of scoring hugely important goals.

He has the potential to be a great player but he's still raw, if he was the finished article he wouldn't be at Bristol City, he would be playing in the Premiership or at a higher level.

He's here, he's there, he's every ######in where, Ivan Sproule, Ivan Sproule!

Murray has actually scored 3 league goals this season in 2 starts and 10 subs appearances.

You always get an end product with Murray and he'll weigh in with 10 goals a season.

Tough call between him and Sproule, but it's good to know that we can always have one of them coming off the bench if required.

Agreed.

I am a big fan of Murray, but I think he is better for us coming off the bench, his age is against him, despite the fact he thinks he is still only 21l!.

He is always going to look like scoring, but Ivans pace causes defences to panic and he is improving with every game.

Its good that we have got them both on our books, wouldnt want either one of them playing against us, and IMO Ivan can learn alot from Murray which could make him a great player..

Am still not that convinced with Ivan, of course he scored a good goal on Sat but the boy simply refuses to make runs without the ball.

Maybe I've been spoilt by watching Scotty Murray for too long but why does Ivan refuse to make a run down the wing without the ball at his feet? He has pace to die for but he rarely looks for balls to run on to.

I also noticed he went in hard with feet up on the half way line against Colchester, he got up and apologised by there have been red cards for that sort of thing in the prem recently and he might have been a tad lucky.

As for a team of Ivan Sproules, I shudder whenever I hear the song!

Work with couple of Hibs fans who said he will be a future star and needed to go to a club that could

move him on in the game . Sure we can do that and need to remember he's still a young lad . For all the praise rightly heaped on him , he can be frustrating . Pace to a defending side always dictates that it is difficult to play a high back line and I just wish we could , at times , knock it down the channel and let him specifically ( or Mcindoe more often ) run onto it .

At worst defenders , with Sproules speed , would need to make a slide tackle where there is always a possibility of a card .

We would then of course need to make sure someone is in the box for the option of the cross .

He doesn't do tap-ins!!!Much better display Saturday imho, a real threat, playin with passion and purpose.I can see how he became such a cult hero at Hibs.Needs to be more consistent, but his pace and direct running is refreshing

He still is a cult hero at Hibs mate. I came on hoping to see a link to his goal, which I was told is brilliant, but there was a great big sign up warning anyone from posting the link. Never mind. I really just came on to see how Ivan was doing and it seems that most of you are in favour of him.

Consistency was never Ivans strong point. I posted on here when he was moving and said as much then but you are right about his pace and direct running. He can also finish when the mood takes him as well. All in all he's electric and when he is on form you definitely get your moneys worth out of him.

I hope he keeps progressing with you guys but if you find you don't want him we'll take him back.

All the best for the rest of the season :yahoo:

Very strange thread. Appears to be questioning the ability of one of our key players, whilst we are second in the championship.

Quite often we as fans are over critical of our players, but i think the way to look at this is to compare Sproule to any other right wingers in this league. How many would you swap him for? Knighy at Wolves? That would be all surely. He has settled very well, and is an asset to our side.

We have always had a history of attacking wingers, get behind the lad and he'll be a huge success.

Archived