IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

Was told last night,by someone who works at Ashton Gate,that Webster and Palmer are both done deals and will be announced either today or tomorrow.He’s not known as a wind up merchant,so make of it what you will.

Why was he training yesterday risking injury before his big summer pay out?

Not saying I don’t think he’s off just it’s a bit further away then being announced today or tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was under the impression they were both possible. 

If not I guess it will be Moore or risk any incoming player.

Either way...not the best way to start the season.

Agreed - not the best preparation. But a perfectly understandable deal for both the player and the club.

At the open training session yesterday Wright didn't take part and Baker trained on his own, running and ball work. Webster was fully engaged alongside Kallas. Moore played in a CB role and Vyner on the right - from which I assume that Vyner is cover for Hunt - as he was in the friendly at Wimbledon where his fabulous cross set up one of the goals, and Moore (who is now has a physique of Kallas proportions) is worthy of a place on the bench as CB...maybe even a start.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree...quality. A CB with midfield ball skills with great vision and reading of the game.

We'll be lucky to get any decent results early doors imo.

I get the impression the way LJ preferred to set up was based around the strengths of Webster.

He's recently said that his biggest worry now is to decide on the best way to set up for the Leeds game.

With potential incoming, it's going to be very hard for LJ to decide on who to play and where.

Imo... he'll go for tried and tested with Baker or Wright in place of Webster, and and new players on the bench.

Regardless...it's still very unsettling and not great preparation for the start of the season.

Absolutely right. I doubt I’ve seen a better central defensive pairing in well over half a century of watching City. Collier & Merrick were bloody good back in the day, for those who go back as far as I do, but it was a different era and standards are so much higher now.

Kallas & Webster would have formed the foundation stone of the team this season. LJ will obviously have been very well aware of the risk of losing him, but he’ll still be gutted, especially given the relative lateness of the move.

I don’t buy into all this excited rubbing of hands over the whopping great bundle of cash we’re getting. It wouldn’t take long to blow the lot at today’s crazy prices: there is very little time, we’ll be held to ransom because selling clubs know our situation, and frankly you could pay as much as you like - you won’t get another Championship defender of Webster’s quality at any price, in my opinion.

I’m a realist, I accept the reasons and criticise nobody, but I reserve the right to be very, very disappointed.

Having seen the way our team seem to work over transfers, I am sure they will be less than impressed by the way Brighton have publicised their offer, knowing it has yet to be accepted, and rather boastfully claiming that they will get the deal done. They may have their reasons I guess, much like being the first house in a selling chain, they might be putting out a message to the other clubs in the reported chain of players ending at Harry Maguire, but it still flies in the face of the way this kind of business should be done.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Having seen the way our team seem to work over transfers, I am sure they will be less than impressed by the way Brighton have publicised their offer, knowing it has yet to be accepted, and rather boastfully claiming that they will get the deal done. They may have their reasons I guess, much like being the first house in a selling chain, they might be putting out a message to the other clubs in the reported chain of players ending at Harry Maguire, but it still flies in the face of the way this kind of business should be done.

Same reason Villa did

To unsettle the player / force the issue

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It’s not official yet but LJ has accepted that Webster will be moving on and that’s good enough for me.

Can you show me where please? He said it’s going to be harder to keep him, but never saw him saying that Webster will 100% be going. 

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Absolutely right. I doubt I’ve seen a better central defensive pairing in well over half a century of watching City. Collier & Merrick were bloody good back in the day, for those who go back as far as I do, but it was a different era and standards are so much higher now.

Kallas & Webster would have formed the foundation stone of the team this season. LJ will obviously have been very well aware of the risk of losing him, but he’ll still be gutted, especially given the relative lateness of the move.

I don’t buy into all this excited rubbing of hands over the whopping great bundle of cash we’re getting. It wouldn’t take long to blow the lot at today’s crazy prices: there is very little time, we’ll be held to ransom because selling clubs know our situation, and frankly you could pay as much as you like - you won’t get another Championship defender of Webster’s quality at any price, in my opinion.

I’m a realist, I accept the reasons and criticise nobody, but I reserve the right to be very, very disappointed.

Good post with so many good points

1 hour ago, swanker said:

What about the player? What would you do if you were in his shoes? 

Knuckle down and get ready for the new season at the club I've signed a contract to. **** me, he's only given us one season. If he's as good as everyone says he is, the interest from the Premier League won't go away, so he should've given us one more season at least. 

As for City, 'It's good business', blah de blah. Well not really, as what's the point having the money if you're never able to build a team (because players keep buggering off the moment a Premier League club comes sniffing). 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Can’t stand in any players way AG. If you do you’ll have an unhappy and resentful player on your hands who won’t perform at his best

This is an opportunity for Webster to increase his wedge x4 and play in the PL All City can do is get the best deal they can and we can all trust MA to do just that,

and at 20 odd million he has done just that

20 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Why was he training yesterday risking injury before his big summer pay out?

Not saying I don’t think he’s off just it’s a bit further away then being announced today or tomorrow. 

Personally,I’ll only believe it when it’s officially announced,but my source is quite in the loop at Ashton,we’ll find out if he’s right by tomorrow anyway.

7 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Complete shambles if he goes. Typical City

"Typical City" - making about £16m to £17m profit on one player, in 12 months/recruiting brilliantly.

"Typical City" - selling players to clubs in the top division in the country.

"Typical City" - not now selling/losing our best players to divisional rivals.

"Typical City" -  finishing in the top half of the second tier.

"Typical City" - five consecutive seasons in the second tier of English football. 

"Typical City" - winning eleven away games in the league in the second tier.

"Typical City" - selling 15000 season tickets.

"Typical City" - producing our own players from our own academy to play in our own first team, at this level.

"Typical City" - having a plan, implementing it, moving up the league pyramid, not falling apart in the second tier after one big set-back/selling a key player.

"Typical City" - not sacking a losing manager we all wanted gone, and going on to improve and get stronger.

Ffs City - tch! Sort it out!

Typical.

PS - 1980 to 83 was a "complete shambles." Get yer "shambles" right.

Journalist on Twitter saying 25%. But their fans say 10%. Everyone was saying 20%. So no one seems to know how much Ipswich get, and even if it's of profit or of overall fee. As it sounded like Ipswich fans thought it was 10% of overall fee. Usually it is of profit though so who knows.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We are incredibly richer than yaouw. 

9 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

The annoying thing about this whole Webster saga. Is that it appears that we've known about him probably going all summer. But now it looks to be happening, we want to bring in 4 players.

I understand the reasoning behind replacing him at cb. But are we now saying that signing the other 3 players was dependant on the money from a potential Webster transfer. If so, that goes against the "we're in a great shape financially" mantra that's been quoted through the summer.

In reality the vast majority of transfer fees paid, have been so far funded by the departures. If we are in such a great shape, why has the possible signings.been delayed?

We.know the problems up front with getting people in. But rb,Cm? It's all very strange.

Maybe we don't have the money to spend that people think we have after all?

I think we were relying on a sale of O'Dowda in particular as he would yield the biggest fee.

Departures for Baker, Watkins and maybe Wright and Taylor too- one way or another. Free up wages and maybe get some fees/loan fees.

Then we might have been able to hold onto Webster and strengthen with between 1-3 more.

A downside of FFP at this level is the bottom can fall out of the market- hindering us as we've players we don't want, or who won't play on (not including O'Dowda ability wise but he's a saleable asset and has the contract question mark), but we can't shift- PL clubs won't buy them, they won't be on the radar of top division clubs in Europe and many League One clubs can't afford them even if they want them.

8 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Totally agree. The partnership with Kalas was the best I've seen at the Gate...and I'm sure one of the reasons Kalas chose to join us. I can't help but feel it might effect his game as well.

Everyone knows we need a Striker...if we go for proven at this level, then certain structures will be broken. Maybe age, price and wages. All feels like a gamble that could go either way.

My hope is that we get a loan cover with an option to buy to replace Webster, sign Palmer and get the young Arsenal lad in on loan. Then continue searching for a gem of a forward that fits with our structure, rather than spending the Webster money on a gamble.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not official yet but LJ has accepted that Webster will be moving on and that’s good enough for me.

Think we just need to get the deal done as soon as possible now, timing is important, as will clearly be a disruption to the rest of the team ahead of the first game on Sunday. Hopefully we have already put offers in for other players as replacements/players required?

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"Typical City" - making about £16m to £17m profit on one player, in 12 months/recruiting brilliantly.

"Typical City" - five consecutive seasons in the second tier of English football. 

"Typical City" - producing our own players from our own academy to play in our own first team, at this level.

"Typical City" - having a plan, implementing it, moving up the league pyramid, not falling apart in the second tier after one big set-back/selling a key player.

"Typical City" - not sacking a losing manager we all wanted gone, and going on to improve and get stronger.

Typical.

Ok, but what's your point?

;)

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

Sorry have I missed where this was announced on the OS?

It has been - in this case OS stands for Otib's Sage.

This transfer , if it goes through, reinforces the need to take your chances when they come. Last season we were in a great position with a great defence but chose not to go for it and get the striker we needed in January. Now we look like losing our best defender and face the prospect of rebuilding at the back even if we get the striker we need. And the rate at which we are losing are best players you never know when the chance might come again.

19 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Typical.

Yeah 15,000 season ticket holders who've been raving all year about this brilliant defender we've got, will now have to make do with watching bloody Bailey Wright or Nathan Baker again. Great. Meanwhile smaller clubs like Brighton end up in the Premier League. 

52 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Knuckle down and get ready for the new season at the club I've signed a contract to. **** me, he's only given us one season. If he's as good as everyone says he is, the interest from the Premier League won't go away, so he should've given us one more season at least. 

As for City, 'It's good business', blah de blah. Well not really, as what's the point having the money if you're never able to build a team (because players keep buggering off the moment a Premier League club comes sniffing). 

For comparison look at Derby ( previously known as Frank Lampard's Derby) a club most would regard as a major competitor, ex premier league able to compete much better than us financially  especially after their dodgy stadium deal in the spring.

Their challenge last season was heavily built on 3 loanees ( 2 of which were arguably their best players - among the best in the division)but  their loanees have returned to their parent club's.

Derby's manager's first press conference was completely deflating from a Derby fans' point of view, as he effectively admitted that the cupboard was bare - despite the owner "selling" Pride Park for £81m !)and that they would have to make do with academy players an loanees and their owner is now preaching sustainability is the way forward. I guess they would love to be losing a player for £20m so they can reinvest in the team.

Our challenge last season was also built on loanees - Kalas and Dasilva - but we have just spent £10m to sign them permanently so they can contribute to this season's challenge.I know Webster is under contract and the club could of course reject any offer. I also know that players should act professionally and do their job come what may, but how is a player not going to be affected by knowing that he had the chance of playing of the premier league increasing his personal income by a staggering amount but his club wouldn't allow him what possibly could be his one and only chance? 

The harsh reality of football's financial life , and especially with ffp biting ( 3 clubs had to carry out stadium sales to avoid punishment) is that even without Webster, keeping the rest of the team together will result in losses that will take us close to the ffp limits of £13m per season, so we still need player sales to cover losses and to fund other player acquisition - where is the money going to come from for the goalscoring striker everyone say we need?

Much as though many won't like it, in the next season or so, I think we will see that SL has been ahead of the game and that clubs used to competing at the top of the table by throwing money at it, in the good old way, will be coming down to earth with an ffp bump. We will still have club's with parachute payments to contend with of course, although Villa look as though they are well on the way to spending all their parachute payment even before they've been relegated, but our relative position will be getting stronger - you only have to look at other championship clubs transfer activity ( tor lack of) this summer to see that is already happening.

23 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Typical.

Yep, disgusting isn't it

We conceded 5 less last season compared to the season before. But scored 8 more in that season. Not sure Webster moving on, if it happens, will be quite the catastrophe some appear to believe. He's good, but the defence is not about one player, as comfortable on the ball as he is. We will need to adapt our play a little no doubt, but I think we played better for example, the season with Flint and Reid in the team, than last season with Webster and Diedhiou.

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah 15,000 season ticket holders who've been raving all year about this brilliant defender we've got, will now have to make do with watching bloody Bailey Wright or Nathan Baker again. Great. Meanwhile smaller clubs like Brighton end up in the Premier League. 

Brighton are a much bigger club than us.

Accept this hammer blow to your ego and you’ll see things much clearer :) 

Archived