IGNORED

General Election 2015 Match Day Thread (Merged)

Moloch

I'm no fan of that woman either,but even the 'Torygraph' think it's a bad policy by the Tories.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11535234/Extending-the-right-to-buy-is-economically-illiterate-and-morally-wrong.html

Most Enlightening. Cheers Bill

Anyway, didn't watch last night's debate, but I did record question time so i'll be on that when I get home at lunch time? I presume all the talk was on the debates for anyone who watched it?

Most Enlightening. Cheers Bill

Anyway, didn't watch last night's debate, but I did record question time so i'll be on that when I get home at lunch time? I presume all the talk was on the debates for anyone who watched it?

I find the debates cringworthy with loaded questions and hand picked audiance members

I find the debates cringworthy with loaded questions and hand picked audiance members

Aye, these debates are like ******* game shows, it's like witnessing the death of serious politics in the UK. Last night was extra ridiculous as only 1 of the 5 participants is actually a sitting MP and of the rest, half of them are not even contesting seats for Westminster!

On the audience though, they're chosen by an independent company and I believe it's the same company that's sorting the audience for each debate. Makes Farridge's dummy-spit (before the thing had even got started as far as I can tell) even more ridiculous

Aye, these debates are like ******* game shows, it's like witnessing the death of serious politics in the UK. Last night was extra ridiculous as only 1 of the 5 participants is actually a sitting MP and of the rest, half of them are not even contesting seats for Westminster!

On the audience though, they're chosen by an independent company and I believe it's the same company that's sorting the audience for each debate. Makes Farridge's dummy-spit (before the thing had even got started as far as I can tell) even more ridiculous

Made worse by the thought of Ed and Sturgeon being all smiles entering into No10 before deciding on how much the first instalment of the ransom is going to be after chewing lumps out of each other and Ed saying "no, no, no".

Made worse by the thought of Ed and Sturgeon being all smiles entering into No10 before deciding on how much the first instalment of the ransom is going to be after chewing lumps out of each other and Ed saying "no, no, no".

The thing is, I don't think The SNP have a particular interest in a full coalition as it'll distract from fiefdom-creation up north and given the rapid decline in the viability of North Sea oil and gas, they won't want to put independence on the table. Similarly, Labour will never agree to a coalition with them as wavering voters in Scotland will be further tempted to defect. I think what we'll have is a minority Labour govt, perhaps in league with the remains of the lib dems and any Greens, propped up by the knowledge that the SNP will always vote against Tory interest. On one hand it's better than having them in coalition because no concessions will be given, but on the other hand the jocks will have the ability to hold a minority government to ransom. HOWEVER, Labour are likely to be able forge temporary alliances with the Tories to get past SNP dissension on individual issues. We may end up with the most inclusive government in decades

It's an absolute ******* mess, but it makes for the most interesting election in my lifetime

The thing is, I don't think The SNP have a particular interest in a full coalition as it'll distract from fiefdom-creation up north and given the rapid decline in the viability of North Sea oil and gas, they won't want to put independence on the table. Similarly, Labour will never agree to a coalition with them as wavering voters in Scotland will be further tempted to defect. I think what we'll have is a minority Labour govt, perhaps in league with the remains of the lib dems and any Greens, propped up by the knowledge that the SNP will always vote against Tory interest. On one hand it's better than having them in coalition because no concessions will be given, but on the other hand the jocks will have the ability to hold a minority government to ransom. HOWEVER, Labour are likely to be able forge temporary alliances with the Tories to get past SNP dissension on individual issues. We may end up with the most inclusive government in decades

It's an absolute ******* mess, but it makes for the most interesting election in my lifetime

Don't agree about the ransom point, i'm sure they will and i'm sure that labour will give in. The interesting point you make is about the tories and forming a friendly alliance with labour to stop the SNP, I find that quite unbelievable considering if the boot was on the other foot it would NEVER happen and i'm not sure that the tories will either.

Re Scotland, it will be interesting to see how many Tories will tactically vote Labour to try and stop the nationalists.

We could see some very strange goings on in this election.

At the moment the polls indicate Labour being the biggest party with 300 seats,as you say E it will be interesting to see what deals are done.

A lot will depend on how good/badly the Liberal vote goes.

Comes to something when Nigel was right all along though Screech and probably another reason Dave didn't want fall into the BBC trap.

I'm not sure if you saw this before EMB but..

The BBC have form for planting these types, it was later discovered she had tweeted to her followers that she was to appear on QT that evening to "rip into a disgusting UKIP woman".

Oh, but isn't that the same QT that pick random people from the audience?. So forgive me for believing that the BBC carefully picked a balanced audience.

I'm not sure if you saw this before EMB but..

The BBC have form for planting these types, it was later discovered she had tweeted to her followers that she was to appear on QT that evening to "rip into a disgusting UKIP woman".

Oh, but isn't that the same QT that pick random people from the audience?. So forgive me for believing that the BBC carefully picked a balanced audience.

Still don't let's objectify her by talking about her looks because that's sexist isn't it?, still I bet her hand writing is really pretty?.

what about the Labour MP who condemned white man van and then ripped into Tories about selling Housing Assn houses and yet had done same a couple of years ago and then started renting it out   BLAIRISM IS ALIVE AND WELL dont do as I do ....do as I say.................the working class can kiss my a** at least with the others you know what you are getting

NOTHING LIKE POLITICS AND RELIGION TO INCITE DEBATE...................I have a sticker in my car now it simply says   RELIGION KILLS GO ON A CRUISE TO ITALY TO FIND OUT

Couldn't possibly be in the same paper that gave ukip one million pounds in cash this week...........

could it, ha ha

What a joke Farage and the Express are :)

Nice side step of the issue Bill, very new labour.

Almost as good as Harriet Harridan earlier this week trying to give Osbourne a lecture about being born into privilege, you just couldn't make it up.

of course you could say what a load of Jocks England might end up being.

Almost as good as Harriet Harridan earlier this week trying to give Osbourne a lecture about being born into privilege, you just couldn't make it up.

Which 'issue' is this E ?

Is it the issue of the BBC bias?

The BBC's chief political editor Nick Robinson is a former leader of the Young Conservatives.

The ex chairman of the BBC trust is Chris Patten the ex Tory MP.

Most people on the left are convinced that the BBC is right wing biased.

Most people on the right think the opposite.

Whereas Farage is just full of shite!

I thought the jocks didnt want to leave us............as the jocks will certainly return a lot of SNP MP's cant we do a deal with them, they can have their bleak orrible country, all Labour candidates must come from a working class background and must never have  had a sniff of Oxford or Cambridge, all previous labour MP's must have all their wealth taken away and live on a basic state pension ( try that Mr Blur) and finally the BBC given over to OTIB.

I don't see anything in the ICM blurb that also states that people were asked will you be voting tory, labour, lib dem or other, whilst busing in SNP and Plaid supporters and making sure that there were undecided's amongst the audience, how is that representative?.

How is having a range of people in the audience who declare their intention to vote for various parties, as well as those undecided, not representative? And even if the split does favour the left leaning parties, the parties will have seen that split before so why did Nigel wait till 15 minutes into the third debate he's appeared at with an ICM selected audience to raise it? And further more, why is it the BBCs fault who ICM select?

How is having a range of people in the audience who declare their intention to vote for various parties, as well as those undecided, not representative? And even if the split does favour the left leaning parties, the parties will have seen that split before so why did Nigel wait till 15 minutes into the third debate he's appeared at with an ICM selected audience to raise it? And further more, why is it the BBCs fault who ICM select?

I don't support any of them especially UKIP but I take you've seen the latest polls?, UKIP 14% and lib dums 8%, the question should have been will you vote tory, labour, UKIP or others.

I don't support any of them especially UKIP but I take you've seen the latest polls?, UKIP 14% and lib dums 8%, the question should have been will you vote tory, labour, UKIP or others.

How would they have been able to fulfil the ratios specified in the Express article if they just asked whether you supported 'other' parties? I agree that given the polls over the last couple of years, UKIP could certainly claim to be under represented, but they probably shouldn't have agreed to it then. The ratio is actually about bang on for UKIPs current polling as it should have led to about 15% of the crowd being their supporters

Anyway, I think a genuinely representative crowd would be hostile to UKIP; they thrive on a 'with us or against us' attitude and generally people are either UKIP supporters or they hate them. Even if we assume that there is some support for them within conservative ranks, your still probably looking at most at their being 20% of the audience with UKIP sympathies. You have to remember that we're a largely left-leaning country, its just that the vote is spread over a number of parties. At the last election, if you add the Lib Dem, Labour, SNP and green vote together, it comes to about 55% where as the Tory, UKIP and BNP vote was about 40%. Similarly in the current polls, there are still more left wing votes than right wing votes

I think Nige probably needs to wind his neck in and start worrying about why he's dropped 10 points in the polls for the constituency he's contesting

Have you seen this btw? http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ basically predicting a resounding UKIP failure. I have no idea on the accuracy, but the resumes the academics that run it are impressive. I reckon the problem they'll face is that their vote will be too disparate; lots of second places, not many seats. In Ed Milibands constituency for example, they're polling on about 20% but Ed is on 50-odd%. That's 8-10000 votes counting for nothing. As much as I dislike UKIP, it's a perfect illustration of why we should have proportional representation; their popularity with others is unlikely to be reflected in parliament

How would they have been able to fulfil the ratios specified in the Express article if they just asked whether you supported 'other' parties? I agree that given the polls over the last couple of years, UKIP could certainly claim to be under represented, but they probably shouldn't have agreed to it then. The ratio is actually about bang on for UKIPs current polling as it should have led to about 15% of the crowd being their supporters

Anyway, I think a genuinely representative crowd would be hostile to UKIP; they thrive on a 'with us or against us' attitude and generally people are either UKIP supporters or they hate them. Even if we assume that there is some support for them within conservative ranks, your still probably looking at most at their being 20% of the audience with UKIP sympathies. You have to remember that we're a largely left-leaning country, its just that the vote is spread over a number of parties. At the last election, if you add the Lib Dem, Labour, SNP and green vote together, it comes to about 55% where as the Tory, UKIP and BNP vote was about 40%. Similarly in the current polls, there are still more left wing votes than right wing votes

I think Nige probably needs to wind his neck in and start worrying about why he's dropped 10 points in the polls for the constituency he's contesting

Have you seen this btw? http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ basically predicting a resounding UKIP failure. I have no idea on the accuracy, but the resumes the academics that run it are impressive. I reckon the problem they'll face is that their vote will be too disparate; lots of second places, not many seats. In Ed Milibands constituency for example, they're polling on about 20% but Ed is on 50-odd%. That's 8-10000 votes counting for nothing. As much as I dislike UKIP, it's a perfect illustration of why we should have proportional representation; their popularity with others is unlikely to be reflected in parliament

Mate UKIP don't interest me at all, but sometimes when your right your right.

IMO there are 3 certainties in politics, right wing groups will always fail or splinter because when the leadership try to dilute their real feelings to make them appear closer to public opinion, the majority of their voters + some of the more racist elements will say they don't go far enough and a new right wing group will rise from the ashes and left wing parties usually including labour like spending everybody else's money and tories will look after themselves and their mates.

Mate UKIP don't interest me at all, but sometimes when your right your right.

IMO there are 3 certainties in politics, right wing groups will always fail or splinter because when the leadership try to dilute their real feelings to make them appear closer to public opinion, the majority of their voters + some of the more racist elements will say they don't go far enough and a new right wing group will rise from the ashes and left wing parties usually including labour like spending everybody else's money and tories will look after themselves and their mates.

I wasn't posting the UKIP stuff because I thought you were a supporter, just for interest and perhaps to demonstrate that despite all the noise and the press constantly felating Farage, their influence in a months time is likely to be **** all

I guess a right wing group has never really enjoyed the level of support UKIP have in this country, but I reckon you're right and they'll start to splinter. Let's face it; UKIP is Farage basically, it's held together by his personality and if he doesn't win his seat they're finished. If he does win and they snatch another 3, 4, 5 seats, who knows what'll happen?

I wasn't posting the UKIP stuff because I thought you were a supporter, just for interest and perhaps to demonstrate that despite all the noise and the press constantly felating Farage, their influence in a months time is likely to be **** all

I guess a right wing group has never really enjoyed the level of support UKIP have in this country, but I reckon you're right and they'll start to splinter. Let's face it; UKIP is Farage basically, it's held together by his personality and if he doesn't win his seat they're finished. If he does win and they snatch another 3, 4, 5 seats, who knows what'll happen?

Farage certainly won't felate Sturgeon, even though she has the biggest set of all of the leaders.

Archived