IGNORED

Home Game At The Bernabeu?

mozo

When Wimbledon was a Premiership club (and still called Wimbledon) they wanted to move away and play their home games in Dublin. The FA refused permission and found a rule stating your home games must be played in your own country.

(OK we all know about Berwick), that same rule should therefore prevent Man U v Arsenal being played abroad. Or will the FA cave in again and allow the sponsors to change or even break rules for the convenience of the sponsors?

Unfortuantly the aim is to play half a world away, the middle east, south asia ect ect.

A total and utter farce, and one finger to the fans that have helped keep clubs going over the years.

One suspects that the Premier League are more concerned about consumers than fans. How long before Manchester United it would be more viable to play all of their home games at Shanghai or Seoul...

As long as there's an EasyJet or Ryanair route to the game then I don't care! :kiddie:

In all seriousness, it's an absolute farce. The Premier League already makes enough money as it is and there's no logic behind doing this. They should be reducing the amount of games played in the top flight to help the national team not creating a circus.

the worst thing is that there is a high chance this is all being orchestrated by Richard Scudamore - who is one of our own

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7184076.stm

Never mind Bernabeu - it will be Singapore and Kuala Lumpur - just following the money

Totally ridiculous idea. If they approve it then it will take away all the attraction of promotion to the top flight, also give a lot of credence to expanding the premier league to 2 divisions as well as it would generate so much cash that they existing Prem clubs just wouldn't be able to spend it all. It hardly as if they are strapped for cash now?

Arrogant greed. What with this and the QPR away game problems and and England football manager who can't even speak english I am rapidly falling out of love with the ever less beautiful game.

Hmm, Wigan vs Fulham in Dubai anyone?

Can't really see this happening. The big clubs already play lucrative friendlies abroad (Man U's trip to Saudi, or wherever, the other week) and will continue to do so. The smaller teams wouldn't be enough of a draw to warrant travelling there for a few games.

There has been news today that following the NFL playing games in London, the Premier League is to follow suite and play 10 games a season in other major cities around the world.

I was just thinking - if this was to effect City one day (you never know...!) then would this be a good thing if one of Citys games was played in a major city in the world?

I personally think its not great for the average fan to have to travel thouasands of miles to follow their team but on the other hand it would be a great day out! Beats a cold miserable tuesday night trip to some team way up north! Plus it would do wonders to raise the profile of the club in places like China and North America.

There has been news today that following the NFL playing games in London, the Premier League is to follow suite and play 10 games a season in other major cities around the world.

I was just thinking - if this was to effect City one day (you never know...!) then would this be a good thing if one of Citys games was played in a major city in the world?

I personally think its not great for the average fan to have to travel thouasands of miles to follow their team but on the other hand it would be a great day out! Beats a cold miserable tuesday night trip to some team way up north! Plus it would do wonders to raise the profile of the club in places like China and North America.

"the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated". What a fantastic quote from some faceless twwaatt representing Premier League plc or whatever they are called. That is what "fans" and "supporters" now represent to the Premier League. They are merely "market share", "units" and "customers". Football at the highest level is no longer a sport. Wouldn't it be great for middle class supporters to follow their team in the Carribean whilst the working class mug who has saved up for his season ticket every single year of the last thirty has to sit at home and listen to Twentypence on Radio Bristol!!! But hey, as long as the profile of our club is raised in some Northern outpost City in China, then who gives a f00k?

I just hope that when the inevitable implosion of football at the highest level occurs (the point at which all the Russian and American owners f00k off as quickly as they f00ked on!!) that we can take advantage of it rather than be affected by it.

Why not have FA Cup quarter & Semi finals abroad? It could do with a new direction.

Leave the English League alone...

Why not the League Cup Final?

Imagine city went on a amazing cup run in the fa cup and got drawn with Man Utd/Liverpol/Arsenal, and then we had to travel to hong kong to see it??!!

Why not the League Cup Final?

Imagine city went on a amazing cup run in the fa cup and got drawn with Man Utd/Liverpol/Arsenal, and then we had to travel to hong kong to see it??!!

Good point.

But I would rather miss the FA Cup than missing out on a trip to Old Trafford in the Premier League.

It's a crazy idea.

Difference between doing the likes of this and exporting NFL games is that f00k all people play 'GridIron' outside america (and NONE to that level), so you need to promote the sport itself, not just te flippin' 'brand'. I like American Football (and have for a while) so having the odd game over here is great for me and does a good job hooking the odd new fan/kid who'll want to get involved. It's a bit different having one game a season abroad (only the uk so far this time around) because you get so few 'away' fans anyway and a team travelling from New York to the east coast for example travel only fractionally more distance to London!

Domestic football is a totally different animal. It's played all over the world to a pro level and it has wide-spread involement in international compertition already, meaning the ONLY reason it would need to played abroad (and, let's face it, we're not talking about Bolton v Reading, it'll just be the 'big 4') is for the money. ###### greedy ***** at the 'Prem' have only just got the biggest ever internatonal TV deal in history, why do they need even more? Bad enough that manure went to the middle east and took money from a bunch of dictators and human rights abusers to play a pointless mid season friendly (i didn't expect any better from them) but now clubs wil have to fly to the far east, maybe more than once.

Plus the fans abroad who'll have waited all year for their one match might expect the over hyped 'amazing' football the overlords at the 'Prem' hype up and i bet they'd be mighty displeased if someone like Sunderland came and nullifed Chelsea in a 0-0. i expect a few brown envelopes might be passed to the odd defender and goalkeeper, just incase...

When Wimbledon was a Premiership club (and still called Wimbledon) they wanted to move away and play their home games in Dublin. The FA refused permission and found a rule stating your home games must be played in your own country.

(OK we all know about Berwick), that same rule should therefore prevent Man U v Arsenal being played abroad. Or will the FA cave in again and allow the sponsors to change or even break rules for the convenience of the sponsors?

What do you think? This is an era when football, especially the Premiership is all about money, you've only got to hear the top clubs such as Man U whinge about the need for a mid season break then fly over to Saudi (or somewhere like that) to play a meaningless testimonial for vast amounts of cash, oh and no doubt take the opportunity to sell a few thousand replica shirts.

The pressure that would be exerted from these clubs' sponsors would also be immense, so yes I can see the FA permitting this to happen.

It's a crazy idea.

Difference between doing the likes of this and exporting NFL games is that f00k all people play 'GridIron' outside america (and NONE to that level), so you need to promote the sport itself, not just te flippin' 'brand'. I like American Football (and have for a while) so having the odd game over here is great for me and does a good job hooking the odd new fan/kid who'll want to get involved. It's a bit different having one game a season abroad (only the uk so far this time around) because you get so few 'away' fans anyway and a team travelling from New York to the east coast for example travel only fractionally more distance to London!

Domestic football is a totally different animal. It's played all over the world to a pro level and it has wide-spread involement in international compertition already, meaning the ONLY reason it would need to played abroad (and, let's face it, we're not talking about Bolton v Reading, it'll just be the 'big 4') is for the money. ###### greedy ***** at the 'Prem' have only just got the biggest ever internatonal TV deal in history, why do they need even more? Bad enough that manure went to the middle east and took money from a bunch of dictators and human rights abusers to play a pointless mid season friendly (i didn't expect any better from them) but now clubs wil have to fly to the far east, maybe more than once.

Plus the fans abroad who'll have waited all year for their one match might expect the over hyped 'amazing' football the overlords at the 'Prem' hype up and i bet they'd be mighty displeased if someone like Sunderland came and nullifed Chelsea in a 0-0. i expect a few brown envelopes might be passed to the odd defender and goalkeeper, just incase...

I'll tell you what, if it did happen I would absolutely love it if Sunderland or Birmingham flew all the way over to Miami or Beijing, stuck eleven men behind the ball, booted the ball into row Z at every opportunity and frustrated the hell out of the other "Franchise" they were playing on the day and 50,000 Yanks/Chinese for 90 minutes. Hopefully it would kill the game stone dead over there and we could all get back to watching real football in proper footballing countries. And not to mention it would be a well earned point for the underdog!!

I would like to know how this supports anyone but the top four clubs. Only the top four clubs will have a decent fan base abroad to fill a stadium meaning it will be like a home game for them. Imagine man u vs derby in asia. I might be wrong and there could be 20000 derby supporting asians but I'm sure there will be more man u supporters. Also, how is it fair the top five are not allowed to play eachother? If the points go towards league then surly it has to be anyone against anyone. Also why have more matches when the players complain already? I could sit here and type for hours, why this idea is wrong and as a younger supporter I really cant understand why they cant leave the game as it is i feel i have missed out on the best football years already.

At this rate the football league would be better off completely abandoning all ties with the prem and make the championship the top division at least we would then keep our traditions and pride(well what is left anyway).

how f00king stupid. this is possibly the worst idea ever thought of for football. take it away from the real fans who watch the teams week in week out and give it to the fans who watch on the t.v in a foreign country. how is this in anyway fair on fans who have not missed a game for years and years and make them miss it just so they can line there pockets with money. i hope the fsf do something to prevent this. :grr:

Archived