IGNORED

New Poster. A bit wary.

roydo

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course, but are they fans of Ola Jordan?

Image result for ola jordan

And sloppy milk drinkers?Related image

A milkman is retiring after 40 years delivering pintas every morning and on his last round he gets cards and gifts from lots of his long standing customers.

He gets to one house and the lady of the house, a a very attractive and shapely young woman opens the door wearing only her skimpy underwear. She asks him if it his last day  and when he says yes asks if he would like to come in. She then takes him by the hand and leads him to the bedroom and proceeds to give him the time of his life. Afterwards she asks him if he would like some breakfast, and when he goes downstairs on the table is a full English, toast and a pot of tea and on next to the plate is a pound coin.

The milkman asks " I hope you don't me asking but why have you done all of this for me- all my other customers just gave me small gifts and cards?"

The woman replies " I told my husband that you were retiring after 40 years and asked what we should give you" 

" **** him, give him a quid!" my hubby answered, "the breakfast was my idea"

18 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

im sorry,i didn't explain very well. I meant I have a friend with a farm ?  ive never been to Canada but imagine its huge compared to uk

The scale of the place amazed me when I first came to Canada, now it's just annoying to travel lots of hours just to get somewhere!

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

I enjoy watching the ice road trucker programmes,does it get that cold near you too?

Yes unfortunately it does get that cold. Usually have to work in - 30 to -40 C and loads of snow this time of year but luckily only about -10C at the moment, so a very mild winter this year

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:03, Med/MadHatter said:

Hi everyone, here is another new poster to get your teeth in to, :laugh:. Very long time reader of this forum, also used to like the BBC chat page. Decided to finally join up and pay to support the forum as it has given me so much enjoyment over the years. Born and raised in Frampton Cotterell/ Winterbourne, first game was home to Southampton in 1974, and a regular attendee until I left Bristol in 1983, now live in Medicine Hat, Canada, so only a long distance fan now but avid searcher for feeds of our matches and following the forum matchday thread when I am unable to watch! Much respect for all you lucky people who go to see City play, I can't wait to get to see the new Ashton Gate when I come over to Bristol later this year. Here's to a great end of this season. Bless you all

Kinnel....small world...of all the places to end up in Canada...the Gas city!!! Spent 5 years that way. Based up the road in Elkwater. Spent much time in the 1234 Café and fighting off cougars :laugh:

Only thing that kept me sane was watching the Tigers and trips to Banff and Castle. The odd venture into Montana for cheap shopping.  Moxies and the Local for food, drink and eye candy.

Of all the places in Canada...why the Hat...Army?

As for the cold...Brits have no idea what cold is. Usually minus 15 in the winter when I was that way. Minus 52 with wind chill was she coldest I experienced. Got frostbite on my cheekbones.

31 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Yes unfortunately it does get that cold. Usually have to work in - 30 to -40 C and loads of snow this time of year but luckily only about -10C at the moment, so a very mild winter this year

-10 cripples the uk,hate to think what those temps would do

Jeez I never thought about me living in the Gas City, Oh the shame! Worked at the Army base as a civvy upgrading all the armour on secondment from Bovington in Dorset, met the wife in the bar at the Med Hat Lodge and ended up over here! Yep have had plenty of cold days as I work up north in the oilfield, it doesn't get any easier as I get older! Moxies is still here, but for some odd reason and to my delight we have had 4 Indian restaurants open here in the Hat in the last year, laugh!

On 12/01/2019 at 21:51, BobBobSuperBob said:

You may find the odd thread veers off topic.......

WOW! Tell me about it.

This thread was started by @roydo, a wary, first-time poster, who explained that he had been following City since moving to Portishead from Liverpool in the mid-1970s: this prompted a few warm welcomes, some warnings and/or insults about fellow posters, a few reminiscences and, risibly, a warning not to engage in puns.

So far, so good.

So good, in fact, that another first-time poster, albeit a long-time reader, @Med/MadHatter, was tempted to emerge from cold and snowy Canada.

Canada, of course, is in North America, which prompted one of the many ex-pats on this forum, @REDOXO, to extend his own welcome, suggesting that the chat box on match day might be an ideal place to meet fellow North American ex-pats, perhaps even the odd Canuck. Oh, I nearly forgot. REDOXO also has a friend with a farm in Brooks.

Ah Yes, Canada. Some of us have actually visited North America, including @RED4LIFE, who loves Alberta, especially Jasper and Banff, and has been there five times - but, Please, let us not digress and start talking about wasps and pies. And, most certainly, not about fish! 

Did I mention digress?

Well, just like Canadaphile REDOXO, a certain @redsquirrel also has a friend, and this friend has a farm! In the aptly named (for a farm) Cowbridge.

A small world indeed, but wait!

This farm, in Cowbridge, isn't actually in Canada, nor is it even in Cowbridge. It is in Llantwit Major. In Wales, just across the Bristol Channel! And, wait for it, nor is it a farm; it sells lawn mowers!

Luckily for all of us, Redsquirrel has clarified everything.

'I'm sorry, I didn't explain very well. I meant I have a friend with a farm ?  I've never been to Canada but imagine it's huge compared to UK.'

Forget being wary, @roydo. Be afraid, very afraid.

10 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Jeez I never thought about me living in the Gas City, Oh the shame! Worked at the Army base as a civvy upgrading all the armour on secondment from Bovington in Dorset, met the wife in the bar at the Med Hat Lodge and ended up over here! Yep have had plenty of cold days as I work up north in the oilfield, it doesn't get any easier as I get older! Moxies is still here, but for some odd reason and to my delight we have had 4 Indian restaurants open here in the Hat in the last year, laugh!

You ever ski up the road at Hidden Valley? I used to run the races for the army there. Plus coach some of them... complete nutters. Think we had three ambulances in the car park at one event...limbs everywhere...total yard sale :laugh:

We might have met if you did...

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

You ever ski up the road at Hidden Valley? I used to run the races for the army there. Plus coach some of them... complete nutters. Think we had three ambulances in the car park at one event...limbs everywhere...total yard sale :laugh:

We might have met if you did...

Yes, but mostly went to Banff, haven't been there for a few years due to too many injuries, arthritis etc, my youth time activities are catching up with me now :laugh:

11 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

-10 cripples the uk,hate to think what those temps would do

-10!

In parts of Islington a drop to 5 degrees is enough to make them get out the Ugg boots, Mink Coats and wheel chains for the Rover to ensure they can get to Heathrow for the flight to Barbados.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

WOW! Tell me about it.

This thread was started by @roydo, a wary, first-time poster, who explained that he had been following City since moving to Portishead from Liverpool in the mid-1970s: this prompted a few warm welcomes, some warnings and/or insults about fellow posters, a few reminiscences and, risibly, a warning not to engage in puns.

So far, so good.

So good, in fact, that another first-time poster, albeit a long-time reader, @Med/MadHatter, was tempted to emerge from cold and snowy Canada.

Canada, of course, is in North America, which prompted one of the many ex-pats on this forum, @REDOXO, to extend his own welcome, suggesting that the chat box on match day might be an ideal place to meet fellow North American ex-pats, perhaps even the odd Canuck. Oh, I nearly forgot. REDOXO also has a friend with a farm in Brooks.

Ah Yes, Canada. Some of us have actually visited North America, including @RED4LIFE, who loves Alberta, especially Jasper and Banff, and has been there five times - but, Please, let us not digress and start talking about wasps and pies. And, most certainly, not about fish! 

Did I mention digress?

Well, just like Canadaphile REDOXO, a certain @redsquirrel also has a friend, and this friend has a farm! In the aptly named (for a farm) Cowbridge.

This farm, in Cowbridge, isn't actually in Canada, nor is it even in Cowbridge. It is in Llantwit Major. In Wales, just across the Bristol Channel! And, wait for it, nor is it a farm; it sells lawn mowers!

'I'm sorry, I didn't explain very well. I meant I have a friend with a farm ?  I've never been to Canada but imagine it's huge compared to UK.'

I didn't realise that OTIB had a subscription with National Geographic! :)

New poster, being wary.

Old poster, being weary.

43 minutes ago, downendcity said:

-10!

In parts of Islington a drop to 5 degrees is enough to make them get out the Ugg boots, Mink Coats and wheel chains for the Rover to ensure they can get to Heathrow for the flight to Barbados.

TBF...it's a damp cold over here, it gets in your bones and you feel it more. I feel colder in the UK than I ever did in Canada, even when it was minus 15. It's such a dry cold there. Some days you couldn't even make a snowball as there was no moisture in the snow...it was like sugar. Perfect for skiing on though ?

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

TBF...it's a damp cold over here, it gets in your bones and you feel it more. I feel colder in the UK than I ever did in Canada, even when it was minus 15. It's such a dry cold there. Some days you couldn't even make a snowball as there was no moisture in the snow...it was like sugar. Perfect for skiing on though ?

That's true, I only put on my thermals to go to work when it hits -20, like you say good for skiing but I hate the snow now after having to work up near the arctic circle for years and being in snow from October until May every year! :laugh:

Never mind the Canadian winter! It’s no place for a city fan!  When I was at the hat a group of us went camping on a lake side, got in big trouble for cooking fish on an open fire and poor research meant we had to drive for 3 hours to buy drink!  The area we were in was Mormon, no alcohol allowed at all!

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

WOW! Tell me about it.

So far, so good.

Did I mention digress?

I have just stopped laughing! Even Mrs Oxo said what are you laughing at...!!

The Cowbridge Lawn mower thing I;m not sure about except @redsquirrelis obviously a bit nuts and Nailsea should be avoided, but that’s ok it’s not in Alberta! For the record I like Banff too!

18 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Which presumably aren't Native American.

They should Sioux them for cultural mis-appropriation.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've noticed the ratio of new posters who start a thread to introduce themselves ( not that many tbf.) and then go on to become regular contributors is very low.

it's a shame that is the case.

I've long said that this must be one of the best football forums, with a mixture of reasonably healthy, sensible debate  - and Robbored. There is also good dollop of humour and while  threads will go off tangent on occasions,  it does make the forum interesting and varied and on occassions raises a smile when affairs on the pitch might otherwise make us suicidal. 

Of course things can get a bit divisive and heated and some posts can be over aggressive towards fellow posters, but that is probably more a reflection on social media in general, rather than this forum in particular.

What I also think is great is the mix of different types of poster. We have some who are obviously very knowledgable about the game and who have detailed knowledge about the club, and post interesting  insight into issues. Some are hugely detailed,  with graphs and charts ( some of which I still can't fathom)  and invest their time into researching details for the benefit of fellow fans. Some are erudite and are able to explain issues clearly while others can say much in only a few, brief lines. Some are comedians ( or like to th ink they are!) some are Gigolos ( yes, you Rudolph) some post  rubbish, some are argumentative and won't be beaten in an argument.

With such a broad mix of posters I'd like to think that any newbie will be able to find a place and contribute to whatever degree they choose. 

Going on other clubs' forums, some have tumbleweed blowing through, so low are the levels of participation, while others should have a message suggesting those affected by issues discussed can contact the samaritans, such is the level of aggression and  wrist slitting on display.

Even if other posters' views and opinions don't coincide with mine, it doesn't matter  because as long a football fans are discussing their team you will never get complete agreement about anything. As someone living away, and with limited opportunity to get to games, the forum provides a brilliant link to what is going on in and around the club and how fellow fans, much closer to the club in every sense,  are feeling about the club and team. Accordingly, thank you all!

Archived