IGNORED

Come On City Stop Talking The Talk If You Can't

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate
When a player who will add significant value to the team is available and willing to come, and for the right price.

Trust me, Gary Johnson is not refusing to sign a striker purely to spite you. He either has something in progress or he can't find anyone suitable. Either way he's earned the right to our support with his actions thus far.

I support him but I think he is human not god like and he makes mistakes the same as ever other manager.

I have been waiting Nealy 2!/2 years for him to sign a quality striker you cannot tell me in all that time there is not somebody we could not have signed

I support him but I think he is human not god like and he makes mistakes the same as ever other manager.

I have been waiting Nealy 2!/2 years for him to sign a quality striker you cannot tell me in all that time there is not somebody we could not have signed

Of course he does, but he seems to make fewer than any we've had in a long time. And almost certainly fewer than any of us on here would make, so quite what you think gives you the right to say what is and isn't a mistake is beyond me.

You can't simply go out and buy quality just like that, you have to build slowly and find what you can along the way. You might have been waiting two and a half years for him to sign a quality striker but in that time he's signed players that have turned the club from league one relegation material to a team heading for the Premiership. Anyone else would say that was nothing short of miraculous but you have to focus on the lack of a 'quality striker' whatever that means.

We have no idea of what constraints Gary has to work under. Maybe it came down to a choice between signing one striker or 5 other players and the 5 other players helped get us up? How long do you think your 'quality striker' would have hung around for in the bottom half of league one? Not long that's for sure.

So basically you are saying we could have had Bas Savage and Steve Phillips up front last season and we'd still have gone up.

Or do you think maybe 17 goals from Jevons and 15 from Showunmi helped a little bit?

7 league goals from jevons inopen play in 30+ games and very little else with regards to contribution in a promotion winning team, why do you think GJ did'nt give him a chance this year? we also played a laonee irish striker who has never scored in over 30 games in professional football, we ended up playing many games, even at home, with 1 up front and 5 in midfield simply because of our strike-force was so poor and ended up using McCoombe up front as "plan B", i would love to say lets leave things as they are and go with what we've got but as this forum is about opinions & debate my view is that we need to go that extra yard and bring a decent striker in, Ebanks-Blake scored again for Wolves tonight, if only.........

So then when is the time right to buy a striker most on this forum think January is not right there even some on here think the summer season is not right so when is the right time ???

When the Moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

When the right player comes along - one with the right attitude as well as the requisite skills as a striker - for the right price. That's when you buy.

The problem with the transfer window is that it has the same effect on player prices as school holidays have on the price of Mediterranean vacations - you have to question whether either are affordable or value for money. GJ obviously thinks that the strikers that have been available are not a good fit for his team for whatever reason - and I'm prepared to trust his judgement. You on the other hand, despite stating that you support him, are amongst the minority which believe him to be making a big mistake ("faffing around" I think you stated on another thread).

The fact is he's the boss and you (thankfully) are not. Long may he reign.

it may be that what a players value is, is not the problem ......

its more likely what we would have to pay in Salary....

if we bring a strong pacy forward in at a much higher weekly wage than our existing players .... we would have a very happy AY, and 20 other less than happy players .......

an expensive forward playing in an unhappy team would not be the goal scoring genius you would say we need,

any idiot can spend money .... look ay Leicester and Fulham, and to a point Charlton

but to spend wisely needs a clever man.

i can remember when in Fred Fords reign, we had Jack Conner our centre half, being played as centre forward, then we had real forward problems .

I've no doubt, GJ, has plans for every eventuality ,

i also think LT and DB playing as a front two, started to look promising last saturday, a few more games playing together and they may surprise even AY

:englandsmile4wf:

it may be that what a players value is, is not the problem ......

its more likely what we would have to pay in Salary....

if we bring a strong pacy forward in at a much higher weekly wage than our existing players .... we would have a very happy AY, and 20 other less than happy players .......

an expensive forward playing in an unhappy team would not be the goal scoring genius you would say we need,

any idiot can spend money .... look ay Leicester and Fulham, and to a point Charlton

but to spend wisely needs a clever man.

i can remember when in Fred Fords reign, we had Jack Conner our centre half, being played as centre forward, then we had real forward problems .

I've no doubt, GJ, has plans for every eventuality ,

i also think LT and DB playing as a front two, started to look promising last saturday, a few more games playing together and they may surprise even AY

:englandsmile4wf:

but when you look at his record as Bristol City manager, he has proved that you don't need a quality striker to be a succesful team.

Guest red ken 2
I an fed up with the management telling us there is money to spend then they target another over the hill 30 some think.

If they are serious about us going up then show it with some Quality not trying to do it on the cheap.

If we did go up we would be in the same position as we are now looking for another forward if we are going to buy get some one with some mileage on the clock.

I know the happy clappers will be gritting their teeth but this is the worst forward line that we have ever had or very nearly.

Please don't tell me to look at the league tables it cuts no ice with me our Forwards apart from Byfield are so poor its unbelievable.

If we can't buy quality don't any one get Brooker Back and struggle on we don't want another Trundle on our hands

Same again then, should have gone with Amy to rehab.

Guest ashtonyate
but when you look at his record as Bristol City manager, he has proved that you don't need a quality striker to be a succesful team.

I think you do and the higher you go the better they must be in the end I think lack of quality up front will be our undoing

I think you do and the higher you go the better they must be in the end I think lack of quality up front will be our undoing

But you posted the same thing throughout last season and were proven wrong. Why do you still hold that belief?

So let's get it right. You want a

lipsmackinglightningquickbigandstrongtallheadingballwinninghardshootingambidextrousfa

stdribblingunderthirtywentygoalaseasonpoaochingcheaptobuy......s t r i k e r

Fo all of you that remember the old Coca Cola advert.

Sorry couldn,t help myself.

It was pepsi.

No its padantic but better than the stupid thread were in .

Guest ashtonyate
But you posted the same thing throughout last season and were proven wrong. Why do you still hold that belief?

yes i did and we did go up but are you tell me that clubs spend million on millions on striker for fun are you saying we are never going to have a quality strik forse even if we go into the prem don't think so

Sorry couldn,t help myself.

It was pepsi.

No its padantic but better than the stupid thread were in .

What a daft mistake, but it's down to word association , as I was drinking a can of Coke while I was typing the post.

Thanks for pointing it out, and not pedantic at all

When it comes to buying players let's trust in Gary Johnson........... probably the best manager in the world. For those of you who remember the classic Guiness adverts. Doh!

What a daft mistake, but it's down to word association , as I was drinking a can of Coke while I was typing the post.

Thanks for pointing it out, and not pedantic at all

When it comes to buying players let's trust in Gary Johnson........... probably the best manager in the world. For those of you who remember the classic Guiness adverts. Doh!

Trying to help a fellow Downend person.

And 1 did notice the deliberate mistake.

I an fed up with the management telling us there is money to spend then they target another over the hill 30 some think.

If they are serious about us going up then show it with some Quality not trying to do it on the cheap.

If we did go up we would be in the same position as we are now looking for another forward if we are going to buy get some one with some mileage on the clock.

I know the happy clappers will be gritting their teeth but this is the worst forward line that we have ever had or very nearly.

Please don't tell me to look at the league tables it cuts no ice with me our Forwards apart from Byfield are so poor its unbelievable.

If we can't buy quality don't any one get Brooker Back and struggle on we don't want another Trundle on our hands

Worst forward line and we are joint top of the Championship.... grow up.

Guest ashtonyate
all i'm saying on this post is, Thank god AY does not manage or ever have a role in the club. End of

I have one of the most important rolls at the Club I am a paying Customer and I will be here longer then the Manager

Guest ashtonyate
Worst forward line and we are joint top of the Championship.... grow up.

never mind where we are you a valuate our foward line tell what you think of Trundle Byfield and Showunmi then give me the run down on our foward line.

I am told that I don't back up what I say so you tell me there qualities

never mind where we are you a valuate our foward line tell what you think of Trundle Byfield and Showunmi then give me the run down on our foward line.

Hello, i am a bit worried that after reading this thread it seems that i MUST have been transported back to 1982. Are we bottom of the 4th division still. I bet like me,you can remember those days ? That was when we had every reason to moan,groan etc etc. Just what is your problem? we are in the best position for 30 years plus and YOU STILL ARENT HAPPY :rofl2br::rofl2br: . You are unreal, have you not got one POSITIVE thought you could share with us :rofl2br: ?.

Guest ashtonyate
Hello, i am a bit worried that after reading this thread it seems that i MUST have been transported back to 1982. Are we bottom of the 4th division still. I bet like me,you can remember those days ? That was when we had every reason to moan,groan etc etc. Just what is your problem? we are in the best position for 30 years plus and YOU STILL ARENT HAPPY :rofl2br::rofl2br: . You are unreal, have you not got one POSITIVE thought you could share with us :rofl2br: ?.

Are you happy with the Forwards I am the one who is being positive here I want some new young blood up front its the poster who keep telling me we can afford or get a player are the negative ones

Are you happy with the Forwards I am the one who is being positive here I want some new young blood up front its the poster who keep telling me we can afford or get a player are the negative ones

No. What people are saying is, Gary Johnson is looking to enhance the forward line if the right player can be brought in at the right price who will fit in with the superb dressing room mentality he has created.

I can't speak for everyone, but I trust him to do just that. And if he doesn't bring anyone in, it will be because the right player at the right price wasn't available, so he decided to stick with the trusted players he already has at his disposal, rather than risk unsettling what he's created through one panic buy he isn't sure about on all fronts.

I trust his judgement, based on results and the spirit he has created since he arrived at the club, and I really don't know what foundation anyone has for not doing so.

Come on, one positive thought is all i am asking :juggle:

They contribute and they score goals.

Do they do enough of both?... probably not

Are we joint top partly due to their efforts?.... obviously

So, as GJ says, if a player can be bought that will enhance what we have and bring something positive to the dressing room he will try and bring him in. Otherwise we should all be POSITIVE about where we are in the league; our highest position in 28 years and those guys you mention are part of that success.

We all know you are never satisfied but try and be, just this once. Sit back, have a cuppa tea and look at the Championship Table. This IS dreamland. Try and enjoy it without making a darned good effort at upsetting the applecart with your negative vibes.. however you look at it they are negative and of a criticism level wholly unjustified at this time.

Guest ashtonyate
They contribute and they score goals.

Do they do enough of both?... probably not

Are we joint top partly due to their efforts?.... obviously

So, as GJ says, if a player can be bought that will enhance what we have and bring something positive to the dressing room he will try and bring him in. Otherwise we should all be POSITIVE about where we are in the league; our highest position in 28 years and those guys you mention are part of that success.

We all know you are never satisfied but try and be, just this once. Sit back, have a cuppa tea and look at the Championship Table. This IS dreamland. Try and enjoy it without making a darned good effort at upsetting the applecart with your negative vibes.. however you look at it they are negative and of a criticism level wholly unjustified at this time.

The trouble with dreamland is some times the dream turns in to a night mare and my night mare is us losing out because we have forwards who struggle to score.

Scoring is only apart of the problem no one is holding the ball up so it comes back putting the defence under pressure as on Saturday

The trouble with dreamland is some times the dream turns in to a night mare and my night mare is us losing out because we have forwards who struggle to score.

Scoring is only apart of the problem no one is holding the ball up so it comes back putting the defence under pressure as on Saturday

Why do you keep talking as though Gary Johnson isn't looking to improve the forward line, when we all know he is?

I give up. :disapointed2se:

Archived