IGNORED

Home Game At The Bernabeu?

mozo

I'll tell you what, if it did happen I would absolutely love it if Sunderland or Birmingham flew all the way over to Miami or Beijing, stuck eleven men behind the ball, booted the ball into row Z at every opportunity and frustrated the hell out of the other "Franchise" they were playing on the day and 50,000 Yanks/Chinese for 90 minutes. Hopefully it would kill the game stone dead over there and we could all get back to watching real football in proper footballing countries. And not to mention it would be a well earned point for the underdog!!

I totally agree, was mainly putting it in my post to illistrate that if the Premiership is so enslaved to cash that it would whore it's games out to the higest bidder, what's to stop them just fixing it to make a little more? Nothing would be scared after a move like this.

I also have read some of the posts on BBC 606 from fans of certain clubs (guess which...) who are from other countries, claiming that English fans are being xenophobic and such about this. I've never read such b***ocks. Maybe if these 'loyal' fans from the US, far east, middle east africa and anywhere else were so keen on 'soccer' as a sport they should put their time/money/energy into supporting their local sides, thus raising the standard and entertainment value of their domestic game.

Why spent millions bringing Arsenal vs. Chelsea to you when you could help in developing your own national game to the same level for less? It just shows that a large slice of 'supporters' who are 'huge fans' of certain clubs are closer to celebrity watchers, and that the game means little to them. It's not about sport, but image. They want to see Rooney and Owen in the flesh, they don;t care about the football they play.

There has been news today that following the NFL playing games in London, the Premier League is to follow suite and play 10 games a season in other major cities around the world.

I was just thinking - if this was to effect City one day (you never know...!) then would this be a good thing if one of Citys games was played in a major city in the world?

I personally think its not great for the average fan to have to travel thouasands of miles to follow their team but on the other hand it would be a great day out! Beats a cold miserable tuesday night trip to some team way up north! Plus it would do wonders to raise the profile of the club in places like China and North America.

Come on guys - we are the 51st state in everything we do - USA = Capatalism at it's worst = money money money = profit at all costs and any way to make it = b***ocks to supporters if you can make money from TV rights etc etc = soon football will be four quarters with massive commercials on giant screens and the chance to feed more fast food to the obese = more profit from advertising and fast food = money money money = profit at all cost.

Can you honestly say you haven't seen this coming. The premier league don't give a toss about anything other than profit.

The FA are no better so blatantly playing in the new away kit at Wembley last night with some feeble excuse - the real reason - because it's on terrestrial TV and every kid who watched will be pestering their parents to go out and buy it = money money money = profit at all costs.

I say it's good news because I have spoken to many people lately all over the place who are going to watch the championship teams because they are fed up of what is now a premier league of teams full of random european players with the local teams shirt put on them.

I reckon the Championship is set to grow and grow with people turning off the blatant profiteering of the premier league and it's millionaire primadona players (signs of that last night with the England players being boooed)

The premiership won't need supporters because they will make so much from TV rights, advertising and fast food feeding the ever increasing obesity epidemic - like I say 51st state!

Footie is spelt MONEY now and has been for a while; wouldnt be to excited about getting to the " promised land" myself :disapointed2se: how long before clubs have piped atmosphere and polite applause from empty stadiums; beamed of course all around the world.

Most of the top clubs are made up of foriegn players anyway, cant see what difference which country they play in makes.

As over heard in Tescos tonight, from two small kiddies, " IF B.C.F.C go up to the prem I am going to ask my dad to get me a season ticket".

Well young men they will be in short supply if we do, even shorter if as I expect, the posh seats are expanded to allow even more corporate influx. :disapointed2se:

Guest MaloneFM
Footie is spelt MONEY now

I always though it was f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l.

Forgive your uncle but 'footie' is am Australian term for that bloody silly game where they duff each other up in a circle while chasing the egg. And as for the 'saacer' word. Don't get me started.

Back to the point. All I heard from the interviews was the word 'product'.

It has finally dissapeared up its own arse.

Oh and which Tescos old chummy? If it was Golden Hill near Muller road then they are proving to be as fickle as ever. I hope you boxed the little sod's ears with your basket for milking his old man for the ticket then not going to the game against Blackburn because Ryan Giggs isn't playing.

One suspects that the Premier League are more concerned about consumers than fans. How long before Manchester United it would be more viable to play all of their home games at Shanghai or Seoul...

Man U play all their games abroad - can't happen soon enough if you ask me!

Seriously, this might just be the thin end of the wedge. If it does happen, in direct contravention of a rule that stopped Wimbledon playing i Dublin ( as another poster pointed out) then how long before other rules get changed so that a draw is no longer a result , i.e. overtime or penalty shootouts decide every "drawn" game? Or how about the premiership having no relegation?

Thesed ideas sound far fetched I know , but just how many English Clubs are now owned by Yanks and look at how American Football operates and how soon before those owners start to excercise influence on the way the premiership operates? Unfortunately with the premiership money talks, and very loudly at times.

GREED, GREED and more GREED!!!

I can't believe the Premier clubs have been moaning for years about how many games they have to play, and yet when someone mentions playing an extra game abroad they lick their lips and druel with the thought of all the extra money coming in.

Apparently, the "extra" money would be used to invest in better facilities and better players !!! Come on, there's plenty enough money in the game to improve the facilities ten fold, the powers that be just need to stop dishing out the massive salaries.

I bet if you halved the weekly salary of every premiership player they'd still be able to live like Royalty. I can't understand how ten years ago the top players were earning say £30,000 a week, and now they're on £150,000 a week. Regardless of their talent, I cannot see how the players today are any better than the players ten years ago, and inflation surely hasn't been that high has it?

It's all spiralled out of control, and now they've blead the English fans dry, they're looking to bleed other fans from across the World.

The formation of the Greed League (Premiership) was the thin end of the wedge as was predicted at the time. Sod the fans, lets grab as much money as possible. It was all summed up quite sadly by a video clip on this forum some time ago entitled ''The death of football, the birth of a monster''. How apt.

I personally think it's a good idea.

The premiership is the best league in the world, one of the main reasons being because it's supported by the majority of the world. I watched Arsenal recently and its unbelievable what they can do with a football. The more money the premiership 'machine' makes, the more players we can attract. I guess the difference is between myself and some other posters is that I watch football for football, as a form of entertainment and not for any kind of "tribal" passion, but for some unknown reason, people aren't willing to accept this 'concept'. In a modern globalised world full of capitalistic nations, why is this causing such an outrage?

Guest RyanBCFC

I have already posted this on football talk(non-city) but thought I would copy it onto here too.

From what I have read on various websites and forums %99.99 percent of british fans think this is a terrible idea.

And for all they say this, do u think anyone will do anything about it ?

If someone was to start a petition for example I think it would be great evidence in the fans support not to play overseas.

Your thoughts ?

:englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag::englandflag:

The premiership is the best league in the world, one of the main reasons being because it's supported by the majority of the world. I watched Arsenal recently and its unbelievable what they can do with a football. The more money the premiership 'machine' makes, the more players we can attract. I guess the difference is between myself and some other posters is that I watch football for football, as a form of entertainment and not for any kind of "tribal" passion, but for some unknown reason, people aren't willing to accept this 'concept'. In a modern globalised world full of capitalistic nations, why is this causing such an outrage?

Aaaaaah, when is this myth going to be exposed?

How many of the players in the last World Cup final played in the "best league in the world"? I forecast the 3 top teams for the "best league in the world" for the past 4 years. I'm confident my prediction will be correct again this year. It's not a league, it's a 3-horse race with some hangers on. Granted those top 3 teams play superlative football but there's a lot of games not involving them.

To paraphrase earlier quotes "how much entertainment do you get out of Wigan vs Fulham"? Even the people of Wigan don't go and watch that game. Derby vs Newcastle, anyone? Middlesborough vs anyone?

The best league in the world is the Championship :) It's the fourth most watched and can anyone confidently tell me who the top three will be, even at this late stage? Exciting and well balanced - like a proper league.

Do you go to all of City's games?

:argh:

are you a Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea 'fan' ???

I concur with everyone on here (and pretty much every football fan in the country) - this is madness. I remember when it was suggested a year or so ago that drawn league games should be decided by penalty shoot outs to make football 'more exciting.' Not surprisingly, virtually everyone thought it was idiotic, and it was quietly dropped. Now, everyone thinks this is idiotic but there is one issue which will give the idea legs - money. What a shame that sport has come to this.

The other thing that strikes me is that the implementation of this will be completely unfair. Someone mentioned Man U in Shanghai will be a 'home game.' Who decides who plays who? What happens if we're in the prem when this happens and we have to play Man U three times and our rivals scrapping to avoid relegation (or striving for a Champions League place :innocent06: ) get Watford three times. How on earth is that fair, and how will the premier league sort it out?!

I watch any premiership game that I can, including Wigan vs Fulham. They are still one of the top 20 teams in the country, and as I said before, I watch football for entertainment.

I used to go to every game, until I moved up north and lived abroad for a few years.

I have never contributed financially (directly) to any of the top teams, but I love to watch Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal on TV or at a stadium. To reiterate a previous point: it's entertainment.

I have, however, contributed a large amount of time and money to supporting BCFC, I am no less a fan than anyone else.

How can anyone not appreciate the football from Man U, Arsenal or any other premiership team?

I hate the idea of having ENGLISH team games over in a foreign country. I really don't get it. I mean, the NFL had one game over here but the F.A. are planning on re-vamping the whole league for foreign countries. It's all about money, nothing else. The money in sports is getting even more out of control every single day.

A gullible product of the Sky marketing. The Premier League is sterile and totally predictable. Will the Top 4 be Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool by any chance? And who could have predicted Derby, Wigan, Fulham, reading, Sunderland and Birmingham to struggle - Even Mystic Meg could have got that right! What is the fun of watching Man Utd versus Derby? It's like Amir Khan v Dale Winton at boxing! It is no longer sport, just a grotesque parody. The sooner that the Big 4 sod off to some Euro League the better, then we might have a proper League, and we won't have footballers nearly choking at "only" being offered £55,000 per WEEK.

As for the daft idea, it devalues football, the fans hate it, further proof that the Premiership is more Corporate Greed than sport, totally contravenes FA rules, but Sky and the Big 4 want it, so it will go ahead. Main hope is FIFA outlawing it, as it will detract from domestic Leagues in the chosen venues.

Try watching Conference football on Sultana Sports, not technically great, but you get some cracking games.

Because football is SPORT and not CAPITALIST ENTERTAINMENT that's why. You do not seem to have any concept of the history of football and as such you appear to be a lapdog to the people running the Premier League. People like you are happy to pay as much as the "market dictates" as long as YOU get YOUR OWN entertainment fix and stuff everyone else who cannot afford the CURRENT MARKET PRICE (despite having been a loyal "customer" for the last 42 years!!). When the Premier League say that the EPL "market" is becoming "saturated in the United Kingdom" what they are really saying is that they realise that they have totally shafted the fans in this country (with the exeption of four or five clubs who are maintaining their support) and they now need to find a new way of attracting support.

The game is becoming Americanised and the likes of you will get the sport you deserve in the long run. Franchises, no relegation from the EPL, quarters to suit advertising, draft picks, £1 million per week celebrities, time-outs and 90 minutes action taking three hours to complete. I bet you can't wait.

Because football is SPORT and not CAPITALIST ENTERTAINMENT that's why. You do not seem to have any concept of the history of football and as such you appear to be a lapdog to the people running the Premier League. People like you are happy to pay as much as the "market dictates" as long as YOU get YOUR OWN entertainment fix and stuff everyone else who cannot afford the CURRENT MARKET PRICE (despite having been a loyal "customer" for the last 42 years!!). When the Premier League say that the EPL "market" is becoming "saturated in the United Kingdom" what they are really saying is that they realise that they have totally shafted the fans in this country (with the exeption of four or five clubs who are maintaining their support) and they now need to find a new way of attracting support.

The game is becoming Americanised and the likes of you will get the sport you deserve in the long run. Franchises, no relegation from the EPL, quarters to suit advertising, draft picks, £1 million per week celebrities, time-outs and 90 minutes action taking three hours to complete. I bet you can't wait.

I think you're missing the point, for me personally, football is entertainment, the entertainment factor for watching the premiership comes from the quality of it. In fact, if everyone watched premier league the way I do (wont elaborate), then there would be no choice but to lower prices. In an ideal world the premier league would be on BBC or ITV free of charge, just like in it is in China. I never pay for it, but i love watching it.

One Arsenal season ticket holder has (allegedly) already rung the club for a discount on next year's ticket as he can only aford to watch "home" games played in North London. :disapointed2se:

Meanwhile, I jave heard the clubs will receive £250 million pounds(presumably between them not each) for adopting this idea. OK get promoted, receive £10 million just for the foreign home games and City will be well placed for being at least a strong Championship team and have that super new stadium etc. :fingerscrossed:

I would like to know how this supports anyone but the top four clubs. Only the top four clubs will have a decent fan base abroad to fill a stadium meaning it will be like a home game for them. Imagine man u vs derby in asia. I might be wrong and there could be 20000 derby supporting asians but I'm sure there will be more man u supporters. Also, how is it fair the top five are not allowed to play eachother? If the points go towards league then surly it has to be anyone against anyone. Also why have more matches when the players complain already? I could sit here and type for hours, why this idea is wrong and as a younger supporter I really cant understand why they cant leave the game as it is i feel i have missed out on the best football years already.

At this rate the football league would be better off completely abandoning all ties with the prem and make the championship the top division at least we would then keep our traditions and pride(well what is left anyway).

Absolutley agree,the premiership is turning it's back on English football so hopefully the football league can make the break from the Premier League and we can revert to the old English League 1st division.

The premiership would obviously rather have other countries fans watch our clubs as opposed to our own,you know the people who make football what it is.

Be interesting though how many of the big clubs supporters would react,Manchester United lost around 5000 fans when the Glaziers took over,I think they will lose more if they think the club is turning its back on them in favour of a foreign market

I think you're missing the point, for me personally, football is entertainment, the entertainment factor for watching the premiership comes from the quality of it. In fact, if everyone watched premier league the way I do (wont elaborate), then there would be no choice but to lower prices. In an ideal world the premier league would be on BBC or ITV free of charge, just like in it is in China. I never pay for it, but i love watching it.
Brilliant article on this at Guardian Unlimited

Interesting quote from later in the above article;

It is an irony that when a billion people worldwide, comparatively cheaply, watch Arsenal play Manchester United, here Sky's exclusivity means even the biggest matches pull in only about two million viewers. The BBC, available to all, beat that with the live FA Cup second-round tie between Harrogate Railway and Mansfield Town a few weeks ago.

The "quality" of the Premier League that you mention is also a bit of a myth. It is not a constant. Yes, certain clubs play dazzling football now-and-again, but everyone below those pushing for european places (and sometimes including them) will often play for points above quality because of the desperate need for survival. The only way to rectify this situation would be to francise the Premiership, thus enabling clubs in it to play without fear of relegation. If this was to take place I would not even watch free-to-air footage of these teams, let alone shell out for Sky or Setanta.

Brilliant article on this at Guardian Unlimited

Interesting quote from later in the above article;

The "quality" of the Premier League that you mention is also a bit of a myth. It is not a constant. Yes, certain clubs play dazzling football now-and-again, but everyone below those pushing for european places (and sometimes including them) will often play for points above quality because of the desperate need for survival. The only way to rectify this situation would be to francise the Premiership, thus enabling clubs in it to play without fear of relegation. If this was to take place I would not even watch free-to-air footage of these teams, let alone shell out for Sky or Setanta.

Interesting comments but I still think it's not a bad idea. BTW I actually like to watch teams like Reading, Fulham, Middlesborough etc as they are still 'good' teams, or at least they are in the top 20 in England. The drive for good football can even get people sacked e.g. Big Sam etc. Maybe I have a greater interest in football itself than some other people as I find most teams entertaining. I have rarely been bored by the so-called premierbore...

Interesting comments but I still think it's not a bad idea. BTW I actually like to watch teams like Reading, Fulham, Middlesborough etc as they are still 'good' teams, or at least they are in the top 20 in England. The drive for good football can even get people sacked e.g. Big Sam etc. Maybe I have a greater interest in football itself than some other people as I find most teams entertaining. I have rarely been bored by the so-called premierbore...

Hang about. I have an intense (and sometimes life restricting) interest in football of all types; domestic, european, North/central/south american, asian, african, league/no-league/international; you name it, I probably spent far too much time enjoying it. HOWEVER if you're trying to suggest it is a "drive for good football" around the world that is behind the decision to move (competative) domestic matches abroad I think you are being tremendously naive. This has nothing to do with exporting a sport, that has already been done very successfully by the league. The concept that the grassroots in Malaya and South Africa would benifit from this is foolish; those in most need of support (the leagues, national assoitations, young players) get nothing out of it.

Most Premierhsip teams already play in these countries in the pre and post season, a fact I have no problem with at all. It grows their 'brand' without directly damaging their relationship with their domestic fan base. The huge difference is when you start moving meaningful games to the otherside of the world, especially in the way proposed. Rugby League fans who've already experienced this with games going to Cardiff each year resent it intensely and it has lead to serious resentment from season ticket holders and supporter's organisations. And that is a sport resigned to francising, something that I feel football fans would resist in a for more intense fashion.

I understand that those abroad who feel a bond with a club want to see them live, but I supect that doing this would damage the Premiership's relationship with the league and national assoiations (not just the English FA but others).

Hang about. I have an intense (and sometimes life restricting) interest in football of all types; domestic, european, North/central/south american, asian, african, league/no-league/international; you name it, I probably spent far too much time enjoying it. HOWEVER if you're trying to suggest it is a "drive for good football" around the world that is behind the decision to move (competative) domestic matches abroad I think you are being tremendously naive. This has nothing to do with exporting a sport, that has already been done very successfully by the league. The concept that the grassroots in Malaya and South Africa would benifit from this is foolish; those in most need of support (the leagues, national assoitations, young players) get nothing out of it.

Most Premierhsip teams already play in these countries in the pre and post season, a fact I have no problem with at all. It grows their 'brand' without directly damaging their relationship with their domestic fan base. The huge difference is when you start moving meaningful games to the otherside of the world, especially in the way proposed. Rugby League fans who've already experienced this with games going to Cardiff each year resent it intensely and it has lead to serious resentment from season ticket holders and supporter's organisations. And that is a sport resigned to francising, something that I feel football fans would resist in a for more intense fashion.

I understand that those abroad who feel a bond with a club want to see them live, but I supect that doing this would damage the Premiership's relationship with the league and national assoiations (not just the English FA but others).

The drive for good football bit was I response to the people who feel the premiership is boring, and not connected to the teams going abroad to play. The point was that even teams like Newcastle who haven't won anything in years still are in pursuit of good football, as are Spurs to some extent.

The drive for good football bit was I response to the people who feel the premiership is boring, and not connected to the teams going abroad to play. The point was that even teams like Newcastle who haven't won anything in years still are in pursuit of good football, as are Spurs to some extent.

I'd argue that wasn't the actual reason Big Sam lost his job and that the idea chairmen sack managers because they don't play attacking 'attractive' football is nigh on totally false. Plus, one goal since his departure says it all really. Boardroom politics and ichy trigger fingers are rarely realted to anything other than results.

Big Sam lasted eight years at Bolton playing his brand of football and they were one of the more consistant sides outside the 'big four' over that time. And I don't see Benitez getting the sack, despite his teams playing 'negative' on a regular basis. Their win last time out was awful, they were possibly the worst performing team I've seen win a game this year. Watford's rubbish football this year and Sheffield United's league position is testiment to the over-rated nature of teams connceted with the Premiership. And Derby are shit. I've seen pub players with much more fight and technique than several of their squad, I am not joking.

The total myth of the Premiership's consistant quality has never been more obvious when you watch matches such as this. To be quite frank the poverty of quality is quite alarming if you watch more than just MotD or the 'big games'.

would this include the Derby's, the Sunderlands, the Swindles who have got a pitiful handfull of points and goals? the half empty Wigan, & Fulham "stadiums"

Do you really think the Spanish and Italian leagues wont do the same further eroding any meaningfull competition in Europe?

Its the dumbest idea Ive heard in years- it will weaken the emerging African game, damage further the S American game, and worse, wreck the game in the UK- no relegation from the Prem is bound to come to keep the likes of Reading, Wigan, Watfart, Southampton, Coventry WBA, Barfdiff,and us, away from the pot of gold, not to mention the majority of Europe.

I'd be very interested in what the Bundesliga's fans think of this "scheme", as the second highest supported league after the Prem, with a high proportion of the core fans still attending, ie WORKING CLASS

A lot is said comparing this to US "sport", but there is a crucial difference. The US has regulations to try and level the quality of teams, so that it remains competitive. The Big 4 want the closed shop aspect, but they want their top spots to remain constant, to keep their European cash-cow going. If you want a comparison, look at Scotland, and that will be he Premiership in 10 years time, except that we will have 4 Clubs out in front rather than 2.

I find it very sad that so much money is coming into football, and yet hardly any is reaching grass roots level. All that this money will do is further enrich players and agents. And yet more overseas imports into the Premiership - It's not only hampering the development of English players, but letting other nations players develop, further diminishing the quality of the England team.

McFootball?

Archived