IGNORED

Eliasson Signs!

ChilternRed

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

I think the main pririty is a central midfielder that can run the park

You are probably right but do we have that player at the club already? Think Brownhill could be that player just needs the games and instruction to do so. In my opinion of course. 

What I know we don't have is natural wingers bar one in O'Dowda and we severely lack pace. This, if it happens, solves those problems a bit. I am not against another midfielder, keeper or striker but for me a pacy winger is a must if only to have that threat away from home. 

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He was right footed playing wide on left. Nothing else implied.

I know we are going back a few years but pretty sure Jimmy Mann had a thunderbolt left foot as I recall? Used to smash some 30yd beauties in from free kicks. Also though he played in midfield?

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

That's very interesting (didn't know that), but there are advantages from an out swinging cross - i e the position from which the ball is crossed. A good traditional winger (if they still exist) will go past the full back and cross from the goal line which can cause problems for defenders and allows attacking players to run at the ball generating more power on the header. The attacking players can also, if they run from a deep position, arrive unmarked. With players who deliver inswinging crosses the ball is often crossed from a wide position near edge of the penalty area with the defenders in position. Defending that sort of cross is easier than one delivered from the goal line. 

I'm sure what you say is true, but I'm glad nobody told the City team of the 50s and 60s. I can just about remember watching City from the early 60s when John Atyeo kept thundering in headers from out swinging crosses. 

In my days playing I was often playing wide left, even though right footed, but I learned how to cross left footed because the convention back then was that you wanted to cut the ball back from the goalline because it was harder to defend - defenders running back, while strikers running onto the ball.

Back then corners were invariably be taken as out swingers, for the same reason. However, these days it's interesting that most teams take inswinging corners with a lot of pace on them and which appear to be harder to defend, but that might be because defenders these days are generally not as good and strong in the air as they were in the good old days.

The other trend these days is that players taking corners or crossing can;t get the ball beyond the first defender - what's all that about?

12 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The main problem is that we lack a back bone at the pitch. A master that dictate the game and help out and support the young gifted players.

We don't have that player.

Korey Smith is a younger version of that. What we're missing is a goal scoring midfielder e.g. Frank Lampard in his prime (before you get confused I'm not saying sign Frank Lampard) targets should be John Bostock and Lewis Baker.

14 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Another O'Dowda is a luxury we can't afford

Whilst it's only my opinion I actually flat out disagree. It would seem we have more than enough money to make bids and transfers, our issue appears to be within our wage budget and if that is actually the case it's younger, lower paid players with bundles of potential that we can afford. It's all good and well saying "Why don't we sign an established Championship winger?" but the reason is simple, cost is higher and most importantly they demand higher wages. I honestly am frustrated by the fact we don't seem able to "buy big" but I have a strong feeling that it's due to wages and that's not going to change any time soon with FFP in play, unless of course we gain promotion to the Prem and get a healthy injection of cash on the FFP books.

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In my days playing I was often playing wide left, even though right footed, but I learned how to cross left footed because the convention back then was that you wanted to cut the ball back from the goalline because it was harder to defend - defenders running back, while strikers running onto the ball.

Back then corners were invariably be taken as out swingers, for the same reason. However, these days it's interesting that most teams take inswinging corners with a lot of pace on them and which appear to be harder to defend, but that might be because defenders these days are generally not as good and strong in the air as they were in the good old days.

The other trend these days is that players taking corners or crossing can;t get the ball beyond the first defender - what's all that about?

Probably the single most frustrating thing in football; the inability to miss the first defender from a corner. 

Players seem to try and put too much pace and swerve on the ball rather than just clip it between the penalty spot and the edge of the six yard box.

Just trying to be too clever I suppose :grr:

Archived