IGNORED

Trundle's Pass

jimmy ateyo

What does he bring to the team without scoring goals or goal assists.......and don't give me the "creating space for others" ballicks?

He links play well, with good vision and often puts Sproule or McIndoe through behind the defence on the break who then create goals. He's got decent control and doesn't lose the ball often when compared to our other options up front. He is a very good crosser when he's out wide. He's usually double marked so there is certainly something in the "creating space for others" thing you keep on about. He's also quite enjoyable to watch with the ball at his feet.

I think the problem is that we've not played him in a role where he can get the ball to his feet facing goal. He's had more than half a dozen different partners up front, none for a decent run of consecutive games, and we've never seen him play for long with the more intelligent passers in Noble and now Carle. Trundle has looked best when he's running at players and every time we've started him he's had to play as the big striker. I'd like to see him get a run of five or six games next to Adebola.

I've posted all this before but apparently that means I'm a Trundle fanboi who think he's god. Not true. I've never once thought or said he's been great or done as well as I'd hoped but he's certainly not played anywhere near badly enough to justify a constant vitriolic slating.

He links play well, with good vision and often puts Sproule or McIndoe through behind the defence on the break who then create goals. He's got decent control and doesn't lose the ball often when compared to our other options up front. He is a very good crosser when he's out wide. He's usually double marked so there is certainly something in the "creating space for others" thing you keep on about. He's also quite enjoyable to watch with the ball at his feet.

I think the problem is that we've not played him in a role where he can get the ball to his feet facing goal. He's had more than half a dozen different partners up front, none for a decent run of consecutive games, and we've never seen him play for long with the more intelligent passers in Noble and now Carle. Trundle has looked best when he's running at players and every time we've started him he's had to play as the big striker. I'd like to see him get a run of five or six games next to Adebola.

I've posted all this before but apparently that means I'm a Trundle fanboi who think he's god. Not true. I've never once thought or said he's been great or done as well as I'd hoped but he's certainly not played anywhere near badly enough to justify a constant vitriolic slating.

That sums up the problem for Trundle, i've said it before and I'll say it again, wherever he's played at prior to City, he's been playing alongside big targetmen to play off, the likes of Andy Morrell and Rory Fallon, but strong men able to hold the ball up and lay it off. problem is Trundle hasn't had anyone like that at all to play with this season which has been his biggest problem, outside and around the box he's looks excellent and does many of the things that are required of a frontman, but he just never gets the ball in the right position,

Byfield has also had the same problems this season. We have spent most of the year hoping Brooker would come back and be the difference but the signing of Adebola who is an established targetman looks like the one hopefully to unlock the full goalscoring potential of both Trundle and Byfield, it's no shock that neither have lived upto their past billing and it's not down to both of them being "shit, rubbish, whatever" it's down simply to the fact we aren't playing to their strengths.

and has a played alongside a targetman at this level yesterday? NO

Naturally all footballers will have preferences regarding who they play along side but surely good footballers still get the results regardless of who is playing in the team?

Just seems like more excuses on his behalf too me!

Naturally all footballers will have preferences regarding who they play along side but surely good footballers still get the results regardless of who is playing in the team?

Just seems like more excuses on his behalf too me!

no, it's a fair and valid point, he's spent most of his pro career playing alongside a targetman and the result has been he's created and scored SHEDLOADS, he's yet to start for City alongside a targetman and has struggled for goals although in general his performances have been good, however the is no evidence and no reason to believe that playing alongside a targetman for us will bring the best out in a player.

excuses are pointing at some numbers and ignoring anything else and completely disgregarding why he hasn't scored more, some people just take the easy option and just say he's shit and then next for the next player to pick holes in.

Not if who is playing in the team affects what their job is. Michael Owen is a great goalscorer but pump direct balls at his head all day long in a 451 and he would score at about a tenth of the rate he would playing off a big player. Trundle is a player whose strength is running at players with the ball. Put it on his head with his back to goal and unsurprisingly he doesn't shine.

Well let's see if he serves me humble pie tonight then :tomato:

That sums up the problem for Trundle, i've said it before and I'll say it again, wherever he's played at prior to City, he's been playing alongside big targetmen to play off, the likes of Andy Morrell and Rory Fallon, but strong men able to hold the ball up and lay it off. problem is Trundle hasn't had anyone like that at all to play with this season which has been his biggest problem, outside and around the box he's looks excellent and does many of the things that are required of a frontman, but he just never gets the ball in the right position,

Byfield has also had the same problems this season. We have spent most of the year hoping Brooker would come back and be the difference but the signing of Adebola who is an established targetman looks like the one hopefully to unlock the full goalscoring potential of both Trundle and Byfield, it's no shock that neither have lived upto their past billing and it's not down to both of them being "shit, rubbish, whatever" it's down simply to the fact we aren't playing to their strengths.

Yeah, but Byfield has still scored far more than Trundle :innocent06:

no, it's a fair and valid point, he's spent most of his pro career playing alongside a targetman and the result has been he's created and scored SHEDLOADS, he's yet to start for City alongside a targetman and has struggled for goals although in general his performances have been good, however the is no evidence and no reason to believe that playing alongside a targetman for us will bring the best out in a player.

excuses are pointing at some numbers and ignoring anything else and completely disgregarding why he hasn't scored more, some people just take the easy option and just say he's shit and then next for the next player to pick holes in.

Lee Trundle is a talented footballer, abeit at lower levels. I don't question that, but is he good enough at this level, I don't think so.

I would love to know who said he was shit thou :noexpression:

Not if who is playing in the team affects what their job is. Michael Owen is a great goalscorer but pump direct balls at his head all day long in a 451 and he would score at about a tenth of the rate he would playing off a big player. Trundle is a player whose strength is running at players with the ball. Put it on his head with his back to goal and unsurprisingly he doesn't shine.

But if we changed are style of play earlier in the season to suit Trundle, do you think we would still be in the same position that we are in today?

If Trundle isn't good enough to adapt to how we have played this season he deserves to be keeping the bench warm and making cameos

Yeah, but Byfield has still scored far more than Trundle :innocent06:

Yes, but he is a poacher............if he scores goals then great, but if he doesn't then he offers very little else, where as Trundle is a goal scorer as well as having a creative insinticts when played in the right position with the right players.

Lee Trundle is a talented footballer, abeit at lower levels. I don't question that, but is he good enough at this level, I don't think so.

I would love to know who said he was shit thou :noexpression:

how can you judge on player on his ability though when he hasn't been given the chance to play with the right player? until he's actually had a run of a few games with Adebola, I still don't believe it's fair to judge him. Apart from his lacks of goals, he's shown to have more than enough ability at this level, but when he's working on his own up front or having to play up front with other poachers such as Byfield or Enoch, he's always going to struggle for goals.

But if we changed are style of play earlier in the season to suit Trundle, do you think we would still be in the same position that we are in today?

I don't think we need to change our style of play just so that Trundle can score more goals and make you happy - we're near the top and Trundle has played his part. I'm just pointing out that the very obvious reason for him not scoring as many goals is because of what we're asking him to do on the pitch.

If Trundle isn't good enough to adapt to how we have played this season he deserves to be keeping the bench warm and making cameos

It's got nothing to do with being good enough, it's just not the type of player he is, same as Sproule isn't a striker and Skuse isn't a right winger.

thing is we have been chopping and changing our formations all season and even midgame, when Noble gets to his 60mins then passout stage.

the thing is the change of tactics this season and the sole reason for playing 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 this season is mainly because we haven't had 2 forwards who compliement each well right for a forward line, so we had to move away from 2 up front, Enoch, Trundle and Byfield are all goalscorers and none of themexcel in the targetman role, Johnson himself has said that he wanted Enoch to work as the Targetman but it didn't work. We have also spent most of the season waiting for Brooker to get fit, now we have adebola we finally have that kinda player that we need to help bring the best out of the other 2 forwards at the club.

Archived