IGNORED

Are we too good to go down?

Super

12 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Dont think anyone is too good to go down, you are where you are,  alot of teams have that arrogance, Wolves a few seasons ago was a classic example.

Wolves this season is an example. You're spot on. Maybe a few teams are too good to go down in theory but no one is so good that it's impossible. 

Depends on so many things...not just the playing staff, but the whole health of the Club. Plus you can be unlucky as well as lucky.

This division gets harder by the year, and it is a lot harder for clubs that are less well established to compete.

Look at the team that played in the 2008 play off final and compare it with today. It's quiet comparable in many ways... Trundle/Tomlin...Adebola/Wilbs... Orr/Matthews... Carey/Flint....McAllister/Goldbourne....Basso/FF.... Elliott/Smith....etc,etc.

Then you look at our depth and players like Tammy...and I'd say the present team edges the 2008 play off final team.

They made the play off finals...yet fans are worried that we might go down. How things change.

I really don't think we'll go down simply because I believe Rotherham, Burton and Wigan are prime candidates for the drop .

They are not so attractive to players so recruitment will be hard for them in January and it's clear that they lack quality to sustain a season in this league .

There are other clubs to throw into the mix , Blackburn , Cardiff , QPR who are in disarray and could get sucked into the dogfight.

We are far from nailed on Championship performers but we do have the priceless ability to win matches even though we are n't playing well and have not been hammered by any team. ( I am touching wood that that continues ! ) 

In short , we are too good to go down but we are City and foot shooting has been our strong point over the years .

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

Depends on so many things...not just the playing staff, but the whole health of the Club. Plus you can be unlucky as well as lucky.

This division gets harder by the year, and it is a lot harder for clubs that are less well established to compete.

Look at the team that played in the 2008 play off final and compare it with today. It's quiet comparable in many ways... Trundle/Tomlin...Adebola/Wilbs... Orr/Matthews... Carey/Flint....McAllister/Goldbourne....Basso/FF.... Elliott/Smith....etc,etc.

Then you look at our depth and players like Tammy...and I'd say the present team edges the 2008 play off final team.

They made the play off finals...yet fans are worried that we might go down. How things change.

Are you saying that Darren Byfield wasn't of the same standard as Tammy?! ;)

I think it's too early for this thread seeing we are safely in mid table at the moment and to the people who say look at our current form I say to them look at the teams below us. We've beaten 5 of them, drawn with 1 and lost two, the three games that we failed to win were all away. That sort of form will see us safe enough especially if we beat another team below us tonight :fingerscrossed:

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

Genuinely think 2008 was a bit of a freak year at this level. Yes things have obviously moved on slightly but i still dont think the door is shut for a league one team to come up to this level not spend HUGE and still get in the top 6 like we did in 08..Lets not forget for how much we spent in the summer of 07 and the following Jan of 08 we were still punching above our weight massively that year.

To answer the OP's question in theory we have more than enough to finish top half this season but as a fanbase we should have more than enough experience at this level over the last decade to know how unpredictable it can be.. For me we will be fine this year, between about 8th and 14th is where i see us in May.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Part of me thinks yes. Any thoughts?

You know how it is though mate... media read the forum, translate it to 'fans concerned Club may go down'...make a story of it, we have a couple defeats, pressure builds on the manager and players...and before you know it, we actually end up in the mire ;-)

Think we need a ' do you think we could do a 2008 and make the play offs' thread....could just as likely happen in this league. someone always seems to get a bit of luck or bad luck in an average side. ;-)

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think we need a ' do you think we could do a 2008 and make the play offs' thread....could just as likely happen in this league. someone always seems to get a bit of luck or bad luck in an average side. ;-)

I agree seeing that we are actually closer to the play offs than we are to the relegation zone

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

because being an average side is not what I want city to be, I have supported city for 50 years and they have been average for far too much of that time, that's why I find it depressing

I do get your point but surely it's all about progress being made which it is.

22 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

History is littered with teams thought too good to go down-by their own fans and those of other clubs..  

I would suggest that the North Bristol supporters thought they were 'too good to go down' on 3rd May 2014. We all know what happened ! 

We've taken 10 points from our last 10 games - if we continue at one point per game until the end of the season, we'd finish on 53 points, which would most likely mean finishing a few places above 22nd. Peterborough went down with 54 points in 2012-13 but that was very much a high water mark - and a points tally in the high 40s / low 50s is normally enough to survive.

That said, I think we'll be more comfortable than that as I would expect us to average more than a point per game between now and May. Our last 10 games were 4 at home and 6 away, and one of those 4 home games was against a Brighton team who are stronger than most (if not all) of the teams who are yet to visit AG this season. 

No one is safe in the championship it's a tough league. We just need to cut out the silly mistakes and become more consistent. I believe we will stay up but nothing is certain in the championship except at least one of the premiership relegated 3 goes straight back up. This year it looks like  Newcastle. 

Archived