IGNORED

IT'S HAPPENING

Shtanley

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

It hinges on the fact we have one win in that time, don't be intentionally ignorant.

The point is that THUS FAR since Cotterill left, we are looking much more likely to stay up than if he were still here. That's backed up by the cold hard fact that we are getting more points per game than when he was in charge. 

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I took it as reading he could not support the club while LJ was manager.

Same as I would be if Hollowhead was appointed.

Different league perhaps, but if this is the temporary final straw for a fan of 50 years it may say something at the way this appointment will be viewed more widely and the disillusionment it may cause.

Either way the response I commented on, and purporting to speak on behalf of the majority, was vile.

I think you're being overly-generous here.  Even if he is saying he can't support the club whilst LJ is manager, that is massively different to not supporting the club if Holloway was appointed.  Holloway is a legend and favourite of our rivals who has been less than complimentary about the club in the past.  I don't know exactly how I'd react if he were ever appointed manager but certainly I can admire and respect anyone who felt the principled stance was not to support the manager in that context and hence stay away for the time he was there.

LJ, on the other hand, is an ex-Bristol City player who has never said a bad word about the club, put personal feelings aside to remain on good terms with the club when his father was sacked and, whatever one thinks of his quality or performances, it's hard to dispute that he showed resilience in giving his all for the club when fans got on his back.  I can see why people think he lacks experience for the role but there is absolutely no principle or honour on refusing so support him as a manager.

Fair play to the guy for supporting City for fifty years but that doe not excuse him for a reaction that is graceless, petty, small-minded, short-sighted, intolerant and throwing his toys out of the pram about a decision that he doesn't like even though he and nobody else knows how it will play out.

I completely respect and sympathise with the reasons why people may be unhappy at the appointment.   But, for me, being unhappy at an appointment is one thing.  Refusing to support the club because they give the job to an ex-player who showed commitment to the club for six years and has always been complimentary about us, and refusing to even wait and see how the appointment pans out before refusing to attend matches, is another thing entirely.  And my view is it's a thoroughly shoddy attitude and tough to class it as 'support'.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It hinges on the fact we have one win in that time, don't be intentionally ignorant. Over such a short space of time you'd be better judging with your eyes than stats you can't extrapolate.

I do judge with my eyes, and if you do also, and think we look worse under JP than SC then I'd recommend a trip to the opticians!

At this stage, being hard to beat is what will keep us in this league. And for the first time all season, we look hard to beat. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

We are now in disbelief at the person they're about to appoint.

Speak for yourself! 

I think there's plenty of people who are optimistic about it, who can see beyond the 'big name' nonsense. 

Plenty of 'big names' fail spectacularly in management. 

7 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I for one thinks this makes sense, he has the mind set of winning games, lives locally, knows the club.

Is having a yes man that bad...? Cotts wasn't, refused to use wages to full effect. It can't be any coincidence since Ashton came in we're suddenly making signings; having less of a reputation is better than having a bad one it seems. Didn't stop Howe from building a decent side at Bournemouth during either spell there.

I for one will back him. Unpredictable game, yadda yadda yadda.

He lives locally? Hell of a commute to Barnsley then....

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Great news if true.  A perfect fit for the job.  A hungry young manager and coach, as highly regarded as anyone in his age group, who knows the city, knows the club and knows the people.  I couldn't be more pleased.

What a pragmatic approach!

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I do judge with my eyes, and if you do also, and think we look worse under JP than SC then I'd recommend a trip to the opticians!

At this stage, being hard to beat is what will keep us in this league. And for the first time all season, we look hard to beat. 

If we don't score goals, we will not stay up, all the 0-0s you like won't change that.

Apart from this month, what has he done to even warrant an interview, let alone the job?!

Barnsley are 12th in League One, before a few wins, they were right in the mire struggling to stay in the division below?

IMO this is just a cheap experiment, and it's a massive experiment. I don't think there hasn't been more of important time for this club. To appoint a non proven manager with zero experience is a huge, huge risk.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Great news if true.  A perfect fit for the job.  A hungry young manager and coach, as highly regarded as anyone in his age group, who knows the city, knows the club and knows the people.  I couldn't be more pleased.

You see, if you don't mention the name Lee Johnson when you post, the person you just described sounds a perfect fit to me. Funny that.

OMG after reading this forum and topic today i wonder why an one would want to come here. what a bunch of twunts on here.....LJ could well be great but lets not let that get in the way....saw him play for us good ball player excellent pass on him but again far too many couldnt see past the fact his dad was the manger so he must be in the team because of that An integral part of the team that got 2 goals away from the premeir league. Barnsley unbeaten since 19th Dec but lets look past that and just see GJ's son she he will be shit.....FFS take your heads out of your ass and suck it up we aint Real Madrid Man city or even Birmingham we are Bristol City lower league underachievers for too long.....its no longer 1976 too we are in Div 2 not the prem looking for europe

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Don't forget he's someone who Brendan Rodgers praised strongly too

I personally don't see how this is a bad appointment? 

Has done wonders with the budgets given to him at two clubs, proven quality coach. Young and hungry for success, knows the club inside and out. 

Knocking him before he's had a chance to sign the paper is poor. See where we are this time next year before making judgement. Learnt that from the Cotterill appointment. 

41 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

I’m really not fussed who the next manager is, what division we play in or where we play, Ive been through the ups and downs and I will follow Bristol City regardless. Its all part of the beautiful game just enjoy the ride which ever direction it takes us.

There are far worst things going on in this world to get upset about.

Yes you are correct regarding the priority of a football manager v world events.

However, when people spend their hard earn the pennies following their team, and question the logic in appointing an ex player, who at the very least divided opinion, they have every right to voice their dissatisfaction. The FC bigged up the calibre of applicant, and we get an unproven L1 manager. I was not expecting Jose or Pep, but come on LJ????

i wish him well, but he really is taking a sip from a poisoned chalice.

per Ardua ad Astra

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Apart from this month, what has he done to even warrant an interview, let alone the job?!

Barnsley are 12th in League One, before a few wins, they were right in the mire struggling to stay in the division below?

IMO this is just a cheap experiment, and it's a massive experiment. I don't think there hasn't been more of important time for this club. To appoint a non proven manager with zero experience is a huge, huge risk.

I like LJ and at the right time I could see it happening, I just think that this ain't it !

We've heard how amazing the list of candidates was , that we wouldn't believe the quality . Well for the first time in ages I was excited with the club being linked with Pearson,Monk, Moyes  and the like. Experience , and connections both of which we really need in the next appointment. Young and hungry is great but if we were to push on, the only way I can see it happening is through a manager that has been there, done it and still has the mates to call on for a favour. If he gets the job, nothing changes, I will go on supporting as I have for years. But I really do think this could have been a statement moment , unless the list wasn't all that in the first place.

Archived