IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

3 minutes ago, TomPNE said:

Jesus wept.

You are currently fighting a relegation battle in the CHAMPIONSHIP. Not a play-off race, a relegation battle. Not in the premier league, but the Championship. What on earth makes you think you can attract managers like you have described? You're deluded if you think Moyes or Pearson or even Monk would hacome to you.ve

As for the guy who said he would stop supporting if he's appointed, maybe you should go and support Rovers? No club needs fans like that.

I hope Johnson turns your season around and all the twunts on here who are fuming about this, implode and have a nervous breakdown.

**** me, I thought our forum was negative.

Good luck and I hope you stay up.

it's called the bigger picture my PNE friend, we have all but finished a 45 million regeneration of our ground, of which we need to fill at least 80% of its 27,000 seats , with the exception of Southampton we have the best level academy in the south of the country, we are the 6th largest city in the country in a prime location , Bristol is a beautiful place to live with immediate access to high level shops and beaches, we have one the richest men in the country at the helm. in short this football club has all the necessary ingredients to become a top flight contender , unfortunately in order to secure the services of players of quality to obtain such status you require a manager of a certain reputation and class. if the club choose to employ a young inexperienced manager with only low league knowledge with out the necessary ability instead of the more expensive option it will reinforce the fact that  there is no ambition which is extremely and bitterly disappointing. I for one want to back the board, specifically Mr Lansdown as with out his significant and continued sacrifice we would not be at this pivotal stage in the clubs history. indeed if this appointment comes off then the more worrying picture is that despite  all the foundations and all of the above we are unable to attract quality staff be it players or managers to this football club,

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Changing to a more secure 4-3-3 has seen us score once in the last four games, despite being able to sign some decent players.

Steve Clarke's 'poor record' was In the Premier League! He was 9th when he got the chop from Reading, they're now 16th.

We've only conceded once in the last three games though. We were leaking goals left right and centre in our old formation. 

His record at Reading is only 35% win rate, he hasn't got experience of a relegation battle.

With this team I think anyone with any sort of ability should be keeping us up. LJ has had 2 teams in relegation danger and has comfortably taken them away in his short career. If he keeps us up he'll have a large amount of money to spend in the summer. I can see him doing well especially considering he plays attractive football. Give the bloke a chance please you're all doing my nut in. 

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The thing is we don't have access to all available information.  If I was making an appointment in any line of work, there are a number of factors I'd consider.  Briefly they might be:

1. Past experience

2. How they come across in the application

3. How they come across in an interview.

4. How well they come across to anyone they speak to outside the organisation.

5. How well they understand the challenges the organisation.

6. How well they understand the culture of the organisation and would it in with other staff, the people they're managing and the people who are managing them. 

7. What ideas or plans they have for the future of the organisation.

All of these and more are important in recruiting the right person and, generally speaking, appointing someone on experience alone and ignoring the other six factors can lead to very bad decisions whilst sometimes the first point matters less because they do  well on points two to seven and you very see what they could bring to the role.

As fans we only have experience of point one.  We know the managers' past experience but we don't really know anything about points two to seven. Therefore we judge the club without really having the full picture.  This might be a bad decision or it might be one where the club have very strong reasons we don't have access to. 

As always a good post to read from you LB

What bemuses me (Maybe I'm too old and cynical !) is if we followed something akin to your well explained process, and I hope we would are we then saying after sifting thro numerous applications and compiling our own headhunting list that the person who came 'top' was .....LJ

If he's appointed I'll be right behind him and give him a full chance  but this does smack of a SL / board choice as opposed to following a process, maybe I'm wrong

If it is a Board/SL choice rather than an extensive 'process' let's at least to be honest (The Board / SL / MA)  about it

6 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I really expected more than an untried League 1 Manager to fight our corner in a relegation fight

Then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Did you believe the nonsense about the chances of us landing a £9M star player? Or a manager in a similar vein?

Christ alive. This is Bristol City ;)

1 hour ago, Running Man said:

Oh dear, LJ in town for talks. Charlton is going to be my last City game if a deal is done, been going down the Gate since 1966. Sad day for me.

45 minutes ago, shepton red said:

....the club is a laughing stock.

I think some of the fans make it a laughing stock!

See the post below from TomPNE:

Jesus wept.

You are currently fighting a relegation battle in the CHAMPIONSHIP. Not a play-off race, a relegation battle. Not in the premier league, but the Championship. What on earth makes you think you can attract managers like you have described? You're deluded if you think Moyes or Pearson or even Monk would have come to you.

As for the guy who said he would stop supporting if he's appointed, maybe you should go and support Rovers? No club needs fans like that.

I hope Johnson turns your season around and all the twunts on here who are fuming about this, implode and have a nervous breakdown.

**** me, I thought our forum was negative.

Good luck and I hope you stay up.

1 hour ago, Running Man said:

Everyone entitled to their opinion, the last time I can close to chucking it in was when I had to put up with watching him play, I can't go to a match and not support the manager and team so I won't be going.

I think OTIB will see this kind of comment again in 15 years when Marlon Pack is named Head Coach!

1 minute ago, Selred said:

We've only conceded once in the last three games though. We were leaking goals left right and centre in our old formation. 

His record at Reading is only 35% win rate, he hasn't got experience of a relegation battle.

If we don't score goals, we won't stay up, whether we keep clean sheets or not. Reading were looking down when he came in and he left them not far outside the play-offs.

He hasn't been involved in a relegation battle because he's managed teams to stay out of relegation trouble. Hardly a black mark? Winning in the Championship is winning in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

If we don't score goals, we won't stay up, whether we keep clean sheets or not. Reading were looking down when he came in and he left them not far outside the play-offs.

He hasn't been involved in a relegation battle because he's managed teams to stay out of relegation trouble. Hardly a black mark? Winning in the Championship is winning in the Championship.

The points per game ratio is more than double what it was in Cotts last ten games in charge. 

So to say we won't stay up unless we score more goals is wide of the mark. Conceding fewer should have been the focus all season, not just since JP took over. 

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

We will score goals though, we will get another striker in on loan. Plus Tomlin will help in that department too. 

Reading were 16th when he took over them, I'd take that position right now! He had a comfortable time at Reading, at West Brom he was poor. Very poor.

11 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Did you believe the nonsense about the chances of us landing a £9M star player? Or a manager in a similar vein?

Christ alive. This is Bristol City ;)

Yes it is Bristol City. I still expected better than LJ. Why the hell are we doing this? Pembo may as well stay on at least no compo to pay out!

41 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Cant believe this.

Am I alone in thinking that if LJ hadn't been an ex player he wouldn't even be on our radar?

True. I believe this is down to relationships. Steve Lansdown always got on well with Gary Johnson, to the point of having a joint press conference when Gary left. That doesn't happen often. SL obviously knows Lee and believes they can have a similar working relationship. Now that there is a new  set up to recruit players, Lee won't be able to make Gary's mistakes with poor big money signings. Whether this is good or bad, only time will tell

26 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Longevity does not alone command respect, a lot of us aren't happy about LJ's impending appointment but to say it's your last game is frankly pathetic. You'd think 50 years of support would teach you that.

I took it as reading he could not support the club while LJ was manager.

Same as I would be if Hollowhead was appointed.

Different league perhaps, but if this is the temporary final straw for a fan of 50 years it may say something at the way this appointment will be viewed more widely and the disillusionment it may cause.

Either way the response I commented on, and purporting to speak on behalf of the majority, was vile.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The points per game ratio is more than double what it was in Cotts last ten games in charge. 

So to say we won't stay up unless we score more goals is wide of the mark. Conceding fewer should have been the focus all season, not just since JP took over. 

That PPG ratio entirely hinges on one game; across the whole four we've scored a single goal.

Personally, if it must be a choice between Pembo and Wade or LJ right now, I would rather stick with what we have for the rest of the season, then depending on what happens, approach him again at the end of the season where we know what league we're going to be playing in.

At least JP has some experience of the Championship and what is required, appointing a guy who's highest management level is League One should not be a move for a club that is harbouring ambitions of the Premier League but first has 17 games to ensure it's Championship survival IMHO.

Managers and players come and go, fans stay for ever. The typically negative response is the main reason we have the pathetic record of only 4 years in the top division for over a century. LJ is a good choice, I expect him to keep us up and move us forward a bit over the next few years . (We shouldn't have sacked SC though). I doubt that we will get to the premier league. Our anxious, negative, neurotic fan base won't allow that to happen

I for one thinks this makes sense, he has the mind set of winning games, lives locally, knows the club.

Is having a yes man that bad...? Cotts wasn't, refused to use wages to full effect. It can't be any coincidence since Ashton came in we're suddenly making signings; having less of a reputation is better than having a bad one it seems. Didn't stop Howe from building a decent side at Bournemouth during either spell there.

I for one will back him. Unpredictable game, yadda yadda yadda.

• Admin

When LJ became the youngest manager in the Football League I was intrigued so have paid fairly close attention to his career since.

For those who ask what contacts he has, he has openly stated in interviews that he realised whilst still a teenager that his career goal was to get into football management and everything he did before that first job was calculated to help him reach that point. Whilst other players went off to catch some sun during international breaks and the close season, LJ sought invitations to various clubs around the world to see how they approach things differently and what could be of benefit to his career. This is a guy who is hugely driven and has spent half his life focussed on becoming what he is today. Lee is definitely a talker and passionate about what he talks about. That together with the kind of players he has already attracted leaves me with no qualms over his ability to convince players to sign for our club.

The only real worry I have is that some of our "supporters" decide to show their version off "support" from day 1 by abusing him at the ground, but fortunately it appears the go to option for these fans could be to stay away. Here's hoping. 

I for one am excited by this potential appointment.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Erm, no, it hinges on all the games. That's what makes it an average :facepalm:

It hinges on the fact we have one win in that time, don't be intentionally ignorant. Over such a short space of time you'd be better judging with your eyes than stats you can't extrapolate.

Whilst not the most positive bunch in the world collectively, I am absolutely staggered at just how negative so many of you are about this. Given the limited amount of time LJ has been a manager, he has completely rebuilt 3 squads, improved the league positions of the clubs he has been at and finale a JPT. 

I'm sure if some of you won the jackpot on a double rollover lottery draw you'd spend the rest of your lives moaning and complaining that it wasn't a triple rollover.

Archived