IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

What does LJ offer over Pembo ? Really I cannot even get close to understanding why LJ is on any list of potential new manager/coach. Let him get Barnsley plotted first, and get a year in the Championship . Managers change every  2 to 3 years, he would be right next time round... 

I believe he ran through his interview presentation with SL before his interview at Oldham and was very impressive. Lots of people can put together an impressive presentation though.

He's an intelligent, articulate and likeable chap who stands a good chance of being successful, but I can't help worrying that City is the wrong club at the wrong time for him.

20 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Reads as if they've accepted that he will no longer be in charge, almost as if someone's died!! Very strange indeed.

If it happens it will either be a huge disaster or a stroke of genius. I think there could be a lot of people eating humble pie if it happens and the results start happening. I do worry that he'll struggle to attract the better type of players though. On the plus side, does Barnsley have a decent striker that could follow him.....

As we play no part in the search and selection of the next manager if LJ is the boards choice and he is appointed then there's not a lot any of us can do about it and that's the reality we all face.

There are some apocalyptic doom mongers who have commented on this thread who wouldn't be happy if we appointed Mourinho* as "Head Coach" Franz Beckenbauer* as "Director of Football" and Pele* as "Chief Scout". (*Insert other world famous, world class person from football as applicable*)

15 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Should add - I hope LJ finds room for Pembo and Wadey in his set up

To be honest, I hope that's a condition placed on any new manager coming in.  I don't actually think it's good practice to have managers dictating who the rest of the backroom staff are.  It ends with a situation where everyone leaves whenever a new manager comes in and there's no continuity.  Wade especially.  I can see no valid reason why the first-team manager should be in charge of appointing the under-21 boss.

The way some fans on this board have behaved in the past by blaming him for every mishap at this club, I would not fault him if he told the club to shove the job up their ar** for the way the fans have disrespected him over the years.

However, I believe he more professional than that and if he was to except the position if offered then we all need to get behind the bloke and get this club buzzing again.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

With theirs amongst the very smallest budgets and gates in the league, you'd argue that sustaining Oldham at that level is a much more difficult task than keeping a reasonably well supported team backed by a billionaire from being amongst the three worst in the Championship. 

No guarantee he'd be able to spend the money on the players he wanted though.

What's the point of a large pot of cash if the players won't come?

Will LJ honestly be able to tempt them?

Perhaps as he seems such a friendly character, he might be well respected and able to tempt players with his charm and wit.

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

As we play no part in the search and selection of the next manager if LJ is the boards choice and he is appointed then there's not a lot any of us can do about it and that's the reality we all face.

There are some apocalyptic doom mongers who have commented on this thread who wouldn't be happy if we appointed Mourinho* as "Head Coach" Franz Beckenbauer* as "Director of Football" and Pele* as "Chief Scout". (*Insert other world famous, world class person from football as applicable*)

To be fair, Pele's scouting skils are famously dubious...

1 minute ago, ForeverRed said:

Were we not bottom, or one off in, albeit a lower division when Cott's came in. And he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when he joined us?

no but I think we need someone with more experience. TBH I don't know what to think…we're fed lines about ambition etc but we need to avoid relegation at all costs NOW. 

Whatever happens, he won't be sticking round long. Already earning a reputation of getting a whiff of a better opportunity and scarpering. Not long after he had a go at one Oldham player (can't remember who) for not signing a new deal and showing commitment to the club, he disappeared off to Barnsley.

Think pembo would be a cheap option. Like a millen mark 2.

Can't help but think these so called big named managers were not prepared to work with our board. Esp as a head coach with minimal control over ins and outs.

LJ was as loyal as a dog when he was here and seems the board may exploit that loyalty and turn him into some sort of yes man. When it all goes bandy who's the bloke who gets it in the neck? LJ. 

I've not got the time or patience to wade through pages and pages of unbalanced and irrational drivel so I've jumped to what was the last page - and added some of my own.

As I've said elsewhere a footballing footballer. I'd welcome him with open arms.

If he's free on Saturday and if the love of my life isn't wanting to come to Charlton Little Lee can sit next to me.

Get him in. And do it now.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Whatever happens, he won't be sticking round long. Already earning a reputation of getting a whiff of a better opportunity and scarpering. Not long after he had a go at one Oldham player (can't remember who) for not signing a new deal and showing commitment to the club, he disappeared off to Barnsley.

That's life. Clubs show no loyalty to managers, why shouldn't it go the other way?

Like the fans that spend 90 minutes hurling abuse at someone then do their nut when they get a bite!

I always liked Lee as a player, always respected his effort and at times quality. Thought he got a bit of a rough ride from some in the latter stages of his City career and he had run his course with us when he left. 

He has gone away, out of his geographical comfort zone, and made a name for himself as a good young coach, who plays good football. He has also had a massive hand in developing one of the best young players in the lower leagues, and someone that many on here wanted on deadline day in Sam Winnall. He has just taken his side to Wembley and has won the manager of the month award, which for what its worth would suggest he is hitting his straps as a boss.

With all the above said I am concerned with his lack of Championship experience and also with the lack of pull this will give us with new players, possibly Winnall aside. I think there are good and bad elements to this appointment and his Dad's shadow may be his biggest enemy but I just hope he is given a fair crack of the whip.

14 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

In short, he did an above average job at one League 1 club for two years, and then an average job at another League 1 club for a year. And that's it.

Is that the kind of appointment you make to keep a club in the Championship?

Sorry, but Oldham aren't Bristol City. 

He took Oldham, who has one of the smallest budgets, out of the relegation zone in his first season. Second season took the club to 15th, and then was 9th when he left. Very very impressive with the budget he had.

At Barnsley he had a very poor start, but now hasn't lost since December 19th, and has got them to the JPT final. Good turn around and shows great strength as a manager to changesome of his tactics to get results. Something Cotts couldn't do this season. 

10 minutes ago, daored said:

Pemberton should stay in the coaching role and Wade with the U 21's getting experience. Who is LJ''s assistant at barnsley?

Tommy Wright according to wiki, not sure if he was at the club before LJ got there and he kept him on, or if he's one of LJ's trusted assistants
John Vaughan is GK coach, had a short loan spell here many moons ago

2 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Yea Cotts great in L1. Now look at us!

No idea why this (^) is here?

Archived