IGNORED

Bristol Boy - a thought provoking perspective

NickJ

43 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

I’m taking value for money in the recruitment strategy. 

O’Dowda, Duric, Eliason, Engvall, Moore, Walsh, Magnusson. Total of £11m outlay. None of them have held down a 1st team spot. Some not even close. Even pre-injury, Cod & Duric weren’t regular starters.

The signings that are slightly more successfully (Brownhill, Paterson, Taylor?) are free transfers and small fees. 

The recruitment needs to be seriously scrutinised if it doesn’t start providing more regular 1st team starters next season. That’s on Ashton. 

I would argue our squad was quite thin when a decent number of these signings were made and it needed padding out as well as quality being added.

Yeah, we could and should have got better value for money I agree. However, Eliasson hasn't been given a proper chance.

O'Dowda was a slow burner, but when he got injured something like 3 assists and a goal in 4 games so he was hitting a groove.

Djuric has made contributions- don't think he was signed as a starter.

Walsh and Moore? For the future. Question is, in Walsh's case out of Brownhill, Smith and Pack in the central midfield who would he displace? I think he should be the next cab off the rank if any of them get injured, but those 3 have been rather good this year- his versatility means he could contend for an attacking midfielder role too. Moore? We'll have to wait and see.

To me, the only out and out failure in that list , for value and the lot is Engvall. 

Perhaps part of the issue is that LJ potentially has some favourites to an extent, and is reluctant to deviate- in shape certainly.

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

Some truth in that but it’s generally utter rubbish he spouts 

Do you mean that the specific post which I have reproduced is generally utter rubbish, or that Ian in general spouts utter rubbish?

28 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Ashton has himself said that all off field football matters are his responsibility. That includes scouting, analysts, contractual decisions. LJ no doubt had some say but the overall responsibility is on Ashton. That’s his role. LJ is the head coach, not the head of recruitment. 

LJ is not the head of recruitment but has said himself he has the final say on all signings.

LJ will say what positions he wants filling. The scouts will have watched, and will then recommend, players from a list prepared by themselves and the analysts. Ashton will make enquiries as to their suitability to BCFC character wise, their contractual situation, wages and length of contract, plus the likely fee to be involved. 

When they've whittled the list down to those City can afford and who seem best suited they present the final names to LJ who will watch them himself, and if he is convinced by their suitability he will interview them personally to ensure they will fit in with his squad and dressing room.

If satisfied he will then give the go ahead for MA to clinch the signing.

Ashton plays a big part, and many others play a smaller one, but LJ plays the decisive one. 

Ashton and others do the spadework and the paperwork but we've been assured the ultimate 'yes' or 'no' is always down to LJ.

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Ian spouts utter rubbish, in general.

If you agree that there is some truth in what he says in this particular post, why would you feel the need to say this? What does it actually add? 

Never seen so many accept so much mediocrity. Maybe you have all bought into the project, but the level of incompetence displayed consistently is bewildering.  I assume it is the concept or ideal that is being portrayed that is burning the desire. Indeed , there is nothing wrong with wanting excellence in all areas of coaching, recruitment and preparation. But it is simply not happening , and the folly of the current desperate set up hidden behind PR speak and excuses. To come out today and say the team lacks leaders is another farcical excuse after 5 transfer windows. The 3 players signed in January, which one of those is a leader ? If that was the prime need as now stated. What impact would signing a player who has a clause that he needs to play have the other squad members ? Budget limited ? Well yes maybe, but tell me that Diony and Kent were not on the radar ? They were, and have been for a long time, and they were wanted. They were not last minute decisions . They were just bad decisions. 

There have been 5 windows, 36 players signed (many signed after loan periods and then found to be wanting , so even when we get to try a player we get it wrong) only 4 players (5 if you must include Baker) started Saturday. Worse maybe that one of the so called leaders , Wright did not start. Also notable that when Wright was at right back, we were far more solid , despite his attacking limitations. The successful period of this season coincided with injuries, so quite the opposite to the excuses of why we have fallen apart, the injuries actually forced the team to play in a far more successful and accomplished manner than when the squad levels returned. They tried to hawk Flint off in the summer, bought his replacement, but then could then get the money they wanted and so he ended up staying. Luck again as he was strongly behind last seasons survival and many good things during the better period of performance . 

As for the tactics, well it has changed constantly as soon as the fitness of the squad returned, anyone can see it, the stats confirm it, and the players will tell you. High pressing game ? Well when did that arrive, certainly not  when they were signing Tomlin and O'Neil was it, then repeated with Duric and Diedhiou ? How do they fit that plan ? There is no pattern , no game plan, and certainly not a balanced squad to play what we are told is the plan,. It all then becomes something else when it hits the pitch. Players confused ? Maybe, but it is the coach that is confused first and foremost.

The first revamp needed at the club is to the coaching and scouting network. It won't happen, as yet again another transfer window of follow is going to happen. 

Why does the football team have this approach and rugby the stellar opposite ? 

To not make the playoffs after the platform created is a catastrophic failure. Driven heavily by the actions of the coach. 

Carry on believing the nonsense being spouted if you want but the club need modern and innovative coaching and recruitment, and they also need substance in that strategy. Put in place quality people to deliver that objective for once and for all. 

1 hour ago, Psychopomp said:

. Also notable that when Wright was at right back, we were far more solid , despite his attacking limitations. The successful period of this season coincided with injuries, so quite the opposite to the excuses of why we have fallen apart, the injuries actually forced the team to play in a far more successful and accomplished manner than when the squad levels returned. They tried to hawk Flint off in the summer, bought his replacement, but then could then get the money they wanted and so he ended up staying. Luck again as he was strongly behind last seasons survival and many good things during the better period of performance . 

Luck.

It could have been accidental.

Fell into shit and it was roses for a few months.

No project.

No big  plan.

Luck.

Makes you feel dirty doesn't it!

2 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Of course there are other signings but those I singled out are the ones which are the big money signings of whom we’ve yet to see any kind of tangible return. 

£11m of signings. They need to be the ones who start showing next year. 

The coaching of players you’ve mentioned is not relevant to my post. I am arguing that Ashton is to be held to account for the recruitment. The fact LJ might have improved some players is basically his job. I’m calling Ashton out for recruitment, not LJ. 

Edit. Plus those I mentioned (the bigger money signings) have an average age of nearly 22. They’re not exactly inexperienced teens. 

I agree, I think there needs to be some work done in the recruitment stakes. But I think credit should be given for the hits as well as criticism for the misses. I’m relatively neutral on Ashton but he has also been key in negotiating very good outgoing transfer fees to be fair to him. 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads. Bristol Boy used to post on here, a lot, for those that don't know, but these days puts his opinions across on Ziderheads only. But he is also Ian of Twentyman Talks Back fame.

Here goes. His reply to Robbored (who goes under "Ashton Alf" on Ziderheads):

Yes, it's a fact that City have done better this season however I would have thought that was to be expected having spent £9m on two players that you couldn't even bring to mind yesterday.Millions have been squandered on others who can't even get in the team or the squad.

28 signings & even allowing for loans that have gone back,only 5 started yesterday.One of those was here before LJ came near the place.

Up to Xmas, I thought LJ had cracked it & come up with a formula.Loads of positive comments get GT to play them back to you.

Since then, it's been all downhill in the main.The form has been dire-relegation standard & yesterday's substitutions to close the game out were nothing short of stupid.I've outlined what they should have been in the R&R & it was easy to see.

Jan was an abject failure & in terms of being "difficult", (MA Quote) that's the way it is for every club in the League particularly for those without a multi billionaire backer.

We are now "Hunted instead of Hunters" because our cup run showcased our better players! So is the answer not to do well, because if that's what he wants then he's cracked that since Xmas.So say, clubs wanted Flint.In reality one club, three bids highest. one for Flint £2.75m.

Not linked with any quality SBC players only L1/2 & players struggling at other SBC Clubs.

His job is to do the "difficult things".I liken it to a brain surgeon......fucking difficult job, that............but if you lost one of your nearest & dearest because they fucked an operation up & then they excused it because it was "difficult" I don't suppose you'd be to pleased.If it's to difficult pack the job in & fuck off so someone else can do it.You can take the scout that found Diony with you!!

Our loan signings have been wretched apart from Tammy.Now we're getting fined for Kent not playing & have fucked the relationship with Liverpool another bastard master stroke from the bloke you think is a genius.

Remember this-Twice fuck all is fuck all & we have regressed since Xmas in a way that should deeply concern you unless you want to be in League One in 2019/20.

Look at the managers/coaches of the top five clubs & you won't see anyone learning on the job who's won fuck all in the way of promotions love them or hate them.

So, my opinion is that, like many others, I would have taken a 10th place finish in August because we almost got relegated last time out-However, having been second at Xmas, I, unlike you, find it completely unacceptable that we have regressed to our current level & that the Board didn't seize the day, just like when GJ was here.

LJ told us that he has final sanction on all incoming transfers in terms of whether he wants the player or not so the ones signed are his players.

Want some leaders? Then fucking well sign some when you're checking their DNA.

MA's job is to do the deals, run the scouts etc, etc..........How's that gone? The bloke we employ in Scandanavia wants shooting.

I'll add, I'm not opinionated-I have opinions-look up the difference.

Progess v last season, yes up until Xmas agree 100% since then, regression at an alarming rate & my real fear is that LJ/MA & his army of coaches have been unable to address it over 22 games, almost half a season.We had a 100% available squad yesterday.

Hear enough of this chopper on the radio, likes the sound of his own voice and he’s no balance in his views. Happy to keep him on the other forum

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting analogy but not particularly appropriate and far too simplistic. Football is a sport, a competition between two teams, it isn’t a tangible product that has one defined measure of quality. 

It’s weird, on the one hand you have this uproar about the spirit of the club being eroded under BS and how the club is able so much more than money, success etc....and on the other you have the notion that if the football isn’t good you’ll just wander elsewhere and find some that is good. 

Are you saying that if the product is shite which it has been for 4 months that people won't eventually vote with their feet?, do you honestly think the extra 5k supporters gained this season will not eventually drift away until the next LJ winning streak?

No the dog and the Missus get more attention as does the garden.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

It would be a pity if Bristol Boy's view was restricted to the limited numbers who frequent Ziderheads. Bristol Boy used to post on here, a lot, for those that don't know, but these days puts his opinions across on Ziderheads only. But he is also Ian of Twentyman Talks Back fame.

Yes, it's a fact that City have done better this season however I would have thought that was to be expected having spent £9m on two players that you couldn't even bring to mind yesterday.Millions have been squandered on others who can't even get in the team or the squad.

28 signings & even allowing for loans that have gone back,only 5 started yesterday.One of those was here before LJ came near the place.

Up to Xmas, I thought LJ had cracked it & come up with a formula.Loads of positive comments get GT to play them back to you.

Since then, it's been all downhill in the main.The form has been dire-relegation standard & yesterday's substitutions to close the game out were nothing short of stupid.I've outlined what they should have been in the R&R & it was easy to see.

Jan was an abject failure & in terms of being "difficult", (MA Quote) that's the way it is for every club in the League particularly for those without a multi billionaire backer.

We are now "Hunted instead of Hunters" because our cup run showcased our better players! So is the answer not to do well, because if that's what he wants then he's cracked that since Xmas.So say, clubs wanted Flint.In reality one club, three bids highest. one for Flint £2.75m.

Not linked with any quality SBC players only L1/2 & players struggling at other SBC Clubs.

His job is to do the "difficult things".I liken it to a brain surgeon......fucking difficult job, that............but if you lost one of your nearest & dearest because they fucked an operation up & then they excused it because it was "difficult" I don't suppose you'd be to pleased.If it's to difficult pack the job in & fuck off so someone else can do it.You can take the scout that found Diony with you!!

Our loan signings have been wretched apart from Tammy.Now we're getting fined for Kent not playing & have fucked the relationship with Liverpool another bastard master stroke from the bloke you think is a genius.

Remember this-Twice fuck all is fuck all & we have regressed since Xmas in a way that should deeply concern you unless you want to be in League One in 2019/20.

Look at the managers/coaches of the top five clubs & you won't see anyone learning on the job who's won fuck all in the way of promotions love them or hate them.

So, my opinion is that, like many others, I would have taken a 10th place finish in August because we almost got relegated last time out-However, having been second at Xmas, I, unlike you, find it completely unacceptable that we have regressed to our current level & that the Board didn't seize the day, just like when GJ was here.

LJ told us that he has final sanction on all incoming transfers in terms of whether he wants the player or not so the ones signed are his players.

MA's job is to do the deals, run the scouts etc, etc..........How's that gone? The bloke we employ in Scandanavia wants shooting.

Progess v last season, yes up until Xmas agree 100% since then, regression at an alarming rate & my real fear is that LJ/MA & his army of coaches have been unable to address it over 22 games, almost half a season.We had a 100% available squad yesterday.

He needs to Fuck of the fucking fuck

5 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Basically, the recruitment is the remit of Mark Ashton. He needs to be called out. Nearly 30 players signed in 4 windows under his management. And regardless of whether they are for the future or not, you’d expect more than 4 of them to be in the 1st XI by now! 

Ashton runs the whole recruitment strategy. It’s failed miserably. We are still relying on players who’ve been at the club for over 5 years. Ashton’s recruitment philosophy to date has NOT improved us. 

Next season is a big test for Ashton. If our team is still majority-filled with players he’s not signed then I do wonder what the hell he’s doing here. He needs to be held to account as much as LJ on this front. 

Yes, I’m sure LJ has a say in the transfers but the whole recruitment is the responsibility of Ashton. 

He needs some of his signings to start showing up next season. That probably means starting Moore at right back, starting Eliason at right wing. Magnusson playing LCB. Walsh needs to get more games in CM. Engvall needs to get more minutes instead of useless loan signings. Those 5 are an outlay if over £8m!!  Add another £3m for Duric & O’Dowda and we need more production from them too. 

We need to start seeing some of this pay off.  If these things aren’t happening by December, then Ashton needs to be called out as a fraud. 

The team needs to resemble something like this by mid-season to justify Ashton’s position :

New GK

Moore-Wright-Magnusson-Kelly

Eliason-Smith-Walsh-O’Dowda

Engvall-Duric

this is assuming the loss of Flint, Bryan, Reid & Pack. 

Can Ashton’s plans come to fruition? I remain to be convinced. 

Can we just get shot of him?:city:

14 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Are you saying that if the product is shite which it has been for 4 months that people won't eventually vote with their feet?, do you honestly think the extra 5k supporters gained this season will not eventually drift away until the next LJ winning streak?

No the dog and the Missus get more attention as does the garden.

I guess it depends what kind of supporter you are. A POTD will be more inclined to perhaps stay away than a season ticket holder but in all honesty if a poor spell of form is enough to keep you away when almost right til the end of the season we were still in with a chance of the playoffs, then perhaps football - especially at this level - isn’t the right pastime for that person....if you want a guaranteed/set outcome then go to the cinema! 

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Indeed. Had we started in awful form and climbed the table in a remarkable way (as we would have if the two halves of the season were reversed) everyone would be whistling a different tune. Yet the outcome over 46 games is exactly the same. 

It’s natural to fixate on the negatives and I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed and angry at the wasted opportunity (despite being incorrectly labelled as a ‘happy clapper’ on here!)

But the fact remains that we are about to finish our fourth consecutive season of continual improvement in our football league standing. Things are going in the right direction.

The trouble is that these days everyone wants everything NOW NOW NOW and they don’t realise that actually 23 other teams want it too, and sometimes other teams are better than you. That’s football. 

People talk like it’s just us too, they love to think something unique goes on at BCFC. It doesn’t (we’re really not that special in the grand scheme of things you know!)

Leeds, Derby, Sheff U. All arguably bigger clubs and all have suffered as badly as us since the new year. Derby have been throwing mountains of cash at it for years and years and still can’t get over the line. It’s hard. 

I still can't believe that people can't see the difference between starting terribly and ending brilliantly, and starting brilliantly and ending terribly. 

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I guess it depends what kind of supporter you are. A POTD will be more inclined to perhaps stay away than a season ticket holder but in all honesty if a poor spell of form is enough to keep you away when almost right til the end of the season we were still in with a chance of the playoffs, then perhaps football - especially at this level - isn’t the right pastime for that person....if you want a guaranteed/set outcome then go to the cinema! 

Now who's being simplistic?, most people just want to see a team busting a gut, a team trying to play with some skill, a team that creates some excitement and competes, a team that looks as though it has plan and are well drilled and well coached, not 2 games without a shot on target or watching players struggle for 4 months but still get picked week in week out, not a team that plays for half a season and then the other half look as though they can't wait to go on holiday and a coach who has run out of ideas and has a eureka moment when he realises he has no leaders, I have been banging on about it for 2 seasons FFS and he get's well paid to get these things right, it's a basic error.

But hey if SL can afford to lose the hard earned new faces in his shiny new stadium then good luck to him. Lets hope his approach is little more pragmatic.

7 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two weeks ago and all I've got to show for it so far are a few ****ing leaves poking up through the soil. I had hoped to be harvesting and devouring me own spuds by NOW NOW NOW but apparently there won't be any until July or something.

Absolute shambles.

Perchance you purchased these from the WeeLee Garden Centre? The bags may have been marked Jersey Royals but more than likely contained mini turnip.....

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Now who's being simplistic?, most people just want to see a team busting a gut, a team trying to play with some skill, a team that creates some excitement and competes, a team that looks as though it has plan and are well drilled and well coached, not 2 games without a shot on target or watching players struggle for 4 months but still get picked week in week out, not a team that plays for half a season and then the other half look as though they can't wait to go on holiday and a coach who has run out of ideas and has a eureka moment when he realises he has no leaders, I have been banging on about it for 2 seasons FFS and he get's well paid to get these things right, it's a basic error.

But hey if SL can afford to lose the hard earned new faces in his shiny new stadium then good luck to him. Lets hope his approach is little more pragmatic.

I didn’t deny any of that. But you still can’t compare supporting a football team with supporting one pub over another. It’s just different for most people - and the minority of fans for whom it’s not an ingrained way of life are those likely to stay away, but fair weather fans will come and go at every club. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I didn’t deny any of that. But you still can’t compare supporting a football team with supporting one pub over another. It’s just different for most people - and the minority of fans for whom it’s not an ingrained way of life are those likely to stay away, but fair weather fans will come and go at every club. 

I'm sorry but you are wrong, I have supported BCFC for 60 years now and they have even forced me to stay away on several prolonged occasions and get back into assisting to run teams at various levels with ex pro mate of mine, I have to say if my plans for this summer work out, unless I am convinced by our summer activity then I will not consider a season ticket, I will pick and choose, had I been more convinced I would not have hesitated but I object to paying good money and being served up with 50% shit, I know it's football and 11 v 11 but I have to be convinced that my team is all pulling in the same direction and look as though they give a shit, sadly at this precise moment I am really not sure that is the case, I will say it again it does not look like a happy camp to me.

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong, I have supported BCFC for 60 years now and they have even forced me to stay away on several prolonged occasions and get back into assisting to run teams at various levels with ex pro mate of mine, I have to say if my plans for this summer work out, unless I am convinced by our summer activity then I will not consider a season ticket, I will pick and choose, had I been more convinced I would not have hesitated but I object to paying good money and being served up with 50% shit, I know it's football and 11 v 11 but I have to be convinced that my team is all pulling in the same direction and look as though they give a shit, sadly at this precise moment I am really not sure that is the case, I will say it again it does not look like a happy camp to me.

Fair dos, each to their own. 

8 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I planted 3 bags of potatoes two weeks ago and all I've got to show for it so far are a few ****ing leaves poking up through the soil. I had hoped to be harvesting and devouring me own spuds by NOW NOW NOW but apparently there won't be any until July or something.

Absolute shambles.

don't worry, if you miss some you will have first earlies next year

"Can’t disagree on lack of leaders and awful January but I don’t think lack of quality is true at all. You don’t beat several premier league sides if you don’t have quality. You might fluke one game but we went toe to toe with the champions of the country over 3 hours of football. No fluke.  

We have two of the league’s best strikers, defensive players ‘allegedly’ coveted by much better sides and finally an academy that seems to be producing talent. 

Also you mention ‘league position’ as a positive as if its a triviality. It’s the ultimate end goal isn’t it? Form doesn’t matter when the season finishes. You can lose your last ten games and still win the league or you can win your last ten and get relegated. 

When you break things down to simple unarguable facts, we have made four consecutive years of improving our league placing and have gone from staring down the barrel of relegation into Division 4 to falling just short of knocking on the door of the Premier League in four seasons. 

For all the negativity there’s some serious credit due along the way. "

YES beating a number of premier league teams suggests quality over luck. So how do we so explain such poor performances from these quality players over the last 4 months? The decline  is pretty extraordinary.....and the related very poor form very worrying and not a little depressing. The inability to address this and turn the ship around is the real concern. Every time we lose 2 games in a row we simply cannot go on another long run of  defeats and drop stone like down the table.

12 hours ago, NickJ said:

Always talks sense our ian

8 hours ago, Enter Sandman said:

Basically, the recruitment is the remit of Mark Ashton. He needs to be called out. Nearly 30 players signed in 4 windows under his management. And regardless of whether they are for the future or not, you’d expect more than 4 of them to be in the 1st XI by now! 

Ashton runs the whole recruitment strategy. It’s failed miserably. We are still relying on players who’ve been at the club for over 5 years. Ashton’s recruitment philosophy to date has NOT improved us. 

Next season is a big test for Ashton. If our team is still majority-filled with players he’s not signed then I do wonder what the hell he’s doing here. He needs to be held to account as much as LJ on this front. 

Yes, I’m sure LJ has a say in the transfers but the whole recruitment is the responsibility of Ashton. 

He needs some of his signings to start showing up next season. That probably means starting Moore at right back, starting Eliason at right wing. Magnusson playing LCB. Walsh needs to get more games in CM. Engvall needs to get more minutes instead of useless loan signings. Those 5 are an outlay if over £8m!!  Add another £3m for Duric & O’Dowda and we need more production from them too. 

We need to start seeing some of this pay off.  If these things aren’t happening by December, then Ashton needs to be called out as a fraud. 

The team needs to resemble something like this by mid-season to justify Ashton’s position :

New GK

Moore-Wright-Magnusson-Kelly

Eliason-Smith-Walsh-O’Dowda

Engvall-Duric

this is assuming the loss of Flint, Bryan, Reid & Pack. 

Can Ashton’s plans come to fruition? I remain to be convinced. 

Engvall wont play for us again been made a mockery of been treated worse than luke shaw at unt

12 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Does the same apply to articles from newspapers?

It's a good piece and I would suspect a majority of fans would agree with it, the language seems to be coming from a very angry man.

For my opinion, the overall league position is great compared to previous seasons but the form over close to half a season is highly unacceptable, people have defended the transfer policy but Saturday proved that it is at best poor and I have been saying since the turn of the year that we lack leaders, it has been glaringly obvious, well if we don't have any amongst the 30 odd signings (only 5 who started on Saturday) whose fault is that?

Our scouting/transfer policy is not working and needs sorting and I believe the reported possible summer signing of Marley Watkins is testament to that (don't get me wrong he may well end up as a great signing) but the logic behind it is 'he was a good signing for me at Barnsley ergo he will be a good signing for me now', ignoring his current form and situation, ah but maybe he is a leader?

Not if you listen to Norwich fans they would willingly drive him here one goal in twenty seven games oh well sounds about right

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

very true mate something definately wrong down there Baker and flint before xmas best centre backs in the league since the slating of Baker at Burton theyed have a job to play on the downs on a regular basis some of them not wanting to play for the shirt

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

very true mate something definately wrong down there Baker and flint before xmas best centre backs in the league since the slating of Baker at Burton theyed have a job to play on the downs

I said on Saturday hardly anybody joined in the goal celebration when Pack equalised and I noticed that certainly in the past 3 games the amount of bickering between the players has increased immensely.

Archived