IGNORED

Will We Survive Next Season?

alanpayne

Forget the Play-offs! Will we survive in the Championship next season?

Our last 9 games reads:-

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

Relegation form! - form over 9 games is more than a mere blip! Its almost 25% of the season!

i hope thats a sarcastic post mate, enjoy it where we are

I have to agree with Alan, I am EXTREMELY worried about next season if we stay with the same squad/tactics/formation.

Yes, I am happy to be in the play offs (at the moment) but I can see us having a 2nd season syndrome UNLESS big changes are made at AG.

GJ has made mistakes this season but don't forget this is also his 1st season in the Championship and he WILL learn from it and improve us further.

BCAGFC

Stupidly negative question.

The season is 46 games long not 10, and second season syndrome is a complete myth. We have the support, finances, players and manager to compete well at this level as the season so far has shown. That's not going to change over the summer.

If we are still in this division we will be in the top half.

GJ has made mistakes this season....

BCAGFC

Yes, he has. However, imagine how good he'll be next season when he's had time to reflect on his mistakes and make amendments to his team and tactics. 4th in the Championship at 1st attempt; not bad in anyone's book. I'm not suggesting he's beyond criticism, but I don't think this season will be a one-off.

The problem we have had this season is GJ wanted to show some loyalty to some players and give them a chance to prove themselves in the championship.. Some of these players just have not performed and next season these players will be gone.

The problem we have had this season is GJ wanted to show some loyalty to some players and give them a chance to prove themselves in the championship.. Some of these players just have not performed and next season these players will be gone.

not a dig at yourself but there are some stupidly negative comments on here at the mo.

yes we were poor in the first half,

yes our form has not been the best

however, we outplayed stoke in the 2nd half last night at their ground and are still in the playoffs which based on the 2nd half performance last night i feel we have a great chance, who would have thought at this point of the season we would be where we are now back in august?

there are even posts about us goung down next season, Get behind the team!!!!!!

Rant over

I think we'll be absolutely fine next season and would tip us for the play-offs again.

Whether you like it or not we have a great manager you nearly every other team in this league would kill for, a chairman who quite obviously has and going on quotes given by both Johnson and Lansdown, is willing to spend, and despite some poor performances in recent games, the nucleus of a very good championship side.

Of course we need to bring in some players over the summer, but City's srock (thanks to Johnson) has risen considerably over the past 12 months and i would imagine we could attract a higher calibre of player than we could last summer.

For ###### sake, we're going to finish in the play-offs in our first season up! Fantastic! Don't compare us to Colchester or Luton, as with the greatest respect to these two clubs, were poles apart.

A little bit of patience and faith we will get our shot at the premier league ib the next few years!

I think you are right. Rightly or wrongly (rightly in my opinion) he has given the players who got us here, with the exception of one or two, a chance to prove themselves at this level.

To be fair, 4th so far with two games to go is not a bad start in the ccc... I'll take the play-offs thank you very much, if we don't go up so be it, but GJ knows better than any of us where things have gone right or wrong and I am sure he will bring in whatever players he sees fit to improve us again next season.

I was gutted after yesterdays result, but after sleeping on it, I still think we have a very good chance of going up via the pay-offs. If we don't, well its been a fantastic season and everyone at the club will have more experience under their belt for next season.

We will strengthen next season. Simply because we have to. I haven't got a problem with the loyalty shown to the current players. However, no club can stand still and you can bet your life that many clubs with bigger reputations and better crowds than us, currently at the bottom end of the league, will be adding significantly to their squads next season. The Championship (assuming that is where we end up) will be a tougher league next season but the fact that we have done well in it this season means that GJ should be able to attract a better calibre of player than he would have been able to had we finished fourth from bottom this season.

I would say that anything in the top half of the table next season would still represent a progression for the club.

not a dig at yourself but there are some stupidly negative comments on here at the mo.

however, we outplayed stoke in the 2nd half last night at their ground and are still in the playoffs which based on the 2nd half performance last night i feel we have a great chance, who would have thought at this point of the season we would be where we are now back in august?

Rant over

I know I know I know. AT HT I felt suicidal that's how bad it was. I didn't want to go back to my seat. It was like watching someone sleep with my misses. It was painful. Yesterdays game was like a play off final tbh I felt like when we lost to Brighton but much worse as the prize at stake was much bigger.

It has been an amazing season but it's just gutting to be so close but now so far.

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

Relegation form! - form over 9 games is more than a mere blip! Its almost 25% of the season!

Our first 9 games read:-

PL W D L F A Po

9 3 5 1 12 10 14

Playoff form!

This short-term view of our season seems to ignore the fact that prior to our slump we were on great form, which lasted over 40 games.

We've lost only 11 league games; Stoke (9) and Palace (10) are the only teams to lose less.

If Wolves beat Cardiff we need just two points from our last two games to be assured a playoff place at the first time of asking, if they lose or draw we need just one.

We've used just 25 players in the league this season, including three goal keepers and one-gamers Kevin Betsy and Alex Russell. So that is about 20 outfield players (two of whom only signed in January) over a so far 44 game season. I don't know about any other top 10 team but I'd be shocked if many used less than that.

We might have had the chance to get promoted automatically and blown it (I'm not so positive that I can't see that) but I'm not going to sit here and be pissed off that this season has ended with us possibly making the playoffs. My best friend is an Ipswich Town fan and at the beginning of this Championship year he was expecting playoffs easily and potentially automatic.

Ever since about Christmas he's been pretty miserable each week (win, lose or draw) because he's convinced they should be doing better than they are. In contrast I'd loved every second of it. After we lost to Southampton I felt totally gutted and angry, as I was convinced we'd messed up our season and ruined everything. Then I suddenly realised what a rubbish way of approaching football this was and how much I'd enjoyed the vast majority of the matches this year and how proud I was that we'd had a real go, even if recent form was poor.

So I don't care anymore if everyone else is screaming and pulling their hair out in frustration, I'm going to enjoy the last two games (against a recent premier league side Sheffield United and one-time playoff regulars Preston) and hope we make the playoffs, where I'll enjoy that ride too. And after that you never know; maybe we'll get to the Promised Land after all.

Rant over

It is not being stupidly negative, it is being concerned about a 'fall of form' since the Charlton game back in early March. Since that 1 - 1 draw at the Valley we have been simply very poor. We had great press and great reviews after that game and i wonder what has gone on? The leicester game after that was when we could and should have been dicked by another 6 goals with GJ saying the video would go in the bin as it was a one off. Unfortunatley it has carried on from The Walker stadium. Confidence ? loss of faith ? here we are heading for the playoffs in a run of form that had the season started at the Walker stadium we would be bottom ! GJ himself says he looks at games in blocks of 10 I wonder what he thinks. The loss of LJ has been a blow, and lack of quality up front in final third. On that you add on the Trundle debate. We want him in the side, end of. He always terrorized us in a Swansea shirt when he played deeper. With the play offs realistically in mind GJ will have to have a good look at it to pull us out of the slump since early March. However I have the confidence he will do this. It is not being negative, disappointed at the incredible oppertunity which has gone for the auto spot

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

Get over it Alan. We will strengthen even more in the summer and once again be a good outfit

It is not being stupidly negative, it is being concerned about a 'fall of form' since the Charlton game back in early March. Since that 1 - 1 draw at the Valley we have been simply very poor. We had great press and great reviews after that game and i wonder what has gone on? The leicester game after that was when we could and should have been dicked by another 6 goals with GJ saying the video would go in the bin as it was a one off. Unfortunatley it has carried on from The Walker stadium. Confidence ? loss of faith ? here we are heading for the playoffs in a run of form that had the season started at the Walker stadium we would be bottom ! GJ himself says he looks at games in blocks of 10 I wonder what he thinks. The loss of LJ has been a blow, and lack of quality up front in final third. On that you add on the Trundle debate. We want him in the side, end of. He always terrorized us in a Swansea shirt when he played deeper. With the play offs realistically in mind GJ will have a good look at it and pull us out of the nose dive. However I have the confidence he will do this. It is not being negative, disappointed at the incredible oppertunity which has gone for the auto spot

yup, everyones disapointed however this is certainaly not the time or the season for criminations, we are still in with a great shout of promotion with all the other teams around us now suffering poor results (look at watford) saying that the seasons over and we may as well not turn up next as we are going down is plain silly, how about some posts getting behind the team(who have exeeded all expectaions)

we are still in this!!!

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

If we start next season with the same players as we end this season then I would be concerned. For whatever reason, the last 9/10 games have exposed the limilitations of our squad, and to a degree GJ's tactics. Having said that, I think GJ's tactics were developed at the start of the season, and with the expectation of a tough fight to stay in the championship, to get the best out of the players he had. Being 4th in the division says that he has overacheived, but will probably just fall short of a monumental achievement.

I would be amazed if the first game of next season features more than 6/7 of the current team ( I suspect Basso, Carey, Elliott, McIndoe, Brooker, Fontaine, Lee J). For all the knee jerk criticism on here at times, GJ is pretty shrewd and I suspect he will have learned as much about his players over the last 9 games as he did over the previous 30 odd games. He will already know where he needs to change and strengthen and suspect that plans are already in place regarding potential new signings. The only thing now is that he will be planning purchases for another season in the championship rather than looking to spend £30m for Premier League players.

Although there is bound to be concern over the question of strikers, I think the biggest issue is about the way we play. To be in 4th spot with a negative goal differnce, primarily because of our lack of goals, says a lot about our style of play, not just our goalshy forwards. Can Gj make the change so that we play more expansive football that makes the most of our good passing game? The Guardian recently reported that we weave pretty patterns but with no end product. That was Danny Wilson's downfall and I hope it won't be Gary Johnson's.

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

this season is not over, still 2 games to go, possibly 3 more on top of that,

I'll worry about next season, once I know what division we are in, right now we still don't

negativity right now regarding possible scenarios next season achives nothing

If the genius who started this thread can tell me;

1 That we definitely won't win the play offs,

2) If not, who'll arrive in the summer, as there were big changes between the side that beat Rotherham and the one who faced QPR.

Then he's a cleverer person than the rest of us, isn't he?.

To be honest, the last 10 games is pretty much how I expected the whole season to be.

Presently, we will be lucky to make the play-offs, and if we do, we'll lose quite comfortably in the semi's (if thats possible?) against anyone who we play.

I don't subscribe to this "its been a fantastic season" analogy because we,ve right royally ****ed things up. Not yesterday, but over the last 10 games and we'll leave the season with nothing and be on a complete downer for next season. Not sure whether to laugh or cry!

To sum up, I'm very worried about next season.

If we start next season with the same players as we end this season then I would be concerned. For whatever reason, the last 9/10 games have exposed the limilitations of our squad, and to a degree GJ's tactics. Having said that, I think GJ's tactics were developed at the start of the season, and with the expectation of a tough fight to stay in the championship, to get the best out of the players he had. Being 4th in the division says that he has overacheived, but will probably just fall short of a monumental achievement.

I would be amazed if the first game of next season features more than 6/7 of the current team ( I suspect Basso, Carey, Elliott, McIndoe, Brooker, Fontaine, Lee J). For all the knee jerk criticism on here at times, GJ is pretty shrewd and I suspect he will have learned as much about his players over the last 9 games as he did over the previous 30 odd games. He will already know where he needs to change and strengthen and suspect that plans are already in place regarding potential new signings. The only thing now is that he will be planning purchases for another season in the championship rather than looking to spend £30m for Premier League players.

Although there is bound to be concern over the question of strikers, I think the biggest issue is about the way we play. To be in 4th spot with a negative goal differnce, primarily because of our lack of goals, says a lot about our style of play, not just our goalshy forwards. Can Gj make the change so that we play more expansive football that makes the most of our good passing game? The Guardian recently reported that we weave pretty patterns but with no end product. That was Danny Wilson's downfall and I hope it won't be Gary Johnson's.

We the way we currently play, we could have Shearer and Andy Cole up front and still not score many, we don't provide the service. We need to get back to have proper wing play.

With regards to Danny Wilson, in the penulitmate season we played some of the best football I've seen for years - a lot better than we've turned out this or last season.

The post isn't negative or pessimistic, it's factual.

If you listen to GJ's interview on Worl after last nights game even he doesn't sound confident about getting to the play offs.

My concerns are that this season's +£250k signings haven't come off so do we go into the market for more of the same?

We were crying out for guile & creativity in midfield and where's our £600k attacking midfielder?

Trundle hasn't scored our created the goals, decent footballer tha he is contrast our front two to Stokes or Hull.........don't even look at WBA.

Sproule's been a disaster and seems to be getting worse.

McIndoe's been decent but contrast his goals & assists with similar players like Liam Lawrence, Wade Elliott and you'll see s marked difference.

This close season..........and I firmly believe we'll start next in the CCC, will see an exodus from AG.I would think around 10/12 players will leave.What we needs is 4/5 real quality additions who, fit & on form will be automatic first team selections.McIndoe is the only one of our plus £250 club that we can say that about now, IMHO.

I left the Soton game saying that we wouldn't win again this season and I'll stick to that.

How well we did in August-Dec is only important in that it has taken us to where we are-What will see us over the line is current form and, as Alan has pointed out, it's dire both in terms of the performance and the result.

This close season..........and I firmly believe we'll start next in the CCC, will see an exodus from AG.I would think around 10/12 players will leave.What we needs is 4/5 real quality additions who, fit & on form will be automatic first team selections.McIndoe is the only one of our plus £250 club that we can say that about now, IMHO.

I left the Soton game saying that we wouldn't win again this season and I'll stick to that.

How well we did in August-Dec is only important in that it has taken us to where we are-What will see us over the line is current form and, as Alan has pointed out, it's dire both in terms of the performance and the result.

Out of interest were we to get 4-6 points out of the next two matches and make the playoffs what would you think of our chances?

I realise you've gone into detail as to where our flaws are and although I disagree with the level of pessimism you have as regards this season I'd be interested in your thoughts on the nature of the playoffs.

I personally think that it is pointless trying to second guess the results of one off games such as these and it might even work in our favour slipping to 5th or 6th (as long as we retain a playoff place of course). We've not lost to Hull, Wolves and Watford, as well as winning against Stoke, Ipswich and Sheffield U already this term.

I may be a card-carrying 'happy clapper' in some peoples eyes but I am convinced that asides from WBA we would have a fighting chance against any of the teams who may make the top 6 over two legs or one game. I'm actually looking forward to the playoffs, IF :fingerscrossed: we can get there.

Amazing how time changes people and their opinions.

2 years ago on this very forum, many people stated that due to high admission prices and players with petulant attitudes, they would be content with City becoming (just) a strong Champioship team.

1 year ago many people (the same ones?) posted that survival was everything this season and we had to get a good start because of the difficult run in City had.

Now City have experienced this difficult run in and have to (in all probability) settle for (just) the play offs and it's doom & gloom from many people (the same ones?).

It does worry me that the way we're ending the season may well impact on how we start the next one. Preston were in a very similar position to us a year ago, missed out on automatic, lost in the play-off's and that hungover wasn't shrugged off for the majority of this season.

It's an old adage in football, but if a club's standing still in this game, they're going backwards. We can't afford to be loyal to certain mambers of this squad next season otherwise a Preston style slide could be on the cards. Serious players should be brought in this summer around the nucleus of the current crop if we're to continue the remarkable progress we've had in the last few seasons IMHO.

Stupidly negative question.

The season is 46 games long not 10, and second season syndrome is a complete myth. We have the support, finances, players and manager to compete well at this level as the season so far has shown. That's not going to change over the summer.

If we are still in this division we will be in the top half.

Why is it a 'stupidly negative question'?

He's asking a valid question.No need to be so hostile in your reply.

Yes, the season is 46 games and not 10 but if you take a realistic and unbiased view you'll accept that City either have frozen or been found out in the last 9 games.

Unless Johnson strengthens in the summer then City could well struggle next season.City certainly won't have the same amount of good fortune that has come our way this season.

No doubt that City can compete.We have a team of battlers - but a serious lack of quality is apparent.

Why is it a 'stupidly negative question'?

He's asking a valid question.No need to be so hostile in your reply.

Yes, the season is 46 games and not 10 but if you take a realistic and unbiased view you'll accept that City either have frozen or been found out in the last 9 games.

Unless Johnson strengthens in the summer then City could well struggle next season.City certainly won't have the same amount of good fortune that has come our way this season.

No doubt that City can compete.We have a team of battlers - but a serious lack of quality is apparent.

Hostile? Nope.

Seems to me that the only views you consider realistic and unbiased are your own.

The reality is we have a decent squad who have overperformed for most of the season thanks to good management and team spirit and despite a run of poor form are not going to be in any danger next season at all.

The first post is a massive over reaction as is most of the twaddle that's been posted on here in the last day.

shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up !!!!!! we are not even going to be in the championship next year

were the famous bristol city and were going to wemberley

wemberley

wemberley

were the famous bristol city and were going to wemberley

PL W D L F A Po

9 1 4 5 6 10 7

:disapointed2se: not a chance straight back down to the basement; geeze mate get a grip; Can we make more wins than Derby is what you should be saying.

Archived