IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

I think Mayer and Baumgardner hate each other more tbh!

I can't see it. Queensbury will lowball Joshua then claim AJ shit it, then Tyson will fight the ghost of Charr or similar imo.

Where does Tyson think they'll fight in the UK at that time of year? Nowhere indoors is big enough and the Millenium Stadium doesn't have any gaps in November as far as I can see?

image.png.c1d9a5a26fcd02b8d017b9af53f86f39.png

edit- just saw Fury confirming a 60/40 split. Now I am legitimately interested...

Yeah 60/40 is very reasonable and would be an absolute fortune for both fighters. There would presumably be a rematch clause and some niggly small print but on the face of it you can't see AJ turning it down.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Fury says it's only the 26th Nov or 3rd Dec take or leave.

Oh ffs, Queensbury already have the stadium booked on the 17th, so whats the problem?!

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

To be fair, 2 weeks difference ain't going to be much difference training wise.

It is, Joshua fought a 12 round fight two weeks ago, he needs some rest and recuperation before going back in camp. Also he has some eye damage so can't spar for a few weeks.

Edit- also, outdoors at the end of November?! Madness.

Edited by Stortz

15 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

@Stortz going away from Fury v AJ for a moment, what’s your take on Marshall v Shields? 

It's a great fight imo, a good clash of styles and the genuine beef makes it that much more intruiging.

Savannah hasn't been in with anyone with Clarrisa's pedigree in the pros (but of course has the win over her in the amatuers), but she is so strong and punches like a mule. I've not seen a female boxer before who can punch with such brutal efficiency. I can see Shields having a fair bit of early success- she's an excellent boxer- before Marshall walks her down and takes her out late.

Opinion seems fairly split though and a fair few pundits have Shields putting on a clinic, staying out of range tand taking the decision- but Marshall has far too much power for her I reckon.

Mayer v Baumgardner is going to be a cracker too- another boxer v puncher match up with real bad blood between the fighters.

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

Back to Fury v Joshua, it looks very much like AJ will reject the challenge a/ because of the dates, and b/ a 50/50 rematch clause (Hearn wants 60/40). 

There's still hope but Fury imposing a deadline of today probably doesn't help either. ? 

This is so shit from Tyson. They were potentially going to fight Chisora on the 17th, the venue is booked ffs- so why won't he fight Joshua there?

Can't help but think this is all a big play to get the Saudis to stump up the entire 'half a billy' he wants for Usyk.

And 60/40 in a rematch the other way is absolutely standard, no way should that scupper a fight.

Looks like they're won't be much boxing in the UK this weekend anyway, the cancellation of all sporting events is surely imminent.

Just now, Stortz said:

This is so shit from Tyson. They were potentially going to fight Chisora on the 17th, the venue is booked ffs- so why won't he fight Joshua there?

Can't help but think this is all a big play to get the Saudis to stump up the entire 'half a billy' he wants for Usyk.

And 60/40 in a rematch the other way is absolutely standard, no way should that scupper a fight.

Looks like they're won't be much boxing in the UK this weekend anyway, the cancellation of all sporting events is surely imminent.

Yeah the date of the 17th is the crucial detail really in judging who is wasting whose time.

Hearn said prior that he knew that to be the case because Matchroom had enquired about the date themselves, but I won't take that as gospel. 

Today, Fury said on his socials that there never was a venue booked for that date. 

Somebody is lying to me!!

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah the date of the 17th is the crucial detail really in judging who is wasting whose time.

Hearn said prior that he knew that to be the case because Matchroom had enquired about the date themselves, but I won't take that as gospel. 

Today, Fury said on his socials that there never was a venue booked for that date. 

Somebody is lying to me!!

Ah ok, I thought it was acknowledged that that booking existed. As usual then, it's a little more opaque than first appears!

edit:

So Tyson wants Joshua to risk a quick turnaround because Tyson doesn't want to risk a quick turnaround?

Hmmm...

Edited by Stortz

8 hours ago, Stortz said:

It's a great fight imo, a good clash of styles and the genuine beef makes it that much more intruiging.

Savannah hasn't been in with anyone with Clarrisa's pedigree in the pros (but of course has the win over her in the amatuers), but she is so strong and punches like a mule. I've not seen a female boxer before who can punch with such brutal efficiency. I can see Shields having a fair bit of early success- she's an excellent boxer- before Marshall walks her down and takes her out late.

Opinion seems fairly split though and a fair few pundits have Shields putting on a clinic, staying out of range tand taking the decision- but Marshall has far too much power for her I reckon.

Mayer v Baumgardner is going to be a cracker too- another boxer v puncher match up with real bad blood between the fighters.

About how I see it mate. I worry Shields will take the decision. As you say she’s a good boxer. I get they have to promote the fight but she’s vile. I want Marshall to take her out in style.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

About how I see it mate. I worry Shields will take the decision. As you say she’s a good boxer. I get they have to promote the fight but she’s vile. I want Marshall to take her out in style.

She does seem pretty unlikeable- and it wasn't helped by those sky ads with her going 'I AM THE GREATEST WOMAN OF ALL TIME' over and over for weeks!

She really doesn't think Marshall is anything like her league, but I think she'll get a shock the first time Savannah catches her on Saturday if the fight goes ahead.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stortz said:

Ah ok, I thought it was acknowledged that that booking existed. As usual then, it's a little more opaque than first appears!

edit:

So Tyson wants Joshua to risk a quick turnaround because Tyson doesn't want to risk a quick turnaround?

Hmmm...

I'm so stupid for getting my hopes up!