IGNORED

Jokanovic

Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Off to Reading apparently- well Twitter talk says so anyway...

I'm not in the LJ out camp but I wonder if he would have come here...?

The same Reading that used to get sub 2000 crowds, before they built the Beigeodrome?

I reckon that he would have come, if the will had been here.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez..........this place is like a merry go round............repeated dreary threads about various managerial alternatives to LJ.....what is about “there is no vacancy at AG” some posters don’t understand?   

As in LJ won't be the manager forever is what I meant. Don't bite so hard next time ;) JEEZ

31 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

It's going to be frustrating seeing them stay up then be in or around the play-offs next season. 

He obviously knows what it takes to get out of this division.

He'd have been ideal for us, and if he's going Reading, he'd definitely consider us imo. 

Fulham finished 6th the previous season, so it’s not quite the same. 

Also Fulham weren’t “All that” before they got Mitrovic on loan in January. Of course he did well there, but I think Reading would prove a tougher gig. 

@Robbored Fair enough, no vacancy right now and I'm not LJ out either, but if one was to arise he would be a progressive choice IMO.

@Mike Hunt-Hertz No doubt the Reading ground put quite a bit on their attendances- however they were right down across the board in the 1980's for quite a range of reasons. They're no more attractive than us and perhaps less.

@Major Isewater Agreed.

@Carey 6 He'll keep them up for sure but I think Reading will have financial issues or at least constraints incoming- more than us. He'll do better than they are now but playoffs bit of a leap- if they traded well though.

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Also Fulham weren’t “All that” before they got Mitrovic on loan in January. Of course he did well there, but I think Reading would prove a tougher gig. 

Agreed, he had a bit of the track record.

He's a well known slow-starter though, maybe there was some belief in the club- without Mitrovic and Targett their run wouldn't have been so brilliant but likely would have shot up from midtable and pushed for playoffs still- closer to 6th than 2nd though- their strong run had already began by time Mitrovic arrived.

@Port Said Red That forum is remarkably similar! However 6th place the prior season and his good work building keeping them up from a mess in 15/16. Mind you LJ has that to his credit also.

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They were down the bottom most of the season with us the year previous to finishing 6th though weren't they? That's more of the point I was making. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, he had a bit of the track record.

He's a well known slow-starter though, maybe there was some belief in the club- without Mitrovic and Targett their run wouldn't have been so brilliant but likely would have shot up from midtable and pushed for playoffs still- closer to 6th than 2nd though- their strong run had already began by time Mitrovic arrived.

@Port Said Red That forum is remarkably similar! However 6th place the prior season and his good work building keeping them up from a mess in 15/16. Mind you LJ has that to his credit also.

I would say their records look remarkably similar too, ok, we fell away last season, but I wouldn't mind betting some of their fans would have taken LJ off our hands up to Xmas. What Jokanovic doesn't have as far as some on this forum is concerned is the baggage of being a Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would say their records look remarkably similar too, ok, we fell away last season, but I wouldn't mind betting some of their fans would have taken LJ off our hands up to Xmas. What Jokanovic doesn't have as far as some on this forum is concerned is the baggage of being a Johnson.

It would've been interesting to see how Fulham would've done with Diony up top from January onwards and us with Mitrovic. The latter's wages were more than double Diony's.

48 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just to back up my point. Here are some threads from the Friends of Fulham Forum last December. Look familiar?

image.thumb.png.443a1ac774dfdbda063cabf1a5ab574b.png

image.thumb.png.8253238ec6e43a943aa14d3b333b59a1.png

image.thumb.png.52f8437902beb284f4f8863ab0b7ea27.png

Just goes to show how reactionary football fans are in general. A few months either way of good or poor form and you’re either a genius or an absolute clown.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It would've been interesting to see how Fulham would've done with Diony up top from January onwards and us with Mitrovic. The latter's wages were more than double Diony's.

It would have been all our eggs in one basket I suppose, it worked for Fulham, but unfortunately the players don't come with a guarantee sticker or an injury clause. I am sure any Manager would love that kind of hindsight.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It would have been all our eggs in one basket I suppose, it worked for Fulham, but unfortunately the players don't come with a guarantee sticker or an injury clause. I am sure any Manager would love that kind of hindsight.

And if it hadn’t worked, the same know it all's would have decried that it was a stupid reckless gamble and shouldn’t have happened. 

27 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

They were down the bottom most of the season with us the year previous to finishing 6th though weren't they? That's more of the point I was making. 

What was interesting to note about comparisons was that Jokanovic being a slow starter- looked at their results that season, 0 wins in his first 5 and longer 2 wins in his first 14. It got worse before it got better- a bit like GJ's and to a lesser extent, Cotts' start here.

He inherited a mess and it took him quite some while to actually improve matters but improve it he eventually did, in spades!

@Port Said Red The Johnson thing maybe a factor, but he also had keeping them up in 15/16 and playoffs 16/17 but also taking Watford up in 14/15 in his favour- that sort of stuff buys you time (though not necessarily on that Fulham forum)!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Jeez..........this place is like a merry go round............repeated dreary threads about various managerial alternatives to LJ.....what is about “there is no vacancy at AG” some posters don’t understand?   

To be fair @Robbored, you've been guilty of this similar type of behaviour yourself over the years.

That and the constant trolling...

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

This time last season he had Fulham on the same points total we are on now, after being in charge for a similar length of time as LJ. Presumably people would have been asking whether he should be replaced if he were in charge currently?

Nice try :robbored: but the answer is obviously No, isn't it?

Why? Because Jokanovic wouldn't have been a manager given the job without earning or deserving it, and without the unwavering patronage of a personal friend as owner (which - btw - might just be at the root of a lot the disaffection and ambivalence towards the current incumbent).

Instead, Jokanovic would have been a manager with a CV showing a top class playing career and, even more pertinent, a promotion from the Championship already under his belt. 

He would have been a manager with a clear and consistent playing style.

He would have been - as far as I can tell from the bits I see and read from him - a manager who doesn't spout bullshite and spin when things are going wrong. 

So yeah, I took the bait - hope the above facts have helped.   

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, Mitrovic got them up.

Well they were already on a charge- in the month or so before Mitrovic joined they had shot up from midtable to 6th with 19 pts from 7- but he helped propel them onwards so yeah in a sense he sealed it perhaps.

Think he took a few games to score his first goal there too but he made the difference IMO.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Robbored Fair enough, no vacancy right now and I'm not LJ out either, but if one was to arise he would be a progressive choice IMO.

@Mike Hunt-Hertz No doubt the Reading ground put quite a bit on their attendances- however they were right down across the board in the 1980's for quite a range of reasons. They're no more attractive than us and perhaps less.

@Major Isewater Agreed.

@Carey 6 He'll keep them up for sure but I think Reading will have financial issues or at least constraints incoming- more than us. He'll do better than they are now but playoffs bit of a leap- if they traded well though.

That is what I meant....they are a shitty no mark team....even we dwarf them.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What was interesting to note about comparisons was that Jokanovic being a slow starter- looked at their results that season, 0 wins in his first 5 and longer 2 wins in his first 14. It got worse before it got better- a bit like GJ's and to a lesser extent, Cotts' start here.

He inherited a mess and it took him quite some while to actually improve matters but improve it he eventually did, in spades!

@Port Said Red The Johnson thing maybe a factor, but he also had keeping them up in 15/16 and playoffs 16/17 but also taking Watford up in 14/15 in his favour- that sort of stuff buys you time (though not necessarily on that Fulham forum)!

Whereas Johnson had keeping us up in 15/16.

You're right, worlds apart.

Archived