IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

6 minutes ago, MC26 said:

Laughing off a £12 million bid for a CB is not something I ever expected to be doing as a City fan.

5 minutes ago, Gary Nanes said:

12m :laugh: 

**** off Villa you chancers

So Villa think he is worth less than a player with potential who has not really played centre half at league level? No doubt the Villa fans will be saying that they we should be letting him go for nothing if he has the chance to play for the mighty Villa. 

I have just found this story from 7 days ago, that suggests that they made an offer back then. 

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/06/blogs/villa-make-move-for-webster/

Maybe this is why we have laid down a price?

Some comments from Villa forum;

Please...  EVERYONE knows  that Bristol City is at least 1.5 times the size of Brentford.  It's going to take AT LEAST a bid of £30 million before they'll talk to us...  

Walk away. If Mepham is worth £12m then so is Webster. Not a penny more. 

It stands to reason that we are going to be held to ransom by these tinpot championship clubs

A 'Premier League team in waiting', according to the dwarf in the shorts

:laughcont:

29 minutes ago, James54De said:

Stones? You’re seriously stating Stones doesn’t deserve a cap. One of the best managers/coaches to grace this planet rates him as one of the beet Centre backs in the game. Incredible player, albeit a bit fragile when it comes to recovering from mistakes and criticism in the media.  

I said they were lucky to have international caps (plural).

All have big mistakes in them (and regularly too).

1 hour ago, Ashton98 said:

What English centre backs would you say are better in the championship? 

Off the top of my head (should probably check they're actually English), Cardiff's captain is solid at centre-back, as is Leeds United's captain.

Another for the Premier League lot is Conner Coady. I remember him being brilliant at Wolves, and I completely forgot he was English.

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

Yep. Last we've seen of Webster in a City shirt ?‍♂️

It's starting to have a feeling of inevitability about it now, what's been palmed off as press talk before is now concrete. Can't blame the lad for wanting to play in the Prem though if it does happen. Just got to hold out for the best deal and hope we have someone decent lined up to replace him. 

33 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

What worries me is that he'll like the idea of playing Premier League football, and so become unhappy and not want to be here anymore, and/or demand we accept a sum lower than £30m.

Maybe I've been playing too much Football Manager though ?

And that is the issue that we now look to have. IF Villa have made a bid at £12m and we have said no thanks then it begs the question from any other interested clubs - OK, so how much? The £30m has been put out there to discourage bids but that is not to say we would not look seriously at say £20m with add-on's.

The real danger is that the players head is turned.........I suspect he will be offered an improved contract with an agreement to let him go next summer for the right price unless we get promoted.

2 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well, that didn't take them long :facepalm:

Compared to a lot of other Premiership clubs I would think that Aston are tinpot themselves.

Well, we squeezed 15m out of them for Kodjia - not bad for a tinpot championship club :laughcont:

No reason why we can't do them again and get 20m as they've proven to be a club that are crap at negotiating - that would be too much to turn down imo.

After getting 13m minimum for Kelley another 20m for Webster would enable the club to get some very decent replacements.

What is it with villa and our players, they seem to have a stiffy for our players current and former.

If £12m is the opening bid then so be it but honestly I wouldn't sell for less then £20m up front plus addons (including a fee for an international cap)

One of my worroes is who do we get to replace him if he does go? Would Kalas return if Webster has gone? 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

It's starting to have a feeling of inevitability about it now, what's been palmed off as press talk before is now concrete. Can't blame the lad for wanting to play in the Prem though if it does happen. Just got to hold out for the best deal and hope we have someone decent lined up to replace him. 

If we haven't done that to LJ's satisfaction there could be ructions. As he said last year, it can't always be about the future.

12 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

It’s going to happen isn’t it ?

Maybe.

But I think the club will hold out for 20m - is there a club willing to pay that much ?

If so, take it, too good to turn down imo.

I would think/hope the club have their eyes on replacements if it does happen - they expected bids after all.

5 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Got a feeling he'll go if we receive a bid of 17m+

Would be a bit embarrassing to get 17 having asked for 30. I imagine we asked for 20 for Kelly and ended up getting 13+4. We won't go too far down from 30 imo.

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Some comments from Villa forum;

Please...  EVERYONE knows  that Bristol City is at least 1.5 times the size of Brentford.  It's going to take AT LEAST a bid of £30 million before they'll talk to us...  

Walk away. If Mepham is worth £12m then so is Webster. Not a penny more. 

It stands to reason that we are going to be held to ransom by these tinpot championship clubs

A 'Premier League team in waiting', according to the dwarf in the shorts

:laughcont:

I have come to hate Villa nearly as much as the SAGS and I'm going to love watching those self entitled arrogant bell-ends get smashed all over the place next season and come flying back down to the Championship where they actually belong.

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I have come to hate Villa nearly as much as the SAGS and I'm going to love watching those self entitled arrogant bell-ends get smashed all over the place next season and come flying back down to the Championship where they actually belong.

Totally agree. The only downside to their relegation was having to put up with them twice a season.

I really  have to question  the  bold in transfers piece that li said after the Hull game  last season,  if this does go through.  Perhaps they meant bold as in outgoings?  And top 6/ promotion side is a far off bet. Havnt even got any incoming to soften the blow, would  Kalas or da Silva even want to come being we seem to sell our top players. 

3 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

I really  have to question  the  bold in transfers piece that li said after the Hull game  last season,  if this does go through.  Perhaps they meant bold as in outgoings?  And top 6/ promotion side is a far off bet. Havnt even got any incoming to soften the blow, would  Kalas or da Silva even want to come being we seem to sell our top players. 

I really have to question everybody getting in a state over this.

4 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Think we just need to go with it until we know where we are at the start of the season.  Have to trust the club have plans in place for now. 

5 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Oh no I'm worried now. Who told you we aren't signing anyone? Mark Ashton?

Ipswich get up to 40% of anything over 3.5. The valuation is what I expected. Now who is going to get close 

vile supporters getting all peculiar like its a slight on them is sooo strange. Seven interested clubs of which they are one providing we sell cheap. *****!

For £12m tell them they can have Baker...

As I said weeks ago, if Webster does go then it will be for stupid amounts of money. We don't need to sell him, we don't want to sell him, so unless he says he wants to go, or someone tables a stupid bid (not this kind of stupid mind) then he won't go anywhere.

10 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

With acknowledgements to The Exiled Robin, I'm posting this for a second time for those with selective memories:

https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/05/lee-johnson-interview-with-geoff-twentyman/

Yes I said it and I believe we’ve got to be bold. That interpretation might not mean big names and loads of money though. But it might be. For me it’s about going after a particular type of player we want and getting them, or promoting an under-23 player, they’re bold decisions to make, just as breaking our transfer fee would be. We’ve got to balance the U23s, the guys who have been out on loan versus who’s available on the market.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would be a bit embarrassing to get 17 having asked for 30. I imagine we asked for 20 for Kelly and ended up getting 13+4. We won't go too far down from 30 imo.

It isn’t embarrassing at all. The 30m statement is just so clubs know they need serious offers. I am sure Webster is a good lad and won’t fuss too much but guaranteed he’d be a bit livid if we turned down say 22m for him. 

There is a number, closer to 12 than 30, that the club probably have to accept. I personally think the Harry Maguire deal to Leicester is a good comparison. Not an exact comparison as Maguire had prem experience but similar age and style. Think it was an initial 17m for him.

Think if we were to get a serious bid of 16-17m plus add ons and sell ons we’d have to discuss it with AW. No we don’t HAVE to sell finacially but just don’t think the club is interested in holding players back. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It isn’t embarrassing at all. The 30m statement is just so clubs know they need serious offers. I am sure Webster is a good lad and won’t fuss too much but guaranteed he’d be a bit livid if we turned down say 22m for him. 

There is a number, closer to 12 than 30, that the club probably have to accept. I personally think the Harry Maguire deal to Leicester is a good comparison. Not an exact comparison as Maguire had prem experience but similar age and style. Think it was an initial 17m for him.

Think if we were to get a serious bid of 16-17m plus add ons and sell ons we’d have to discuss it with AW. No we don’t HAVE to sell finacially but just don’t think the club is interested in holding players back. 

If you are going to use £17m for Maguire back then as a benchmark you have to add on an amount for the constant inflation in fees, which would certainly take us over the £20m mark as a minimum.

Add also the strength of our negotiating position and the fact that we have shown we are no pushover these days and the price goes up further.

Villa on the other hand have shown themselves to be crap negotiators and happy to splurge money whatever the risk so maybe they'll cave in!

Archived