IGNORED

Our Support Was Shocking Today!

Taunton_City

Two points in reply

1.So was the performance and if the players can't be bothered neither can I.

2.It niggles me when I'm trying to watch the game and a bunch of plebs are stood up in front of me, singing at the opposition supporters, not even bothering to watch the game! It's also unfair on the kids who want to watch the game and some consideration for fellow supporters wouldn't go amiss.Neither, Mr Lansdown, would safe standing areas so that I and others aren't inconvenienced.

That's a great attitude, as soon as the players start playing below their maximum potential let's just stare disapprovingly and occasionally shout abuse at them!!! This is not the kind of support that will send us up.

How do people so easily forget the great moments these players have given us this season against the odds and when our spirits have been down? Let's try to give them the same feeling by getting behind them!!!

Also, fair enough if you want to sit down, but why not go sit near the front? Don't try to tell me it's impossible with set seats because you know as well as me that no one (standers or sitters) pays any attention to this at away games. Being a long time away supporter you should possibly have figured this out by now?

:goingup:

Two points in reply

1.So was the performance and if the players can't be bothered neither can I.

2.It niggles me when I'm trying to watch the game and a bunch of plebs are stood up in front of me, singing at the opposition supporters, not even bothering to watch the game! It's also unfair on the kids who want to watch the game and some consideration for fellow supporters wouldn't go amiss.Neither, Mr Lansdown, would safe standing areas so that I and others aren't inconvenienced.

Its not about standing or sitting but support getting behind the team when needed. The Manager has almost begged fans to get behind the team and surely we really should be bothered.

And presumably that great support at Charlton included our own disabled fans not being able to see a thing because, despite a tannoy announcement pointing this out, people in front of the disabled area stood up throughout the game.

Speaking as one of the "simpletons", I can't always stand up throughout a game (dodgy knees) and when I take kids they can't see if people stand in seated areas. It doesn't stop any of us singing and shouting along with the best of you.

There may be a case for seperate standing areas so that people have a choice, but thats another argument. The fact is, as beau 45 has pointed out above, it is not you that has a right to stand up, but those who want to that have a right to sit down. Most of the grounds we go to are all seater; you know that before you buy your ticket, and if you object that strongly then you have a choice whether or not you go.

I've no objection to people standing when they can do so without obstructing the view of someone who wants (or has) to sit, but if you are obstructing their view then, sorry, but they have every right to ask you to sit.

I suspect (and I apologise if I'm wrong about this) that you are being a little dishonest in what you say about being told to sit down "and shut up". I can't imagine any fellow supporter would object to you singing and shouting. I imagine that you were told to shut up when you responded to your fellow supporter with the sort of attitude displayed in your post??!!

We are ALL of us City supporters, lets show each other a little more respect.

Surely this thead isn't going to turn into a "We lost because you didn't support the team" one?

I'm gobsmacked.

No

But three thousand fans turning up and imploring the team for an improvement is the type of support the Manager would want and yesterday was not ever close to it. Fans seemed indifferent to a team top of its league and that to me ..... :noexpression:

No

But three thousand fans turning up and imploring the team for an improvement is the type of support the Manager would want and yesterday was not ever close to it. Fans seemed indifferent to a team top of its league and that to me ..... :noexpression:

I can't comment on the game, but as I said in another thread, if the players needed motivation and support from the fans in order to be on their game and up for the win, then I question the players, who seemed indifferent to the ultimate prize of playing in the Premier League - which must be the dream ambition of any pro-footballer in this country.

While there were accusations of poor behaviour amongst the fans yesterday, that aside, at least they got off their backsides and went in great numbers and expense to support the team. The players, on the other hand, were taken to the ground in relative comfort and were paid a handsome sum to perform on the day. They didn't, so which are the ones more likely to be indifferent - the fans or the players? I know my choice.

we were really rubbish yesterday, i kept being told to sit down and shut up. When a song finally got going half the people around me STILL didnt join in. When they team are playing bad thats when they most need our support... but people would rather chose to slag them off, To be honest i thought we were embarrassing.

as for the southampton fans i thought they we really loud and really good, easily outsinging us from the start. I liked when they sang "when the saints go marchng in" really slowly, sounded awesome (they do need a new song though..)

Somebody hit me, for the first time ever I completely agree with Bristol Boy.

:noexpression:

(there must be something wrong with me)

I knew you'd come round :innocent06:

That's a great attitude, as soon as the players start playing below their maximum potential let's just stare disapprovingly and occasionally shout abuse at them!!!

Where did I say that? Presumably, given your comments you think that someone standing up making *anker & V Signs for ninety minutes actually adds to the match day expereince and motivate the team.For the record, I don't.

How do people so easily forget the great moments these players have given us this season against the odds and when our spirits have been down? Let's try to give them the same feeling by getting behind them!!!

As someone who sees virtually every game, I feel suitably informed to make comment that yesterdays performance did not merit support and to blame the fans in any way shape or form for that debacle is something, I am convinced that GJ wouldn't agree with.No one's forgetting anything, apart from the players who forgot how to pass, compete & care. however, what has happened before is irrelevant and if we fail to go up, that's what will be remembered.

Also, fair enough if you want to sit down, but why not go sit near the front? Don't try to tell me it's impossible with set seats because you know as well as me that no one (standers or sitters) pays any attention to this at away games. Being a long time away supporter you should possibly have figured this out by now?

And I would have thought that you would have realised that, in a sell out away following one does not have a choice of where to sit in allocated seating, something else I don't agree with.

Show some manners & consideration and don't make excuses for pig ignorance.

:goingup:

Its not about standing or sitting but support getting behind the team when needed. The Manager has almost begged fans to get behind the team and surely we really should be bothered.

It is about that if you can't see because some umdereducated muppert spends the entire game staring & gesticulating at the opposition fans and blockingmy view and, as a customer which is what we are when it suits the club and a fan when it doesn't, I expect value for money & quality.

No

Three thousand paying customers who couldn't get excited by that inept drivel.Wouldn't it be nice if players who willbecome millionaires if promoted actually got enthused?

I can't comment on the game, but as I said in another thread, if the players needed motivation and support from the fans in order to be on their game and up for the win, then I question the players, who seemed indifferent to the ultimate prize of playing in the Premier League - which must be the dream ambition of any pro-footballer in this country.

Spot On.

While there were accusations of poor behaviour amongst the fans yesterday, that aside, at least they got off their backsides and went in great numbers and expense to support the team. The players, on the other hand, were taken to the ground in relative comfort and were paid a handsome sum to perform on the day. They didn't, so which are the ones more likely to be indifferent - the fans or the players? I know my choice.

Right Again and the players indifference spread to the fans

And presumably that great support at Charlton included our own disabled fans not being able to see a thing because, despite a tannoy announcement pointing this out, people in front of the disabled area stood up throughout the game.

Speaking as one of the "simpletons", I can't always stand up throughout a game (dodgy knees) and when I take kids they can't see if people stand in seated areas. It doesn't stop any of us singing and shouting along with the best of you.

There may be a case for seperate standing areas so that people have a choice, but thats another argument. The fact is, as beau 45 has pointed out above, it is not you that has a right to stand up, but those who want to that have a right to sit down. Most of the grounds we go to are all seater; you know that before you buy your ticket, and if you object that strongly then you have a choice whether or not you go.

I've no objection to people standing when they can do so without obstructing the view of someone who wants (or has) to sit, but if you are obstructing their view then, sorry, but they have every right to ask you to sit.

I suspect (and I apologise if I'm wrong about this) that you are being a little dishonest in what you say about being told to sit down "and shut up". I can't imagine any fellow supporter would object to you singing and shouting. I imagine that you were told to shut up when you responded to your fellow supporter with the sort of attitude displayed in your post??!!

We are ALL of us City supporters, lets show each other a little more respect.

You say its anouther argument, well it isnt really. This is about standing and sitting, so how is safe standing anouther argument?

Standers should not block out a sitters view, yet why should a sitter get to do what he wants and a stander not get to do what he wants?

If you are obstructing someone's view then you shouldnt be, so why no unreserved seating? Would that not solve that problem?

Somebody hit me, for the first time ever I completely agree with Bristol Boy.

:noexpression:

(there must be something wrong with me)

Not at all, i don't mind people sitting all game! Just don't like having a go at me for standind (i pay my money too)

Anyway all this could be sorted with being able to sit/stand where we want!! Not where our ticket says....

we were really rubbish yesterday, i kept being told to sit down and shut up. When a song finally got going half the people around me STILL didnt join in. Is it compulsary?When they team are playing bad thats when they most need our support... but people would rather chose to slag them off,I heard noi slagging off To be honest i thought we were embarrassing.For being quiet or hitting women and youngsters?

Noise does not equate to loyal supporter, just as a few of the quiet ones are fair-weather, so are many of the noisy ones. I certainly don't remember seeing all of them a few years ago as we endured the Tinnion days. With regard to the 'It's my right to stand' brigade, no it is not. In cases like yesterday, common sense and compromise are the order of the day. You singers moan that the quiter ones spoilt your day, well equally, you spoilt other peoples days by continually blocking their view and bellowing in their ears. Why are your 'Rights' so much more important?

I was not impressed with the stewarding yesterday - For the first 15 minutes City fans were allowed to stand right by an exit, which is an absolute no-no in Health and Safety terms. Later, fans sat on wide stairways causing no offence or obstruction were moved. One other point to bear in mind is that persistent standing is not permitted under the Stadium licensing rules. Most Clubs take a common-sense approach and the Authorities turn a blind eye. However, if there are problems, like yesterday, the Authorities will demand that Clubs take action, and expect the Clubs to impose stricter stewarding to prevent standing.

Until such time as the rules are changed, we have to accept this, and act in a manner that offers support to the team without spoiling other fans enjoyment.

It is about that if you can't see because some umdereducated muppert spends the entire game staring & gesticulating at the opposition fans and blockingmy view and, as a customer which is what we are when it suits the club and a fan when it doesn't, I expect value for money & quality.

Three thousand paying customers who couldn't get excited by that inept drivel.Wouldn't it be nice if players who willbecome millionaires if promoted actually got enthused?

Right Again and the players indifference spread to the fans

I felt too many supporters were indifferent even when it was 0-0. Chelsea used to have a chant of WAKE UP CHELSEA and three thousand sat or stood doing similar would have shown we care and expect more than the drivel [ i agree there] we were getting.

You say its anouther argument, well it isnt really. This is about standing and sitting, so how is safe standing anouther argument?

Standers should not block out a sitters view, yet why should a sitter get to do what he wants and a stander not get to do what he wants?

If you are obstructing someone's view then you shouldnt be, so why no unreserved seating? Would that not solve that problem?

As someone who has suported you guys in the EE I have always said that I'm not going to stand which is why I don't.........unless some herbert stands up in front of me and I'll include the early leavers, who don't actually leave, that's the problem, in The Dolman-However, you could be ejected & banned for standing because that is the law.Simply out you do not have the right to stand in an all seater stadium.

I also agree about unreserved seating for away fans-however, yesterday it was allocated and that's the home clubs choice, not yours or mine.

Never again BB, so don't get excited.

:disapointed2se:

Takes a bit more than that, Dolls........although it is more exciting than yesterdays tripe.

Not at all, i don't mind people sitting all game! Just don't like having a go at me for standind (i pay my money too)

You paid your money yesterday for an allocated seat, not the right to obstruct someone else's view and spoil their enjoyment of the game.

Anyway all this could be sorted with being able to sit/stand where we want!! Not where our ticket says....

And in the absence of that happening, comply with the rules & the law-We could eradicate speeding by raising the speed limit to 200mph and that won't happen anytime soon either.

Noise does not equate to loyal supporter, just as a few of the quiet ones are fair-weather, so are many of the noisy ones. I certainly don't remember seeing all of them a few years ago as we endured the Tinnion days.

No and neither did I on cold Tuesday nights at Darlington & Aldershot!

With regard to the 'It's my right to stand' brigade, no it is not. In cases like yesterday, common sense and compromise are the order of the day.

Not to mention the law.

You singers moan that the quiter ones spoilt your day, well equally, you spoilt other peoples days by continually blocking their view and bellowing in their ears. Why are your 'Rights' so much more important?

I was not impressed with the stewarding yesterday - For the first 15 minutes City fans were allowed to stand right by an exit, which is an absolute no-no in Health and Safety terms. Later, fans sat on wide stairways causing no offence or obstruction were moved. One other point to bear in mind is that persistent standing is not permitted under the Stadium licensing rules. Most Clubs take a common-sense approach and the Authorities turn a blind eye. However, if there are problems, like yesterday, the Authorities will demand that Clubs take action, and expect the Clubs to impose stricter stewarding to prevent standing.

Until such time as the rules are changed, we have to accept this, and act in a manner that offers support to the team without spoiling other fans enjoyment.

Spot On.

The Mananger places a lot of emphasis on vocal support and to me it does help while not being the be and end all and as important as attitude and tactics. This support was missing yesterday fans seemed indifferent to the ultimate prize. City are top and City fans or the team did not reflect that yesterday.

Let me talk about my experiance yesterday...let me tell you it was not good at all.Before i say my piece i want you all to know that i love a good atmosphere at a match along with some good banter with the opposing fans,i like to have a good sing song with the best of them.

Firstly, i don't really have an issue with people standing up in front of me when the action on the field dictates, but what really bothered me against Southampton was the idiot in front of me wanted to stand back turned to the action and taunt/chant at the opposing fans all during the first half.When challenged he was quite clear to us that he had paid for his ticket and could do what he wanted,(this coming from a bloke who had his wife with him who was unable to walk without a stick).I told him i was not prepared to stand the whole game as a young boy sat behind me (no older than 8/9) wouldn't be able to see the action.After a bit of an ear bashing from his wife he generally stayed rooted to his seat.

Secondly,why do so many mindless idiots choose to get completely rat-arsed before a game? One guy was literally asleep in his seat as i left the ground (and that was not because of the poor performence from the boys).Another was up and down like a yo-yo in the front row having a right go at the stewards when being asked to calm down, of course being the "big man" he was he chose to throw a torrent of abuse at the steward who in my oppinion was only doing his job.

Thirdly, why do some of our fans have to get so animated when someone gets ejected from the stadium,speaking from my experiance i believe that most are thrown out because "THEY DESERVE TO BE" It's just thuggery nothing more, nothing less,everyone could see that by the fighting that was going on between our own fans.

Finally,we were leaving the ground minding our own business when a dozen or so City fans (or thugs) came charging from behind us to meet a group of Saints fans (or thugs) and proceed to fight.We were worried for our safety so we legged it away from the area in question and carried on walking to the train station where fighting continued on route.

I would love nothing more than for us to get promoted this season but i worry that if we were to be on the end of a few losses what would happen then?........potential carnage or maybe worse,the true fans would suffer because of the actions of a group of morons.

I know i may have waffled on a bit but i wanted to get my frustrations off my chest and share them with you all.As for the guy who blocked my veiw, thanks for doing the decent thing by remaining seated at the appropriate times.

Why are we always self damning in our support , I'm sick of this our support this our support that, i was in hospitality sat right on the half way line and considering we were totally outplayed outfought outskilled from the first 10 seconds thought our support was pretty decent to be honest and had no problems hearing it , thought it was fairly loud

That's a great attitude, as soon as the players start playing below their maximum potential let's just stare disapprovingly and occasionally shout abuse at them!!!

Where did I say that? Presumably, given your comments you think that someone standing up making *anker & V Signs for ninety minutes actually adds to the match day expereince and motivate the team.For the record, I don't.

As someone who sees virtually every game, I feel suitably informed to make comment that yesterdays performance did not merit support and to blame the fans in any way shape or form for that debacle is something, I am convinced that GJ wouldn't agree with.No one's forgetting anything, apart from the players who forgot how to pass, compete & care. however, what has happened before is irrelevant and if we fail to go up, that's what will be remembered.

And I would have thought that you would have realised that, in a sell out away following one does not have a choice of where to sit in allocated seating, something else I don't agree with.

Show some manners & consideration and don't make excuses for pig ignorance.

I cannot believe you can deem this team to "not merit support". Teams are going to have bad patches, it is unfortunate ours is happening at this time but surely great performances throughout this season (when our support hasn't always been the best) mean we can try to lift the players? When we're playing badly is when it is needed the most!!

Also, I am not one to make gestures to the opposition fans, but sing for the team whilst watching the game!!! I don't think all singers should be put in the "aggressive yob" bracket!!! The only reason singing near the opposition fans helps the atmosphere for me is that, usually, they sing as well meaning the noise levels go up.

I do however conceed that at sell outs it is difficult to sit in a seat other than your own and, as others have said, this must be solved by the clubs changing policy!!

Guest MaloneFM
Somebody hit me, for the first time ever (there must be something wrong with me)

How old are you and somebody has hit you for the first time? My god woman there is a long list of people on here just waiting you should have asked!

NO...NO..ROGER DON'T STOOP to cheap insults...its not the Bruce Hockin way....

Let me talk about my experiance yesterday...let me tell you it was not good at all.Before i say my piece i want you all to know that i love a good atmosphere at a match along with some good banter with the opposing fans,i like to have a good sing song with the best of them.

Firstly, i don't really have an issue with people standing up in front of me when the action on the field dictates, but what really bothered me against Southampton was the idiot in front of me wanted to stand back turned to the action and taunt/chant at the opposing fans all during the first half.When challenged he was quite clear to us that he had paid for his ticket and could do what he wanted,(this coming from a bloke who had his wife with him who was unable to walk without a stick).I told him i was not prepared to stand the whole game as a young boy sat behind me (no older than 8/9) wouldn't be able to see the action.After a bit of an ear bashing from his wife he generally stayed rooted to his seat.

Secondly,why do so many mindless idiots choose to get completely rat-arsed before a game? One guy was literally asleep in his seat as i left the ground (and that was not because of the poor performence from the boys).Another was up and down like a yo-yo in the front row having a right go at the stewards when being asked to calm down, of course being the "big man" he was he chose to throw a torrent of abuse at the steward who in my oppinion was only doing his job.

Thirdly, why do some of our fans have to get so animated when someone gets ejected from the stadium,speaking from my experiance i believe that most are thrown out because "THEY DESERVE TO BE" It's just thuggery nothing more, nothing less,everyone could see that by the fighting that was going on between our own fans.

Finally,we were leaving the ground minding our own business when a dozen or so City fans (or thugs) came charging from behind us to meet a group of Saints fans (or thugs) and proceed to fight.We were worried for our safety so we legged it away from the area in question and carried on walking to the train station where fighting continued on route.

I would love nothing more than for us to get promoted this season but i worry that if we were to be on the end of a few losses what would happen then?........potential carnage or maybe worse,the true fans would suffer because of the actions of a group of morons.

I know i may have waffled on a bit but i wanted to get my frustrations off my chest and share them with you all.As for the guy who blocked my veiw, thanks for doing the decent thing by remaining seated at the appropriate times.

Cos thats the whole point of the day out at football :rofl2br::drunk2:

Everyone paid for a seat to SIT not stand for the whole game so those standing clearly have no respect for those who wish to sit. And for those saying sit at the front- that wasn't possible. The stewards were directibg everyone to the SEAT (key word there) on their ticket.

It's just pure selfishness and stupidy from some. Luckily a minority.

I cannot believe you can deem this team to "not merit support". Teams are going to have bad patches, it is unfortunate ours is happening at this time but surely great performances throughout this season (when our support hasn't always been the best) mean we can try to lift the players? When we're playing badly is when it is needed the most!!

Regretfully, football supporters have been told that they are customers and, as such, expect value for money-This wasn't, although, I thought City sang & supported well enough for people in receipt of a dire expereince.No problem with losing, I have a huge problem with players who receive a huge amount of money in relation their ability and complain of being tired even though we're going to play about 10/12 less games than last season.If those players are tired, thats an entirely predictable situation that meant signings were made and the squad strengthened.

Also, I am not one to make gestures to the opposition fans, but sing for the team whilst watching the game!!! I don't think all singers should be put in the "aggressive yob" bracket!!! The only reason singing near the opposition fans helps the atmosphere for me is that, usually, they sing as well meaning the noise levels go up.

I have no issue and you can sing as much as you like from a seated position or stood up at the back with likeminded people if that's allowed or tolerated.I was talking about the muppets by me.

I do however conceed that at sell outs it is difficult to sit in a seat other than your own and, as others have said, this must be solved by the clubs changing policy!!

Which won't be forced upon them by people deciding to do their own thing and ignore the rules.

No it's not

I was seriously hacked off with our support yesterday. It seems for all the big games you get the daytrippers coming out for their big day out content to sit in their seat and not make a noise. We were trying to get the atmosphere going all game but to no avail. West Brom on Boxing day was the same.

I just don't understand how at places like Charlton on a Tuesday night, we stand up singing for the whole game even after going a goal down then you get shite support like that yesterday. It was another embarrasing association for our club. If you can't back your team with four games to go and the prospect of possible Premier League football on the horizon, when can you do it? :dunno:

I was seriously hacked off with our support yesterday. It seems for all the big games you get the daytrippers coming out for their big day out content to sit in their seat and not make a noise. We were trying to get the atmosphere going all game but to no avail. West Brom on Boxing day was the same.

I just don't understand how at places like Charlton on a Tuesday night, we stand up singing for the whole game even after going a goal down then you get shite support like that yesterday. It was another embarrasing association for our club. If you can't back your team with four games to go and the prospect of possible Premier League football on the horizon, when can you do it? :dunno:

Samehere mate, like i said, give me 500-800 at an away game any day........

If you choose to get blind drunk before the game that's your choice but those who do should not be allowed to intefere with those who aren't (you have read my experiance of the day).

I also had a pint before the game in Yeats's but left after 20mins as i didn't appreciate having beer thrown over me. All i wanted to do was enjoy a drink whilst watcthing the football (i should have known better).

This is not in my opinion what going to football is all about.

If you choose to get blind drunk before the game that's your choice but those who do should not be allowed to intefere with those who aren't (you have read my experiance of the day).

I also had a pint before the game in Yeats's but left after 20mins as i didn't appreciate having beer thrown over me. All i wanted to do was enjoy a drink whilst watcthing the football (i should have known better).

Eh i was in Yates from about 1:30, loads of singing, quality atmosphere thats all!!! Whats wrong with that!!!

Eh i was in Yates from about 1:30, loads of singing, quality atmosphere thats all!!! Whats wrong with that!!!

Nothing at all!! It was a great atmosphere which i have said all along makes it a good day out.

Getting pushed and shoved at the bar by your own fans just so they can get a drink before you isn't so great though.Having beer flung around the place is not something that adds to my idea of a good day out.

Surely Taunton you can see my side of the veiw??

Archived