IGNORED

Train Arrangements

Tomo

Guest DanC
Ive just spoken on the phone to first great western and they told me this:

No matter if you have reserved ticket, it is on a first come first serve basis. Therefore the earlier you get there the more chance of a train in time you have. A Queing system will be in operation. When asked whether this would be the same at Paddington on the way back, she said most likely yes.

So what happens then if I am booked on a certain train and that train only and can't get on that train?

You need to take a chill pill RH. It will all be good natured at that time in the morning. Its a day to cheris, have a great crack, have a few (well maybe more) beers and enjoy ourselves.

Getting home could be a different matter

Yeah I know, can't stand queues, hate them. I have just booked to travel from Yatton to Temple Meads.

So what happens then if I am booked on a certain train and that train only and can't get on that train?

Well mate, the one of the people I'm going with phoned first about 30 mins ago and they told him the opposite to what they told me. Apparently you now need a reserve ticket and you can only get on the train if you have a reserve'd seat ticket. Seems to me that they are a bit unprepared and its going to be a right mess, with 1000's needing trains and no-one knowing whats going on.

Well mate, the one of the people I'm going with phoned first about 30 mins ago and they told him the opposite to what they told me. Apparently you now need a reserve ticket and you can only get on the train if you have a reserve'd seat ticket. Seems to me that they are a bit unprepared and its going to be a right mess, with 1000's needing trains and no-one knowing whats going on.

Well that flies in the face to what I was told by someone in the ticket office at Parkway this afternoon when I collected my ticket.

They said that there will be a queueing system and the reservations will be ignored. Effectively, this means you do not have a reserved seat nor do you have to be on a specific train - it will all be waived. It's first come, first served.

However, how they reconcile that with people who have paid full fares for their tickets alongside those who have cheap Advance Leisure tickets, I don't know.

Its a complete mess IN IT!

For ###### sake, why cant they just arrange queues for reserved train tickets and have a queue for payers on the day !

In all honesty will there be that many payers on the day ?????

I have opted for the 10.30 train, tinnies on the train etc, so still an early start on the beer !

As a customer with a reserved ticket, I should be able to get to Temple Meads around 10.10am and join a queue for the 10.30 train...

Why cant they adopt this.....its hardly a cheap way to travel. We have spent over £500 for the journey !!

Tomo

Its a complete mess IN IT!

For ###### sake, why cant they just arrange queues for reserved train tickets and have a queue for payers on the day !

In all honesty will there be that many payers on the day ?????

I have opted for the 10.30 train, tinnies on the train etc, so still an early start on the beer !

As a customer with a reserved ticket, I should be able to get to Temple Meads around 10.10am and join a queue for the 10.30 train...

Why cant they adopt this.....its hardly a cheap way to travel. We have spent over £500 for the journey !!

Tomo

Agree its a complete mess but we all knew was going to happen. My bro is booked on the 10.30, he will be a station by 9.00 and if he's lucky get on an earlier train.

At least you'll be in a queue with a few thousand of the cider army - surely a few rousing rounds of 'we always believe' and a tin or 2 of cider will pass the time nicely.

Just think of the poor tw*ts just going to london for the day :trumpet:

Agree its a complete mess but we all knew was going to happen. My bro is booked on the 10.30, he will be a station by 9.00 and if he's lucky get on an earlier train.

At least you'll be in a queue with a few thousand of the cider army - surely a few rousing rounds of 'we always believe' and a tin or 2 of cider will pass the time nicely.

Just think of the poor tw*ts just going to london for the day :trumpet:

There is that and this is not a pop at part timers making the trip but when genuine fans struggle to get to London it is a tad annoying !

I suppose I wouldnt want it any different - as it will be monster to have so much support following the boys but it is frustrating - when I guess 15,000 bristolians have not even been to the gate this season !

Tomo

Some Great Train news !!

I have received this email !

David

I thought that you would like to know that i have reviewed Saturday's queueing arrangements and made some alterations. Anyone who has a ticket AND a reservation will be allowed access to the station to catch their train. customers without tickets AND reservations will be expected asked to queue at the station front and allowed access to the station when train arrive.

Enjoy the match!

Mike Holmes

Station Manager, Bristol Temple Meads

Tel - 0117 934 8220 (07 42220)

First Greater Western Limited.

Registered in England & Wales No. 05113733.

Registered office: Milford House, 1 Milford Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1HL.

David, just out of interest, was that after a little pressure from 'up high'?

Ironically no mate,

I was about to prepare myself for that call and then "bang" that email came through...

Maybe they realised from my original mail that something had to be done !

Tomo

My e mail was slightly different:

What you have been told is incorrect. Anyone who has a ticket and reservation will be allowed on to the station without queueing at the front.

Enjoy the match!

Mike Holmes

Registered office: Milford House, 1 Milford Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 1HL.

But good news. Apart from Tomo & me, how many others e mailed?

Just to throw in another possibility on the day....

My Mrs is having a Wembley Party at home whilst I travel up. She has invited friends down for the weekend who are not from Bristol. They have really struggled to get accomodation....

Why ??

Heineken Cup Rugby Final in Cardiff (Munster v Toulouse)

Don't say alot of Ruggers fans are staying in Bristol overnight and heading to Cardiff by train from you guessed it

Temple Meads !!

Lets hope not !

Tomo

Some Great Train news !!

I have received this email !

David

I thought that you would like to know that i have reviewed Saturday's queueing arrangements and made some alterations. Anyone who has a ticket AND a reservation will be allowed access to the station to catch their train. customers without tickets AND reservations will be expected asked to queue at the station front and allowed access to the station when train arrive.

Enjoy the match!

Mike Holmes

hope this is the same for parkway..... :fingerscrossed:

Think it may be carnage as i ve just been down to get my tube tickets from temple meads and there was hundreds of irish ( drunk ) there all making arrangements for the eggchasers cup final in cardiff tomorrow , like a load of tinkers wandering around stinking of piss and beer , they had no respect for any que or anything else down there tonight , like to see them que jump tomorrow :bruce_h4h:

The rugger is a 5pm kick off tomorrow and what with it only being over the bridge i would imagine alot of them would leave later. But then they might not have the sense or even realise that we're going to Wembley tomorrow.

Either way if we both win Bristol is going to be a sea of red partying on saturday night.

So how was it for everyone?

My plan worked brilliantly actually. Booked young persons single tickets up there for £11 on the 6.30am from Parkway. Not remotely busy, no queue or anything. Got a child's daycard zones 1-6 for the tube that got me round the capital then blagged the train home all the way to Temple Meads for around 9pm. No ticket checked and the gates were open on our arrival. As I said in a previous post, easy as pie. :D

My plan worked brilliantly actually. Booked young persons single tickets up there for £11 on the 6.30am from Parkway. Not remotely busy, no queue or anything. Got a child's daycard zones 1-6 for the tube that got me round the capital then blagged the train home all the way to Temple Meads for around 9pm. No ticket checked and the gates were open on our arrival. As I said in a previous post, easy as pie. :D

Fair play mate, thinking about it we didnt get tickets check at all!!

For the 8.30 train home everyone with a reservation was taken to platform 8 - everyone else was let on our train at platform 2 - Some free-lancer's stole our seats in first classed - they refused to move and swore at us repeatedly even though we were polite - they didn't even have a ticket let alone a reservation - noone was on the train to ask them to move - they didn't even apologise - it cost £25 for my ticket which they effectively decided to STEAL

Guest DanC
For the 8.30 train home everyone with a reservation was taken to platform 8 - everyone else was let on our train at platform 2 - Some free-lancer's stole our seats in first classed - they refused to move and swore at us repeatedly even though we were polite - they didn't even have a ticket let alone a reservation - noone was on the train to ask them to move - they didn't even apologise - it cost £25 for my ticket which they effectively decided to STEAL
As I just said in another post the train I was on coming home had first class declassified due to the amount of people so those with first class tickets were entitled to a partial refund. I'm guessing the same happened on your train?

All pretty well organised, we had seats on the way up, and from Swindon on the way back. Trains were on time, and City fans behaved far better than on certain occasions in the past. Day return to Didcot, and Day Travelcard from there cost me about £35 from Bath.

Went out on the 7:00am from Temple Meads which was busy but comfortable. Got to Paddington at 8:45am then Breakfast around Paddington Green.

Coming home we got the Chiltern overground to Marlebone, then a tube to Paddington. Got to Paddington at 5:35 and decided to get the Bristol Parkway train instead of waiting for the Temple Meads. We spent a tenner each and upgraded to first class.

Got to Parkway at 7:10, then thought we'd get a taxi back to Ashton Vale. We then heard an announcement for a train going to Bristol Temple Meads, so we ran back up the steps and onto platform 4 where we jumped on the two carriage train from Newport and arrived in Temple Meads at 7:30pm. 7:35pm we were having a pint in the Knights Templar.

The travel though the day was excellent and I would do it again.

MM

Archived