Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Original OTIB

What Wast The First OTIB Post?

11 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

... and who was the first poster?

This is a four poster 

AA6EF051-54D3-42B3-8858-4E99D7FAF4BF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

The old forum used to be forum.bcfc.co.uk back in the day (iirc). When it was disbanded from the club officially and taken on by the Supporters Club, it became OTIB. 

@TomF is the man with the history books and can tell the full story.

I remember getting my first "interet dial-up" PC in 1999 and registering with the original forum then. It had been running, I would say, for at least 2 or 3 years prior to that, as I used to take a sneaky peak at work but didn't want to risk registering from my work PC, as that wasn't really allowed!

• Like 2

I remember on previous versions of this forum, at the foot of the page it stated whose birthday it was that day. Data protection laws rules that out.

You could also pick up gold stars for so many "likes" which would show against your name. As a result groups of friends would like each others posts and all have 5 gold stars under their name.

• Like 1

Thought the first post was Aizoon with his match report from the cup final loss to Man Utd.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Thought the first post was Aizoon with his match report from the cup final loss to Man Utd.

Followed by a "Harry Thickett out" thread, and someone moaning about supporters leaving early as they needed to feed the horses in their hansom cabs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Robbored slating Louis Carey was in there!

Yep......and some posters consider him a legend.............:cool2:

22 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I first joined in 2005, under a different incarnation.

Not Isaac or Warwick Hunt? 

2 hours ago, 22A said:

I remember on previous versions of this forum, at the foot of the page it stated whose birthday it was that day. Data protection laws rules that out.

You could also pick up gold stars for so many "likes" which would show against your name. As a result groups of friends would like each others posts and all have 5 gold stars under their name.

So if that was still in place we’d have one particular member with no stars at all...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Followed by a "Harry Thickett out" thread, and someone moaning about supporters leaving early as they needed to feed the horses in their hansom cabs.

There might also have been a post from Robbored accusing Thickett of being "nothing but a conference manager".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

The old forum used to be forum.bcfc.co.uk back in the day (iirc). When it was disbanded from the club officially and taken on by the Supporters Club, it became OTIB. 

Indeed and before all that the original forum was the 'The City List' which goes back to the mid-1990s (even pre Net Centre).

I was on that with around 20 - 30 other City fans and one would be emailed content from what I recall.

Some great posters back then with the likes of Aizoon, Rob F, JP, Jer B, Nick W, Keith M, Mick H - absolutely quality back then. 

Ah, memories!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I wonder what the first thread on the Netcentre was too @Olé

Should we sign Matt Smith?

Gilingham in the next round of the cup!

Who is Steve Lansdown?

Vera Lynn - has Rudolph.......................?

Edited by downendcity
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I think otib ran for a while as otib.co.uk on different forum software (dc forums?) perhaps between being forum.bcfc.co.uk (which was in scott davidson's time?) and being moved to the current invision software?

I can remember having an account on the old forum but mostly using net centre, I think I had to recreate it some time after the move to invision.

44 minutes ago, One Team said:

Indeed and before all that the original forum was the 'The City List' which goes back to the mid-1990s (even pre Net Centre).

I was on that with around 20 - 30 other City fans and one would be emailed content from what I recall.

Some great posters back then with the likes of Aizoon, Rob F, JP, Jer B, Nick W, Keith M, Mick H - absolutely quality back then. 

Ah, memories!  

Usernames weren't quite as inventive though!

4 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Pretty much correct - there have been 3 variants of the forum as such - the first one was very basic one in 97 that had no registration and you just typed a post in. Then in 1998 we moved to the D.C. forum system which was the one with threaded posts and very red all over. I used to have that still running as a read only archive for years but it was CGI/Perl based but that running on a Windows box was more painful than Pulis time at AG.  In Oct 2003 we moved from that to what we’re still running now which is Invision Power / Invision Community system software. Initially using MSSQL back end and then MySQL probably for last 9-10 years maybe.  It’s at that time in October 2003 that I helped GeoffA run it of sorts, Jan 2004 I joined Clik and have really had it as my sort of responsibility ever since. Geoff retired a few years ago now and lives in Scotland!  otib.co.uk always took you to the board but you are right we used forum.bcfc.co.uk until the club stopped funding it around 2006 - since then we’ve subsidised it’s running costs along with support from the ST/SC.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

... and who was the first poster?

That’s used 30 mins of my evening! 

this a personal favourite- look at him now 16 years on! 
kit man, club legend, all round good guy! Thank god he came back! 

Some blast from the past names posting back then.

I do often wonder what happened to likes of Malone FM, Dr Faustus, Godzilla etc. Always decent fun to be had reading their posts back then

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I do often wonder what happened to likes of Malone FM, Dr Faustus, Godzilla etc. Always decent fun to be had reading their posts back then

Godzilla is now a sports journalist with the BBC I believe (?).

I think he was 13 when he started posting on the city forums - hope I've got the right bloke !

8 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Arn and Lisa72 were regulars too

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think he was 13 when he started posting on the city forums - hope I've got the right bloke !

If you have got it right then fair play to the fella. From OTIB to BBC sports journalist is one helluva step up. 

Just now, RedLionLad said:

I forgot about Arn. He was prolific at posting on here. A bit like RR without the annoyance factor 

Just now, RED4LIFE said:

I forgot about Arn. He was prolific at posting on here. A bit like RR without the annoyance factor 

Always like the way he conducted himself. A world away from RR,

5 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Arn is still here under a different username.

24 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep, that's right. Often does the live text on our games.

31 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

If you have got it right then fair play to the fella. From OTIB to BBC sports journalist is one helluva backward step up

If he's with the BBC then editorial accuracy is essential.

51 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Faustas is/was gas, correct?

I have an inkling.

Goes back a bit, that does.

2005 when I first signed up.

Even with social media etc, I still log in to this forum most days. A fair bit of football related media gets linked by members here anyhow.

A skim at least in between jobs during the day and my evening 'stuff'.

👀👀👀 

Edited by Pickle Rick

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

x3widRacin...........another blast from the past. Last I heard of him, he came over for the P?o final, hope nhe made it back !

36 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

He was indeed a Gashead. Last I heard Grant was living up near Sheffield but that was a while back now so I could be wrong.

36 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

I have an inkling.

Goes back a bit, that does.

2005 when I first signed up.

Even with social media etc, I still log in to this forum most days. A fair bit of football related media gets linked by members here anyhow.

A skim at least in between jobs during the day and my evening 'stuff'.

👀👀👀 

I cant stand the City social media pages. They are just terrible. 

This place however is much different, there is more of a thought out debate with some really good posters present. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Godzilla is still to be found on here. Just under a different alias

Wonder what happened to the likes of Mark S Cal, ExiledinWatford, Kustard and Teepee. The real old school from the older forum.. 

• Like 1

Ashtonyate was a legend. Sadly I think he passed away.

He used to wind up so many people, but the funny thing was it never seemed intentional, it reminded me of my nana Christmas, just blurting out nonsense.

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Ashtonyate was a legend. Sadly I think he passed away.

He used to wind up so many people, but the funny thing was it never seemed intentional, it reminded me of my nana Christmas, just blurting out nonsense.

He sadly passed away before he would have finally seen the fruits of the academy he was so critical of at the beginning. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1