IGNORED

Home Game At The Bernabeu?

mozo

Guest MaloneFM

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Used-Grass-Go...s/dp/0140244220

Its called 'They Used To Play On Grass' by Gordon Williams and Terry Venables (yes THE) and although fictional is about a team that has a plastic pitch and plays in the British league against Rangers with the Europeam league due to start the following year.

It was written in 1970 when Venables was still at QPR.

But back to the subject.

If Peter Scudamore of the FA, who is a city supporter (yes THE) wants to pick a fight with amongst others the Budesliga,Seria A and all the other European governing bodies as well as the J League and possibly the NFL because it will be the American football season they will be chipping in to as well as FIFA and UEFA the PFA and probably jesus christ himself I can't see them winning.

Or even a hope in hell of it happening.

The fact all 20 clubs appear to have agreed to it, means to me it will happen at least for one year, so we might as well look at the postives, i.e the money

My only concern is how do they pick who plays who? as if you play Man U in the 'extra' game rather than Wigan your at a disadvantage compared to the rest, suppose it will just be the luck of the draw.

Guest MaloneFM

All clubs have agreed to it (apart from a Mr Ferguson of Manchester who is most uninpressed that he wasn't included in the discussion and a Mr Moyes of Liverpool who I understand has some degree of influence as well) and so it will go storming ahead.

I'm sure that Blatter chap and that puny little tin pot organisation called FIFA will fall in behind the mighty Premier league. And as for UEFA, the PFA etc etc well they can just be ignored.

It wil be seeded teams. The big five against anyone elsewho comes out of the pot. So it will NOT be the Arse against the Chelse. The city staging the match will have to bid for it and they will be played as an extra game. So Manure against Fulham three times then. Super!

If it goes ahead.

Which it won't.

The premier league only has 4 teams worth noting, these clubs have the most money and the biggest fanbase, and if they want this to happen it will happen.

Man Utd opted out of the fa cup to follow the money once, and no one at the fa or premier league batted an eyelid. It will happen.

The premier league only has 4 teams worth noting, these clubs have the most money and the biggest fanbase, and if they want this to happen it will happen.

Man Utd opted out of the fa cup to follow the money once, and no one at the fa or premier league batted an eyelid. It will happen.

I'm the very last person to defend ManUre but I think you may have misrepresented them on this occasion. It was the (godawful useless) F.A. who insisted that ManUre go to the "World Cup".

I'm struggling to think of the fourth team?

The idea of playing games abroad only makes sense if a new super European or World league is created

over and above the Prem.

Goodbye Man utd , Chelski and the Arsenal and possibly Liverpool.

Remember some years ago now when the Chamions League was still known as The European Cup and was solely for League Champions? Certain Italian clubs demanded from UEFA automatic entry to the European Cup every year and various other clubs (Real, Munich, Man U etc) followed their example and threatened to form a breakaway Euro League if UEFA did not open the Euro Cup strong / famous teams who failed to win their own domestic league. FIFA & UEFA could have called their bluff and warned them if they broke away to form their own competition they would be banned from all other competitions and anyone who played for them would be banned from playing for any club outside that break away group or representing their country etc.

Needless to say, UEFA did not act strong, they backed down. Only a few years before the top 2 in Scotland, Holland and Portugal had tried forming a new leagu as they were too strong for the remainder of their own leagues and were told no and threatened with punishment by UEFA.

Just for the record, the number of clubs permitted to each country in the Champions League is not governed by the footballing strength of that league, but by the TV audience size!

Archived