IGNORED

General Election 2015 Match Day Thread (Merged)

Moloch

of course but the BBC/Evan Davis could/should have had a set agenda of questioning about policy and not nutty outbursts from council candidates/supporters.

I briefly saw a quote from a labour party activist saying that the Rotherham scandal was a far right myth, that's inappropriate I would suggest.

Agreed. I didn't see this Evan Davies interview, so I can't really judge if he was being fair. I think he's trying to lose his reputation of being a soft interviewer. He certainly gave Ed Miliband a tough time, bringing up the "backstabbing" allegation as well as policy.

In UKIP's case, there have been so many embarrassments that I think the quality of some of their candidates and the views expressed by some of them has become a bit of an issue in itself. He gave Farage a chance to distance himself from more extremist elements by mentioning that. You can't sweep it all under the carpet.

A quick look online shows that the most recent 3 polls (from Yougov, Panelbase and ICM) all show NO behind YES.

I would hardly say they are "overwhelmingly" voting for a pro-independence party, latest polls show it is just over half voting for the SNP and half voting for the combined unionist parties (Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems). I do a lot of work in Scotland and several people I know are planning to vote for SNP even though they don't want independence. The reason being they recognise this is a UK based vote and they would like to be in the situation where there is a Scotland based party calling the shots as they think it will lead to benefits for Scotland.

Yes, I realise that.

My point was if you continue to have a pro-Independence Scottish government for, say, another 10 years, it's tough to keep arguing against another referendum.

That's a big If, I'll grant you.

Re your earlier point on oil, you'll have noticed that crude prices are rising again.

Anyone any thoughts on the MiliBrand interview that is due to be released.

Can't stand the pair of them, but I'll still give it a watch.

Was a good move for EM because it will surely get him some votes from Russell Brands followers.  He has as good as endorsed him.

It was a ballsy move as well because what ever you think of Brand he is incredibly sharp.  Cameron wouldn't have the bottle to talk to him because he knows he would get done.

Agreed. I didn't see this Evan Davies interview, so I can't really judge if he was being fair. I think he's trying to lose his reputation of being a soft interviewer. He certainly gave Ed Miliband a tough time, bringing up the "backstabbing" allegation as well as policy.

In UKIP's case, there have been so many embarrassments that I think the quality of some of their candidates and the views expressed by some of them has become a bit of an issue in itself. He gave Farage a chance to distance himself from more extremist elements by mentioning that. You can't sweep it all under the carpet.

indeed but my point is in the spirit of fairness there are plenty of strange quotes from every single party that could and maybe should have been questioned and weren't.

Anyway as I said earlier I really believe if Ed Miliband had a pair of Ed Balls and said the first thing on his agenda was legislation on only English MP's being able to vote on English only issues (like Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) I think it might seal the deal for him because I believe the people are ready for change, but I also think the thought of being held to ransom by the rest of the Union especially the sore losers north of the border will end up sticking in the craw of most English voters, that is my opinion.

indeed but my point is in the spirit of fairness there are plenty of strange quotes from every single party that could and maybe should have been questioned and weren't.

Anyway as I said earlier I really believe if Ed Miliband had a pair of Ed Balls and said the first thing on his agenda was legislation on only English MP's being able to vote on English only issues (like Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) I think it might seal the deal for him because I believe the people are ready for change, but I also think the thought of being held to ransom by the rest of the Union especially the sore losers north of the border will end up sticking in the craw of most English voters, that is my opinion.

It might with some. It's funny that the "being held to ransom by a regional party" was never much of an issue when it was Tory governments being propped up by Ulster Unionists.

It might with some. It's funny that the "being held to ransom by a regional party" was never much of an issue when it was Tory governments being propped up by Ulster Unionists.

This is different and you know it, one wants to stay in the union and the other wants all they can get before leaving the union, the SNP have already set out it's 140billion shopping list and there will be more to come on a vote by vote basis, it's why the SNP are happy that labour has ruled out a coalition, they can screw more out of England before leaving the union.

Anyway I don't think the English per se see this along party political lines, they see it as fair and I think it rules out any chance of an outright labour victory.

Was a good move for EM because it will surely get him some votes from Russell Brands followers.  He has as good as endorsed him.

It was a ballsy move as well because what ever you think of Brand he is incredibly sharp.  Cameron wouldn't have the bottle to talk to him because he knows he would get done.

For RB to bang on about the corrupt system and telling people not to vote (paxman interview 2013) for him then to tell people to vote for EM, seems very strange that he'd change his course. I don't see EM with the appeal that Blair had back in the mid 90's. Had it been the other Miliband brother, I think I'd see his point.

Your second bit about him being sharp, he's hit and miss in my opinion from when I've seen him on question time, interviews etc.. Remember when the journalist outside 10 downing street said he was part of the problem regarding rental prices, he didn't know what to say and dragged some random woman in to help him out. I also don't think he would invite Cameron into his home. There's only one way to find out...... FIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT

Get off yer high horse for a minute, your daily mail quips are the stuff of failed arguments.

and it also says 140billion/160billion/180billion??? and is also prefaced with a lot of if's.

is that the wealthy who pay their UK tax or the wealthy who will use more tax avoidance schemes before any tax rises are implemented?.

The whole "the Scots are going to control your destiny" thing is a desperate throw of the dice by a party bankrupt of ideas and short of genuine achievements. It's an appeal to the angry Little Englander, just as Labour has long benefitted from the idea that "London is screwing you" in northern and Scottish seats. That's where we let our industrial heartland die while the City chaps in the Home Counties got rich.

No it isn't.

Lets just say for a moment the reality was that we had a fair proportional system and the balance of power lay in UKIP's hands after a hung parliament.  UKIP would push forward the policies that matter most to them, presumably EU referendum and subsequently immigration.  Rightly or wrongly that would concern Labour (by the way has anyone noticed the irony of the name for the party that hates people working?)

It is clear that the SNP will do the same, and what are they most keen on?  Independence for Scotland (failing that even more English money to Scotland), getting rid of our nuclear deterrant (probably the most stupid thing any civilisation will ever do) and ending austerity (aka to fundamentally ignore the idea that we can live within our means).

The country is right to be worried about such Left wing lunacy

No it isn't.

K

Lets just say for a moment the reality was that we had a fair proportional system and the balance of power lay in UKIP's hands after a hung parliament. UKIP would push forward the policies that matter most to them, presumably EU referendum and subsequently immigration. Rightly orb wrongly that would concern Labour (by the way has anyone noticed the irony of the name for the party that hates people working?)

It is clear that the SNP will do the same, and what are they most keen on? Independence for Scotland (failing that even more English money to Scotland), getting rid of our nuclear deterrant (probably the most stupid thing any civilisation wil do) and ending austerity (aka to fundamentally ignore the idea that we can live within our means).

The country is right to be worried about such Left wing lunacy

In other words you're brainwashed by their bullshit.

Labour don't want prosperity. they don't want social mobility. as soon as those targets are achieved Labour lose all their votes to the conservatives. Labour want a booming sub-working class which will be reliant on the benefits that Labour provide to the lazy which the other parties will not.

A detestable party, Scotland's ditched them and hopefully the rest will follow suit.

Youve interpreted everything Ive said at an extreme and then argued against that fabricated extreme, presumably you work for the BBC?  just some quick corrections:

1.  I never said everyone who is unemployed vote Labour.

2.  I never said everyone who is on benefits is lazy

3.  I never said Labour want nearly everyone to be unemployed.

When you're done reading what you want and begin reading what is written, that would be wonderful.   

Youve interpreted everything Ive said at an extreme and then argued against that fabricated extreme, presumably you work for the BBC?  just some quick corrections:

1.  I never said everyone who is unemployed vote Labour.

2.  I never said everyone who is on benefits is lazy

3.  I never said Labour want nearly everyone to be unemployed.

When you're done reading what you want and begin reading what is written, that would be wonderful.   

In other words you're brainwashed by their bullshit.

Labour don't want prosperity. they don't want social mobility. as soon as those targets are achieved Labour lose all their votes to the conservatives. Labour want a booming sub-working class which will be reliant on the benefits that Labour provide to the lazy which the other parties will not.

A detestable party, Scotland's ditched them and hopefully the rest will follow suit.

You said Labour "hate people working" and "don't want prosperity" and want a "booming sub-working class" (what does sub-working mean? I took it to mean unemployed. Do you mean people stuck in zero hour contracts MacJobs? In which case surely DC and GO are your boys - all that has boomed since 2010).

Much of what I've quoted above from your previous posts you must realise is utter bollocks. Labour want a successful economy, even if in many people's regard, they haven't got the right plan to find it. They don't want failure. A curious fact is that union membership and votes for left of centre parties tends to rise in periods of prosperity. It took a downturn to bring in David Cameron. It a downturn in Swden to end decades of Social Democrat rule and put the conservative equivalent in. So no sane analysis supports your assertions.

Oh and no: Not for the BBC. I founded and run my own company which employs five people.

Agreed its hard to argue against another referendum, but getting a referendum and one being won are different things.

The oil price is starting to creep back up, but that's due to an increase in demand due to the lower oil price and a decrease in supply as marginal projects are curtailed.  The north sea is one such marginal area and already many jobs in Aberdeen etc have been cut - many of these may be natural efficiency savings but there is a high risk that there will also be a drop in oil production either now or in future years. The job losses also make the case for independence harder as there are less people in very well paid jobs paying taxes etc.

The price of Brent was about $110 around the time of the last referendum and the SNP/Yes projections were based on it staying at those levels or increasing slightly with inflation. Instead, the prices fell to under $50 and whilst they have moved back up to $65 a barrel they are not predicted to go much higher over the next couple of years.  I know predictions can be wrong, but it at least gives some indication on what the markets are expecting.  

With renewable energy constantly decreasing in price, it is arguably the case that fossil fuels (including oil) will struggle to reach high prices in the future.  

Archived