IGNORED

The Barnsley v Bristol City Match Day Thread 39

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Do you truly believe all is well after two seasons where we have hit relegation form for a long period of the season?  Will our luck hold for a third season?  History sadly suggests it won't.  

My point is that LJ and his staff have to up their game before the first game in the autumn.  Not necessarily promotion, although that was the target LJ set himself on arrival, but a balanced season ending mid table would do me.

Isn't a balanced season what we have had? As I have said in another post, is it not the sequencing of the results that distorts the impression?

As for next season, I hope for no injuries to key players and no cup run to drain both energy and motivation for starters.

As well as the end of swings in form between extremes, as you imply.

• Like 1

I don’t understand the people bringing up their home form before today?

those games don’t matter, they obviously didn’t play well in those games doesn’t mean they won’t play well there for the rest of the season. 

We got a point away. That’s all we should aim to do from now on in*. Draw away and win at home. That should see us in the play offs. 

*Obvioulsy aim to win but a draw away isn’t a bad result regardless of who you’re playing. Especially at this stage of the season, look at Preston they lost to Wednesday and Wednesday are atrocious 

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don't think Ivorguy ever will. The club is suffering from rising attendances, improved league position and all round general progress, so evidently the owners should be investigated/thrown out and the coaching staff severely chastised. The bigger picture is an inconvenient thing on days when we drop points.

What was the number of season ticket renewals released by the club after deadline day again?

Edited by RumRed
2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have said that 12 months ago we were relegation candidates and now we are promotion contenders, nothing more. Which part of that is “twisted”, exactly?

You were bugging up LJ for turning us from relegation candidates to promotion candidates

Simply pointing out - the same coach who had us as relegation candidates 12 months ago by your own words

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

and back again to relegation form, sadly.

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

zero wins in 11 away games.  You can make stats look how you want 

OK, here's some stats.  In the last five games home and away we have 8 points.

Brentford, in 11th, have amassed less points.

The bottom 8 teams have amassed less points.  It simply isn't true that we are in relegation form.

But, off you go, and find your scapegoat.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Means naff all sorry. We beat Man Utd doesn’t mean we’d finish 2nd in the prem.

We lost to Bolton doesn’t mean we are relegation bound. 

Good sides got to Burton and Barnsley etc at this stage of the season  and take the points 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, Super said:

Why do people think we just have to turn up to beat teams? Barnsley are desperate for points never going to be an easy game. 

We didn't turn up today, we got very lucky indeed.

I think what people are missing is that LJ as a manager has great runs of results followed by poor runs of results and they tend to occur for months at a time.

Somebody wisely said in an earlier post that if the poor results were more evenly spread people would not be so concerned and that is possibly true but they are not and it is a worrying trait from the whole of his managerial career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Please , please , please , for pity's sake , of course we would but we were second at one stage and have been in the top six for most of the season but are you saying that we should all be happy as we slowly sink down the League ?

Unless something changes dramatically , which it must , we will struggle next season.

I watched a horse race today

A horse rated at 90 was out in front after a mile , he tired toward the end and 5 horses all passed him and they were all higher rated horses .  At the start of the race the 90 rated horse was 7th in the betting so overall his trainer said he did well and he knew he wasn’t quite good enough to be able to keep the pace 

if we finish 7th or 8th that will be a good season and it’s looking like the clubs above us are bigger clubs that pay bigger wages etc and we will also finish above bigger clubs so we have over achieved this season.  I don’t care if we were 2nd at some point it doesn’t mean a thing 

Just waiting to get out of the car park at Oakwell.

Once again, City failed to handle a big journeyman striker, with Kiefer Moore tormenting the back line for both goals and in general play

We're not showing any form and relying on others to stay in the hunt.

Poor again in the final third and got outmuscled once again, demonstrated by Djuric winning few headers.

City must beat Brentford on Monday, but need a huge improvement and braver players to carry that off.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Derby , Millwall and the mighty Burton don’t seem to have had that problem in recent weeks at Oakwell 

haha what simple logic...you do realise every pundit will tell you this is the most unpredictable league probably in Europe. Anyone on their day can beat anyone else and over the course of a season millwall, burton and derby will have had shocking results where we have excelked

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You were bugging up LJ for turning us from relegation candidates to promotion candidates

Simply pointing out - the same coach who had us as relegation candidates 12 months ago by your own words

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in our history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Derby , Millwall and the mighty Burton don’t seem to have had that problem in recent weeks at Oakwell 

Smell the coffee everyone. Our results have been unacceptable since Reading at home. Drawing with Burton and Barnsley? Please. It's not good enough. Look at Cardiff and look at us since then. But let's all be happy and dare not criticise the management. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

My point is we are one point off playoffs still fighting hard with a winnable game on Monday...most exciting season in years with some  quality on the pitch...it’s not perfect but you as well as many others on here would have taken 7th on goal difference at this point of the season.

FFS I bet Millwall fans are buzzing thinking they are still in this race we are a point further ahead of them and it is doom and gloom on here

Winnable game on Monday? Brentford are 11 points and 10 places above Barnsley and Barnsley had 31 shots at our goal , 8 on target to our 2 .
As for Millwall , in December they were 15 points behind us, if we had gained almost a point a game on the team in 3rd place (as they have to us ) I would be buzzing too.
From Dec 4th , we had 37 points from 20 games , currently we have 62 from 39. That works out to 25 points from 19 games, slightly better than a point a game.  To be honest , yes we will have our best finish for years and a year on improvement, but can't help but think that not only will this season have been a waste, but I struggle to be optimistic for next year.

Just now, tinman85 said:

Smell the coffee everyone. Our results have been unacceptable since Reading at home. Drawing with Burton and Barnsley? Please. It's not good enough. Look at Cardiff and look at us since then. But let's all be happy and dare not criticise the management. 

Criticism is fine. Your relentless negativity and inability to offer any sort of perspective or recognition of our overall progress is the problem.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Last five: W2 D2 L1.

How is that relegation form?

You may want to respond to somebody who said it was. My point is that people's view is influenced by the distribution of results, or perhaps performances, over longer periods, which looks uneven.

Leaving aside those who are perpetually angry, or simply dislike LJ and want him to fail, much of the anger on here comes from disappointment when the highs become lows. When people calm down a more balanced view tends to emerge.

30 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Got to agree with you. A draw or a win today cannot hide how inconsistent and at the poor end of the scale this team are at present. We will get better but I don't know what it'll take to do that - although I do believe LJ and co are the right people to do it.

We aren't good enough to go up based in this form though and don't deserve to make the playoffs.

and yet virtually the same team beat four premiership sides and was second in the league in the run up to Christmas, potentially we are more than good enough for the play offs, we have been vv good and vv bad no reason we can't be good again let's hope so.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Winnable game on Monday? Brentford are 11 points and 10 places above Barnsley and Barnsley had 31 shots at our goal , 8 on target to our 2 .
As for Millwall , in December they were 15 points behind us, if we had gained almost a point a game on the team in 3rd place (as they have to us ) I would be buzzing too.
From Dec 4th , we had 37 points from 20 games , currently we have 62 from 39. That works out to 25 points from 19 games, slightly better than a point a game.  To be honest , yes we will have our best finish for years and a year on improvement, but can't help but think that not only will this season have been a waste, but I struggle to be optimistic for next year.

Next season a different story and I share your pessimism if we do no go up and lose the spine of our team in Flint, smith, Bryan etc.

plenty of games to go...boro could quite conceivably lose to wolves tonight..still all to play for.

just stating that the towel seems to have been thrown in already. There will be many twists and turns from now

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in or history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

Yes he is, but he is not beyond criticism either and today he got little if anything at all right, January's business was piss poor, Kent and Diony are just hopeless, his constant selection of Paterson is totally bewildering and his habit of chasing games for all 3 points is backfiring on him.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Since LJ has been here, he comfortably staved off relegation in his first season, marginally improved our league position in his second - albeit with a very poor run in the middle - and now has us challenging for play offs. His win % is better than any manager in our history, other than those who have benefitted from periods in the easier third tier. Quite clearly he is in credit overall.

With the biggest backing and recruitment of players any manager has ever had 

Would expect significant improvement from any manager with that backing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Just waiting to get out of the car park at Oakwell.

Once again, City failed to handle a big journeyman striker, with Kiefer Moore tormenting the back line for both goals and in general play

We're not showing any form and relying on others to stay in the hunt.

Poor again in the final third and got outmuscled once again, demonstrated by Djuric winning few headers.

City must beat Brentford on Monday, but need a huge improvement and braver players to carry that off.

Can't believe the experts on here think Wright is ahead of Flint. Hysterical. 

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Sheffield Wednesday are 10 points clear of Barnsley and we beat them 4-0. Ipswich are midtable and we beat them.

So, yes, winnable is a perfectly reasonable description.