IGNORED

LJ to West Brom?

Jacki

9 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I see the close season media bullshit has started. 

Lee Johnson is the most successful manager since his dad - who himself was the most successful manager since Alan Dicks. I can’t go back further than that because I simply don’t know and that’s where my City timeline began. 

I find it remarkable that people want him gone when we are within 4 points of a playoff place in a season where we have never been in the bottom half. 

Don’t get me wrong - I wanted him gone when we went on that disastrous run last season, but this is different. 

We lost to Middlesbrough at their place - big deal - they are one of the highest spending clubs in this division and we are one of the lowest. 

I think he should go to West Brom - just to get away from the self-destructive vitriol he is getting here. 

Some people need to be reminded what happened the last time we sacked/lost an established manager when sitting comfortably in the Championship - or perhaps a few seasons of struggling, punctuated with a league 1 spell is what people find appealing. 

I dont. 

Sorry to disagree but both Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan were far better managers than Johnson Senior. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not like you to throw in poorly researched "FACTS".

08EA482B-33B2-4DEC-A9A1-106FF33EB117.thumb.png.e17fff0e8b5662fd0c2054467102e132.png

ipswich and Birmingham from 16/17 accounts are probably the teams most like Bristol City financially.  For however big Ipswich once were, they are now a bottom half / bottom 8 club at this level....like ourselves.

Ipswich pay decent wages but in terms of transfer fees I reckon LJ has spent more in the past 2 years than MM spent in 5 years at Portman Road.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ipswich pay decent wages but in terms of transfer fees I reckon LJ has spent more in the past 2 years than MM spent in 5 years at Portman Road.

Can’t disagree with that, but you could argue (in balance) that LJ (or previous management signings) has generated income from Kodjia, Adomah, Bolassie, etc to be able to spend more.

FWIW I like MM.

FWIW I think LJ has wasted a lot of money, and you could argue that the market conditions had more of an effect on those 3, and it would be hard to argue that his coaching had a major influence on Kodjia, bearing in mind he was trying to accommodate him on the right wing!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t disagree with that, but you could argue (in balance) that LJ (or previous management signings) has generated income from Kodjia, Adomah, Bolassie, etc to be able to spend more.

FWIW I like MM.

FWIW I think LJ has wasted a lot of money, and you could argue that the market conditions had more of an effect on those 3, and it would be hard to argue that his coaching had a major influence on Kodjia, bearing in mind he was trying to accommodate him on the right wing!

Yeah, you can't give Kodjia fee to LJ. Then again, I'm not sure you can 100% give it to SC either! He certainly wasn't an SC target so credit to the scouts for that one. Appreciate credit is due to SC for getting the best out of him of course...

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, you can't give Kodjia fee to LJ. Then again, I'm not sure you can 100% give it to SC either! He certainly wasn't an SC target so credit to the scouts for that one. Appreciate credit is due to SC for getting the best out of him of course...

There’s a big part of me that dreads to think what we’d have done without £11m for Kodjia, £4-5m for Bolassie, £1m for Adomah....plus the smallish fees for Freeman, Ayling and Agard, but wage bill reduction.  That money covers the wage bill for a whole season.  I accept that not all of Kodjia’s £11m was profit.  But without those players going last season:

1) we’d have posted a very big loss

2) FFP pressure this season

3) wouldn’t have been able to bring in Hegeler, Giefer, Djúric, Cotterill and Taylor last January - you may argue that might’ve been a positive :P

4) we might have had to lose Flint last season

etc etc.

I’m mixed re LJ, but he’s been a lucky boy living in Uncle Steve’s Sweetshop.

I do think that is why 1, 2 or 3 of Bryan, Reid and Flint will need to be sold in the summer.  We have to balance the books / fund next year’s signings / whims.

I paint quite a stark situation, but I’m not convinced it’s much rosier.

Thoughts?

We posted a £3m loss last season wasn't it? That was with the money for JK and the YB/AA windfall.

Honestly I don't see there being any chance of us not cashing in on at least one of our more valuable players.

I would like to see Bryan get a chance in the PL and I reckon a new challenge might be good for him too. If we get an £8-10m offer we probably should wish him luck and give Kelly his chance next season.

I would be more worried if BR or AF left as I don't see an obvious replacement for either of them.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There’s a big part of me that dreads to think what we’d have done without £11m for Kodjia, £4-5m for Bolassie, £1m for Adomah....plus the smallish fees for Freeman, Ayling and Agard, but wage bill reduction.  That money covers the wage bill for a whole season.  I accept that not all of Kodjia’s £11m was profit.  But without those players going last season:

1) we’d have posted a very big loss

2) FFP pressure this season

3) wouldn’t have been able to bring in Hegeler, Giefer, Djúric, Cotterill and Taylor last January - you may argue that might’ve been a positive :P

4) we might have had to lose Flint last season

etc etc.

I’m mixed re LJ, but he’s been a lucky boy living in Uncle Steve’s Sweetshop.

I do think that is why 1, 2 or 3 of Bryan, Reid and Flint will need to be sold in the summer.  We have to balance the books / fund next year’s signings / whims.

I paint quite a stark situation, but I’m not convinced it’s much rosier.

Thoughts?

Nope, I totally agree. Which is why I said last summer that the plan was to sell Flint to balance the books but it backfired. 

Because we didn't have a big sell last summer or in January I think it's very likely at least two of our most sellable assets will be gone this summer.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

08EA482B-33B2-4DEC-A9A1-106FF33EB117.thumb.png.e17fff0e8b5662fd0c2054467102e132.png

ipswich and Birmingham from 16/17 accounts are probably the teams most like Bristol City financially.  For however big Ipswich once were, they are now a bottom half / bottom 8 club at this level....like ourselves.

I meant over the whole period he was in charge at Ipswich....

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

.....and even though you posted a huge, largely blank spreadsheet you aren’t correct, I was talking about Mick’s transfer budget at Ipswich...he only spent £5.5m on transfers in the last SIX years, despite bringing in nearly £19m by selling players in the same period...so I maintain, his transfer budget was far tighter than a Bristol City manager would have had over the same period....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/13/mick-mcarthy-forced-out-ipswich-fans

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....and even though you posted a huge, largely blank spreadsheet you aren’t correct, I was talking about Mick’s transfer budget at Ipswich...he only spent £5.5m on transfers in the last SIX years, despite bringing in nearly £19m by selling players in the same period...so I maintain, his transfer budget was far tighter than a Bristol City manager would have had over the same period....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/13/mick-mcarthy-forced-out-ipswich-fans

And I think £2.5m of that was last summer ie a million each for Waghorn and Garner. That was a big spending summer for Ipswich and LJ spent double that on one player!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who the hell is Gabrielle Benson 

:dunno:

was that her character name Dave ?

Edit

Just looked it up and yes it wa

Now Fevs  That is amazingly impressive

or

Maybe a tad ‘worrying’   

;)

:laughcont:

Who ?