IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

No guarantee he'd be able to spend the money on the players he wanted though.

What's the point of a large pot of cash if the players won't come?

Will LJ honestly be able to tempt them?

Perhaps as he seems such a friendly character, he might be well respected and able to tempt players with his charm and wit.

Attracting players won't be his job.

We're clearly not in the market for an old-school manager who controls everything and signs players he already knows about.

Johnson would be a head coach, would identify players to sign along with Burt and Ashton and then the latter two would be responsible for signing them.

Given that our record at concluding transfers improved dramatically when Ashton arrived I think it's reasonable to hope that he can convince players to join.

24 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

There are some pathetically melodramatic reactions on here. LJ wouldn't be my first choice, but I guarantee we've had worse managers than him appointed in my 35 years as a Bristol City fan. I support the club, not the manager and if LJ is appointed he will have my support as head coach of the club. If the appointment of a a manager you don't particularly like causes you to stop supporting the club, then may I speak on behalf of the vast majority when I say "**** off and don't let the door hit you on your way out"

How incredibly rude and unnecessary

The guy's been supporting BCFC for 50 years and deserves some respect amongst fellow fans for that.

You do not speak on my behalf..

Maybe we're looking at taking him on in the summer.

Perhaps this could be a Pep Guardiola type announcement?

John and Wade to manage until the end of the campaign, LJ to take over in the summer.

Leave the man alone to enjoy his day in charge at Wembley, for God's sake!

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Sorry, but Oldham aren't Bristol City. 

He took Oldham, who has one of the smallest budgets, out of the relegation zone in his first season. Second season took the club to 15th, and then was 9th when he left. Very very impressive with the budget he had.

At Barnsley he had a very poor start, but now hasn't lost since December 19th, and has got them to the JPT final. Good turn around and shows great strength as a manager to changesome of his tactics to get results. Something Cotts couldn't do this season. 

If LJ were at City he would have got the chop before he had the chance to turn it around, 9 defeats from 10 isn't inspiring in anyone's book.

It's the same old bollocks. Ashton sells us lines about Championship experience, right fit, bla bla bla, and we end up with an ex-player with a few years' work in League 1.

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Whatever happens, he won't be sticking round long. Already earning a reputation of getting a whiff of a better opportunity and scarpering. Not long after he had a go at one Oldham player (can't remember who) for not signing a new deal and showing commitment to the club, he disappeared off to Barnsley.

I share that concern but, to be fair to the guy, he left Oldham after being placed in a very difficult situation due to the Ched Evans situation and it may be we're a unique case in that he spent his longest period here as a player and SL was the person who advised him to help him get his first job in management. It might be that he is a bit flaky and will run after a better opportunity or might actually be two fairly unique sets of circumstances.  Certainly he jumps ship here for a better offer within the next year that wouldn't reflect well on him but that said, if he's getting better offers than us in a year's time, it will at least mean things have gone pretty well. 

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Cant believe this.

Am I alone in thinking that if LJ hadn't been an ex player he wouldn't even be on our radar?

See I think the opposite haha. If he wasn't an ex player I think people would have had him picked out: like people had with Jimmy Floyd Hassellbaink as one that we should be watching.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The guy's been supporting BCFC for 50 years and deserves some respect amongst fellow fans for that.

Longevity does not alone command respect, a lot of us aren't happy about LJ's impending appointment but to say it's your last game is frankly pathetic. You'd think 50 years of support would teach you that.

7 minutes ago, ForeverRed said:

Were we not bottom, or one off in, albeit a lower division when Cott's came in. And he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when he joined us?

True, however, once promoted, SC was struggling to adapt and was unlikely to keep us in the championship

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

If LJ were at City he would have got the chop before he had the chance to turn it around, 9 defeats from 10 isn't inspiring in anyone's book.

It's the same old bollocks. Ashton sells us lines about Championship experience, right fit, bla bla bla, and we end up with an ex-player with a few years' work in League 1.

Who would fit the criteria set?

He wants a head coach, who is young, plays good football and has Championship experience. 

Johnson is 3/4 of those, I can't think of any realistic candidates that are all 4. Honestly name me people who would be better. 

So my wife says "Shall we go away at half term?"

No sorry, City are at home to Ipswich on the Saturday, don't really want to miss that

Wife: , Oh, ok......(disappointed)

Now this LJ thing looks like it's gonna happen,  I'm definitely thinking about getting a late deal and saying bollocks to the game. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

We've gone from in League One and at risk of League Two football the following season to in the Championship with a decent chance of staying up.  Bit confused by your point. 

My point is that a lot of people didn't want Cotts. He did a great job in L1. He got us to the Championship and was found wanting. We now employ a manager with no experience in this league and we expect him to keep us up? Hang on .... are we just readying for L1 anyway? It shows no ambition at all IMO. I don't want a coach with potential, I want someone to get a grip of everything we have at our disposal and scrap to stay and stay up. I've nothing against him at all and will support the team and him whatever happens but this really worries me and I feel let down... yet again!

Sorry, but Oldham aren't Bristol City. 

He took Oldham, who has one of the smallest budgets, out of the relegation zone in his first season. Second season took the club to 15th, and then was 9th when he left. Very very impressive with the budget he had.

At Barnsley he had a very poor start, but now hasn't lost since December 19th, and has got them to the JPT final. Good turn around and shows great strength as a manager to changesome of his tactics to get results. Something Cotts couldn't do this season. 

Read the Barnsley forum, the tactics and football changed due to a few key injuries, they wanted him out a few weeks ago and reckon he stumbled on a formation that works.

His has achieved nothing major of note as a rookie manager, surely Justin Edinburgh would have been a better option if we're going for a lower league manager.

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

See I think the opposite haha. If he wasn't an ex player I think people would have had him picked out: like people had with Jimmy Floyd Hassellbaink as one that we should be watching.

I would n't have gone for JFL either , nor Monk .

I was hoping for an experienced Championship coach at the off , style 'Steve Clarke ' , but now would prefer to let Pemberton stay on until the end of the season and decide then .

If he did enough give him a rolling one year contract , if it proved too much for him then get Someone else In .

Who would fit the criteria set?

He wants a head coach, who is young, plays good football and has Championship experience. 

Johnson is 3/4 of those, I can't think of any realistic candidates that are all 4. Honestly name me people who would be better. 

Which of those criteria is most likely to keep us up? People harked on about Cotterill's ability to do it in League 1 and not the Championship. If that's the case, why replace him with someone who has never managed a single game in the Championship?

25 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Be funny if he turned us down.

That did cross my mind too. People who don't want him would be then shouting that we couldn't even get LJ.

what a mess, but why am I not surprised. :sad26:

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

If you think LJ's achievements at Barnsley and Oldham are on a par with what JFH did at tiny Burton I think you need to have a quiet talk with yourself mate.

His Oldham team played some nice football first time he came back but I'm really struggling with this one.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Which of those criteria is most likely to keep us up? People harked on about Cotterill's ability to do it in League 1 and not the Championship. If that's the case, why replace him with someone who has never managed a single game in the Championship?

Name me realistic targets. Seriously.

No-one has named me someone who is realistic, and obviously a better choice than Johnson.  

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

You're wrong my friend , compensation to Barnsley won't come cheap .

You are correct there Major, I will support LJ if he is appointed but I think that as usual there is a knee jerk reaction to this news as if we believed the spin from AG, we were going to appoint someone with Chsp or Pre experience and once again as fans we get the door slammed in our face and are bitterly disaapointed but it comes with the territory as a City supporter. The rest of the season will tell and there is then the massive job of filling a 27,000 seater stadium. Hopefully it will be for Championship games but I have a feeling of deja-vu as going down the gate for 55+ years does to you

Archived