IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

1 minute ago, Lord Northski said:

Just wondered if Mark Ashton thought he would be doing the popular thing by appointing LJ, which he clearly isn't. He maybe able to spin it that he knows he's not doing the popular thing in appointing him, and in so doing sound like he's prepared to go against popular opinion in the pursuit of sucsess. But we'll all know that it's bullshit. 

City have reverted to type and done what they always do in such situations.Gone for the cheap option. Gone for the might be good, rather than is already. They're about to appoint a manager without any Championship experience, when they're already deep in trouble at the foot in the league and could well be relegated. His appointment won't encourage any big name players to join. City will continue to be the footballing backwater we have always appeared to be. Above all the sense of missed opportunity hangs heavy over today.

We have seen City repeatedly make awful appointments, alas most of them appointed by Steve Lansdown, the person responsible for the actual clubs survival. Clearly, he's now got Mark Ashton to do the headhunting for him this time, but it has the hallmarks of a Lansdown appointment all over it. Like most I find it incredible that Steve has been so exceptional in world business, yet he clearly struggles to appoint a football manager ever time (almost)

We had a chance here to make a great appointment, we've got at best a might be good appointment. I'm so bitterly disappointed by this incredibly average apoointment. The sense of inadequacy of this appointment appears to be almost universal amongst city fans. Most fans will be wondering how could they even consider making such a car crash of an appointment? How could they misjudge the likely reaction to another "on the cheap" appointment? And how are they going to stop the inevitable train wreck without loosing face. The fans know this is a poor appointment, they didn't want him, they deserved better and they'll lay into Johnson in an really unfair way at his first mistake. But he's not to blame, he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

There will be trouble ahead. Who knew? Everyone did.

This... is spot on... great post... exactly my sentiments...

Just for the record , I wanted Lee all along.

Best appointment we could make. Can't believe we've got our man.

OK maybe I would have preferred NP but I remember having a OTIB chat with Spudski and some others and I was well up for LJ coming here at that time as and when SC left as were many others. 

Am I disappointed if this goes through? On balance - No.

Will I give him every chance and support- you betcha!

I loved his Dad ( mostly) I rated LJ as a player much more than many I know and I'm damn sure he's an intelligent, strategic and astute Manager. 

Not my first choice but I'll be very pleased it's him. Don't underestimate this guy.

@Lord Northski

How can you say it's clearly not a popular choice. It's not clear to me. This forum is showing a fairly mixed response. Granted the haters are putting their point across much more vehemently and, in my opinion, in an extremely over the top manner but it is far from clear to me. Someone should do a poll and I think you'd be surprised. 

I don't believe LJ would ever have been considered an option if he wasn't an ex-employee. Nothing in his managerial record so far stands out in a way that would obviously attract a neutral.

If SL is going for him just because he likes somethimg about him, for me that is very risky. If you look at it objectively he wouldn't be on the list purely on proven ability.

Maybe it will be an inspired 'punt'. Going on their track record with managers I wouldn't be too confident with their judgement though.

If he takes the job and we go down I fear the fans may turn on him quite quickly. Does make you wonder if SL is even aware of how divided opinion was on LJ when he was here!

12 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

@Lord Northski

How can you say it's clearly not a popular choice. It's not clear to me. This forum is showing a fairly mixed response. Granted the haters are putting their point across much more vehemently and, in my opinion, in an extremely over the top manner but it is far from clear to me. Someone should do a poll and I think you'd be surprised. 

No problem, when I started writing it earlier (then got interupted by proper work) the vast majority of posters appeared to be dead against. There was the occasional person who, like you are looking forward to his arrival. But of the 1000 or so people who were online at the time, most appeared to echo such sentiments. 

I don't know anyone personally who is even showing even the merest hint of enthusiasm for LJ as City manager. All, without exception beleive, or rather beleived we were capable of landing the type of manager capable of taking us to the next level (upwards) or at least maintaining our present one. I do not know LJ, I have never met him and all I have to go upon is the interviews I have seen on telly, local radio or City Player, but I can never remember being impressed with what I saw. He is reasonably eloquent, reasonably knowledgable and seems a nice bloke and nothing about him shouts Championship manager or better. I hope I'm wrong. Lets face it were stuck with the bloke for as long as, well as long as he can take it probably. 

I kind of envy those who have seen something in him that I haven't. I would be a lot happier than I am now. Just wish that we could have someone who everyone wants, or at least a resonable percentage. He's doing OK in the lower leagues isn't enough for me anymore, but you appear to be happy with that. 

I do predict that the fans will round on the bloke as soon as the smallest thing goes wrong, they will be mercyless and it won't end happily. It maybe the thing that finally makes Steve Lansdown throw in the towel because he can't stand the crap anymore. All this could be avoided if someone else was appointed. 

I think the thing that ***** me off the most with this is that it's taken 3 weeks to happen. 3 weeks at this stage of the season, at the position we're in, is paramount to the team and new manager. LJ was available 3 weeks ago. He hasn't changed as a man or a manager from when Cotts was sacked, to now. Suddenly he wins a few games and wins MOTM and the club want to talk to him and think he's good enough to become our next manager and that worries me. 

If he really was top of the list then he could've been in charged by the Birmingham game or maybe even the Leeds game. **** knows what the board have been doing all this time to go to someone that they could've approached 9am the day after Cotts was sacked.

1 minute ago, Lord Northski said:

No problem, when I started writing it earlier (then got interupted by proper work) the vast majority of posters appeared to be dead against. There was the occasional person who, like you are looking forward to his arrival. But of the 1000 or so people who were online at the time, most appeared to echo such sentiments. 

I don't know anyone personally who is even showing even the merest hint of enthusiasm for LJ as City manager. All, without exception beleive, or rather beleived we were capable of landing the type of manager capable of taking us to the next level (upwards) or at least maintaining our present one. I do not know LJ, I have never met him and all I have to go upon is the interviews I have seen on telly, local radio or City Player, but I can never remember being im

1000 people? Really? I've been reading it during the day and I don't think there's been anywhere near that amount giving an opinion let alone the majority of that number being against it. The poll will reveal all I guess.

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If he really was top of the list then he could've been in charged by the Birmingham game or maybe even the Leeds game. **** knows what the board have been doing all this time to go to someone that they could've approached 9am the day after Cotts was sacked.

To answer your question, don't forget we'd be surprised by some of the people who had applied, and whereas we cannot see this list and therefore couldn't actually react with any surprise, they obviously could see this list and therefore may well have been recoiling in an extended state of surprise. It's possible that they've only just recovered their composure from that amazing surprise in time to make this decision? I'm holding on for Mark Ashton's version and looking forward to more surprises!

Nigel Adkins went from S****horpe physio to manager and got promotion to the Championship. He later gained two successive promotions with Southampton and got them into the Premiership. So lack of previous experience isn't always a problem. I'm not saying Lee Johnson will be a good or bad appointment, just don't pre judge him.  

Barnsley fans are fuming with him. They said how they stuck with him earlier in the season after a terrible run of results but have said how he's jumped ship after a few wins!

I don't blame them. This is an awful appointment by City! I've already resigned to relegation and certainly won't be renewing.

But that's just me, everybody has an opinion.

Oddly I find this could be quite a unifying appointment. The anti-LJ sentiments on here I think could lead to many fans being even more vociferous in their support of him. I for one, if he is appointed, will give a bloody loud cheer when he first walks out at AG. 

For those saying he's not up to it, I would wager the board have canvassed Korey Smith for his opinion on a bloke that, unlike the anti-brigade, knows his work, his methods, his capabilities and his abilities. 

I also think this is a very naive move by City, not understanding the relations had with him as a player here! He was like marmite to City fans and I think the board are making a massive mistake in appointing him.

There was thread earlier about booing him when he walks the side out at Ipswich?!!! I don't agree with that but I'm fed up of being left in the dark by the club.

LISTEN TO YOUR SUPPORTERS/CUSTOMERS 

Just now, Lew-T said:

I also think this is a very naive move by City, not understanding the relations had with him as a player here! He was like marmite to City fans and I think the board are making a massive mistake in appointing him.

There was thread earlier about booing him when he walks the side out at Ipswich?!!! I don't agree with that but I'm fed up of being left in the dark by the club.

LISTEN TO YOUR SUPPORTERS/CUSTOMERS 

Or, don't as they didn't with SC. 

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Barnsley fans are fuming with him. They said how they stuck with him earlier in the season after a terrible run of results but have said how he's jumped ship after a few wins!

I don't blame them. This is an awful appointment by City! I've already resigned to relegation and certainly won't be renewing.

But that's just me, everybody has an opinion.

Have you learnt nothing from the Cotterill appointment? The success of a manager is often more about the fit between the individual and the club. Past success at other clubs is no guarantee of future success here. Likewise a mediocre record does not guarantee failure here - as Cotterill proved.

Would Lee Johnson be my first choice? Absolutely not! Will I give him a chance and back him should he be appointed? Absolutely!

You've ignored all history and made your mind up before the new man has even put pen to paper, and that's ridiculous. Get a grip, and give him a chance.

Archived