IGNORED

This is it today.

barneyrubble

46 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I don't think we will ever reach the PL in the Landsdown era. You need to be ruthless as a board and we seem to accept second best. We don't push the boat out and we also have a manager who is more protected than Arsene Wenger

When SL takes a step back the baton will pass seamlessly to JL.

The Lansdown era will last at least the next 30 years.

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

SL's long term strategy? Hes been at the helm of this club for 15 years. How long is his strategy?

All joking aside. Neither one of us has a crystal ball...but history says to me you are extremely naive if you think that the club have finally nailed it and are doing it the right way.

We have a small time mentality.

We certainly were a small time club that was run by well meaning amateurs for most of the clubs history.

SL became heavily involved but it's taken him many years to bring the club into the modern era. 

The creation of Bristol Sport. The redevelopment of AG, the recruitment of professionals to run the playing side and another to oversee the day to day running of the club are perfect examples of his commitment to City and to his home town.

SL wants the club to develop as many home grown players as possible as part of his long term philosophy. That's why we see City signing young players and then sending them out on loan to beef up and gain experience of competitive men's league football - just as Liverpool are doing with Ryan Kent and what Chelsea did with Tammy.

When these youngsters  return to AG some will have enough quality to be on the fringe of the first team. Others won't and will move on hopefully with a small profit.

SL seems dead against spending huge amounts on signing established Championship players and that strategy seems to piss lots of fans who don't fully grasp what lies behind it.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

It was. Performances and results have proved it and will continue to prove it

Please dont sit there and try to belittle me and others by trying to make out you have a 'superior knowledge' of football to everyone else And stop acting like you can 'see a bigger picture' that no one else can see. 

I put it to you...next season....we will not come close to the play offs. Wait and see

Absolutely hate this “I know the future already” mentality. You don’t.

Did you predict us to win the majority of our remaining games this time last year to stay up when all looked lost? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Did you predict us to be fighting to the play offs at all this year? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Did you expect Bobby Reid to be the top scorer in the Championship? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Things can change very quickly in football and the last two seasons have proven it. Rather than making your mind up why not actually acknowledge none of us actually know how things will pan out, and wait and see?

31 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

SL's long term strategy? Hes been at the helm of this club for 15 years. How long is his strategy?

All joking aside. Neither one of us has a crystal ball...but history says to me you are extremely naive if you think that the club have finally nailed it and are doing it the right way.

We have a small time mentality.

Four consecutive seasons of league position improvement suggests we are now doing more wrong than right. Apologies if this doesn’t fit your preferred narrative.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

If they could find the right one.

But with Piano close to a return and Wright having provided solid cover, I can understand why it may not have been the top priority.

I don't think Wright's been that solid at RB, even defensively. Not his fault, he's not a RB.

Pisano looked nowhere near ready last week and was thrown in due to necessity.

He looked much slighter than I remember and did well to last as long as he did.

It looked like he needed another few weeks of training and u.23 games to build up both his stamina and his strength; as things stand there must be a greater chance of him getting injured again.

There's no doubt we needed a RB in January, not signing one really was a glaring omission.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Absolutely hate this “I know the future already” mentality. You don’t.

Did you predict us to win the majority of our remaining games this time last year to stay up when all looked lost? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Did you predict us to be fighting to the play offs at all this year? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Did you expect Bobby Reid to be the top scorer in the Championship? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Things can change very quickly in football and the last two seasons have proven it. Rather than making your mind up why not actually acknowledge none of us actually know how things will pan out, and wait and see?

Its an opinion. As ive posted else where on this thread....none of us have crystal balls

I am simply giving my opinion

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I and several others understand what SLs long term strategy/philosophy is all about but some others don't understand it and post stuff on here that contradicts said strategy and take umbrage when that fact is pointed out.

And some of us also understand: we just happen to believe the project is flawed

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think Wright's been that solid at RB, even defensively. Not his fault, he's not a RB.

Pisano looked nowhere near ready last week and was thrown in due to necessity.

He looked much slighter than I remember and did well to last as long as he did.

It looked like he needed another few weeks of training and u.23 games to build up both his stamina and his strength; as things stand there must be a greater chance of him getting injured again.

There's no doubt we needed a RB in January, not signing one really was a glaring omission.

I think Wright was really steady til Xmas, and got a bit of a slating from a few when I suggested he had a poor game v Sunderland and wasn’t great v Leeds.  I thought he’d dropped below the usual standard he’d set.  It transpires he’s been carrying a knock.  What I didn’t say was that Wright was shit, just he’d been below poor.  One game does not make or break the player.

I hope Pisano is ready today and Wright gets to pay in his best RCB role...hopefully alongside Baker.  They’ve only partnered each other 3 times thus season.

Regarding the signing of another RB in January...maybe the opinion was that we have Pisano, Wright has done an ok job there, and we don't need another 'experienced' RB to block the progress of others at the Club.

Moore is being played at RB at Cheltenham and doing well, Vyner being played as a CB and doing well at Plymouth.

With next season...Pisano, Wright, Flint, Baker, Bryan, Mags, Vyner, Kelly, Moore and other youngsters pushing, do we need another on the books to slow the progress of others?

Maybe some will say we needed it for a push...but we are now a Club with a blueprint of developing and giving players a pathway and chance.

I'm happy to support that, and interested and entertained at watching how it works and develops.

Not bothered about the Prem tbh...I find more enjoyment from what we are doing now, than buying experience and hoping it works.

Plus...as has been said before. No one knows what the budget is, so to suggest we should have gone out and bought is idealistic rather than a known fact.

That's what's flawed...not the project imo.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

And some of us also understand: we just happen to believe the project is flawed

There is a part of me that believes that too.  As each club comes down from the Prem with £100m, the harder it becomes for us to maintain our level, let alone push on.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Regarding the signing of another RB in January...maybe the opinion was that we have Pisano, Wright has done an ok job there, and we don't need another 'experienced' RB to block the progress of others at the Club.

Moore is being played at RB at Cheltenham and doing well, Vyner being played as a CB and doing well at Plymouth.

With next season...Pisano, Wright, Flint, Baker, Bryan, Mags, Vyner, Kelly, Moore and other youngsters pushing, do we need another on the books to slow the progress of others?

Maybe some will say we needed it for a push...but we are now a Club with a blueprint of developing and giving players a pathway and chance.

I'm happy to support that, and interested and entertained at watching how it works and develops.

Not bothered about the Prem tbh...I find more enjoyment from what we are doing now, than buying experience and hoping it works.

Plus...as has been said before. No one knows what the budget is, so to suggest we should have gone out and bought is idealistic rather than a known fact.

That's what's flawed...not the project imo.

We could have waited the best part of two weeks before sending Vyner out on loan (think we did PAFC a favour due to a player illness), where we had two games.  He might not have featured, but he would’ve been around for the 3 match Baker ban, and now the Flint one too.  Hindsight, yes, but I said at the time why rush it, other than the reason given above.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You think the Board should have thrown mega bucks at getting us promotion this season?  That would have been a big mistake.  Far better to continue to build a squad that one day might be able to STAY in the premier league.

Let's get there first before we worry about staying there .

Even one season as whipping boys would help us , financially and experience wise .

You are putting the horse before the cart.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i dont get this cheap option thing.

although under contract,i think some of our players might have had substantial pay rises to ensure the squad LJ is building stays together and they dont go looking for more average top end championship wages elsewhere  which is afterall what the club has achieved this season. im only guessing and am no way itk to suggest this is true but know i would want the best wage i could get in a short career regardless of any loyalty which i dont think really factors in football these days

Surely though, if all of these players end up getting substantial pay rises doesn't that contradict the clubs own philosophy of getting in cheap young players that won't break the wage structure?

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

well then we have to accept we will never go up. 

Promotion these days cant be done on the cheap and unless your willing to invest a bit of cash, you wont be able to bring in the quality to see a season through

You might get away with it if you don't have a cup run that puts all of your best players in the shop window. The cup run may ultimately cost us promotion and loss of some of our better prospects in the summer. As great as it was it was a one-off and the aftermath is a treatment room full of crocked players, a slump in form, an the whole country knows who our best players are and will be straight on the phone to prize them away when we fail to go up. Watch this space.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

And this is the way it goes,and why in January we should have attempted to recruit the type of player to take advantage of the fantastic shape we were in.we didn't.

You have to,in life,grab opportunity when it presents,'go for it today as tomorrow may not be smiling.

That is all well and good if it works out, but you can't ensure that these big money January signings stay injury free. This season for example we splashed out £5.3 Million on Diedhiou who fell awkwardly (in that cup run) and has missed over 1/3rd of the season. Then there is O'Dowda who was getting better and better and then got injured and has missed even more of the season than Diedhiou. Then there is Duric who has spent more time on the treatment table than Darren Anderton, the Snake who has missed lots of games, and Pisano who will have missed 3/4 of the season, and Gary O'Neil nearly the entire season! 

We could sign them in January and they could get crocked before February. As much as it pains me I don't think that the January transfer window makes much of a difference. You might get lucky or it could end up fruitless. 

Our problems are bigger than the January transfer window.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Always questioned this myself. 

Are these players going to Cheltenham because it's their best option?

Are they **** is what my brain tells me. Seems a way just to help his old man out... Wrong in so many ways IMO. 

I think it is great that we can do this at both Cheltenham with GJ and with Gary Owers at Torquay.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You think the Board should have thrown mega bucks at getting us promotion this season?  That would have been a big mistake.  Far better to continue to build a squad that one day might be able to STAY in the premier league.

The gulf is massive. You would have to be buying Prem ready players in preparation and paying them top end wages. That won't be happening at City.

Even Huddersfield went up and spent over £100 million taking a gamble.

Bournemouth just ignored FFP

I don't know about Brighton, but clubs like Burnley, West Brom and Bolton yo-yo'd for a few years to swell the coffers. I personally think that this is a better option.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Let's get there first before we worry about staying there .

Even one season as whipping boys would help us , financially and experience wise .

You are putting the horse before the cart.

Totally. Getting there and going down is fine. Gives you the cash to go up again. At least we would experience the PL! 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We could have waited the best part of two weeks before sending Vyner out on loan (think we did PAFC a favour due to a player illness), where we had two games.  He might not have featured, but he would’ve been around for the 3 match Baker ban, and now the Flint one too.  Hindsight, yes, but I said at the time why rush it, other than the reason given above.

Yes it is hindsight...however I'm glad they have sent the yougsters out to play mens football and get toughened up.

We saw how weak Moore was when tried, and I think the coaching staff realise that loaning out is what's needed.

It's no rush, it's only our second season up and early in the project.

I'm all for getting these talented youngster's developed and playing first team football for us.

I'd love to see the likes of Vyner, Kelly, Bakinson, Moore etc all coming through and eventually playing for us....then developing together in the first team.

Watching it grow and develop, using home grown talent for a change.

They wouldn't get the chance to do that in the Prem imo.

I'd rather see the whole thing develop gradually, enjoying watching it progress, the mistakes with the good....for me it's all part of the football experience.

I'm really not that bothered about the Prem...as are many fans who support teams outside the top 7.

I've read the threads about season tickets etc...and how people are disappointed. And I get that, it is.

However, whether we like it or not, the reality is, if we went up, there would be a shed load of 'fans' wanting to buy tickets at Premium price....the glory hunters...and the Club wouldn't bat an eyelid at selling to them.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is a part of me that believes that too.  As each club comes down from the Prem with £100m, the harder it becomes for us to maintain our level, let alone push on.

Agree completely, as I have said many times each year will get harder not easier.

The strategy is completely flawed if promotion really is the aim.

Lets say that some of the ‘ ones for the future’ really do well - the strategy as I understand is to sell them if we get the right offer. Where that leaves us is with money in the bank and back where we started with the PL no closer.

Rinse and repeat.

it is a strategy to aid self sufficiency but not sporting progress.

Lets see how many 20k + attendances we get following that model, which also might see us flirting with relegation rather than the play - offs.

I understand that quite a few on here don’t want promotion however in football you have to try to progress otherwise you risk going backwards.

I dont get the phrase -must win game- only mathematics can tell us what a must win game is.

However, a loss today and the fallout that would surely follow from a good number of our fans, confidence would be so low it would all but spell the end of our play off chances for me.

We beat Shef Weds, most of us thought we’d lose to Preston, now is the time to get back on track. I’m going 0-4 to City

A lot of this thread’s argument against signing a right back is missing the point. Any complaint that it wasn’t worth “splashing the cash” or “it will block the youngsters’ progression path” is irrelevant as we didn’t need to buy one, we could have got one in on loan. If we felt it was right to get in on loan a showpony winger who can’t defend, or an out of form striker who just can’t, then why could we not get in a right back? It would not have been difficult to attract one as our ONLY right back currently at the club is 30 plus, was injured and far from a return (it is march now and he is still not at full fitness) and has spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch. The answer is most likely what others have said – LJ was too afraid to make the decision to drop flint or his captain. That has cost us. And regarding transfers, MA has a lot to answer for if his “rigorous” dna check felt it unimportant that our loan striker hadn’t scored all season and posts social media stuff that suggests depression. Not really great selling points for a striker. Clearly nothing was learnt from the Woodrow loan. Yet both have already been given more opportunity than Engvall who is our player. A very poor January.

Archived