IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

Good post, but ultimately wasted on here.

Same as Harrys earlier post - liked by 40 odd people but ignored by many as they don't want to hear it.

We need a dynamic, young, forward thinking individual who can drag this club into the 21st century.

For me, he seems the obvious choice, he's cut his teeth at relegation threatened Oldham and, after getting them out of trouble, finished the following season in 9th and attracted plaudits for their style of play - they played us off the park. Once he left, they've gone backwards.

Done similar at Barnsley who, after a difficult start with loads of new players, have now won 6 league games on the trot and booked a place at Wembley.

Cue the "lower league" and "cheap option" ignorant comments.......too late, already started.

All great points but we aren't stuck mid table with time on our hands. We have 17 games left is all! We don't need young, forward thinking etc etc today. We don't need a one for the future. If we go down god forbid, we could be in for a long road back and a half empty stadium! FFS

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Speak for yourself! 

I think there's plenty of people who are optimistic about it, who can see beyond the 'big name' nonsense. 

Well thank you, there's optimism based upon experience and there's optimism based on naivety and hope. I don't know you, but if you're hoping that someone who has managed a couple of smaller teams geographically located in the football hotbed areas, where it has traditionally been easier to recruit players than for instance Bristol which isn't considered as such. Add to that, a manager who has very limited management experience in the Championship, but has made it to the final of a Micky mouse trophy, that at championship level is viewed in the same light as the FA Vase or FA Trophy, then I fear you may be basing your optimism more on hope. Which appears not to be enough for most of the posters on this forum currently. 

Big name managers aren't usually born with such a name, they have usually earned the right to be known as such, and I feel that most of the sentiment being expressed currently is leaning towards wanting City to appoint a known entity, a manager who's "cut it" at Championship level, which LJ cannot currently do. He is "Hope" candidate, unproven at the level we want to play at, and as such, your optimism is just well intentioned blind faith in my opinion. 

City are a big enough club, not to have to take a chance on a lower league hopeful. In twenty years time, you'll be as pissed of as I am about this. I assure you

46 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I think some of the fans make it a laughing stock!

See the post below from TomPNE:

Jesus wept.

You are currently fighting a relegation battle in the CHAMPIONSHIP. Not a play-off race, a relegation battle. Not in the premier league, but the Championship. What on earth makes you think you can attract managers like you have described? You're deluded if you think Moyes or Pearson or even Monk would have come to you.

As for the guy who said he would stop supporting if he's appointed, maybe you should go and support Rovers? No club needs fans like that.

I hope Johnson turns your season around and all the twunts on here who are fuming about this, implode and have a nervous breakdown.

**** me, I thought our forum was negative.

Good luck and I hope you stay up.

Well the club put itself on the pedestal, when it claimed a high calibre if candidate. So don't blame the fans for being disillusioned.

And Mr Preston, TVM for your comments. I do not share the love in with your FC, so find them at best sanctimonious. 

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Means sweet FA.

He has done nothing in this division, respectable 15th place in League one? I don't see that as respectable.

Everybody deserves a chance at a higher level, of course but I don't think he deserves it YET. 

Especially at this time with us.

3 minutes ago, shepton red said:

Well the club put itself on the pedestal, when it claimed a high calibre if candidate. So don't blame the fans for being disillusioned.

The board has made a huge rod for their own backs (if he's appointed).  Talk of aiming for the Premier league and a high calibre of candidate and we look like we're going to end up with a mid table league one manager, who has achieved nothing. If he doesn't hit the ground running - things will get ugly very quickly for both him and the board (and I can see Ashton quickly becoming a hate figure).  

12 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

No , but id rather give an experienced manager double or treble what LJ will get .

What (and this isn't meant to be inflammatory) do you consider an experienced manager to have on their CV?

General experience of managing in the Championship, promotion from the Championship or some other experience?

I don't see the argument of 'Championship experience' as being that valid. It's the same game, played under the same rules just with better players. The individual players aren't going to any different, the formations of sides are largely known, so unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what advantage there is of experience at this level.

13 minutes ago, cswhitlock said:

OMG after reading this forum and topic today i wonder why an one would want to come here. what a bunch of twunts on here.....LJ could well be great but lets not let that get in the way....saw him play for us good ball player excellent pass on him but again far too many couldnt see past the fact his dad was the manger so he must be in the team because of that An integral part of the team that got 2 goals away from the premeir league. Barnsley unbeaten since 19th Dec but lets look past that and just see GJ's son she he will be shit.....FFS take your heads out of your ass and suck it up we aint Real Madrid Man city or even Birmingham we are Bristol City lower league underachievers for too long.....its no longer 1976 too we are in Div 2 not the prem looking for europe

champions League 1 , football league trophy's record club. 99 pts. , almost 100 goals. yes we are Bristol City and we have done 3rd division football to the death , we are looking or should be looking to the next step and the future. This club at the very least should be looking to command a regular top ten finish in the second tier , with good ambitions for the elite and rightly so. you will not achieve this with 3rd division managers and 3rd division views. we must set our sights as high as we can . and if this is as high as we can attain then god help us!

I am really sorry but cannot understand why negative comments about LJ are considered to be critical and it is important to look at some facts:

1. LJ has no track record out of League 1. He has had modest success. He has won nothing yet, not achieved play offs yet. He has not pulled up trees unless we are all arrogant to suggest that Oldham and Barnsley are small fry and no-one else could have done better. Barnsley are currently mid-table and were at the bottom until a very good run was put together. 

2. We are told by our board that we have ambitions for the PL. SL has said very clearly and publicly that next season he expects a push for the PL. That was his plan. 

Having dispensed with a manager who did the double and had a 45% win ratio (which was previously higher prior to this abject season), we should therefore be setting sights on a MANAGER who can take us to the next level. You dont go for someone who is unproven.  To therefore even speak to LJ about becoming our manager is not consistent with the objectives and sound bites that have been coming out of the club. He has no pedigree and cannot yet be considered an improvement on Cotterill. 

We have tried up and coming managers before with DM and KM - it failed. LJ may well prove to be a hit in time but let him demonstrate that. To date, he has not. Playing pretty football is not enough as SC ultimately found out. I suspect that the only real reason LJ is on the radar is because no manager worth his salt would work for this ridiculous structure we now have in place. He has fulfilled a similar role at Barnsley. 

If LJ does get the job, I will support him. However, I am frustrated that we are constantly sold a line about the direction of the club which simply leads to further dismay when it is not realised. The point is it should be realised as we have a billionaire for a owner and a good hardcore of support. There is no reason why we could not get into the higher reaches of the Championship and the PL with a clear plan and putting in place the right team at the top of the club. We consistently fail to do it and the board's track record has been abject.

Ask yourself this question- would SL appoint a junior broker to manage his Investments division at Hargreaves Lansdown - NO, he would not. Nuff said.  

1 minute ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

champions League 1 , football league trophy's record club. 99 pts. , almost 100 goals. yes we are Bristol City and we have done 3rd division football to the death , we are looking or should be looking to the next step and the future. This club at the very least should be looking to command a regular top ten finish in the second tier , with good ambitions for the elite and rightly so. you will not achieve this with 3rd division managers and 3rd division views. we must set our sights as high as we can . and if this is as high as we can attain then god help us!

While i dont dispute your comment and agree we should aim as high as we can....would it not be good if this was with a young hungry manager rather than a journey man manger that hasn't got any affiliation to this club...LJ will divide opinion but if he gets us to the heights we all want will all those on here eat their words or will they just meekly rock up at the gate and sing his name ? i think its a visionary appointment if it happens.....and big old kahunas to LJ saying as the amount of shite he got with all the nepotism calls......has he got a playing age son he could stick in the first team so all the haters can hate even more ? i say back the manager back the team sing for the shirt and the club lets all get us out of the mire....onwards and upwards 

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I like LJ and at the right time I could see it happening, I just think that this ain't it !

We've heard how amazing the list of candidates was , that we wouldn't believe the quality . Well for the first time in ages I was excited with the club being linked with Pearson,Monk, Moyes  and the like. Experience , and connections both of which we really need in the next appointment. Young and hungry is great but if we were to push on, the only way I can see it happening is through a manager that has been there, done it and still has the mates to call on for a favour. If he gets the job, nothing changes, I will go on supporting as I have for years. But I really do think this could have been a statement moment , unless the list wasn't all that in the first place.

Perhaps this is a " statement moment " ? 

LJ has made a good fist of it In League 1 , we should be alright if we sink . :blink:

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What (and this isn't meant to be inflammatory) do you consider an experienced manager to have on their CV?

General experience of managing in the Championship, promotion from the Championship or some other experience?

I don't see the argument of 'Championship experience' as being that valid. It's the same game, played under the same rules just with better players. The individual players aren't going to any different, the formations of sides are largely known, so unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what advantage there is of experience at this level.

So on that assumption LJ could manage Chelsea as well if its just the same game ?

It's a ballsy appointment for sure especially after all that's gone. I can c y the club has gone for him. The doubters will say it's a backward step done on the cheap with a manager of no championship experience. I like wot he's done at the Tykes.  I'm prepared to be patient and hope like the board,  that Lee does a Eddy Howe of Bournmouth. 

Little Lee said ' Bounce around the ground'

COYR

50 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I for one thinks this makes sense, he has the mind set of winning games, lives locally, knows the club.

Is having a yes man that bad...? Cotts wasn't, refused to use wages to full effect. It can't be any coincidence since Ashton came in we're suddenly making signings; having less of a reputation is better than having a bad one it seems. Didn't stop Howe from building a decent side at Bournemouth during either spell there.

I for one will back him. Unpredictable game, yadda yadda yadda.

What sort of dog have you got there?

Uncle TFR

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

It's a ballsy appointment for sure especially after all that's gone. I can c y the club has gone for him. The doubters will say it's a backward step done on the cheap with a manager of no championship experience. I like wot he's done at the Tykes.  I'm prepared to be patient and hope like the board,  that Lee does a Eddy Howe of Bournmouth. 

Little Lee said ' Bounce around the ground'

COYR

So it's not a lazy appointment, and no-one else would touch us with a shitty stick?

Uncle TFR

52 minutes ago, Ian M said:

When LJ became the youngest manager in the Football League I was intrigued so have paid fairly close attention to his career since.

For those who ask what contacts he has, he has openly stated in interviews that he realised whilst still a teenager that his career goal was to get into football management and everything he did before that first job was calculated to help him reach that point. Whilst other players went off to catch some sun during international breaks and the close season, LJ sought invitations to various clubs around the world to see how they approach things differently and what could be of benefit to his career. This is a guy who is hugely driven and has spent half his life focussed on becoming what he is today. Lee is definitely a talker and passionate about what he talks about. That together with the kind of players he has already attracted leaves me with no qualms over his ability to convince players to sign for our club.

The only real worry I have is that some of our "supporters" decide to show their version off "support" from day 1 by abusing him at the ground, but fortunately it appears the go to option for these fans could be to stay away. Here's hoping. 

I for one am excited by this potential appointment.

Fully agree. Best post I've read on this thread by far.

Given a grown up and appropriate welcome, and support and opportunity, LJ will easily surpass his father's BCFC highlights.

Get behind him - if he comes - or stay away.

13 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

have we not learnt from previous appointments? 

Good luck to LJ but this does not bode well.

au contraire - the unpopularity bodes very well

25 minutes ago, Nibor said:

On the plus side we've now answered the question as to whether Mark Ashton has a clue or not.  Not a ******* single one. Unbelievable. 

Whereas you do, you mean?  I only wish I knew as much about football, or was as good a judge of character, as you are.  I am in awe of you.

Archived